Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,353 members, 7,808,237 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast (796 Views)

Muslim Store Robbed. Robber Reverts To Islam / My Experience As A Church Worker For 6months / Pastor Refuses To Perform Ceremony Because Of Bride’s ‘Sexy Dress’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by TheBigUrban2: 6:30am On Jul 19, 2014
Tesco in Neasden has issued an apology after a Muslim worker refused to serve a customer buying ham and wine because he was fasting for Ramadan.

Julie Cottle, has lodged a complaint with Tesco after the employee at the manned till inside the Express branch in west London insisted she use the self-service checkout.

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar when Muslims, who are strictly forbidden from consuming alcohol and pork at all times, fast between dawn and sunset.

Mrs Cottle said: “He pointed at the ham and wine in my basket and said ‘I can’t serve you that because I’m fasting’.

“When I told him he should be serving customers not turning them away he still refused telling me to go to the self-service.

“I was furious.”

When Mrs Cottle, a mother-of-three, complained to the manager she said he backed the worker.

“He insisted I use the self-checkout but said he would pass on my complaint,” she said.

“I’m disgusted. If he is refusing to do his job he shouldn’t be there.”

Mrs Cottle said after calling customer services when she got home she was told the worker could face disciplinary action.

She added: “I hope he does. If he can’t serve food he shouldn’t be working in a supermarket.”

A spokesman for Tesco said: “We’re here to serve our customers the products they choose to buy. We don’t have a specific policy and take a pragmatic approach if a colleague raises concerns about a job they have been asked to do.

“We apologise to our customer for any inconvenience on this occasion.”

Source; http://www.london24.com/news/muslim_tesco_worker_refuses_to_sell_ham_and_wine_during_ramadan_1_3686394

Why work in a store that sells ham and wine, when you feel that your religion stops you from doing so?

1 Like

Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 19, 2014
This is making a big deal out of nothing.
Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by ninja4life(m): 7:20am On Jul 19, 2014
Man must chop cheesy hypocrites
Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by TheBigUrban2: 7:23am On Jul 19, 2014
striktlymi: This is making a big deal out of nothing.

Who is making the big deal?

I hope you are talking about the muslim making a big deal of his religion. I hope

1 Like

Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by TheBigUrban2: 7:23am On Jul 19, 2014
ninja4life: Man must chop cheesy hypocrites

man must wack grin grin grin
Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by Burger01(m): 7:42am On Jul 19, 2014
Muslim and their wahala. Always making mountain out of molehill. If he doesn't want to serve or sell forbidden beverages then he should do the needful. Stop working with Tesco. Na small small dem dey cause unwarranted troubles in the name of religion. undecided
Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 19, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Who is making the big deal?

I hope you are talking about the muslim making a big deal of his religion. I hope

Both sides!

The Muslim dude is stretching something very basic. If he can't serve ham then he should do so without inconveniencing the customers. It's all about making the proper arrangements with some of his co-workers.

The lady too, though a customer, should at least have tried to be a bit more understanding with this guy. Her insistence (I presume) on this dude serving her ham is also stretching a simple matter. If someone else can get her what she wants then she should free the Muslim dude.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by TheBigUrban2: 7:49am On Jul 19, 2014
striktlymi:

Both sides!

The Muslim dude is stretching something very basic. If he can't serve ham then he should do so without inconveniencing the customers. It's all about making the proper arrangements with some of his co-workers.

The lady too, though a customer, should at least have tried to be a bit more understanding with this guy. Her insistence (I presume) on this dude serving her ham is also stretching a simple matter. If someone else can get her what she wants then she should free the Muslim dude.

@ bold;

I can tell that you are a very local man. In western and developed countries, there is something called customer service.

You can not refuse a customer service that he or she is entitled to, especially with flimsy reasons. The customer is king.

A big company can not maltreat the customer. If your company is a store that sells foodstuff, wine and groceries, you can not refuse a customer such a service based on religious grounds.

As you can see, the woman customer got an apology from the company.

Please, travel out and learn if you can

4 Likes

Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by Burger01(m): 8:00am On Jul 19, 2014
striktlymi:

Both sides!

I don't think you know what are talking about. you're simply confused. Call a spade a spade, the Muslim guy erred. His action negate the policy of his organisation. The customer had the right of choice of whatever she could buy in that store. She less bothered about who's to serve her or what religion that person serves. The action of the Muslim guy was extreme and biased as far as Tesco is concerned.

3 Likes

Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by TheBigUrban2: 8:01am On Jul 19, 2014
Burger01:
I don't think you know what are talking about. you're simply confused. Call a spade a spade, the Muslim guy erred. His action negate the policy of his organisation. The customer had the right of choice of whatever she could by in that store. She less bothered about who's to serve her or what religion that person serves. The action of the Muslim guy was extreme and biased as far as Tesco is concerned.

Well said
Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by Nobody: 8:10am On Jul 19, 2014
Burger01:
I don't think you know what are talking about. you're simply confused. Call a spade a spade, the Muslim guy erred. His action negate the policy of his organisation. The customer had the right of choice of whatever she could by in that store. She less bothered about who's to serve her or what religion that person serves. The action of the Muslim guy was extreme and biased as far as Tesco is concerned.

How do you know that his action is against the company's policy? Your thoughts on that seems to suggest that you neither read nor understood the OP properly.

A complaint was made to the manager who backed the Muslim dude. What does that suggests? The manager and the Muslim dude are both doing something against the company's policy? I think not!

The fact that the Company seems to be very reluctant in dishing out punitive measures against the Muslim dude seems to suggest that the Muslim dude was given permission not to serve ham during this period.

Like I said, both sides made a big deal out of nothing. This shouldn't have escalated if they had been a bit more understanding and the planning was right.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by TheBigUrban2: 8:17am On Jul 19, 2014
striktlymi:

How do you know that his action is against the company's policy? Your thoughts on that seems to suggest that you neither read nor understood the OP properly.

A complaint was made to the manager who backed the Muslim dude. What does that suggests? The manager and the Muslim dude are both doing something against the company's policy? I think not!

The fact that the Company seems to be very reluctant in dishing out punitive measures against the Muslim dude seems to suggest that the Muslim dude was given permission not to serve ham during this period.

Like I said, both sides made a big deal out of nothing. This shouldn't have escalated if they had been a bit more understanding and the planning was right.

Do you know how many managers tesco has? hundreds.....it has many stores across the UK. Even the company isnt backing the manager or the store worker.

You have no idea what you are talking about. simple

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by Burger01(m): 8:25am On Jul 19, 2014
striktlymi:

Ogbeni, you're still confused..

....A spokesman for Tesco said: “We’re here to serve our customers the products they choose to buy. We don’t have a specific policy and take a pragmatic approach if a colleague raises concerns about a job they have been asked to do....

Now, what do you make of that...

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 19, 2014
Burger01:

....A spokesman for Tesco said: “We’re here to serve our customers the products they choose to buy. We don’t have a specific policy and take a pragmatic approach if a colleague raises concerns about a job they have been asked to do....

What exactly do you want them to say? That the customer should have been a bit more understanding and the employee did a good job
Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by TheBigUrban2: 9:21am On Jul 19, 2014
Burger01:

Dont mind striklymi. He has no idea about what he is talking about. He probably shouts at his customers like they do at govt offices in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Muslim Store Worker Refuses To Serve Customer B Buying Ham And Wine because Of Fast by TheBigUrban2: 7:11am On Jul 20, 2014
ninja4life: Man must chop cheesy hypocrites

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Says God Directs Him To Impregnate Married Women And Thief Daughters. / Spiritually Hungry Iranians Asking "Who Is This Jesus?" / He Needs Help On How To Stop Masturbating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.