Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? (22421 Views)

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by leonshom(m): 12:31pm On Jul 22, 2014
Not "Gun" but "Egun"

huptin: I am from Badagry in Lagos, but my mum is from Osun state, i cant even speak a word of Gun ( the badagry language) but i can rap in Yoruba and i even speak my mom's Ijesha dialect quite well. It can be embarassing atimes, especially when i go to badagry, infact i have been told by a few people to bury any political ambition that is attached to badagry because it wont work if i cant speak the language. But i guess its too late to start learning how to be left handed in old age.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by huptin(m): 12:37pm On Jul 22, 2014
leonshom: Not "Gun" but "Egun"

You sure know more about my tribe than me, don't you ?. It is "Gun" or "Ogu" , "Egun" is a derogatory coinage by the Yoruba to refer to our ethnic group.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by GodMode: 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: Fact is they learnt more about reading and writing in America and came to Nigeria for the practical side of things.Clearly there is a huge advantage for Nigerians if they can take time to learn how to read and write too that is my point. THEY WERE NOT FLUENT BEFORE THEY CAME and even now one can hardly say they are fluent but they have done well

It seems u haven't studied a language at a university before or u don't have friends that have studied languages in university.

If someone studies a language like French in Nigeria, during your 3rd year in school, u'll spend a session or some months in a French speaking country (even International Relations students do this).

SO I CAN CONFIDENTLY TELL YOU THEY COULD SPEAK IT FLUENTLY BEFORE COMING TO NAIJA.

From the level of knowledge u have shown from your comments... I guess u're still a fresh undergraduate or u haven't entered uni yet.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Revolva(m): 12:39pm On Jul 22, 2014
I really don't give a damm but good sha its good to learn d language
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 22, 2014
huptin:

You sure know more about my tribe than me, don't you ?. It is "Gun" or "Ogu" , "Egun" is a derogatory coinage by the Yoruba to refer to our ethnic group.
It is not necessarily derogatory The Germans call themselves Deutsch, French Francais,Spanish Espagnol etc so those are just anglicized forms. E gun as pronounced by some is just a grammatical nuance of their language and not derogatory. It is also seen with Arabic names Risikat -u Sikirat-u etc and even among Hausa Ahmad-u

Anyhow the Guns or Ogu identify themselves as Omo Oduduwa. It is important to know that in this respect they are no different from Ekiti,Egba,Awori etc and before colonization "Yoruba" specifically meant Oyo and Oyo speakers. Today Yoruba has been extended to mean all Omo Oduduwa but its original meaning was different
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 22, 2014
justi4jesu:

Me diongho, Eka mi oto odukpani
Ha! Eyen eka mi. cheesy

Adodie?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by 4nez(f): 12:48pm On Jul 22, 2014
Well I ve regrets...proudly igbo no matter what
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by rhonnie(f): 12:49pm On Jul 22, 2014
Abajosax007: i can speak hausa to some extent(i stay in zaria), and also speak yoruba fluently, i speak english but i understand words in my dialet(owe) but i just cant speak them out...though i have improved. I am learning the language to teach my children also.

My dialect is also OWE and I was forced to learn it when we moved to our home town from the north because at that time I could only speak English, Yoruba and a little hausa.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 22, 2014
GodMode:

It seems u haven't studied a language at a university before or u don't have friends that have studied languages in university.

If someone studies a language like French in Nigeria, during your 3rd year in school, u'll spend a session of some months in a French speaking country (even International Relations students do this).

SO I CAN CONFIDENTLY TELL YOU THEY COULD SPEAK IT FLUENTLY BEFORE COMING TO NAIJA.

From the level of knowledge u have shown from your comments... I guess u're still a fresh undergraduate or u haven't entered uni yet.
No I haven't studied a language at Universty and I don't have those kinds of friends. You are spot on.I haven't entered uni yet and probably won't "enter".Iknow they could not speak it fluently before coming to Nigeria. I know because she said so in the video.I don't need to go to uni to understand that
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by GoodBoi1(m): 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2014
jayseehe: no regrets, I need the brain space to learn relevant foreign languages like; Chinese, French and Hindu
and I "heard" that being a polyglot will soon be an advantage for jobs, it opens international doors.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by martineverest(m): 1:01pm On Jul 22, 2014
jayseehe: no regrets, I need the brain space to learn relevant foreign languages like; Chinese, French and Hindu
fool like u.u re only of these low self esteem pple
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 22, 2014
GoodBoi1: and I "heard" that being a polyglot will soon be an advantage for jobs, it opens international doors.
Is that what polyglot is? Many Nigerians are polyglots then
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by GoodBoi1(m): 1:09pm On Jul 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: Is that what polyglot is? Many Nigerians are polyglots then
but I'm referring to foreign languages
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by justi4jesu(f): 1:12pm On Jul 22, 2014
Victoriousvic:
Ha! Eyen eka mi. cheesy

Adodie?

Idioke grin
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Optimisticgondy(m): 1:12pm On Jul 22, 2014
Many of my Ekiti friends do regret it.

As for me sha, I can speak and write in Ekiti dialect, Yoruba and English.

I even sing for the peace of Ekiti in my dialect.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: aii
U'r cumin up in speaking Esan nw rii? grin
lol thanks to u
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Funpeter: 1:15pm On Jul 22, 2014
Smartsyn: No regrets, my dialect is choking anyway..

It's like speaking in tongues..
Guess that's Calabar
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
lol thanks to u
u'r most welcome cheesy smiley
U can holla@mua anytime

We ribhi bbm ma guan bhe dani?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by obas1o: 1:21pm On Jul 22, 2014
Good day every one, I just discover a website that pays u for sharing sometin with ur friends on socail networks like facebook,twitter,googlepus and so on and they also pay dirctly to ur local bank account, wen u place their advert on ur fb or twitter wall and 1 person click on it , dy pay u #10, and when 100 people click it,it gana be 100*10 which is = 1k, and wen u also refer some one to them and d person join vip member,dy pay u #1000,and u can also sigup for a challenge,if u are able to invite 50 frnds to them and they join vip, u r done,cus u will be recieving a total of 100k monthly and if u also invite 10 vips to them u will be paid 10k monthly for 14 months,and if u invite 30 vips u will be paid 50k monthly for 14months, follow the below link to get started http://www.winthrills.com/?ref=obas1o ,after successfully registeration u upgrade ur membership to vip with just 3k, so that u can have access to all their bonus,mind you the 3k is just a dime,cus u can make it within a day even 5k,and make sure your sponsor their is ochuko paul

. Please u may think this is a scam,yahoo or 419..but please i asure u ,is 100% real and legit.but if u r still doubtin no prob, just goto www.google.com,i mean google search engine, and search "winthrills.com is it real or scam?" after that click send,,and see testimonies.but after confirmin don't forget to come back and use my referer link. ,http://www.winthrills.com/?ref=obas1o ..best of luck.
Feel free to contact me if u are encounterin any errors
08158420650 on what'sapp or call
or u can add me on facebook with http://fb.com/obasguru
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Coldfeet(f): 1:25pm On Jul 22, 2014
I speak my language very fluently! I was born and raised in Lagos but my parents made sure the lingua of communication at home was Igbo. My teachers at school taught me how to speak and write english my friends taught me Yoruba and (Hausa just a lil). The one time I could have learnt efik was when i lived in Ibeno Akwa Ibom state but those people no give me chance at all!! They speak it so fast that one can't even grab where a full stop or comma was made! lolz. Nice people though.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 22, 2014
justi4jesu:

Idioke grin
Nko aba ke Lagos?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by justi4jesu(f): 1:48pm On Jul 22, 2014
Victoriousvic:
Nko aba ke Lagos?

mba ke Dubai
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 22, 2014
rhonnie:

My dialect is also OWE and I was forced to learn it when we moved to our home town from the north because at that time I could only speak English, Yoruba and a little hausa.
okun o, ile ko. Hope i tried.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by rhonnie(f): 2:57pm On Jul 22, 2014
Abajosax007: okun o, ile ko. Hope i tried.

Lol, wo se re die. Ara le re woin ko, se alafia ke gha.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by jayseehe(m): 3:16pm On Jul 22, 2014
martineverest:
fool like u.u re only of these low self esteem pple
*ignored
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by amichaelz101(m): 3:37pm On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: I smell frustration grin
Stop d hating#jx because u can't speak urs tongue
lool.. Me and u na same same baba
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by tpia1: 3:51pm On Jul 22, 2014
Dialect is distinct from language @ op.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by IdomaLikita: 4:16pm On Jul 22, 2014
Despite being Raised far away from my Home State and Idoma Catchment Areas, plus Having virtually nobody to Interact With in my Dialect, I'm proud to say I speak the Edumoga Dialect of the Idoma Language Perfectly! I'm Eternally Grateful to my Mother for this!
I also speak Hausa and Igbo Fluently(which facilitated Communication with my Patients in all the places I've worked)

Yoruba is just too Romantic for me to die without Learning!

#i need an Idoma Wife Baaaadly#

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 22, 2014
rhonnie:

Lol, wo se re die. Ara le re woin ko, se alafia ke gha.
i just can't stop laughing, my family are all fine and yours? You are from which side
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by JEITO: 4:55pm On Jul 22, 2014
Regrets plenty o. I will never forget once when a family friend of ours was speaking beyond what I could comprehend. Before I knew it, she had gotten angry and called my dad blaming him for my inability to speak. She said the man want to lose their children to foreigners.

Not that I can't speak, but I am not as fluent as one that grew up in the native environment..

I speak english infested Afemai
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by OchukoisBlack(m): 5:13pm On Jul 22, 2014
AriDsexy:
Please o,I need lessons
*Urhobo wadoo*

pm me when you're ready.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: u'r most welcome cheesy smiley
U can holla@mua anytime

We ribhi bbm ma guan bhe dani?
yes 2adf29bb

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor / Ooni Appoints Adediwura As New Obalufe (Photo) / Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.