Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad (5378 Views)

My Dog's Ear Sore Has Failed To Heal / My Dog Is Going Blind :'( / Help Me With Breed Of My Dog.(pics Included). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Seun(m): 2:22pm On Jul 22, 2014
My dog's behaviour suggests that there is something wrong with his ears. Any time I interact with him, he will shake his head at least once. He also regularly brushes a side of his head (usually the left) against walls. He often starts making a funny noise and brushing his ears with his paws while lying down. Then he'll get up and shake his head again. Once in a while, I'll notice that that he has one ear straight and the other at an angle with his head bent to one side. Then he'll shake his head 2 or 3 times. According to my research, these are all signs of ear problems.

I invited a vet doctor (the only one I know) to see the dog, but the dog didn't shake his head while the vet was around (it seems that he is able to ignore the discomfort when he's being alert). But at one point he had one ear up and the other ear bent to the side. When we pointed that out, the vet laughed and said it's nothing. He looked at the ears very briefly and immediately concluded that there's nothing wrong with the ears. He said the dog is not pure and the crossing may have caused his ears to be a bit funny. He gave the dog a bunch of random injections including "an antibiotic" which he said will "flush out any infection" at the cost of about 8,000 naira. He also suggested that if the dog has any parasites in his ears, the Frontline anti-tick and anti-flea spray will be "absorbed into his body" and travel to his ears to attack the parasites.

The next day he called me to ask if the dog has improved. I told him the dog still shakes his head a lot. And he laughed. I don't know why.

So my dog still shakes his head very frequently. Not constantly but often enough that it is clear that it is not normal. I've lived with many dogs. I'm afraid that if the issue is not treated in time, his hearing may be affected which is not going to help his security duties. I'm also afraid that the frequent shaking will cause a hematoma which will require an expensive surgery that will cause his ears to become floppy. This happened to two of our dogs many years ago (this vet doctor was the one who operated on both of them, after failing to treat the original problem)

If this ear problem causes permanent damage to the dog, I won't be able to keep him. I need a dog that is in perfect health. Please help me!

2 Likes

Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by saasala(m): 3:02pm On Jul 22, 2014
I dont know much about dogs, but I think an egbon (Sorry I dont know its english name) has found its way into his ear.
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by oluomoadebayo: 3:15pm On Jul 22, 2014
Is there any sign of lump around the scratch area? If not i think it could be normal. Check for any flea or tick. How often did you exercise him?
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Mynd44: 3:16pm On Jul 22, 2014
Ear wax......

Do you have some alchohol? Soak cotton wool in it and clean the internat part of the ears thoroughly with it, do it for both ears.

PS. You are gonna get some real funky smell

1 Like

Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 22, 2014
I remember this thread from before the wipe. Does this mean the problem is still ongoing?
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 22, 2014
Why dont you try inviting another Vet for proper check up and possible treatment? Am quite sure we should have good Vets here on NL or any good recommendation
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 22, 2014
Is it that old gsd dog?
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by uzoexcel(m): 5:58pm On Jul 22, 2014
seeen ds post before?is the dog still having issues? why not seek the opinion of anoda vet
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by anselm791(m): 8:25pm On Jul 22, 2014
I know you trust your vet and want to be in a faithful relationship with him but when it comes to health, there's nothing wrong with seeking another consult or getting referrals. Your dog probably have otitis media or worse still you're just being anxious. Only one way to find out...
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by mumumugu(m): 8:27pm On Jul 22, 2014
Typical atheist worrying over dog when chibok girls are missing....

Anyway, it is seasonal. Dogs have earing problem during raining season.

2 Likes

Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Ishilove: 8:28pm On Jul 22, 2014
Mynd44: Ear wax......

Do you have some alchohol? Soak cotton wool in it and clean the internat part of the ears thoroughly with it, do it for both ears.

@bolded. Tell me about. My kid bro poured kerosene into Ruggedman's ear and since then, the poor dog is a walking stink bomb sad embarassed

Seun, you are on your own grin grin grin grin
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by AdeniyiA(m): 10:21pm On Jul 22, 2014
Seun nd dogs lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Godspearl(f): 10:42am On Jul 23, 2014
Your dog has external otitis,does it have droppy ears or lots of hairs in d ear that blocks ear circulation to the ear,do u allow excessive water get into d ear while bathing or improper grooming or cleaning of the ear.soon d dog is gonna tilt d head towards d painful side and cry when d ear is touched and very bad odour is gonna ooze out..D solution is to take ur dog to a good vet hospital or call an experienced vet telling them what u think is wrong with ur dog after u might av researched more on otitis externa,otitis media and otitis interna...If u really love that dog seek a solution fast. Cases like this shows d difference between a vet and a quack

2 Likes

Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Seun(m): 11:31am On Jul 23, 2014
oluomoadebayo: Is there any sign of lump around the scratch area? If not i think it could be normal.
I often massage the ears when petting the dog. The only lumpy thing around the ears is the muscle that controls the ear. Nothing else.

Check for any flea or tick.
We found a small tick on his body (not the ears) when the vet doctor checked him but I have since sprayed him all over with Fibronyl which has always worked perfectly for our other dogs. I sprayed the back of his ears but I was afraid to spray it directly into the ears. Should I?

How often did you exercise him?
I don't walk him because I don't live in an estate, and because he pulls like a bull, but we have a long compound, so we play fetch every day with tennis balls and other throwable items. We usually stop when he gets tired, which on some days doesn't take as long as one would expect.

Mynd44: Ear wax......
Wow, you may be right. I saw some brown crusty stuff inside his ears yesterday night. I'll clean it this afternoon, but I'm worried that the stuff really bothering him is deep inside the ear where the cotton wool won't be able to reach. In order to clean the innermost parts I'll need to pour liquid into the ear canal and then allow the dog to shake it out, but the web says this is bad if his ear drums aren't confirmed to be intact.
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Mynd44: 1:20pm On Jul 23, 2014
Seun:
I often massage the ears when petting the dog. The only lumpy thing around the ears is the muscle that controls the ear. Nothing else.

We found a small tick on his body (not the ears) when the vet doctor checked him but I have since sprayed him all over with Fibronyl which has always worked perfectly for our other dogs. I sprayed the back of his ears but I was afraid to spray it directly into the ears. Should I?

I don't walk him because I don't live in an estate, and because he pulls like a bull, but we have a long compound, so we play fetch every day with tennis balls and other throwable items. We usually stop when he gets tired, which on some days doesn't take as long as one would expect.

Wow, you may be right. I saw some brown crusty stuff inside his ears yesterday night. I'll clean it this afternoon, but I'm worried that the stuff really bothering him is deep inside the ear where the cotton wool won't be able to reach. In order to clean the innermost parts I'll need to pour liquid into the ear canal and then allow the dog to shake it out, but the web says this is bad if his ear drums aren't confirmed to be intact.
DO NOT POUR ALCHOHOL INTO THE DOG'S EARS!!!!

Please don't...

Most times, it is not deep but if it is, get a vet. My vest wraps the cotton wool around a pair of scissor, dips it in alcohol then clean the ears but I don't advise you do that as you might not be trained enough.

I don't cos I get afraid of hurting the ears

1 Like

Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by whitemosquito(f): 3:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
Seun:

Quick q, Seun.

Do you take care of your girlfrnd/fiancee as much as you do this dog?! Na wa o!

4 Likes

Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by joedejana(m): 7:11pm On Jul 23, 2014
He just cares for it...sometimes dogs may be your best companions... Most especially the ones you nurtured from a tender age....sometimes you play dangerous games with it that scares them which shouldn't be heard of lipsrsealed....get a RAM in your house and you'll know how stubborn the idiots are and how intelligent your DOG is.

4 Likes

Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Emary(f): 1:31am On Aug 11, 2014
Seun, please consider getting the opinion of another vet. I believe your vet may not be honest with you. Even human antibiotic injections are rarely that expensive. Again, not all of them are good with or even interested in dogs.
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Emary(f): 1:36am On Aug 11, 2014
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by maxtum(m): 6:07pm On Aug 21, 2014
Caused by ticks in the ear, use cotton to scrub the ear (internal) a little bit further down.
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by BOUNTYDOG(m): 9:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
Hmmm.I really don't know how long you have allowed this dog live with this which is very bad and the vets should be....I mean its annoying when it has gone to the extent of affecting the placements of its ear and the vets still tells you all is well! ..Too bad
The dog will definitely have dropping from its affected ear if u check properly,all u need do is 1st aid which is actually the cure for it if u noticed and treated early enough.
Get a piece of white handkerchief,original dettol not its imitation,and water to dilute
Dilute as recommended and soak the handkerchief in the diluted dettol,remove and squeeze to make it damp and use to clean out all the droppings from the ears
You will have to repeat the process like 3ce a week until it stops shaking its ear and places his ears normally.it should stop in 2wks if u ave started early but if it persists get chloramphenicol ear/eye drops and use for the ears as prescribed.
Come thank me later.
Note: Your vet is callous or inexperienced,either cares more bout the money than the sound health of your dog.

2 Likes

Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Seun(m): 10:36pm On Oct 10, 2014
BOUNTYDOG:
Hmmm.I really don't know how long you have allowed this dog live with this which is very bad and the vets should be....I mean its annoying when it has gone to the extent of affecting the placements of its ear and the vets still tells you all is well! ..Too bad
The dog will definitely have dropping from its affected ear if u check properly,all u need do is 1st aid which is actually the cure for it if u noticed and treated early enough.
Get a piece of white handkerchief,original dettol not its imitation,and water to dilute
Dilute as recommended and soak the handkerchief in the diluted dettol,remove and squeeze to make it damp and use to clean out all the droppings from the ears
You will have to repeat the process like 3ce a week until it stops shaking its ear and places his ears normally.it should stop in 2wks if u ave started early but if it persists get chloramphenicol ear/eye drops and use for the ears as prescribed.
Come thank me later.
Note: Your vet is callous or inexperienced,either cares more bout the money than the sound health of your dog.
Thanks so much. I actually got a second vet who helped us to clean the dog's ears thoroughly with methylated spirit and cotton wool instead of dettol. This alone didn't stop the ear shaking but when I sprayed him all with Fibronyl spray after the ear cleaning, he stopped shaking his head for a while. Since then, whenever he starts shaking his head again, just spraying his head area seemed to stop it. But when I could not spray him for a while, spraying alone stopped working until I cleaned his ears thoroughly with spirit and cotton wool again. He loves it, but the ear shaking keeps coming back so I'll start cleaning his ears regularly with dettol as you suggested; I hope that solves the problem permanently.
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by dyrated(m): 12:20am On Oct 11, 2014
[color=#990000][/color] Am a vet doctor, I can. Tell. You what might be wrong with your dog but I need to ask u some questions, did u bath your dog recently and you are sure water did not get into the dog ear, and if your dog is. Injured in the ear it might cause discomfort. I. Have an issue once like that or better still you can call me to know more. D Dog Fada. 07032076030, 08096571939
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by BOUNTYDOG(m): 8:58am On Oct 11, 2014
Seun:

Thanks so much. I actually got a second vet who helped us to clean the dog's ears thoroughly with methylated spirit and cotton wool instead of dettol. This alone didn't stop the ear shaking but when I sprayed him all with Fibronyl spray after the ear cleaning, he stopped shaking his head for a while. Since then, whenever he starts shaking his head again, just spraying his head area seemed to stop it. But when I could not spray him for a while, spraying alone stopped working until I cleaned his ears thoroughly with spirit and cotton wool again. He loves it, but the ear shaking keeps coming back so I'll start cleaning his ears regularly with dettol as you suggested; I hope that solves the problem permanently.
Yes it will,it might have caused an infection inside his ear,you can use the chloramphenicol ear drops,just put like 2 or 3 drops inside its ears it should stop it parmanently.
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by nwaobitex: 9:16am On Oct 11, 2014
Pic or...
Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by Dogsworld(f): 3:02pm On Oct 16, 2014
Dear Seun,

I read this some time ago and realised that I had not replied!!! real awful...
At this point in time, I hope that the ear infection has gone.
Anyway, when such symptoms are showing, I would recommend that you call a vet who 'cares' about his patients.
The very fact that he laughed it off and blamed your dogs ' lineage' ... what the HELL does that have ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING. It;s liek telling a mother oh, your child has bad teeth because it is in her blood... when you know that 2 days ago, your child had good teeth.

Anyway... I would highly recommend you call a vet that is always ready to move Heaven and Earth for your dog...
I HATE feeling powerless in such situations and having a vet give me such BS.

please call Dr Mark Ofua on 08065184913 saintmark2003@yahoo.com
Talk to him...

I hope this helps and sorry for my late reply!

https://www.nairaland.com/1043675/dog-lovers-nigeria-very-own

2 Likes

Re: My Dog's Ear Discomfort Is Making Me Sad by wahabdisu: 7:08pm On Oct 31, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Amazing Facts About Cats / The Nigeria Kennel Club / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.