Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,000 members, 7,799,431 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here (60886 Views)

Farmers! Let's See You In The Farm. Post Your Pictures Here. / Palm Oil Farmers Let's Meet Here / Cassava Farmers Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 6:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
boluwajokosegun:
@ Buchika, very good advise but there is a way out to processing, why not employ two staff on monthly salary who will help in the processing work , get staff who can peel & fry

Can the house brainstorm on the way out or visit some small scale firm to find out how they manage it.
ten permanent staffs cannot process 250kg of garri manually from uprooting to frying in a day, remember the moment you uproot the tuber it starts to deteriorate, you must finish the peeling under 12 hours if you want white garri. bro either you sell tubers to garri making village women or you sell to big time processors like NSM Uli. either you do very micro scale cassava processing or very big time processing like NSM, there is no room for small or medium scale cassava processing as of now. the converting ratio is 4 tons of cassava tuber = 1 ton of garri

1 Like

Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by obyikye(f): 12:27am On Aug 07, 2014
Umunnem, Dalu kwanuoooooo, I want to be a farmer, but lack experience in various crop plantation. I will be updating later. Thanks
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 12:43am On Aug 07, 2014
Buchika: as an experienced cassava farmer my advice to anyone who want s to go into commercial cassava farming is make sure your farmland is tractorable that's it's well destumped, minimise manual labour to the least possible, make sure your farmland access is motorable, be friendly with your state ADP extensions officers, know your market target, if it's only for garri, cultivate the best local variety, but if it's for starch go for all these TME419 or IITA improved variety. if you want to process commercial also and you don't have an efficient peeling system forget it you won't make it. the reason village women makes profit is they do all the processing themselves they pay no one from uprooting to frying, they pay only for grating and pressing which is very very insignificant.
Why isn't improved varieties good for garri?
Hw can one employ the services of extension wkers? What is involve?
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 12:49am On Aug 07, 2014
Buchika: I rented 166 plots of land where I cultivated my cassava 12500 naira total cost plus 2 gallons of palm wine. not up to 2000 naira per hectar and its within awka axis
Pls I'll like to know hw to rent land that cheap.
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 7:04am On Aug 07, 2014
FarmTech:
Why isn't improved varieties good for garri?
Hw can one employ the services of extension wkers? What is involve?
just visit your state ministry of agriculture and ask for adp office you ll be guided more on how to get an extension officer . each variety of cassava tubers has different moisture contents. the higher the moisture content the better for industrial starch purpose. and less moisture better for garri
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by boluwajokosegun: 8:09am On Aug 07, 2014
Thank you Buchika, sorry am just trying to find a way out to maximize the profit in agric biz for farmers. I think it will be better to employ 2 casual workers that will uproot the cassava while 2- 3 permanent staff will do the peeling of certain quanties that they can peel under 12 hours after harvest so as to get white garri. A small reseach will be done to find out what quanty 2-3 person can peel under 12 hours.

We can just be planting for others to make more money.....REMEMBER THAT THE FUTURE OF AGRICULTURE IN NIGERIA IS IN PROCESSING

Or we form a group and set up micro scale cassava processing.

please can we brain storm because there is big money in cassava farming ...there is no waste in the business, from the leaves to the stem and the tuber even the extracted water is usefull......
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 12:41pm On Aug 07, 2014
boluwajokosegun:
Thank you Buchika, sorry am just trying to find a way out to maximize the profit in agric biz for farmers. I think it will be better to employ 2 casual workers that will uproot the cassava while 2- 3 permanent staff will do the peeling of certain quanties that they can peel under 12 hours after harvest so as to get white garri. A small reseach will be done to find out what quanty 2-3 person can peel under 12 hours.

We can just be planting for others to make more money.....REMEMBER THAT THE FUTURE OF AGRICULTURE IN NIGERIA IS IN PROCESSING

Or we form a group and set up micro scale cassava processing.

please can we brain storm because there is big money in cassava farming ...there is no waste in the business, from the leaves to the stem and the tuber even the extracted water is usefull......

@boluwajokosegun you re welcome, you re right, there is a need to brainstorm on cassava business, but then it is important to look at the value chain and identify the best that suits you, a good producer might not be a good processor meaning you can produce cassava very cheap but won't be able to process cheap. if we can brainstorm on how one can cultivate a hectare of cassava that yields at least 20 tons of tubers with 80000 eighty thousand naira, which I believe is very possible you ll make enough profit that ll stop you from thinking how much the processor is making, then we have to brain storm on how to be able to process at small scale level. all the same you made a very good suggestion
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 1:18pm On Aug 07, 2014
fayahsoul:
my farm dey emene
That's Enugu right? Keep it up bro.
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by boluwajokosegun: 2:32pm On Aug 07, 2014
@Buchika, l like people who are sincere & ready to help other like you. Am about to set up 50 acres of cassava farm - joint farming with a micro processing plant that will can process to chips for export & some for powder flour - the machine can dry and retain the white cassava colour , the machine that will process to flour is using a principle call cyclon.
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 3:58pm On Aug 07, 2014
boluwajokosegun:
@Buchika, l like people who are sincere & ready to help other like you. Am about to set up 50 acres of cassava farm - joint farming with a micro processing plant that will can process to chips for export & some for powder flour - the machine can dry and retain the white cassava colour , the machine that will process to flour is using a principle call cyclon.
more of your type is needed in our country, please please please concentrate more of your research on the peeling system, try to beat down as much as possible the cost of peeling, after that the rest is easy. I 've been in this business for more than six years, I know what am talking about. peeling is where the headache is, the FASTEST hand can only peel around 20 kg of raw tuber in an hour, what I am thinking is, is there anything we process cassava into without peeling?
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 4:12pm On Aug 07, 2014
I'll like to know more about the cyclon machine, how does it work, can it peel also?
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 4:17pm On Aug 07, 2014
Buchika: more of your type is needed in our country, please please please concentrate more of your research on the peeling system, try to beat down as much as possible the cost of peeling, after that the rest is easy. I 've been in this business for more than six years, I know what am talking about. peeling is where the headache is, the FASTEST hand can only peel around 20 kg of raw tuber in an hour, what I am thinking is, is there anything we process cassava into without peeling?
Except u want to just uproot, chip without peeling, dry and store it for pigs.
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 5:04pm On Aug 07, 2014
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Pavore9: 7:04pm On Aug 07, 2014
@Buchika, do check on National root crop research institute Umudike, they have a fabrication that will help with d peeling. there is a guy in Awka who could provide same solution bt lost his contact. He produced a very efficient rice thresher 4 me.
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 7:24pm On Aug 07, 2014
Pavore9: @Buchika, do check on National root crop research institute Umudike, they have a fabrication that will help with d peeling. there is a guy in Awka who could provide same solution bt lost his contact. He produced a very efficient rice thresher 4 me.
bro I 've been to umudike and I 've seen their fabrication, what's makes cassava peeler hard to construct is the form of the tubers which very very irregular, like I said earlier I 've been to so many agric research institute but no result. where I got something near to working is in Futa akure but it ended up been a waste
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Pavore9: 7:39pm On Aug 07, 2014
lt is so frustrating! l recall when we were paying huge wagebill on those farm hands to thresh rice at achalla, paying & feeding 15 people daily for a job not even well done till we got d thresher only 3 workers was used, 4litres of fuel used daily!

1 Like

Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 9:11pm On Aug 07, 2014
Pavore9: lt is so frustrating! l recall when we were paying huge wagebill on those farm hands to thresh rice at achalla, paying & feeding 15 people daily for a job not even well done till we got d thresher only 3 workers was used, 4litres of fuel used daily!
wao o, you know achalla. we re neighbour. I am at igbariam. the experience is almost the same, some times I engage almost 30 casual workers from a neighbouring state in my farm, 2 of them is for cooking their afternoon and evening meal. bro I don suffer for cassava o o

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Pavore9: 9:41pm On Aug 07, 2014
One has to go thru lgbariam to enter Achalla & drive through Oye Achalla where u have the rice mills. Most of those workers from ebonyi are more interested in d food than d work! The thresher was threshing out abt 4.5 tonnes of paddy rice in 9hrs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by fayahsoul: 10:39pm On Aug 07, 2014
FarmTech:
That's Enugu right? Keep it up bro.
yep. what do u farm?
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 5:53am On Aug 08, 2014
Pavore9: One has to go thru lgbariam to enter Achalla & drive through Oye Achalla where u have the rice mills. Most of those workers from ebonyi are more interested in d food than d work! The thresher was threshing out abt 4.5 tonnes of paddy rice in 9hrs.
quite on point about the workers from the neighbouring state, that's why I am advising anyone going into these labour intensive farming like cassava to mechanise as much as possible,

bro re you breaking even with your rice business? how profitable
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Pavore9: 6:59am On Aug 08, 2014
no longer involved in it as l live in kenya bt it is very profitable if u can cut off manual labour as much as possible by using simplified planter, harvester & thresher. All these will cut labour cost which is the major expenditure in rice farming.
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Pavore9: 7:38am On Aug 08, 2014
At a rice farm settlement here in kenya l saw a simple harvester that looks almost like a lawn mower. lt harvests about 320 chains of rice daily, while the machine operator harvests another farmhand is behind packing d stalks into a wheelbarrow.
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 7:43am On Aug 08, 2014
Pavore9: At a rice farm settlement here in kenya l saw a simple harvester that looks almost like a lawn mower. lt harvests about 320 chains of rice daily, while the machine operator harvests another farmhand is behind packing d stalks into a wheelbarrow.
in which type of land upland or swamp, we usually plant rice in a swamp here. can such simple harvester be deployed here, can you get the picture please.
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Pavore9: 7:56am On Aug 08, 2014
Buchika: in which type of land upland or swamp, we usually plant rice in a swamp here. can such simple harvester be deployed here, can you get the picture please.
lt serves both upland and lowland, l will look for the picture.
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Pavore9: 8:07am On Aug 08, 2014
lf l was still around l would go into rice harvest services. For 300 chains of rice pay me N200K & l will harvest, thresh, winnow and have ur clean paddy rice bagged in sacks, ur own is to come to the farm in 4 days time wit a pickup to carry d rice!
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 8:12am On Aug 08, 2014
Pavore9: lf l was still around l would go into rice harvest services. For 300 chains of rice pay me N200K & l will harvest, thresh, winnow and have ur clean paddy rice bagged in sacks, ur own is to come to the farm in 4 days time wit a pickup to carry d rice!
300 chains is roughly 12 hectares, that's very good, but is it possible
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Pavore9: 8:24am On Aug 08, 2014
Buchika: 300 chains is roughly 12 hectares, that's very good, but is it possible
how many square feet makes a chain? Though l thought it is 66sq ft going by d stick they use locally which is 6ft. A hectare should be 107639sq.ft
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Apitch(m): 10:18am On Aug 08, 2014
I'm enjoying this
Pavore ur former location, is it taken or abandoned? Cos I'm beginning to think about this rice stuff
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Pavore9: 10:24am On Aug 08, 2014
Apitch: I'm enjoying this
Pavore ur former location, is it taken or abandoned? Cos I'm beginning to think about this rice stuff
l left Anambra state 2009!
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Apitch(m): 10:28am On Aug 08, 2014
Pavore9: l left Anambra state 2009!
That's a long time
Do u have any useful guide on rice farming, I need to start learning about it
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by boluwajokosegun: 10:40am On Aug 08, 2014
@ Povare9, please can you do a small findings on how they peel cassava in kenya
Re: Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Buchika: 11:19am On Aug 08, 2014
Pavore9: how many square feet makes a chain? Though l thought it is 66sq ft going by d stick they use locally which is 6ft. A hectare should be 107639sq.ft
the locals usually measure chain by squaring 66 ft that's 66*66, but what I normally get at end of the day is 25 chains per hectare

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

We Sell Pure Honey, Contact Us / Obiano Commissions Largest Poultry In The South East (photos) / How Pigs Drink Water In A Modern Pig Farm

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.