Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital (11831 Views)

Ondo Trauma & Surgical Centre Built By Mimiko (Photos) / FG Will Not Print Money To Pay Doctors / Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment At Igbobi Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital by donodion(m): 7:17pm On Jul 20, 2014
xrazzy: I had similar problem at the maxillofacial surgery unit of ABUTH Zaria. I was having this recurrent toothache and I went to hospital. The doctors at the hospital diagnosed my problem as ingrowing wisdom tooth which have to be surgically remove. Since I was on NHIS as student of ABU, my HMO approved the surgery for me only to be told the maxillofacial surgeon that I have to pay for the rentage of drilling machine. I had no money that day so I returned back to the school clinic popularly called sickbay. On getting there I explained my predicament to the head dental surgeon and he told me that he would do the surgery without drilling machine if I could pay 1 thousand naira. After consulting my best friend in school then, I organized the money and entered for the surgery. To my astonishment, this doctor started using what resemble stainless plier and chisel on my tooth after he gave me one injection beneath the tooth.The pain was unbearable and it forced him to stop the surgery halfwAy... I'm still managing my condition using drugs and other necessary things. May the gods bless the Nigerian doctors like the pro-Russian separatists blessed flight mh17

AHHHHHHHH goodness
Re: Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital by soonest(f): 8:58pm On Jul 20, 2014
jayseehe: funny, how can patients be paying for equipments in a federal hospital?
equipments bought with tax payer's
money..
only in Naija
Who says Igbobi doesn't have the drill. The doctor just cornered the patient for extra change. It happens
Re: Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital by ojsenior: 8:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
Can Nigeria GOvt truely practice free health care without payment or insurance? No
If the GOvt hospitals are fully equiped, funded and staffed, with there be less problem with the GOvt Hospitals? Yes
You have to buy Diesel or petrol in some GOVT hospitals before surgery can be done(Personal experience). Some nigerian Doctors are taking advantage of GOVT inefficiency to start there own business enterprice ranging from rentage of equipment to referral to personal clinics at higher fee. Forget ethics, if am a doctor and there is an option for a life of a patient to be saved by renting equipment not provided by the employer(GOVT), i will rent the equipemt. The question still remain, How many doctors, nurses do we have to 1000 nigerians? how many fully funded, accessible Govt owned hospitals do we have.
EVERYBODY IS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE GOVT INEFFICIENCY TO ENRICH THEMSELVES WHILE WHILE SOME ARE KILLED

1 Like

Re: Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital by MeAboki(m): 9:25pm On Jul 20, 2014
theplanmaker:

Do you sincerely think that the hospital cannot afford a drill that costs 1million naira without the government?

I agree with you.
Simple maths would tell you that even the amount charged this patient should almost cover the cost of the drill; meanwhile if you consider (from the story) the long waiting list of patients then its easy to conclude that there would be more than enough revenue generated to cover this minor problem; however in this case what maybe lacking is the political will to address it - and the buck should squarely stop at the CMD's office.
Re: Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital by personal40: 10:11pm On Jul 20, 2014
[quote author=Talibanis So my dear poster, don't spread dangerous and senseless information. Besides, SERVICOM is always there to attend to your complaints if you have any instead of spreading false information about doctors who are there to help you out![/quote]
To many doctors their the care they give is an act of helping out rather than their job. This is where their poor service delivery stems from.

1 Like

Re: Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital by ochukofortune(m): 7:23am On Jul 21, 2014
ziga:

Poor funding is what has resulted into corrupt practices.

How can an orthopedic hospital not have a drill?

How do you expect the Docs to do their jobs?

Docs don't need to go on strike in Nigeria for people to die.

People have been dying and Docs have to bear with the guilt of knowing that those people could have been saved since 1960.

And the FG as well as all these opportunists capitalize on the ignorance of Nigerians.
d drill might av been provided by govt but based on arrangee, d doctor would still ask for money

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Situation Report on the National Medical Association Emergency Delegates Meeting / COVID-19 Update For January 25 2021 In Nigeria / Have You Tried Adams Desire?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.