Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,707 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:34 PM

What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam (12156 Views)

Difference Between Butter And Mangerine / Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date / Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by SilvanusII(m): 8:10am On Jul 20, 2014
Apparently, the carbohydrate still dey form in new yam. Its quite bitter in raw form-carbohydrate components I mean. In older yam, tlall dat one don settle
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by lonelydora: 8:38am On Jul 20, 2014
Old yam tastes better because its dry already and hence the extra money u pay.
New yam is fresh from harvest and still have some water in it. When the new yam stands the heat of the sun, with time it will dry up and turn to old yam. Example is Zaki-biam and onitsha yam

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by MsFaith: 9:01am On Jul 20, 2014
Old yam is sweeter and harder. New yam is watery and tasteless and sometimes bitter
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Temidayo9(m): 9:06am On Jul 20, 2014
The main difference is... one is NEW and the other is OLD. What else do you need?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by ogb5(m): 9:21am On Jul 20, 2014
The older you are the more experienced you are.

Old yam has more experience than new yam grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by deavicky(m): 11:06am On Jul 20, 2014
JadeWilliam: I really need 2knw cos I went 2markt 2day&the price of old yam is annoying higher than new yam so I asked myself,is there anythng special abt old yam?
the difference between new yam and old yam is TIME
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by sleekman(m): 11:24am On Jul 20, 2014
Who says new yam can't be pounded? You know nothing about yam. There are different types of yam.
All these are d 9ja names
Water yam
Red yam
Hausa yam
Alebun
Okhin/white yam

Water yam and Alebun cannot be pounded cos they don't mould. Red yam is extremely difficult 2 pound. Hausa yam is sweetest when fried and also easy 2 pound. Okin/white yam has very sharp hairs on the body and is d ideal pounding yam 4 most people.
For me, a blend of red yam and okhin is ideal.
Alebun and Okhin have so many shoots in d ground so to make one or 2 tubers really grow they trim some tubers hence new yam. That's why it tastes different.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by sleekman(m): 11:36am On Jul 20, 2014
New yam is supposed 2b d baby yam. In d past and still customary practice in most communities in southern and central 9ja, nobody eats new yam until after d new yam festival. The new 1st baby 'new yam' is offered 2d gods b4 everyone can eat. If u read d old testament u'll see d 1st born of every female cattle, sheep, goat womb is offered as sacrifice 2 God. Hence d similarity in cultures. In christiandom Jesus christ who is d 1st and only begotten of d father was offered on d cross of calvary for d redemption of our sins and hence abolishes d old order of using animal 2 atone 4 our sins. He Jesus, the lamb of God takes away d sins of d world.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Claracuzio: 11:40am On Jul 20, 2014
I yam that I yam

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
tempem: Yam is Yam!!
Nope.... Old yam sweet pass ooo...fr real
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by popson1st: 4:01pm On Jul 20, 2014
9jaaaaaaaa. This country is a joke. Can't stop laughing...
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by JadeWilliam(f): 6:16pm On Jul 20, 2014
spyg1: are you telling us that as old as you are you have not tested both of them?cheesy cheesy Benue guys where are you? answer her.
Sweetie! Its neva 2late 2learn thngs
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by JadeWilliam(f): 6:18pm On Jul 20, 2014
smileandlove: The difference is the extra money your paying on the old yam. #Old wine tastes better! . 'home work for u OP' boil the two taste with red oil, to be submitted before the end of today.
grin grin I actually did d homework so I'v come 2submit.

Old yam taste better indeed.New yam is greesy wen chewing it&taste lik its under matured.

I cooked it&dats wot I found out.Wen I fry it 2moro;I'l c what it'l b like.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by JadeWilliam(f): 6:22pm On Jul 20, 2014
MsFaith: Old yam is sweeter and harder. New yam is watery and tasteless and sometimes bitter
Exactly.Its not too tasty.I didn't enjoy it.Mayb because I'm used 2d taste of old yam.Walai! It can cook fast eh! And very easy 2cut.

mainheart: new yam done faster while old waste time.
Easy 2cut&faster 2cook indeed.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by JadeWilliam(f): 6:26pm On Jul 20, 2014
thin: these stupid topics are coming back embarassed

What u call silly is impacting knowlege in some one else.ITK

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by JadeWilliam(f): 6:27pm On Jul 20, 2014
The old yams in d markt are so dry lik d last one I bought;it was so hard 2cut.Then most of d tubers I got were spoilt inside so I don't knw if one can get good old yams in d markt anymore.I mean dat ain't too old.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by spyg1(m): 7:26pm On Jul 20, 2014
JadeWilliam:
Sweetie! Its neva 2late 2learn thngs
Im not sweet o,
cheesy cheesy
how do you know dat im sweet
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by jsunex(m): 7:40pm On Jul 20, 2014
Content of water is higher in new yam compare to old yam,which makes old yam sweeter .
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Infoay: 11:20pm On Jul 20, 2014
Like seriously, I would have answered you but I don't want to give you an answer now and my oga at the top will later give you a different answer
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by digger791: 10:54am On Jul 21, 2014
As an agriculturist. , old yam has little water content which increases d Conc.sugar presented in d yam , so this make it sweeter and more malleable into pounded yam . Hope dat answered it
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Opiosko: 4:13pm On Jul 21, 2014
JadeWilliam: I really need 2knw cos I went 2markt 2day&the price of old yam is annoying higher than new yam so I asked myself,is there anythng special abt old yam?
U are confused. If u dnt know dnt u jst buy d new one without complaining?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by jethro2: 11:04pm On Jul 27, 2014
If you need new yam at affordable price in Lagos, the no to call is 08064688501. Minimum supply applies
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by fineboynl(m): 1:08pm On Aug 20, 2023
lonelydora:
Old yam tastes better because its dry already and hence the extra money u pay.
New yam is fresh from harvest and still have some water in it. When the new yam stands the heat of the sun, with time it will dry up and turn to old yam. Example is Zaki-biam and onitsha yam
what make onitsha new yam starchy like old yam. It’s very good for pounded yam.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Plantain Fufu? / How To Stop Ur Hand From Hotting After Grinding Pepper? / Hippo Meat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.