Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,244 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming (37675 Views)

EXCLUSIVE: OLX Nigeria Reacts To Missing 3 Oyekoya Kids / 4 Ways To Identify "SCAMMERS" On Most Online Market Platform Like OLX Nigeria / OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by justi4jesu(f): 6:23am On Jul 20, 2014
Swiftboy: Since day one I knew OLX has failed already when the only security feature they can provide is seller meet buyer.I have always fear a situation where either the buyer or the seller will end the transaction in robbing the other. .lol grin

lwkmd....fear fear like you...next time when you want to meet a seller or buyer carry your own Gun

3 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by godwinony(m): 6:27am On Jul 20, 2014
About a month ago i bought a samsung galaxy s4 mini for 20k from a seller on olx. About 2 days into using the phone, i discovered it was a fake s4 mini..no 3g and low ram..i quickly sold it back online for 23k..made a little profit on the fake poo.

6 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by acorntree(m): 6:29am On Jul 20, 2014
Benop: Good day pals.

I saw the advert on TV mid last year on the online platform OLX and decided to have a look at it. I got to even download the mobile app on my phone, was interested in buying a car and on opening that section I was amazed on the cheap rates they put the cars for sale.

I got involved with one of the dealers who said he was selling Nigerian Customs auctioned cars.

To cut the story short, I ended up being scamed and many are still being scammed today. embarassed

Is there any hope of recovering the money?

Can these scammers be stopped from ripping the general public?

Do OLX managers know every user of their site and are they aware of this?

I will appreciate your kind responses please!!!
how did u get scammed. Give us detail . Did u pay into the account. Is it custom victor courage with this no 08131569478?
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by godwinony(m): 6:29am On Jul 20, 2014
Swiftboy: Since day one I knew OLX has failed already when the only security feature they can provide is seller meet buyer.I have always fear a situation where either the buyer or the seller will end the transaction in robbing the other. .lol grin
Lol..that's why it is advisable to always meet in a public and open place.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Okuda(m): 6:40am On Jul 20, 2014
datguru: That is one of the problem with Nigeria , we are always trying to adapt to trends we can not be able to manage effectively just because we see it amongst the white men. Though scams are there too but it's managed but in Nigeria it's a whole lot of crap

You see its not even about trying to adapt something western..there are underlying foundations that made things work abroad and thats why its very easy to manage alot of things..first of all i think every nigerian should have a social security number..this is the first step in putting alot of crap in order in this country

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by AdelokikiMr(m): 6:50am On Jul 20, 2014
Have sold a lot on OLX and also Bought laptop once there but sincerely its kinda risk when you doIng business on that site because nobody knows d intention of the other party ,anyway I would say only d thiefs,greedy ones get scammed cause I can't imagine wanting to buy dog (Rott) of 120k as puppy for like 60k to 80k on olx when e nor go steal am...Brov if u see any Goods with unimaginable cheap price change direction or pay D consequences shikenah
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Swiftboy(m): 6:50am On Jul 20, 2014
No way Justi! You want to turn buying and selling to gun duel huh? I'll prefar to be the sniper. I'll just be ordering the other guy from a vantage point till the package is delivered to me...something like I can see you and am with my sniper ready to blow you out cold if you dont do whatever I say! Yeah drop your gun into the trashcan next to you! Na me you wan shoot huh? Omo naija ghetto go be like war film.lol grin
justi4jesu:

lwkmd....fear fear like you...next time when you want to meet a seller or buyer carry your own Gun

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by waloma(m): 6:51am On Jul 20, 2014
jayseehe: I sell on OLX and I don't scam.

my ads are relatively cheaper on OLX because of the competition there...
it's higher on other sites with less competition

it is not just OLX, people are being scammed here (Nairaland) too

being scammed depends on you, why should you send money to someone without getting and testing the goods?
what happened to local pickup or pay on delivery?

FYI, I have seen situations where sellers are scammed by buyers on OLX, after delivery of the goods, the buyer will refuse to pay...

OP, don't spoil the reputation of that site, because of some people's gullibility.... I need the site so much, I buy and sell there

if you are afraid of being scammed, try Kaymu.com.ng, pay via kaymu SafePay, that way the seller won't receive the money until the goods have been delivered to you and you are satisfied with it.

by the way, you can purchase from my online store @ kaymu....
use SafePay and pay with your debit(ATM) card
http://www.kaymu.com.ng/seller/don-juan/

Google Kaymu SafePay to know more about it...
you can call it Nigerian EBay version
What are your products please
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by acorntree(m): 6:52am On Jul 20, 2014
godwinony:
even when you meeting in public you still to be very careful. There was a time I want to sell my BB on olx and a buyer call to meet me. We agreed to meet at a place . when I got there I discovered he came with a bike. He got up from the bike and we started talking, while he was busy checking the phone , one thing I notice about him as I was talking was that he gave eye signal to the other person on the bike. So I've to move closer to bike. I know his motive is to run away with the phone. He gave an excuse that the phone is expensive and he can't buy it again. So both seller and buyer are at risk when making through olx

4 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Swiftboy(m): 6:54am On Jul 20, 2014
Where do people get robbed this day most of the time? Its in the public! I think if people see gun they will mind their business.
godwinony:
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by datguru: 6:58am On Jul 20, 2014
Okuda:

You see its not even about trying to adapt something western..there are underlying foundations that made things work abroad and thats why its very easy to manage alot of things..first of all i think every nigerian should have a social security number..this is the first step in putting alot of crap in order in this country

You are making a point here

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by doctuw(m): 7:01am On Jul 20, 2014

I saw the advert on TV mid last year on the online platform OLX and decided to have a look at it. I got to even download the mobile app on my phone, was interested in buying a car and on opening that section[b] I was amazed on the cheap rates they put the cars for sale[/b].

I got involved with one of the dealers who said he was selling Nigerian Customs auctioned cars.

To cut the story short, I ended up being scamed and many are still being scammed today. embarassed

when it is too good to be true, it is surely a scam.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by godwinony(m): 7:05am On Jul 20, 2014
acorntree: even when you meeting in public you still to be very careful. There was a time I want to sell my BB on olx and a buyer call to meet me. We agreed to meet at a place . when I got there I discovered he came with a bike. He got up from the bike and we started talking, while he was busy checking the phone , one thing I notice about him as I was talking was that he gave eye signal to the other person on the bike. So I've to move closer to bike. I know his motive is to run away with the phone. He gave an excuse that the phone is expensive and he can't buy it again. So both seller and buyer are at risk when making through olx
Chai! See tactic.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Erukuomoibadan: 7:11am On Jul 20, 2014
tyson99: All of una just dey chop OLX lotto format....dem go soon contact you for second billing.be wise!!!!gringrin
Internet gangster ...Aiye sight e

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by justi4jesu(f): 7:11am On Jul 20, 2014
Swiftboy: No way Justi! You want to turn buying and selling to gun duel huh? I'll prefar to be the sniper. I'll just be ordering the other guy from a vantage point till the package is delivered to me...something like I can see you and am with my sniper ready to blow you out cold if you dont do whatever I say! Yeah drop your gun into the trashcan next to you! Na me you wan shoot huh? Omo naija ghetto go be like war film.lol grin

Hahahahahaha Sniper ni, killer ko. grin
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Lenzz(m): 7:14am On Jul 20, 2014
Hangard: I think OLX should try and adopt the use of Escrow services, to eliminate the process of sellers scamming buyers on the site. The system of buyers and sellers meeting each other is cumbersome.
Endorsed.
I hope OLX sees this. I watch their Ads every time on TV and I'm always amazed/disappionted when they keep emhasizing meeting your dealer as one of the steps to closing a deal. That's crazy for God's sake!
You don't need to be an Einstein to know that is a very flawed and retrogressive process not to mention the attendant security risk that goes with meeting people you don't know from anywhere just to close out a deal. Heck that could be you closing out your life! There are sociopaths everywhere.
OLX must dig deeper and sort out these things now. Escrow services comes to mind as a possible solution wherein an account is established by a broker for holding funds on behalf of the broker's principal and some other person until the consummation or termination of a transaction. This ensures that either side in a business deal will always hold d ace until both sides are satisfied with d terms of d biz nd eventually closes it out. Shekina.
Anything short of this, then OLX can kiss their business goodbye becos d complaints are just getting excessive by d day.

5 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by qtx(m): 7:15am On Jul 20, 2014
i bought a ride via OLX last year. No sweat. all you need to do is just be suspicious and careful, go with a witness to meet the seller in a public place( not easy going out to meet tho, but for now tru OLX that's d only option ) , insist on seeing and testing whatever product and be with it while paying. i am still enjoying my baby as we post.
Naija is full of alot of surprises so anyone can just be that fraudulent hence trust no one when it comes to biz and parting with funds.

3 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by passionate88: 7:15am On Jul 20, 2014
My sis wanted to do a transaction on OLX, I warned her not to. I know of a girl that purchased a good of #21,000 since January from that site... Till today she still hasn't recieved the good... She dn call the guy and him representative tire.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kayswag100(m): 7:18am On Jul 20, 2014
Yeah. Alot of scammerd exist on Olx. They continue to thrive bcs of d foolishness of dine buyers.

How cld u send money to someone (for goods uve not seen too?)

Meanwhile, real ppl exist there too. The current car i m driving wd bought on Olx and it's just Perfect! !

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by tyson99(m): 7:21am On Jul 20, 2014
Erukuomoibadan: Internet gangster ...Aiye sight e
Otalenugrin

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by qtx(m): 7:21am On Jul 20, 2014
kayswag100: Yeah. Alot of scammerd exist on Olx. They continue to thrive bcs of d foolishness of dine buyers.

Meanwhile, real ppl exist there too. The current car i m driving wd bought on Olx and it's just Perfect![i][/i] !
seconded
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Reference(m): 7:22am On Jul 20, 2014

Hmmm. Aryan Brotherhood v Miami PD. Great flick that 'Miami Vice'. Feat Colin Farrel and Jamie Foxx.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by bastien: 7:23am On Jul 20, 2014
I will advice u not to run any online business concerning ijegun Satellite town,That's where I stay,and hv seen many of bad stuff they hv done,,a guy on oxl wanted to sell uk fones, He has many,He was contacted n brought many in the bag,He was beaten and went home wit transport fee.....pls don't do any business wit anybody staying there.....

And if u are selling don't go looking for the buyers at there area or house, It's better to meet at neutral ground,and always better to meet at eatery

Goodluck

3 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 20, 2014
As i dey so person go scam me for internet?na me go even scam you but op you greedy the truth is that you moni is gooonnneee
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by expert101(m): 7:26am On Jul 20, 2014

I saw the advert on TV mid last year on the online platform OLX and decided to have a look at it. I got to even download the mobile app on my phone, was interested in buying a car and on opening that section I was amazed on the cheap rates they put the cars for sale.

[size=18pt]
Op you are greedy and thats why you were scammed. You are type that whats to buy 2008 camry tokunbo car for 600,000. That is mediocrity.

From your post above, you don't sound like you have learn't your lessons that means other bad guys can still scam you.

Bottom line- Go and learn the rules of the site and how to use it. Nigerians are too Lazy to do deals without even verification. The earlier we learn how these stuffs works for the white guys the better for us.[/size]
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by expert101(m): 7:32am On Jul 20, 2014
kayswag100: Yeah. Alot of scammerd exist on Olx. They continue to thrive bcs of d foolishness of dine buyers.

Meanwhile, real ppl exist there too. The current car i m driving wd bought on Olx and it's just Perfect! !

Thats nice! Leave them to keep wallowing in ignorance. Even OLX has been advertising on Dstv telling people how to use the site to avoid been scammed but they will never learn.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by jayseehe(m): 7:34am On Jul 20, 2014
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by jayseehe(m): 7:34am On Jul 20, 2014
waloma:
What are your products please
are you on WhatsApp?
so we could chat
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by donigspain(m): 7:43am On Jul 20, 2014
I'm posting with the phone I bought from olx... The rule is PAY ON DELIVERY and after testing. Also insist on warranty even if it's one month. Make sure to secretly record the conversation during the transaction. My olx seller and I are now paddy.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by culcid(m): 7:51am On Jul 20, 2014
Sincerely, the owners of OLX.com need to sieve out most of the scammers there. They reduce the prices of products to unimaginable cheap rate, making it hard for real sellers to be able to sale theirs. To avoid being scammed, ensure you are dealing with someone in the same location as you, also see, touch and ascertain the genuineness of the stuff you intend buying in an open place before making any payment. My only problem is the money I waste on airtime talking to these hopeless and god forsaken scammers.

4 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by patpeypey: 7:55am On Jul 20, 2014
Greed, greed ,greeted thats the only way to get scammed! A car that sells for 2 million and u see it for 500k? And he tells u nothing is wrong with it? Pls run for ur life! OLX is safe just like nairaland but u have got to shine ur eyes!

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by eddie1(m): 7:57am On Jul 20, 2014
OLX needs a simple thing! "Report as scam" and deactivate reported users, there's no security or means of reporting the fraudsters on that site

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This One No Be Money: Fuel Reseller Rejects 100 Dollar Bill Given To Him (Video) / Best Method To Send Money Abroad (US)? / Free Tutorials- Sewing Businesses!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.