Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name (592 Views)

Need Help Regarding USA Adsense Account - Contact me / Drop Any Question Regarding Adsense Approval. I Will Try And Help. / Help Regarding Adsense On Opera Mini (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 18, 2014
Good evening fellows.

I have a question regarding domain name registration.

Assuming I register a domain name titled jegede.com. I notice that someone somewhere can also register jegede.org, or jegede.ng or jegede.com.ng.

Now, my question is: How can I stop anyone from using the word "jegede" ?

Thanks and remain blessed.
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by yoddy(m): 8:09pm On Jul 18, 2014
You can only make sure you register those you do not want others to register.
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by hushmail: 8:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
simple,
register the whole jegede urself.

including .org,.biz.,etc
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 18, 2014
hushmail: simple,
register the whole jegede urself.

including .org,.biz.,etc
Hmmm. Thanks
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 18, 2014
yoddy: You can only make sure you register those you do not want others to register.
tnx
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 18, 2014
@yoddy, @hushmail. So if I register google.ng which is available, google.com will not sue me or seize the name?
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by QuiverBox(f): 9:13pm On Jul 18, 2014
agonbello: @yoddy, @hushmail. So if I register google.ng which is available, google.com will not sue me or seize the name?

That's called domain Squatting and its illegal . Of course Google will sue you and win
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 18, 2014
QuiverBox:

That's called domain Squatting and its illegal . Of course Google will sue you and win
Ahaaa grin Thanks for this. So if I first register jegede.com, I can sue anybody that registers jegede.ng?
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by born2lead01: 9:40pm On Jul 18, 2014
File a patent/trademark then register other extensions.
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by QuiverBox(f): 10:19pm On Jul 18, 2014
agonbello: Ahaaa grin Thanks for this. So if I first register jegede.com, I can sue anybody that registers jegede.ng?

not exactly, you have to build a reputation for "jegede" and you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that other domain similar to yours want to take advantage of your reputation to thrive.

As someone earlier said, at this stage, just register as many jegede domain as possible
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by CBNIM: 11:16pm On Jul 18, 2014
Interesting! Op, register as many jegede's as possible!
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jul 18, 2014
I've gotten a picture of what to do. Thanks to you all for contributing.
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by yoddy(m): 12:37am On Jul 19, 2014
QuiverBox:

They do not even have to sue you. No registrar in their right minds will allow you have it.
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by WebHostingPal: 12:41am On Jul 19, 2014
agonbello: Good evening fellows.

I have a question regarding domain name registration.

Assuming I register a domain name titled jegede.com. I notice that someone somewhere can also register jegede.org, or jegede.ng or jegede.com.ng.

Now, my question is: How can I stop anyone from using the word "jegede" ?

Thanks and remain blessed.

As far as the Internet is concerned, there is no law and there wouldn't be any that would stop anybody from registering jegede.whatever

The best you you can do is to purchase the whole jegede.whatever which is basically pointless... grin
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by QuiverBox(f): 5:44am On Jul 19, 2014
yoddy:

They do not even have to sue you. No registrar in their right minds will allow you have it.

Exactly
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by Shadracksibeko: 9:18am On Jul 19, 2014
Hope u gt your answer, so tell us what kind of website will be on jegede.com lol
Re: Legal Issue Regarding Domain Name by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 19, 2014
Shadracksibeko: Hope u gt your answer, so tell us what kind of website will be on jegede.com lol
lol. I used Jegede.com just as an example.

(1) (Reply)

. / To The Webmaster / Applying For Adsense With A Wordpress Blog...pls Is This Possible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.