Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? (31783 Views)

Why Does The Milk Always Finish Before The Bournvita? / The Price Of Garri / What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by samseen02(m): 8:57am On Jul 20, 2014
zoeee: Is garri an English word? If yes , what is its local name? If No, what is its English name?
Gosh, and this wan make front page
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Barselonia(m): 9:13am On Jul 20, 2014
na wa 4 u... is garrium sulphite botanical name.. garri pigin name

Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by xtervaganza(m): 9:14am On Jul 20, 2014
Gary Neville
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by lorRhyMeZ: 9:21am On Jul 20, 2014
Garri is possibly a Hausa word cos any powdery substance is called Garri. E.g

Garrin Kwaki--Powdery substance made from cassava.

Garrin Masara--Powdered Maize or maize flour

Basically Garri in hausa means Powdered,so it cud b Garri anything sofar its powdered.

7 Likes

Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by kultimate009: 9:28am On Jul 20, 2014
krall: AY TV has asked me this now zoeee is asking me again

To all spacebookers If this make frontpage lemme die.
U just got your wish..... Hope u r prepared
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 20, 2014
Take it or leave it...
Garri name ȋ̝̊̅§ from Yorubas...
The name ȋ̝̊̅§ gotten as a result of it processing method...
It was said,they will 1)Gaa...that's to arrange the peeled cassava tubers in basket to grind.
Then 2) Rii...that's to pressed in order for water to drain a little before roasting on fire...

Lols....heard it from a granny then...

Never knw Ђ☺ true it ȋ̝̊̅§...

But garri name seems somehow to yoruba naming...
All these of getting the. Source. Of things in africa ȋ̝̊̅§ as a result of not keeping data...
Chai...africa what a many lost treasure...

2 Likes

Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Westymee: 9:33am On Jul 20, 2014
Garri is just a slang from garrium,The real name came from an english man called garry. It as been a local food in africa long before colonial master came. Please try and test ghana garri is the best garri have tested.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by ademega(m): 9:35am On Jul 20, 2014
This is not a researchable post !
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Westymee: 9:38am On Jul 20, 2014
Ghana garri is pure white, crispy,very dry,taste more like ijebu garri but far better than ijebu garri and red garri. Try soak one today with donqua.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 20, 2014

i hope u've had a will prepared.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by kultimate009: 9:55am On Jul 20, 2014
Get the meanin here..... en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garri
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by nagoma(m): 10:01am On Jul 20, 2014
lorRhyMeZ: Garri is possibly a Hausa word cos any powdery substance is called Garri. E.g
Basically Garri in hausa means Powdered,so it cud b Garri anything sofar its powdered.

You have tried. But I'm amazes at the intellectual bankruptcy on nairaland. No attempt to read or to think at all. So sorry.

I don't know where the name Garri comes from but there is a very old Hausa word Gari (same pronunciation with Garri ). It means any powdery ground material especially foodstuff. Ground grains eg Garin Dawa (guinea corn Garri ) Garin masara ( maize flower) Garin sugar. It can also be other substances eg Garin Magani ( ground medicine like alabukum powder.)
Ground food stuff ((cereal) mixed with water used to be the major diet in the north many centuries ago. This was especially so for travelers who cannot always carry cooked meals. Traveling on horseback on donkeys and trekking takes very long time and required ready fast food. For example nowadays 1hr 15min. Takes you to kano from Zaria. Before 120 years ago it was a standard 5 days journey and you need to take a lot of "garri" with you.
The age of this ancient word in Hausa language can be realized by its occurence in old proverbs and in the naming of towns and villages.
1. "Yaro da Garri Abokin tafiyar manya". Meaning - A young boy who has Garri (powdered cereal) can journey with the elders.
2. Wanda Allah Ya zuba Ma GARInsa nono Ba zai sha da tsamiya Ba. Meaning- who God powers milk in his Garri he will not have to drink it with just tamarind. ( milk with Garri was luxury while tamarind fruit available in the forest can just improve the taste.)
3." Wanka da GARI ba ya maganin yunwa. " Meaning- taking bath with Garri is not a cure for hunger.
Think about the meaning of these 3 old proverbs.
You may also remember an old town in sokoto state called "Shagari"( where a former president comes from.) The name denotes affluence as indicated by a lot of Garri you can drink.

9 Likes

Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 20, 2014
And how will this affect the price of Garri in the market?

President! grin
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by sol2galay: 10:26am On Jul 20, 2014
Garri is a corrupt word for "ngarri" which is and Igbo word, it is where "iri ngarri(Igbo) or eating garri(english)" come from which iz a literal meaning for corruption in Igbo language.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by deavicky(m): 11:14am On Jul 20, 2014
experimentist: *modified*

I had a sleepless night making research jx for you @OP, it original word comes frm Chelsea, Gary Cahil.
it is not true go back to ur research. Garri is an English word gotten from the name Garrison. Garrison is the name of the man that discovered Egbe
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Donpuffy(m): 11:17am On Jul 20, 2014
lorRhyMeZ: Garri is possibly a Hausa word cos any powdery substance is called Garri. E.g

this is the most reasonable anwser I've seen.

I could av said garri originated from Yorubaland but d above explanation made me change my thought.

Garri is never an English word.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by lorRhyMeZ: 11:17am On Jul 20, 2014
Westymee: Ghana garri is pure white, crispy,very dry,taste more like ijebu garri but far better than ijebu garri and red garri. Try soak one today with donqua.

Garri and donkuwa keh? U wan choke ursef?
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by experimentist: 11:21am On Jul 20, 2014
deavicky: it is not true go back to ur research. Garri is an English word gotten from the name Garrison. Garrison is the name of the man that discovered Egbe
it is from Gary dat Garrison is coined
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by fighalo(m): 11:43am On Jul 20, 2014

wen b ur burial abeg.
front page tinx
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by fighalo(m): 11:48am On Jul 20, 2014
that's not an english name, the english name is casava flakes.. I guess garri is from d were it is from

no offence... cos I knw say NL gat characters
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by iamord(m): 11:49am On Jul 20, 2014
Westymee: Ghana garri is pure white, crispy,very dry,taste more like ijebu garri but far better than ijebu garri and red garri. Try soak one today with donqua.
I tell u.m its so crisp and has this porp corn feeling in the mouth..and clean too.. Ghana garri is first the ijebuu.. I don't like the igbo garri at all.especially the yellow one
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by iamord(m): 11:52am On Jul 20, 2014
soludo93: Gari originates from Gar Language in Ghana. it's English name is tapioca. The entire west African countries recognize it as Garri and we are the largest producers of processed cassava in the world.
correction its ga and not gah.. Its spoken by the traditional inhabitants of accra
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by manosteel(m): 11:55am On Jul 20, 2014
Garri originated from Gabon, there it is called Ugali.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Dmatter(m): 12:32pm On Jul 20, 2014
Yoruba: garri
English: cassava grain
Chemical formular: G2SO4 grin

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by wayne4loan: 12:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
zoeee: Is garri an English word? If yes , what is its local name? If No, what is its English name?
question for the gods
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by wayne4loan: 12:35pm On Jul 20, 2014

GO AND DIE
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Harmvirus(f): 12:54pm On Jul 20, 2014
Dmatter: Yoruba: garri
English: cassava grain
Chemical formular: G2SO4 grin
Lol. Ur chemical formular na die.

@op I don't know.. Just here to read comments
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by pelvicky(m): 12:59pm On Jul 20, 2014

av u seen ur life,,c as d topic hit fp like gotze germany goal against argentina for final

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by fckmn24seg(m): 1:09pm On Jul 20, 2014

Guess you are dead and buried by now
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Mattin(m): 1:20pm On Jul 20, 2014
This got me thinking when I was young and no answer has been ascertain till now!
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by pazienza(m): 1:26pm On Jul 20, 2014
Shehucom: its suprising that all d tribes in nigeria call it that general name. BTW na why southerners dey call EBA self garri

Nobody calls garri Eba in Igboland. Eba is a lagos/SW thing.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by pazienza(m): 1:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
sol2galay: Garri is a corrupt word for "ngarri" which is and Igbo word, it is where "iri ngarri(Igbo) or eating garri(english)" come from which iz a literal meaning for corruption in Igbo language.

Garri is not an Igbo word,stop trying too hard to link it to Igbo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 Foods That Shouldn’t Be Kept In The Refrigerator / How do you make your noodles? (picture) / Which Nigerian Food Would You Confidently Offer A Foreigner? (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.