Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,438 members, 7,801,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. (886 Views)

A Brave New World? Atheist Priests/Pastors Coming To A Church Near You. / My Terrible Experience In A Church Today / Help! This Church Near My House Wont Let Me Sleep. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by babe12: 5:40am On Jul 19, 2014
We are considered one of the most religious countries in the world. Its quite amusing looking at the absurdity surrounding the getting saved business.
Yes, I said business cos that's exactly what it is. A very lucrative one at that.

I consider myself a christian and as a christian I respect other religions. I don't care if you are Hindu or Hare krishna, and the fact that 200 years ago, I probably would have been burnt at the stake for heresy and blasphemy doesn't escape me. Religion has always been a sensitive subject and used as an excuse for many atrocities. A friend of mine recently seemed shocked when I mentioned that Christians have been known to kill people based on their lack of sufficient faith. So pointing fingers at our muslim brothers is kind of hypocritical.

That aside, I can't help but notice the era of the Pastors. The self proclaimed messengers of God, the cult leaders, the gateway to false enlightenment and special access to God.

I fear for my soul and the souls of my people because Our God is a jealous God. You have handed over so much power to mortals like you with no spiritual and moral authority to guide you. You have become dumb and cannot state your case directly to the one who made you. You hand over money without being charitable to the ones who need it the most.

Last year, I met a personal assistant to a Pastor from Christ Embassy. They were lodged at Hilton because he came to collect Visa. You can certainly guess how much that costs because he was not even in a standard room. If I remember correctly, Jesus was not staying in the finest establishments in town. Apparently its like we decided Jesus was not ambitious enough, why else would he live so simply.

Do we fully understand what it means to love and fear God? To love our neighbours? It has nothing to do with wearing your sunday best and sitting in church for hours. Are you blind to the million ways you can praise God in your everyday life without even uttering a prayer of singing a hymn?

Certain facts every christian should know.

1. The very word Christian means you follow Christ and hs teachings, christlike in thoughts and actions, eager to be of assistance to your fellow man. In other words, what would Jesus do.

2. You are christian based on your location of birth and the belief system of your parents. So if you were born in India, 95 percent chance you would be serving a female deity with 3 heads or a cow.

3. There is a reson why there are different religions and its not for us to be right or fight but for us to learn from the positive aspects of different religions.

4. Remember the story of the Pharisees? A church on every corner sounds a little familiar.

5. A church on every corner is not interested in your salvation but serves as collection point for cash.

6. Your Pastor does not have a special unlisted phone number to communicate with God.

7. Christianity is not a special club for weekly meetings but a way of life.

8. Prayer and fasting will not solve all your problems.

9. Its not meant to be complicated or require deliverance as the only demon that is affecting you, is you. God has made it easy for you, complication is the most effective tool used to get you to open your wallet.

10. Open your eyes, ask questions. It is acceptable to crave deeper meaning of any doctrine. Your creator that gave you a brain requires that you use it.

11. If you fear your faith will waver when you read stuff like this post or read dissenting opinions, watch films that question the facts of the bible, then faith you do not have. I believe inn God not because the bible tells me to but because of logic. My faith never waivers no matter what I'm exposed to.

So my fellow followers of Christ, what are you doing with these middle men that decided to retail salvation? Is your faith not enough to get you by. If not then it certainly isn't enough to save you? Someone just said Jesus will save you but I fear Jesus has left the church building. There are so many places where you can find him and it will cost you nothing.
All you need is to show love and he will always be there.

For those of you drinking the kool aid, stop wasting your money, go find something christ like to do. Imagine how many hungry children would be fed, educated and taken proper care of health wise, with the money used to purchase private jets, pay for luxurious hotels.

Sowing a seed by helping those in actual need is the highest form of gratitude you can show God. Do this rather than sowing a seed in church to pay for a Pastor's lifestyle that you can't even afford.

5 Likes

Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 6:46am On Jul 19, 2014
Even though i agree with u to some extent, u tend to move towards universalism which is unscriptural n unchristlike. Though Jesus lived n walked with the poor n everyone, he definitely made everyone know that salvation is tru Him alone n not just being nice n a good person irrespective of what u believe.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by qlp007(m): 7:46am On Jul 19, 2014
Truth be told, you are on point.
Retail indeed!
Sunday tonic! Read your bible and understand it! Simple!
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by babe12: 1:37pm On Jul 19, 2014
Its hard to know exactly what Jesus said since whether we like it or not, it all heresay. However when we get caught up in certain details, it becomes problematic. You believe this because that is what you were taught. Nothing wrong with that but bear in mind people of other religions were taught something else. Maybe I'm open minded cos I come from a family of christians and Muslims. I have had discussions with Hare Krishna monks, these people are not aliens, they are just like you and I.

You can choose to hold on to what you have been taught , I choose not to hold on to anything that says if you are not Christian you are going to hell. I choose to hold on to the positive aspects of christianity and not the negative aspect that seeks to exclude. I will always question the legitimacy of certain words of the Bible, after all it was written by men. We make it so easy for the devil to use our beliefs against us.

So no, I do not believe Jesus is the only way, the only way is to love your neighbour as yourself.

[quote authorgh i agree with u to some extent, u tend to move towards universalism which is unscriptural n unchristlike. Though Jesus lived n walked with the poor n everyone, he definitely made everyone know that salvation is tru Him alone n not just being nice n a good person irrespective of what u believe.[/quote]
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 4:21pm On Jul 19, 2014
Obviously u aren't a xtian, so maybe u should try found another word to qualify urself.

1 Like

Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by ayoku777(m): 4:37pm On Jul 19, 2014
PastorOluT: Obviously u aren't a xtian, so maybe u should try found another word to qualify urself.

You are right there. If you believe Jesus is not the ONLY way, then you might as well not believe He is the way. Such a person is practising moralism not christianity.

Jesus is not A way, He is THE way. And the Holy Spirit will never bear witness to such a claim with our spirit.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 5:05pm On Jul 19, 2014
ayoku777:

You are right there. If you believe Jesus is not the ONLY way, then you might as well not believe He is the way. Such a person is practising moralism not christianity.

Jesus is not A way, He is THE way. And the Holy Spirit will never bear witness to such a claim with our spirit.

On point, bt unfortunately many hold on to such erroneous beliefs.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 19, 2014
PastorOluT: Obviously u aren't a xtian, so maybe u should try found another word to qualify urself.

as expected judging without answering the question or commenting on the post.

We know Jesus is the way , but what about the billions in the OT and NT who never heard about Jesus , HOW CAN OR WILL THEY BE SAVED ?
According to your religion, they are all damned to hell because it is their fault for not hearing, right ?

SMH
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 5:25pm On Jul 19, 2014
frosbel:

We know Jesus is the way , but what about the billions in the OT and NT who never heard about Jesus , HOW CAN OR WILL THEY BE SAVED ?
According to your religion, they are all damned to hell because it is their fault for not hearing, right ?

SMH

So what does ur fresh gospel says? Jesus, mohamed, Buddha, etc are pals n would eventually sweep all their faithful followers to Heaven right?
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 19, 2014
PastorOluT:
So what does ur fresh gospel says? Jesus, mohamed, Buddha, etc are pals n would eventually sweep all their faithful followers to Heaven right?

You have not answered my question , is it not because you do not have the answers ?
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by ayoku777(m): 6:02pm On Jul 19, 2014
frosbel:

SMH
That's a valid question. If Jesus is the ONLY way (and He is), how will the Lord judge those who lived and died under the Old covenant, before His death and resurrection; and also those who died after His resurrection before they were presented with the gospel of Christ and the choice of accepting or rejecting?

I've prayerfully done some meditative study on that topic and two scriptures jumped at me:

1Peter 3v18-19 -For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us unto God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit. By which also He went and PREACHED UNTO THE SPIRITS in prison.

1Peter 4v6 -For this cause was the GOSPEL PREACHED ALSO TO THEM THAT ARE DEAD, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

The first verse, said that Jesus went to Hell and preached to the spirits of those "which sometime were disobedient", specifically during the time of Noah. And the second verse was even more general about the audience; He said the gospel was preached to them "that are dead".

Whether this referred to the spirits of those who died during the time of Noah or under the Old covenant, or all who died without hearing about Christ in their lifetime -is yet debatable (though I believe the latter). Even so, it nevetheless establishes a basic truth -THE GOSPEL CAN BE HEARD EVEN IN DEATH.

I believe that everyone will hear the gospel and be presented with the privilege and option of accepting or rejecting Christ before they stand before His judgment seat. And that gospel can be heard, either in life or in death. These two scriptures establish that.

If that is true, it means that the age you lived and died is immaterial, Faith in Christ Jesus is still the only way to eternal life with the Father.

2 Likes

Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 6:33pm On Jul 19, 2014
^^^ The problem wiith frosbel is he never agrees with what is beyond his comprehension, he forget to realize that we know in part n prophesy in part bt when perfection comes imperfection will be done away with.

1 Like

Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by babe12: 10:45pm On Jul 19, 2014
So you choose to exclude me because I do not share all your beliefs. Pastor Olu right, this is one of the things I talked about. Its not an exclusive, invitation can be rescinded club. I choose to identify as christian based on my upbringing, it could have gone either way. I don't have to defend my faith to you. Neither do you have the right to say I shouldn't call myself christian.

Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by babe12: 10:51pm On Jul 19, 2014
I get you. I'm certainly not trying to underestimate the importance of Jesus Christ and his teachings, I'm saying for me it sounds funny that everyone else who is not christian so doesn't believe in Jesus christ will not have a place in heaven.

How do you convince a devout muslim to accept Christ, the same way no one can convince you to accept the doctrine of Mohammed. Who is right and who is wrong? No one is wrong. We all serve one God.

ayoku777:

Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 19, 2014
^^

The problem is that Christians think they are sole possessors of the truth and understand all things but this is not the case.

First off, many will be saved on that last day to the shock of many religious people, remember what Jesus said :

"But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" -Matthew 8:12

Secondly , no one is going to heaven, this is another misnomer.

Salvation will be into a new rejuvenated kingdom established on this earth where there is no more war, pain, curse, crying , sorrow etc.

"But, according to his promise, we look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. ..." - 2 Peter 3:13
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by babe12: 11:15pm On Jul 19, 2014
Something like that. They are all pals, its the devil that tries to convince us they are enemies. The same devil that tries to convince us we should be enemies because of different beliefs that hurts no one.

We can't all be the same but we are also similar. As I get older I'm begginning to appreciate the different things different religions have to offer. The Amish are known for isolating themselves and practise shunning of the ones they love yet they practice the true spirit of brotherhood, dedicate their lives to service, muslims practise polygamy which I'm completely against, the women have to cover their heads, yet they pray numerous times a day, it takes true dedication to do that, they also share meals together, feed the poor and practise abstinence for unmarried people. Now the Christians have redemption through Jesus Christ, we believe there is no sin that can not be forgiven once it is confessed, it makes us free in a way, gives us a sense of entitlement. We know when we stray we can always come back like the prodigal son, it also means we always flaunt the rules as we take them for granted. In a way we are like spoilt children but it makes us more accepting of others and their flaws.

My point is there is a lot of good and bad in every religion. We should try to focus on the good and not miss out on the lessons we are meant to learn from each other.

PastorOluT:

Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 7:28am On Jul 20, 2014
babe12: Something like that. They are all pals, its the devil that tries to convince us they are enemies. The same devil that tries to convince us we should be enemies because of different beliefs that hurts no one.

We can't all be the same but we are also similar. As I get older I'm begginning to appreciate the different things different religions have to offer. The Amish are known for isolating themselves and practise shunning of the ones they love yet they practice the true spirit of brotherhood, dedicate their lives to service, muslims practise polygamy which I'm completely against, the women have to cover their heads, yet they pray numerous times a day, it takes true dedication to do that, they also share meals together, feed the poor and practise abstinence for unmarried people. Now the Christians have redemption through Jesus Christ, we believe there is no sin that can not be forgiven once it is confessed, it makes us free in a way, gives us a sense of entitlement. We know when we stray we can always come back like the prodigal son, it also means we always flaunt the rules as we take them for granted. In a way we are like spoilt children but it makes us more accepting of others and their flaws.

My point is there is a lot of good and bad in every religion. We should try to focus on the good and not miss out on the lessons we are meant to learn from each other.

Smile, gospel according to Babe12. I like ur heart, u sincerely have a good heart, bt babe one can be sincere but sincerely wrong. It takes much more than sincerity n just being a good person to be saved, before u quote me i dint say that but the bible.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 7:31am On Jul 20, 2014
babe12: So you choose to exclude me because I do not share all your beliefs. Pastor Olu right, this is one of the things I talked about. Its not an exclusive, invitation can be rescinded club. I choose to identify as christian based on my upbringing, it could have gone either way. I don't have to defend my faith to you. Neither do you have the right to say I shouldn't call myself christian.

Nope why should i ignore u? I am Only seeing ur quote now. Smile, I am not rigid as u might have misplaced me irrespective of my beliefs bt very fun to be with 'babe'.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 7:35am On Jul 20, 2014
frosbel: ^^

The problem is that Christians think they are sole possessors of the truth and understand all things but this is not the case.

First off, many will be saved on that last day to the shock of many religious people, remember what Jesus said :

"But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" -Matthew 8:12

Secondly , no one is going to heaven, this is another misnomer.

Salvation will be into a new rejuvenated kingdom established on this earth where there is no more war, pain, curse, crying , sorrow etc.

"But, according to his promise, we look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. ..." - 2 Peter 3:13

Are u for real, do u have a different bible or what? If u tell me u don't believe d bible then i won't have problem with u bt saying what d bible doesn't say n claiming to believe it is heresy.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 20, 2014
PastorOluT:

Are u for real, do u have a different bible or what? If u tell me u don't believe d bible then i won't have problem with u bt saying what d bible doesn't say n claiming to believe it is heresy.

you obviously do not understand the bible that is why you keep holding unto religious myths.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 3:28pm On Jul 20, 2014
frosbel:

you obviously do not understand the bible that is why you keep holding unto religious myths.

U that understands the bible was yet to explain when the bible uses the word Hell, fire, burning forever n ever, torments, weeping n gnashing of teeth, just to mention a few.

Do u hope to wish all these away or what?
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 20, 2014
PastorOluT:

U that understands the bible was yet to explain when the bible uses the word Hell, fire, burning forever n ever, torments, weeping n gnashing of teeth, just to mention a few.

Do u hope to wish all these away or what?

"…3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths." - 2 Timothy 4:4

Mark the word Myth.

A lot of what is being preached today as fact is actually Myth.

Read the bible with sincerity and ask God for wisdom to understand.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 5:01pm On Jul 20, 2014
frosbel:

"…3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths." - 2 Timothy 4:4

Mark the word Myth.

A lot of what is being preached today as fact is actually Myth.

Read the bible with sincerity and ask God for wisdom to understand.

Somehow for u frosbel, how does this counter the question? I really don't want to quote scriptures for u 'cos i know this is exactly what u will be doing, quoting scriptures out of context.

True what the scriptures says is right, bt what does it say about Hell, everlasting fire, forever n ever, torments, weeping n gnashing of teeth?
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by plaetton: 6:10pm On Jul 20, 2014
PastorOluT: Even though i agree with u to some extent, u tend to move towards universalism which is unscriptural n unchristlike. Though Jesus lived n walked with the poor n everyone, he definitely made everyone know that salvation is tru Him alone n not just being nice n a good person irrespective of what u believe.

Big Liar.
This is the biggest absurdity.
If Jesus even believed that kind of kindergarten crap, he would have lived 500yrs, enough time to personally take his message to every corner of the known world.

It is absurdity and irrationality like this that religion is entirely made of.
That is why religion is inherently incongruent to to both personal and external harmony.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 20, 2014
PastorOluT:

Somehow for u frosbel, how does this counter the question? I really don't want to quote scriptures for u 'cos i know this is exactly what u will be doing, quoting scriptures out of context.

True what the scriptures says is right, bt what does it say about Hell, everlasting fire, forever n ever, torments, weeping n gnashing of teeth?

A God who disapproves of torture and yet commits the worst type of torture is not fit to be worshipped especially when he is supposed to be a God of Love.

You cannot be Love and Hate at the same time.

The God I know is Love.

Stop blaspheming the name of God, stop it now !!
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by plaetton: 6:14pm On Jul 20, 2014
PastorOluT:

And is there something with Jesus, Mohamed and Buddha being pals?

I guess that you are sooo Christian that you would now choose for Jesus whom his pals should be?

Be honest, in terms of mentality, how do you differ from the Islamic fundamentalist that we all love to condemn for their intolerance?
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by plaetton: 6:16pm On Jul 20, 2014
PastorOluT: ^^^ The problem wiith frosbel is he never agrees with what is beyond his comprehension, he forget to realize that we know in part n prophesy in part bt when perfection comes imperfection will be done away with.

Ahhh, yes!

Invoking prophecy and all the other Babble babble.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 8:56pm On Jul 20, 2014
frosbel:

A God who disapproves of torture and yet commits the worst type of torture is not fit to be worshipped especially when he is supposed to be a God of Love.

You cannot be Love and Hate at the same time.

The God I know is Love.

Stop blaspheming the name of God, stop it now !!

U still have said nothing concerning my question.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by PastorOluT(m): 8:58pm On Jul 20, 2014
plaetton:

Ahhh, yes!

Invoking prophecy and all the other Babble babble.

Hmm, good to have u back. I have always wondered where u @ after the crash bt there was no one to ask. Good to know u are still well n kicking.

But as for ur sarcasm, i have nothing to say my friend.
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by babe12: 10:05pm On Jul 20, 2014
Does it bother anyone that a lot of evangelism today is focused on personal prosperity, whether financially or healthwise. From personal experience I have seen the kindest people stricken down with illness. Even without being told we can see he works in mysterious ways.

Every sunday churches are full, I choose not to join the fray, I merely observe. Why are we having all these problems in this country? What exactly are the multitudes of Nigerian christians praying for? Someone please tell me?
Re: Salvation In A Church Near You. We Sell Retail. by plaetton: 10:46pm On Jul 20, 2014
PastorOluT:

Hmm, good to have u back. I have always wondered where u @ after the crash bt there was no one to ask. Good to know u are still well n kicking.

But as for ur sarcasm, i have nothing to say my friend.

grin

I am fine. Thank you very.
I hope you are too.

I was just minutes away from checking myself into rehab centre for idle and bored atheists before NAIRALAND came back online.
What would life be without the homo religious of Naira land?

(1) (Reply)

How To Be Under The Holy Spirit's Guidance / Message To Every Christian Nigeria Today. / Pastor Tunde Bakare Visited Ota Shrine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.