Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,023 members, 7,807,006 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? (883 Views)

Please Help Me With Php Code To Submit Picture To Database / Dhtml Quiz: How Will You Detect If A Browser Support Javascript From Php Code? / Php Code For Search Bar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by olaspinoza(m): 8:27pm On Jul 20, 2014
I am a beginner programmer. I am interested in developing web applications and so I am learning PHP. I have read 2 books, an introduction to the the language and a more advanced one treating a little more advanced concepts like object oriented programming, serialization etc.

I am trying to become proficient at the language and at programming in general and so I have decided to read through open source codes. For starters, I have downloaded Elgg, an open source social networking script written in PHP.

The sheer number and amount of code however makes me wonder, where do I start? Do I just open each and every file and prod through it continually until I know what it does, or are there tools that can enable sorting through and making sense of huge amounts of code written by other people?

I am sure this is something every beginner programmer can relate to. The examples in books are usually small and compact and in no way prepare anyone for the real thing.

Pros, please kindly share your thoughts, ideas and suggestions on how to make it through this weaning stage. Thank you
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by IamGodzilla: 9:16pm On Jul 20, 2014
Start it! Then with time, think of something you wish to develop and start working on it, while your studying.From there, youl learn more and wide.
And don't forget to knock on google, when your stuck.
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by aikfrank(m): 10:04am On Jul 21, 2014
get a pro tutor. he will teach you what h has learnt over the years.

The reason why we have few programmers who can really do something different is because only few programmers actually do the right thing.
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by DualCore1: 10:27am On Jul 21, 2014
Reading source codes to learn PHP is like standing on the road watching drivers to learn how to drive. You will end up learning bad driving from the taxi drivers and impatient road users. Studying source codes as a beginner, you may copy bad coding practices that will be hard for you to break later on in your pro years.

Learn PHP by reading the official documentation written by the people behind the language (http://php.net/manual/en/). In my opinion and experience it is a waste of time reading PHP books to learn PHP as most of such books are either poorly written or are just made up of excerpts from the PHP manual.

When you are done with the PHP documentation (and the user comments in them), you will be grounded to take on any entry-level project. When you take on a project, study code snippets of similar projects if you are unsure of how to go about a function or problem.

Last bullet: Use google.com extensively.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by jumox: 3:36pm On Jul 21, 2014
theres this website that shares snippets and tricks. I learnt alot from the site because they usually share make it simple and comment heavily.
Phpeasy step. Google it.
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by cbrass(m): 2:12pm On Jul 22, 2014
Get a tutor to atleast put you through, a tutor is like a walker for babies, then I won't advice you to visit php.net cause you are likely to find it difficult to understand somethings there, as for me php.net is meant for intermediate or Pros.

Start by instaling all necessary things like warm server notepad plus or any text editor of your choice. Then learn the installations, after that learn how to use your browser to output your result I.e type localhost or 127.0.0.1 on your browser then go ahead to learn variables and some small code lines apllication of it . Eg
<?php
$seun="A boy";
Echo $seun;
?>

Goodluck
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by Karleb(m): 5:43pm On Jul 22, 2014
cbrass: Get a tutor to atleast put you through, a tutor is like a walker for babies, then I won't advice you to visit php.net cause you are likely to find it difficult to understand somethings there, as for me php.net is meant for intermediate or Pros.

Start by instaling all necessary things like warm server notepad plus or any text editor of your choice. Then learn the installations, after that learn how to use your browser to output your result I.e type localhost or 127.0.0.1 on your browser then go ahead to learn variables and some small code lines apllication of it . Eg
<?php
$seun="A boy";
Echo $seun;
?>

Goodluck

Oga mi, please will you take me as your "omo ise"? shocked
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by cbrass(m): 2:44am On Jul 23, 2014
Karleb:

Oga mi, please will you take me as your "omo ise"? shocked

You sure you warn learn grin
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by Karleb(m): 6:07pm On Jul 23, 2014
cbrass:

You sure you warn learn grin

Yes! angry cry

.. and while at it I could also help you with markup languages, mainly Html & Css and all you've got to do is to provide the server-side, datzall.
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by cbrass(m): 7:55pm On Jul 23, 2014
Karleb:

Yes! angry cry

.. and while at it I could also help you with markup languages, mainly Html & Css and all you've got to do is to provide the server-side, datzall.

Oh I see. Seems you are a front end guy, can you gimme some links of jobs you have done
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by Karleb(m): 8:17pm On Jul 23, 2014
cbrass:

Oh I see. Seems you are a front end guy, can you gimme some links of jobs you have done

Actually, all I know about programming is html, css and very little of JavaScript, so no website for now.

and I don't save my code online because I don't really know how to go about it embarassed.

But errm I wanna learn! smiley
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by cbrass(m): 10:44pm On Jul 23, 2014
Karleb:

Actually, all I know about programming is html, css and very little of JavaScript, so no website for now.

and I don't save my code online because I don't really know how to go about it embarassed.

But errm I wanna learn! smiley

But I need to know which stage you are so as to know where to start
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by maekhel(m): 10:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
this is wat I call thread hijacking grin
Re: How Do I Read Through Huge PHP Code Samples? by Karleb(m): 3:17pm On Jul 24, 2014
cbrass:

But I need to know which stage you are so as to know where to start

I'll come up with a link, soonest.

(1) (Reply)

All About Wordpress For Beginner / Adsense Click Exchange Group / I Need A Website ASAP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.