Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:14 PM

Random Facts About Ebonyi - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Random Facts About Ebonyi (33077 Views)

Pictures : Random Pictures Of The Nigerian Air-force / Oil Lesson101: 1st Oil Well In Nigeria! Ebonyi State! / Maiduguri: Soldiers Kill 23 Civilians At Random After Bomb Blast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Lanceslot(m): 12:45am On Jul 22, 2014
passion007:
Lanceslot, ginwa I sikwanu ebee?
Wene bu i shi?
Abum ezigbo nwa-afo Igbo si Ogbaru na mba Anambra puta. Udo diri gi
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 1:27am On Jul 22, 2014
Bonaventura: I'm very elated with this post. Its quite unfortunate that despite this landmark achievements recorded by Ebonyians, the majority of other Igbo states see Ebonyi man as a ne'er-do-well. It baffles me especially when this discrimination is meted to an Ebonyian especially in the North here. Other tribes discriminate against the Igbos, but worst of all Igbos discriminate against Ebonyians.

My family isn't happy with me for dating an Igbo guy, and for some reason the fact that his family is from Ebonyi somehow made it worse. I grew up in the diaspora, so tribalism has never made and never will make any sense to me. I already told them I love him so they should just deal with it.

So... who wants to teach me my future husband's dialect?? cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by GreenBobo: 1:48am On Jul 22, 2014
biggiyke: Patoranking: Born Patrick Nnaemeka Okorie. From Ebonyi State.
Bros sheh yu b Ilaje made?
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Afam4eva(m): 2:46am On Jul 22, 2014
salt1:

You are wrong, dear. They are very culturally related. Afikpo, Edda, Nkporo, Item, Ohafia and Abiriba share a very complex set of relationships called Ikwu. Unlike other Igbos, they are matrilineal and the bonds span all these towns that I mentioned. An Amasiri person may not marry her Ikwu who is from Item.

There are also several similarities in language: Jokwa and ka a.
They also share several festivals like mbe and ikpo.
I am from Amasiri and I studied our people's history and language
The bolded is the town where Cameroonian footballer, Samuel Etoo comes from.

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by emiye(m): 2:47am On Jul 22, 2014
Afam4eva:
The bolded is the town where Cameroonian footballer, Samuel Etoo come from.
mtsceew
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Afam4eva(m): 2:50am On Jul 22, 2014
emiye:
mtsceew
Bia, what are you hissing for?
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by CyberTerrorist: 4:17am On Jul 22, 2014
passion007: Ebonyi is recognised as having an total of 9 languages, all of which are actually Igbo dialects. They are: Afikpo, Mgbo, Izzi, Ezza, Ikwo Kukele, Legbo, Mbembe, Oringare.
meda bu nwa Izzi ahuberu ama cool grin
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by vanndubi: 4:22am On Jul 22, 2014
salt1:

You are wrong, dear. They are very culturally related. Afikpo, Edda, Nkporo, Item, Ohafia and Abiriba share a very complex set of relationships called Ikwu. Unlike other Igbos, they are matrilineal and the bonds span all these towns that I mentioned. An Amasiri person may not marry her Ikwu who is from Item.

There are also several similarities in language: Jokwa and ka a.
They also share several festivals like mbe and ikpo.
I am from Amasiri and I studied our people's history and language

Some people say Ebonyians are lazy. When you compare with the Anambra and Abia Igbos, this is painfully true. Our people are so laid back and not as enterprising. Truth doesn't hurt. Afikpo side isn't as enterprising and Abakaliki people are too crude. TRUTH!

Maybe you see only one side of the coin (Amasiri side). I am from Item and my mother is from Afikpo. I know Afikpo in and out. I speak Afikpo dialect in flawless accent. And I can say with confidence, that culturally, there is huge gap (although smaller when compared with Other areas in igboland)
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 4:29am On Jul 22, 2014
vanndubi:

Maybe you see only one side of the coin (Amasiri side). I am from Item and my mother is from Afikpo. I know Afikpo in and out. I speak Afikpo dialect in flawless accent. And I can say with confidence, that culturally, there is huge gap (although smaller when compared with Other areas in igboland)

Would you like to be my Afikpo tutor? smiley
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by MztrChukwu(m): 4:36am On Jul 22, 2014
berem: I am waiting to see the delicious "Abakaliki Rice" included in the topic.

This just made an afikpo man's day!
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by MztrChukwu(m): 4:43am On Jul 22, 2014
chezzy13: Am proud of my state.

One Afikpo Biko!

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by bigfrancis21: 4:51am On Jul 22, 2014
SalC: I once visited Okposi and spent few weeks in the late igwe B O agwu's compound, I was told the green snake will come and welcome me that I shouldn't kill it shocked shocked shocked greet? Welcome? A snake? shocked. Thank God it didn't come till I left. Or maybe they were merely trying to scare me embarassed

Hahahahahhahahahahahaha!
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by vanndubi: 5:12am On Jul 22, 2014
Abiagirl777:

yesterday in imo state,met a woman who kept on speakin my dialect ALAYI,BENDE LGA,was so happy i met a sister not untll she told me she was frm OKPOSI in Ebonyi,i marvelled.i mean word for word,no difference.cold it be we share de same bloodline
A dialect dat other LGA'S in Abia state don't undastand.
NWANNE DI NA MBA! Maka chukwu

I think the woman you met is above average Okposi. She might have picked out Alayi dialect to help her in her trading biz. I am from Item and i can speak Afikpo with flawless accent.Imagine an Afikpo man hears me rapping Afikpo flawlessly in imo state . Will it be reasonable then for the Afikpo man to conclude that Afikpo and item speak the same dialect?

There is slight difference between Ohafia and Item dialects. Not to talk of Alayi and Okposi. For you doubt it, try meet an average Okposi person and hear him speak to know if Alayi and Okposi matches" word for word"

Granted, there might be common usage of words but sometimes, same word might have for different meaning. Eg." ka" in Item is a pleasantry but in Afikpo, it means SORRY wink

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by vanndubi: 5:17am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

Would you like to be my Afikpo tutor? smiley

Nsogbu adigi smiley A mam na-kuziri gi tiko tiko smiley

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by vanndubi: 5:28am On Jul 22, 2014
MztrChukwu:

This just made an afikpo man's day!

Kpeb! Nwannaa jokwa o. Can you imagine, they are saying that we are lazy with the hands and mouths with which they use in eating Afikpo and Abakaliki rice, yam etc.

To date, I've not seen or heard of Owerri or Awka or Enugu or Umuahia rice grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 5:43am On Jul 22, 2014
vanndubi:

Nsogbu adigi smiley A mam na-kuziri gi tiko tiko smiley

I have no idea what you said, but I'm excited cheesy

The only word I recognize is "nsogbu" because I'm a huge Tha Suspect fan lol grin
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by vanndubi: 5:52am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

My family isn't happy with me for dating an Igbo guy, and for some reason the fact that his family is from Ebonyi somehow made it worse. I grew up in the diaspora, so tribalism has never made and never will make any sense to me. I already told them I love him so they should just deal with it.

This one you are not Igbo and you grew up that side, learning Afikpo dialect will be an uphill task. All the same, it will good to understand "tiko tiko" (apoco apoco, little by little, small small) smiley

Before I forget, Afikpo people are the most cultured people in Igboland. They are just unfortunate to be in the same state with people that are somewhat backward undecided oops

2 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 5:54am On Jul 22, 2014
vanndubi:

This one you are not Igbo and you grew up that side, learning Afikpo dialect will be an uphill task. All the same, it will good to understand "tiko tiko" (apoco apoco, little by little, small small) smiley

Before I forget, Afikpo people are the most cultured people in Igboland. They are just unfortunate to be in the same state with people that are somewhat backward undecided oops

cry I know, I know. But I'm a fast learner. I'm going to pm you.

grin I just wanna surprise the heck out of his mom grin

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 5:55am On Jul 22, 2014
Nobody is mentioning Ebonyi's huge agricultural heritage and the enviable table land God has blessed them with. I served in Abakaliki High School (Presco) and lived at Nnorom street adjacent Federal Secretariat.

Ebonyians are quite discriminatory and would try to rob you if they discover you are a stranger. Ghostly town where 7pm is like 1am. I miss Fati Lami Park.
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by vanndubi: 5:55am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

I have no idea what you said, but I'm excited cheesy

The only word I recognize is "nsogbu" because I'm a huge Tha Suspect fan lol grin

Translation: "no problem. I'll be teaching you little by little"

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by spiralwedge(m): 6:11am On Jul 22, 2014
it would be unfair if I didn't comment.
all the ladies I know in lagos, who are from Ebonyi, are lovely, laid back, easy going, beautiful, wonderful, peaceful, friendly, hospitable, homely people. Most married outside their tribe.
I was surprised the first time I got to know they were Igbo.
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 6:15am On Jul 22, 2014
Omimah: Abakiliki is the Dubai of Africa.
laff in dubai.abakaliki is the worst in igbo-land they behave like foo*ls &fight like animal the only igbo-land that fight each other always.even after schooling their pronounciation sounds funny there is no much peace in abakaliki minor issue can cause kiling with knife.so relax i have live there
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by vanndubi: 6:31am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

cry I know, I know. But I'm a fast learner. I'm going to pm you.

grin I just wanna surprise the heck out of his mom grin

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Omimah: 6:39am On Jul 22, 2014
Adikam: laff in dubai.abakaliki is the worst in igbo-land they behave like foo*ls &fight like animal the only igbo-land that fight each other always.even after schooling their pronounciation sounds funny there is no much peace in abakaliki minor issue can cause kiling with knife.so relax i have live there
Abakaliki is the Dubai of Africa just as Aba is the Japan of Africa.
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Bonaventura(m): 6:45am On Jul 22, 2014
Adikam: laff in dubai.abakaliki is the worst in igbo-land they behave like foo*ls &fight like animal the only igbo-land that fight each other always.even after schooling their pronounciation sounds funny there is no much peace in abakaliki minor issue can cause kiling with knife.so relax i have live there
I pity your ignorance and prejudice bro. It is you that behaves the way you just described because I believe that all what you seek for is being quoted. That I just did. Maybe you can now happily gloat in your ignorance. Get it straight, the perceived Ebonyi of yesteryears is not the Ebonyi of today. Tell your mother and all your neighbour about this.

3 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Bonaventura(m): 6:50am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

My dear you are headed towards the right direction. Stick to your man, he's from the most hospitable as well as the fastest growing state in the South East.
Now which of the numerous dialects do you want to learn because they are quite many?
Where does your man come from?

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Daniel058(m): 6:52am On Jul 22, 2014
Nwa ABAKALIKI 4 LIFE...ONWEKWENU?..ALI izzi nwurunwa!!
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by fairheven: 6:53am On Jul 22, 2014
Ebonyi people! THE MOST HONEST AND HUMBLE PEOPLE I EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!
I had an ebonyi friend,my only regret is That I never propose to her wen I shud have,I tot she was friend-zoning,wen I finally I did,it was a hot slap and cries from her;"I HAVE BEEN WAITIN FOR U ALL THIS YEARs TO BE A MAN AN PROPOSE,BUT U WERE CHICKEN-HEARTED,U CUD NOT,SOM1 ELSE WHO IS MAN ENOF HAS DONE THAT"-she said.those were like a piercing arrow to my heart!she is still my best friend,that is my consolation cool smiley smiley wink
The lessons:if u lve somebody,walk up to her/him an tel am u love am-afrcan China. cool

3 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 22, 2014
Bonaventura:
Akuma Akuma Bonaventure: My dear you are headed towards the right direction. Stick to your man, he's from the most hospitable as well as the fastest growing state in the South East.
Now which of the numerous dialects do you want to learn because they are quite many?
Where does your man come from?

The only thing I remember is Afikpo...
He told me the name of his village once, but I forgot embarassed

He's actually not very close to his roots--issues with his father's family sad If you can imagine, he speaks Yoruba better than he speaks Igbo. And his native dialect is even worse.

But I'm very passionate about mother tongues. And I want to be able to chat with his grandmother cheesy

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by philips007(m): 7:32am On Jul 22, 2014
Lionheartedfew: You forgot armed robbery

Everybody can't do ur family business.

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by tonardo(m): 7:50am On Jul 22, 2014
passion007: Okposi

For a living, the Okposi have two major occupations: farming (which is strictly reserved for the men), and salt-production (which is under proscription in favor of the women). In the past, these two occupations made Okposi self-supporting and contented. The situation was such that even the presence of roads and waterways “did not seem to have engendered the habits of travel” in them (Waddington 1933: 4).
It is obvious from the position of the town that her alluvial soils would be rich. Yam farming, became so highly developed that a piece of land was under cultivation every year. Five months after yams are harvested, the land was cleared for planting the alternative crop – cocoyam. Nowadays, it is cassava that is alternated with yams. This attachment to yams continues now in spite of a boost in rice farming.

On earth the most important deity is the “Ani” whose totem is “Aka,” a particularly harmless green snake.

With yams always in the barn and salt and oil in pots, Okposi hospitality became proverbial. Though the people love themselves, they will defend any visitor to the same extent they would defend a close relation. They will not, however, take kindly to anyone who takes their kindness for foolishness.
Social life is always enlivened by the monthly festivals and sometimes by a number of title taking ceremonies. Almost all these titles are connected with achievement in yam farming. The highest of them, “Ikwa odju,” which confers on the title holder the name “Onyiba” could cost up to five hundred pounds, dating back to 1933. (Waddington 13).
The Okposi are externally humble but internally proud. They would do anything to defend their prestige. Fighting ensues almost immediately in any circumstance in which an Okposi man is called a thief. Murder is the town’s highest offence and it carries capital punishment. In any of the eight broad divisions, any man who goes to bed with another’s wife commits adultery and is excluded from ritual ceremonies for life. Before the coming of the white man, he was stoned to death while kleptomaniacs were hanged.
That's my home... You are on point..
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by salt1: 7:51am On Jul 22, 2014
To add more things
1. Ebonyi has limestone. Currently limestone is being mined (actually exploited) at Amasiri, Akpoha and other such places
2. The coup plotter, Dimka, was arrested at Afikpo
3. Their patterns of migration are strange: Ehugbo people travel a lot to Yorubaland. Some even answer Yoruba names. Amasiri people go to Cameroon (they claim Sam E'too has an Amasiri father and Cameroonian mother) and even marry many Cameroonian women, while Ohaozara people come to Lagos
4. Afikpo is a culturally "rich" area. They don't easily adapt to change

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kindly Disregard Any Announcement Of SGF Or Any Other Position For Now. / 18 Witnesses To Testify Against Metuh In Court / I Regret Convening Meeting Same Day Saraki, Ekweremadu Were Elected - Oyegun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.