Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,021 members, 7,803,436 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

See How To Succeed As An Entrepreneur - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / See How To Succeed As An Entrepreneur (410 Views)

Students Who Do These 5 Things Will Succeed Academically - INFOGRAPHIC / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life / Is Intelligence Overrated: What You Really Need To Succeed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

See How To Succeed As An Entrepreneur by realuz: 8:03am On Jul 22, 2014
I've been an entrepreneur for 10 years. I learned business the old-fashioned way through pure trial and error. I don't believe that business can be taught any other way, and even if it could I don't believe it could be as effective. Entrepreneurship is really hot right now. Twenty-five year olds are becoming millionaires overnight simply by developing apps. In this environment there's no wonder why so many young people are becoming attracted to entrepreneurship. In typical college fashion, many universities are trying to exploit this trend by developing entrepreneurship courses and majors. This is total nonsense and here's three reasons why.

1.) Can't Manufacture Risk Takers
The biggest thing that separates entrepreneurs from employees is that entrepreneurs are risk-takers. You simply can't manufacture risk-takers. The higher education system serves the purpose of manufacturing like-minded clones with the same attributes and mentalities. When I say clones, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I'm not sure there's any other way to sugarcoat the truth. A clone by definition is a model that matches another with the same characteristics. Think about how detrimental it would be if entrepreneurs were all walking around with the same thought processes and approach to business. We'd never innovate. At the core of entrepreneurship is the idea of individualism. Individualism is not an attribute that is encouraged in the classroom setting and it never will be. It would force a learning environment with limited curriculum because in an environment that cultivates the growth of individuals, there's no way to appropriately grade each individual student. Are you supposed to give one kid an "A" because his idea and business plan worked, but then you give another kid an "F" because theirs didn't? This is why teaching entrepreneurship in the classroom makes no sense.

College by default is the average person's Plan A and Plan B. Think about it. Even when young adults aren't necessarily excited about going to college they're pressured by their parents and they're told, "you need to graduate from college so you have something to fall back on." Entrepreneurs don't look for things to fall back on and they're not fond of Plan Bs. They go all in.
Continue www.uztalks.com/2014/07/see-how-to-succeed-as-entrepreneur.html?m=1

(1) (Reply)

Study In One Of Three Leading Universities In Russia In English Or Russian! / Gossip And Drama All In One Spot / Lagos's BRT Survey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.