Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,019 members, 7,806,983 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants (22457 Views)

Innoson Motors Spotted At The National Assembly Complex (See Photos) / Toyota, 4 Other Auto Brands To Locate Assembly Plants In Ogun / Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by stingg(m): 8:53am On Jul 21, 2014
anonimi:

Please ask around from those who were around in the 70s till early 80s.
At least Peugeot (Kaduna), Volkswagen (Lagos), Leyland (Ibadan), Steyr (Bauchi) were using LOCALLY made batteries (and maybe chairs/seats) among other small things in the assembly of cars/trucks/tractors in Nigeria way back then.

The CLUELESS import-all policy of the SENSELESS military DICTATOR COUPISTS we had since after Gowon led to their gradual disintegration, which is what slowly but STEADILY the administration of Jonathan/Sambo is reviving.

Nice, you seem to remember things well.
Although what actually killed those companies (battery,seats,tyre) was/is the epileptic power supply. I can remember the cases of Exide(ibadan), Michelin and Dunlop.

Once power is settled believe me, Nigeria will be great.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 21, 2014
please don't go there bikko! the field is large enough. i know you are being sacarstic.. we need competition in the auto sector so as to drive down the price to the barest minimum. guy i wan buy brand new German or Japanese SUV with 3m.
500GP: THIS IS MARGINALIZATION OF INNOSON COMPANY.

#OHANEZE MUST DO SOMETHING TO THIS. THEY MUST ISSUE EMPTY ULTIMATUM
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 21, 2014
Ugele: Tell ur clueless clueless broda to do dat. So u want investors to abandon place like Lagos and invest in ur village where very little there engaged in farming. Abeg, no be cassava or palm oil company we here biko three times.
You illiterate, what do you know about decongestion?
Howmany commercial cities do developed countries as China, USA and Japan have?
Everything plant mustn't be in Lagos only. It has got to the point that the only Nigerian city foreigners know are Abuja and Lagos.
Abi only Lagos should represent Nigeria?
Abeggi, idustrialization should spread across the country for uniform development.
This was what Clinton talked about. South is developing, North is stagnant.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Ugele: 8:56am On Jul 21, 2014
benson81: wat u need to ask is where In the world are brand new cars sold for N1m the equivalent of $6k?
Sir, there are many cars selling below 6000 dollars. About years ago Tata motors launched Nano d cheapest car in the world. Stop deceving urself with informationn u don't have. Visit google today.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by anonimi: 9:06am On Jul 21, 2014
Once power is settled believe me, Nigeria will be great.

Maybe we should ask Thief'nubu & Fashola who made so much noise about ENRON barge IPP so many years ago what happened?
At least they make IGR of over N25 billion monthly and having steady power with complementary industries can only mean more tax money for their pockets angry

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For those who may need to remember, just some 15 years ago, this is from the Lagos State Electricity Board (LSEB):

AES Power Barge Project

In 1999, the Lagos State Government (LASG) entered into a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Enron for the purchase of electricity. This was the first Independent Power Project in Nigeria. The PPA divided the project into three phases. Phase I was for three barge-mounted electricity generating units, having an aggregate nominal capacity of 90MW. Phase II was the design, construction and operation of a simple cycle electricity generating facility with a nominal capacity of 548 MW. Phase III was another set of barge-mounted electricity generating units with an aggregate nominal capacity of 180MW. Phase II did not materialize; hence parties proceeded only with Phase I and III. The barges are located at Egbin near Ikorodu.

In view of the legal and regulatory regime at that time, the arrangement therefore was for LASG to buy power from Enron and for same to be distributed by NEPA to the geographical areas specified in the PPA. The purchased power was to be distributed to those geographical areas in addition to, and not in substitution for, any electricity that is generated otherwise than by the barges. These areas were [size=15pt]Ikeja[/size], Oshodi, Victoria Island, Marina, Lekki and Apapa.

The plant commenced operations in June 2001 with a total aggregate capacity of 270 MW injected into the national grid. shocked shocked

From: http://www.lseb.gov.ng/content/aes-power-barge-project

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Emulti(m): 9:07am On Jul 21, 2014
Rikidony: May God bless GEJ and his cabinet. this man should change the constitution and rule for life his the only right thinking president ever.

And u will remain a servant all d days of ur life, amen.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by ezinwaoga1814: 9:10am On Jul 21, 2014
A journey of ten thousand kilometers starts with one step at a time. It is also said that, Rome was not built in a day. So also, development does
not come in one night. Development is a gradual process that starts with imagination, thoughts,and planning before it is finally unveiled for the
eyes to see and then hands to touch.
The entrance of major automakers into Nigerian market is a powerful good news that requires all hands on deck. The world is changing fast and
Nigeria as a nation must embrace the unfolding changes taking place in our current world. Nigeria is a great nation and biggest economy in Africa.
The time is gone when we have to blame Europe and America over our failure. The ball is right now in our court and should blame nobody should we miss this opportunity.
Majority of Nigerian graduates are scattered all over Europe and America begging on the streets. Thus bringing shame and disgrace to the nation,
above all laying curses on themselves and their future generations without knowing it. Most of them have lost their sense of reasoning and lost
their values as human beings.
Thus, the entrance of these automakers is one of the steps in the right direction before the nation looses the future generation that are meant to
be the leaders of tomorrow. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by anonimi: 9:10am On Jul 21, 2014
Emulti:

And u will remain a servant all d days of ur life, amen.

Thanks a lot.
Some people are really so lazy in their thoughts seeking saviour and identifying messiahs at the least sign of progress to ensure they remain servants to their "daddies" and "mummies" shocked

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Zikkyy(m): 9:13am On Jul 21, 2014
anonimi:
I quite disagree with you on the MAIN cause of their collapse.
Dunlop was still in operation in Nigeria till only a few years ago:

It was the UNCONTROLLED & UNRESTRAINED import policy of previous federal administrations till now.
Most of us were FOOLISHLY "enjoying" the cheap & cheerful aloku oyinbo/tokunbo aka second hand without recognising the FACT that it was killing our industries and FORCING our youth to cross the desert and dangerous Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean to become voluntary socio-economic EXILES in foreign lands where we are hardly welcome and our contribution to their own development goes barely acknowledged while we pose to our "unlucky" fellow compatriots still in our country as "diasporans" shocked

I think you guys are saying the same thing. Local tires were priced higher than imported tires dues mainly to huge power cost.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by anonimi: 9:19am On Jul 21, 2014
Zikkyy:

I think you guys are saying the same thing. Local tires were priced higher than imported tires dues mainly to huge power cost.

That is why I said power is not the MAIN cause. It was part of the cause as the Dunlop Secretary clearly stated in her interview.
However the problematic power situation did not emerge in 2010, not even 10 years before i.e. 2000. I also know for a fact that Dunlop always had super-sized generators in its main factory on Oba Akran Avenue, Ikeja.

Moreover, the lady said INFRASTRUCTURES, which includes pipe-borne water supply that is SOLELY the constitutional RESPONSIBILITY of the STATE government. Have we given thought to the fact that it COULD BE the worsening of the water supply situation since 1999 when Thief'nubu took over that led to the closure of their factory

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Zikkyy(m): 9:20am On Jul 21, 2014
ocman:
please don't go there bikko! the field is large enough. i know you are being sacarstic.. we need competition in the auto sector so as to drive down the price to the barest minimum. guy i wan buy brand new German or Japanese SUV with 3m.

The truth is that the field is very small for now (i.e. cannot accommodate large number of players). Toyota coming to Nigeria is bad news for other manufacturers including Nissan and Peugeot.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by majorholdings: 9:24am On Jul 21, 2014
don't forget that there will be different brands to pick from, if you are looking for something in the range of KIA PICANTO or maybe RIO then off course less than 1mil will do but if you are looking for something sleek say 1.5mil to 2mil will do.

I think the insurance companies should get more involved in this thing, if I have a good paying Job, why should i pay cash down 2mill today to buy a car when i can as well spread the payment over say 5years and use the bulk of the money in other ventures.

All the same big ups to GEJ and his people at least them try this time

#BLESS

SLIDEwaxie: I am a hater, but not part of mynd's gang...

If these cars won't go for N1,000,000 per new one, then its useless setting up plants here.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by benson81(m): 9:24am On Jul 21, 2014
Ugele: Sir, there are many cars selling below 6000 dollars. About years ago Tata motors launched Nano d cheapest car in the world. Stop deceving urself with informationn u don't have. Visit google today.
Indian TATA and Japanese Toyota,Nissan or Korean Kia na the same? Wat is The durability of Tata?since they are so cheap as you say why have they not flooded Nigerian market?.MR ITK!

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by lonelydora: 9:30am On Jul 21, 2014
I am patiently waiting for German machines. Btw, when will Honda join these people?
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Shopmoni: 9:32am On Jul 21, 2014
We the Our cars not cost more. una know say anything produced in naija is usually expensive.
1. Cement price went up and never came down since they started producing it in naija.
2. refinaries no dey work again cos its more expensive to produce
3. Beverages bought from neigboring countries are usually better and cheaper that those produced in naija
4 they try to localise PHCN see wetin we dey face.
5. Rice produced in naija though better but it comes with stones and every.
6. It is only in this country that we allow cars without Airbags and other safety features.

etc
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Ugele: 9:34am On Jul 21, 2014
Largas:
You illiterate, what do you know about decongestion?
Howmany commercial cities do developed countries as China, USA and Japan have?
Everything plant mustn't be in Lagos only. It has got to the point that the only Nigerian city foreigners know are Abuja and Lagos.
Abi only Lagos should represent Nigeria?
Abeggi, idustrialization should spread across the country for uniform development.
This was what Clinton talked about. South is developing, North is stagnant.
Thanks, do u know dat about 90% automobile company sited either in d city or outskirts of the city. For Instance, Detroit has d largest ford automobile company in the world, then Berlin also has largest BMW and Maybach in Germany. Nigerian government did not support what ur talking about and we always put sentiment in ur comments. Instead of hit the nail on the head, we talking nonsense. Imagine, majority of new vehicles, home appliances such as tv, fridges, etc were import from south africa despite Nigerian consumed about 40% of both lg and samsung, d samething with all japanese and korean cars. And all Americans, Germans, French, Italians, Japanese, Koreans, British vehicles have their manufacturing plant in South Africa, am not talking assembly plant. Don't believe what clueless Nigerians and Government talking. Pls do ur research. Don't forget, no free lunch anywhere. God bless Nigeria and destroy Nigeria enemies pretend to be a good friends to the masses
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by nsipat: 9:34am On Jul 21, 2014
Whether we like it or not, good things are coming. My only fear is that Nigerian dealers who are ever selfish may hide under the veil of automobile manufacturers union and keep the prices very high. They may also want to truncate the original idea of the auto policy and frustrating every effort of govt to make the assembled units affordable and available. TMC shd also look for a site outside Lagos, for proper testing sites. Abuja, Akwa Ibom, Kaduna, kano,Edo, cross River, Niger, rivers and other states with Good road network can provide ideal test grounds. The east-west road when completed would provide an ideal setting same as other highways under construction.God bblessNaija

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Zikkyy(m): 9:36am On Jul 21, 2014
anonimi:
That is why I said power is not the MAIN cause. It was part of the cause as the Dunlop Secretary clearly stated in her interview.
However the problematic power situation did not emerge in 2010, not even 10 years before i.e. 2000.

true power issue date back decades, but like you said the coming of tokunbo tires exposed the fact that it cost more to produce locally.

anonimi:
I also know for a fact that Dunlop always had super-sized generators in its main factory on Oba Akran Avenue, Ikeja.

This was one of the major problem facing local manufacturers. Power outage at any stage of the production process will result in huge losses. Michelin did not rely on PHCN instead they invested heavily in power plants. The plants comes on in January and goes off in December.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by anonimi: 9:37am On Jul 21, 2014
Shopmoni:

5. Rice produced in naija though better but it comes with stones and every.

You can set up or join others in setting up a small factory (and grow it) to remove the stones and sell at a higher price.
What say you

6. It is only in this country that we allow cars without Airbags and other safety features.

How MANY countries have you been to in this world or do you know their car standards to make such a general statement
Have you been to China, India, Vietnam, Myanmar/Burma, Cambodia etc?

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Zikkyy(m): 9:38am On Jul 21, 2014
anonimi:
Moreover, the lady said INFRASTRUCTURES, which includes pipe-borne water supply that is SOLELY the constitutional RESPONSIBILITY of the STATE government. Have we given thought to the fact that it COULD BE the worsening of the water supply situation since 1999 when Thief'nubu took over that led to the closure of their factory

Am sorry but water cannot be the reason for closing shop.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Nichobabe(m): 9:41am On Jul 21, 2014
Fresh Air tinz

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by anonimi: 9:41am On Jul 21, 2014
Zikkyy:

Am sorry but water cannot be the reason for closing shop.

Why not?
Do you think it is because water makes such a small amount of the tyre making process or what exactly
And as the Company Secretary said there were many reasons:

- low import tariffs
- infrastructures
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Ugele: 9:44am On Jul 21, 2014
benson81: Indian TATA and Japanese Toyota,Nissan or Korean Kia na the same? Wat is The durability of Tata?since they are so cheap as you say why have they not flooded Nigerian market?.MR ITK!
do know that dat Tata aquired British automobile company dat produced Range Rover, Land Rover and either Bentley or Roll Royce and they have one of the best research centre and one of the best and richest automobile company in the world. U know Nigerians always request for substandard products. Thanks
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Zikkyy(m): 9:51am On Jul 21, 2014
anonimi:
Why not?
Do you think it is because water makes such a small amount of the tyre making process or what exactly

because cost of sourcing the amount of water required is insignificant.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by JEITO: 9:51am On Jul 21, 2014
Good one! Just hope these plants won't be filled with so-called expertise from the parent countries though.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Nwakannaya1: 10:00am On Jul 21, 2014
To me, the issue isn't just assembly plants, though Å breakthrough, but manufacturing plants where everything used in making the automobiles will be produced in Nigeria, the ones that may not be in Nigeria should be imported in its raw form from other countries until an alternative is found.
Big Up!!! To Innoson Motors smiley
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by newacca: 10:01am On Jul 21, 2014
DebohBaron: I'm still waiting for the Germans!!!
The BMW, Benz, Audi!!!
If Benz alone can set up an assembly plant...GBOOM!! Jackpot!!
Chai! You know better thing ooo.
The Benz family. smiley

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by texazzpete(m): 10:04am On Jul 21, 2014
Increased effort to bring in foreign investors? Commendable
Convincing foreign auto makers to set up assembly plants in Nigeria? Excellent

Increasing tariffs on imported cars when locally assembled cars are not on sale in the market in sufficient quantities to meet demand? Insanely stupid, anti-consumer and anti-masses agenda.

Still waiting for the first units from Nissan to go on sale...or for the expected lower price regimes on the first batch.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Burger01(m): 10:05am On Jul 21, 2014
APC go shit for pants for this one grin

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by anonimi: 10:08am On Jul 21, 2014
Zikkyy:

because cost of sourcing the amount of water required is insignificant.

You MAY have a point but when you consider that you need power to INDIVIDUALLY supply the large amount of water from an industrial borehole the cost may THEN become significant.
A possibility i.e.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Zikkyy(m): 10:15am On Jul 21, 2014
anonimi:
You MAY have a point but when you consider that you need power to INDIVIDUALLY supply the large amount of water from an industrial borehole the cost may THEN become significant.
A possibility i.e.

The word highlighted red is what am talking about.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by sexylogan(m): 10:23am On Jul 21, 2014
Syenite:

Keep dreaming. U guys dat want 1 million naira cars should wait till those that bought brand new will use theirs for 3-4 yrs and want to sell as second hand.

Sad but it's true.

I don't know why in Nigeria, owning a car is a staus symbol (whether it is a Tokunbo) not to talk of buying a new car.

When will Nigeria adopt the practise of loan purchasing as most countries do...U pay a percentage as downpayment

for the new car, let's say 20% and the remaining you can pay in monthly installments over several years.

Owning a new car shouldn't be a big deal but our leaders will prefer things to remain as they are now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2017 Jaguar Xf Premium: A Joy To Behold / 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car / Acura Mdx Tech Package 2008 Model Showing Check Transmission With Flashing D

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.