Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

I Miss Nigerian Cakes - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I Miss Nigerian Cakes (7367 Views)

Time For Nostalgia - I Miss Eating: / Birthday Cakes / How Do I Make My Cakes Last For Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Miss Nigerian Cakes by onila(f): 1:55am On Jul 22, 2014
I miss those party/wedding Nigerian cakes

very brown inside with hard icing on top

and I also like the fact they use brandy to make the cake

makes the cake taste rich n just delicious

really hate these oyibo cakes aka sponge cake

I wish Nigerian restaurants made Naija party cake here
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by tpia1: 3:16am On Jul 22, 2014
where in nigeria do they use brandy to make cake?

stop spreading misinformation. Some people add brandy to their cakes doesnt mean every nigerian cake is made with brandy.

i did not use brandy when i baked cake in nigeria.
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by onila(f): 3:46am On Jul 22, 2014
tpia1: where in nigeria do they use brandy to make cake?

stop spreading misinformation. Some people add brandy to their cakes doesnt man every nigerian cake is made with brandy.

i did not use brandy when i baked cake in nigeria.

dont know abt you but all the Nigerian cakes i eat in nigeria had brandy in it

1 Like

Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by tpia1: 4:17am On Jul 22, 2014
cant say the same.

the typical nigerian cake is a sponge or pound cake, which does not require brandy to make.

if you are thinking of brandy as a preservative, then i'm sure that is not the only alternative for preserving cakes.
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by chucky234(m): 6:44am On Jul 22, 2014
onila:

dont know abt you but all the Nigerian cakes i eat in nigeria had brandy in it
Brandy ke
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 22, 2014
chucky234: Brandy ke
yrs brandy. I love brandy in my cakes too

1 Like

Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by onila(f): 11:38am On Jul 22, 2014
kulyie: yrs brandy. I love brandy in my cakes too
BETTER PERSON

1 Like

Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by ibizgirl(f): 1:16pm On Jul 22, 2014
I guess you are taking about fruits cakes. The mixed fruits are always soaked in brandy @ least 2 days before it's used, so the brandy is transferred to the cake. I guess to every man Its own. My all time favourite cake is carrot cake.

onila: I miss those party/wedding Nigerian cakes

very brown inside with hard icing on top

and I also like the fact they use brandy to make the cake

makes the cake taste rich n just delicious

really hate these oyibo cakes aka sponge cake

I wish Nigerian restaurants made Naija party cake here
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by lepasharon(f): 2:41pm On Jul 22, 2014
Ohh i get what you mean,those Nigerian cakes with the bitter taste and raisins in it ? I dont like it undecided
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by cynhamscakes(f): 3:41pm On Jul 22, 2014
I have never had the opportunity to eat made by Oyibo cakes but i have often heard and read about minor complaints by people not liking oyinbo cakes.

The brandy, apart from functioning as a preservative also serves to improve the taste of the cake. My favourite cake is Carrot and Coconut cake.

Onila these are for you.......

Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by tpia1: 5:25pm On Jul 22, 2014
Oyibo cakes are lighter and not as filling as nigerian cakes, which tend to be thicker and heavy on calories.

In addition, oyibo cakes are layered, unlike the nigerian style. Some people prefer thick slices of cakes with no filler in between.

Be all that as it may, it is wrong for onila to present nigerian cakes as if nigerian bakers routinely soak their cakes with brandy, I don't know where she saw that but she needs to modify her thread title and say she misses the taste of brandy in cake which she's not finding overseas.

Commercially sold cakes overseas would be expected to indicate if alcohol was involved in the preparation so people can know what they are eating.

Pound cake is alright and tastes like traditional nigerian cake. Its not prepared with alcohol.

Preserving a cake can be done in more than one way.

I'm not aware of fruit cake being commonly consumed in nigeria.
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2014
onila: BETTER PERSON
ose jare wink

Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:24pm On Jul 22, 2014
I must disagree a bit here.

I prefer oyinbo cake to Nigerian cake. especially cream cakes, chocolate cakes, etc.

3 Likes

Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by Fulaman198(m): 6:27pm On Jul 22, 2014
cynhamscakes: I have never had the opportunity to eat made by Oyibo cakes but i have often heard and read about minor complaints by people not liking oyinbo cakes.

The brandy, apart from functioning as a preservative also serves to improve the taste of the cake. My favourite cake is Carrot and Coconut cake.

Onila these are for you.......

LOL I don't know if you want to eat Oyibo cakes, they have so much sugar in them due to frosting. Their healthiest cake is the Angel fruit cake or however it is called. Everything else has too much frosting.
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by Fulaman198(m): 6:27pm On Jul 22, 2014
PAGAN9JA: I must disagree a bit here.

I prefer oyinbo cake to Nigerian cake. especially cream cakes, chocolate cakes, etc.

Because you have a sweet tooth ROFLLLL
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by tpia1: 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2014
oyibo cakes:

Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by tpia1: 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2014
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by Fulaman198(m): 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2014
tpia1: oyibo cakes:

LOL yep the frosting
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2014
Fulaman198:

Because you have a sweet tooth ROFLLLL

Thats right! cool

Seeing this pictures makes my mouth water:

[img]http://gercakes.files./2012/07/dark-chocolate-cake-3a.jpg[/img]
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:34pm On Jul 22, 2014
Nigerian cakes are thick and dense. I would have them with Tea/Milo/Milk,etc.
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by Fulaman198(m): 6:34pm On Jul 22, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Thats right! cool

Seeing this pictures makes my mouth water:

[img]http://gercakes.files./2012/07/dark-chocolate-cake-3a.jpg[/img]

While I do agree that Western/Oyibo cakes are sweeter, they are much less healthier (as if Cakes are healthy to begin with). One must be careful of all these things like Western cookies, doughnuts, cakes, candies, etc. It can be difficult and you can develop a sweet tooth from it which in turn can ruin your teeth and possibly be detrimental in other areas of health.
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2014
Fulaman198:

While I do agree that Western/Oyibo cakes are sweeter, they are much less healthier (as if Cakes are healthy to begin with). One must be careful of all these things like Western cookies, doughnuts, cakes, candies, etc. It can be difficult and you can develop a sweet tooth from it which in turn can ruin your teeth and possibly be detrimental in other areas of health.

Yes it is true. They are not healthy.

Once in a while is fine. Not everyday ofcourse.

1 Like

Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by lepasharon(f): 7:08pm On Jul 22, 2014
tpia1: oyibo cakes:

see how juicy the oyinbo cake looks compared to the nigerian one
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by ibizgirl(f): 7:31pm On Jul 22, 2014
You seem to be over reacting dear, she said the nigerian cakes are brown and have brandy in them probably she always had fruit cake - they are brown and they have brandy in them. And she even perfers Nigerian cakes to Oyinbo cakes cheesy cheesy cheesy

tpia1: Oyibo cakes are lighter and not as filling as nigerian cakes, which tend to be thicker and heavy on calories.

In addition, oyibo cakes are layered, unlike the nigerian style. Some people prefer thick slices of cakes with no filler in between.

Be all that as it may, it is wrong for onila to present nigerian cakes as if nigerian bakers routinely soak their cakes with brandy, I don't know where she saw that but she needs to modify her thread title and say she misses the taste of brandy in cake which she's not finding overseas.

Commercially sold cakes overseas would be expected to indicate if alcohol was involved in the preparation so people can know what they are eating.

Pound cake is alright and tastes like traditional nigerian cake. Its not prepared with alcohol.

Preserving a cake can be done in more than one way.

I'm not aware of fruit cake being commonly consumed in nigeria.
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:42pm On Jul 22, 2014
Actually there is no such thing as oyinbo cakes and Nigerian cakes.

cakes are cakes and have always been a Western dish.

Nigerian cakes are bad copies of oyinbo cakes.

However, to each his own taste.

2 Likes

Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by onila(f): 11:43pm On Jul 22, 2014
I love the thickness of Nigerian cakes

I hate oyibo cakes

i used to like oyibo velvet cake but not Anymore
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by tpia5: 3:33am On Jul 23, 2014
^ have you added the word 'brandy' to the thread title yet?

just so people can know exactly what type of cake you're referring to.
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by tpia5: 3:34am On Jul 23, 2014
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by cynhamscakes(f): 4:54am On Jul 23, 2014
Chai! The oyibo cakes looks more attractive sha . But too much cream filling takes away the taste of the cake itself. You won't be able to appreciate the true taste of the cake you are eating cos the filling kinda over shadows the cake itself. I fill my cakes though but not too much cream.
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by onila(f): 7:18pm On Oct 31, 2014

1 Like

Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by tpia6: 4:12am On Nov 01, 2014
onila you are hooked on this stuff.

at this rate, you will go through the entire african population, how much make up have you sold btw.
Re: I Miss Nigerian Cakes by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 01, 2014
tpia6:
onila you are hooked on this stuff.

at this rate, you will go through the entire african population, how much make up have you sold btw.
Dz girl u like trouble gan.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Knows The Origin Of Agege Bread / 4 Surprising Health Benefits You Can Get From Zobo (hibiscus Drink) / "Beans And Banana" Is It A Good Combination?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.