Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Islam And Western Education - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Islam And Western Education (953 Views)

New Sect ‘Yanlabaiku’ Emerges In Kebbi Forbids Western Education, Shares Wives / Sheakau Speaks English, Give Reasons For Fighting Western Education (video) / Islamic Northern Nigeria Blaming America And Western Education For Bombing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islam And Western Education by gadogado(m): 5:30am On Jul 21, 2014
Many observers have negative perceptions about Islam in relation to intellectual discovery and the quest for knowledge albeit ignorantly. They believe Islam is all about rote learning where adherents of the faith sit and memorize texts of the holy book. After which, they proceed on a slaughtering frenzy. Firstly, there are 1.2 billion Muslims on Earth today. If the Islam was not a peaceful religion, I dare say the world would not exist today. 1.2 billion people can cause quite the ruckus. Historically speaking, the west has borrowed a great deal of 'intellectual property' from Arabs and Muslims in general. The numerical system, 1,2,3 is of Arab roots first developed by Persian and Arab mathematicians based in India. furthermore, in mathematics, algebra, in its most standard form was created by a Muslim scholar by the name Muhammad Ibn Musa AlKhawarizmi in Baghdad around 820 AD in his book 'Hisab "AL JABR wal Muqabala. Algebra is actually "AL JABR" from the title of his book which simply means 'the book on calculation by completion and balancing'. Similarly, algorithm is a corruption of the learned man's name "Alkhawarizmi" called as
"algoritmi" He was a well known scholar in the Abbasid caliphate of Baghdad among many other renowned scholars. In spanish and Portuguese, his name is the word for digit i.e. guarismo. Ibn Sin was known to have conducted the first successful colic surgery. And Ibn Nafis performed the first successful eye surgery. The contributions to scientific discovery by the various Islamic caliphates is profound and one need only conduct a little research to find out how extensive it is and how much of what we currently attribute to western ingenuity is actually rooted in the old tradition of Islamic scholarship. I can write about contributions to Medicine, Astronomy, Mathematics, Geography, Philosophy, History, Chemistry (Also derived from an arabic word 'al-kimiya') But I know very well nairalanders will be too lazy to read it.
Re: Islam And Western Education by reedbam: 6:02am On Jul 21, 2014
The problem isn't about perception of non-muslims, it's about Muslims realising what islam really is and what it represents.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Western Education by waternogetenemy: 6:29am On Jul 21, 2014
I am not a muslim and never will be one. Love my western education background.
Re: Islam And Western Education by Bobandgreat: 10:49am On Jul 21, 2014
@gadogado

We are not saying that some of these things didn't originate from Arab after all it is known that civilization started in Africa but how is Africa now. What we are saying is that the religion has become too violent for today's world. Why do u people like killing and maiming. Your religion is flawed
@gadogado

We are not saying that some of these things didn't originate from Arab after all it is known that civilization started in Africa but how is Africa now. What we are saying is that the religion has become too violent for today's world. Why do u people like killing and maiming. Your religion is flawed
@gadogado

We are not saying that some of these things didn't originate from Arab after all it is known that civilization started in Africa but how is Africa now. What we are saying is that the religion has become too violent for today's world. Why do u people like killing and maiming. Your religion is flawed.

(1) (Reply)

Enugu Deputy Governor Collapses While Testifying Before Impeachment Panel / On Nyeso Wike's Blaming Amaechi/ RVSG For Ebola In Portharcourt? / Residents Grab Catholic Seminarians, Tag Them Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.