Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

The Best Candidate You'll Never Hire - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Best Candidate You'll Never Hire (1016 Views)

FAAN Successful Candidate / Nigerian Airforce Dssc 2012 Shortlisted Candidate / Nnpc Shortlisted Candidate 2011: Any clue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Candidate You'll Never Hire by Triska: 4:42pm On Jul 22, 2014
Unemployment is down; job opportunities are up. Then why are we reading so much about the long-term unemployed?

A sizeable contingent of talented professionals who are out of work are not counted among the unemployed, because they’ve simply given up. If you've been in a long-term job hunt, or are close to someone who has, you understand, because you know the roller coaster of emotions. High: "Hey! I have an interview!" Medium: "I think it went well..." Low: "Sigh...another rejection."

A sad fact: The longer that someone is out of the so-called "traditional" workforce, the harder it will be to land a job. Why? The usually incorrect assumption is that there is "something wrong” with the individual. Often, the only thing wrong is poor timing or maybe just plain bad luck. I know. I have been helping a few very talented friends and family members who are in this boat. Despite unblemished work records and terrific skills, doors just aren’t opening for them.

Why should a hiring manager or an HR professional care about the long-term unemployed? Why even give them a second look? According to a recent study published by Bloomberg News, most of these candidates possess several high-value traits. An employer who has enough foresight to look beyond the rigid boundaries of traditional career progression can discover candidates with qualities such as:

Resiliency: It’s a key competency for any business. A job search is tedious and without reward until it’s over. Those who’ve been on the hunt for a while have developed the ability to bounce back from disappointment, retool the approach and try again.

Change Agility: Being unemployed means adjusting to upheaval, losing the routine of a job and reordering your life. Those who’ve just marched happily from job to job may not have ever faced significant change – especially unexpected change.

Priority Setting: There’s an old adage, “Looking for work is a full time job.” Yes, it is. In addition, several of the long-term unemployed that I know have also managed interstate relocations, taken on added family responsibilities, picked up a freelance project and/or returned to school – all while continuing a full-fledged job search. Their time management skills are honed far beyond those who’ve never been in a similar situation.

Loyalty and Gratitude: Anyone who has been in a long-term job search is likely to be incredibly grateful to the employer that finally offers the big breakthrough. Gratitude breeds loyalty and loyalty translates to retention. Want to improve turnover? Start hiring people who want you even more than you want them.

The long-term unemployed have been through the wringer. In the process, they’ve sharpened competencies that are in high demand in today’s workplace. Many of them have also invested their own funds to expand their knowledge or acquire new skills. Recruiters or hiring managers who steadfastly refuse to consider long-term unemployed candidates are doing their organizations a great disservice.

Open your eyes and your mind to discover the best candidate you may never before have considered – one of the skilled and talented long-term unemployed.

5 Likes

Re: The Best Candidate You'll Never Hire by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 22, 2014
Thank you very much for raising this l have watched with dismay how employers discriminate using the above as reasons especially the banks where one left due to unforeseen circumstance and wish to come they will say that they want people who are still in the system in quote forgetting that one was once in the system and one is coming back armed with a lot to offer
Re: The Best Candidate You'll Never Hire by onome710(m): 6:26am On Jul 23, 2014
Good write up.
Although I think this 'longterm unemployed' folks have better chance that the fresh graduate as vacancies and job adverts come with a minimum of 3yrs post graduate experience which can be gotten by manipulating address and names of companies and dates or actually putting past experience but the young, fresh graduate doesn't have this luxury. So? Are they not better placed to get jobs faster?
Re: The Best Candidate You'll Never Hire by Triska: 7:52am On Jul 23, 2014
dannio: Thank you very much for raising this l have watched with dismay how employers discriminate using the above as reasons especially the banks where one left due to unforeseen circumstance and wish to come they will say that they want people who are still in the system in quote forgetting that one was once in the system and one is coming back armed with a lot to offer

I think we should ask these so-called "HR" experts or recruiting experts what (bad word removed!) expertise do they have to judge our qualifications!!!!!!!!!! Have they been on the other side before?
Re: The Best Candidate You'll Never Hire by Triska: 7:57am On Jul 23, 2014
onome710: Good write up.
Although I think this 'longterm unemployed' folks have better chance that the fresh graduate as vacancies and job adverts come with a minimum of 3yrs post graduate experience which can be gotten by manipulating address and names of companies and dates or actually putting past experience but the young, fresh graduate doesn't have this luxury. So? Are they not better placed to get jobs faster?

But , alas, against your valid points they (the HR people) put only one word: 'overqualified'
Re: The Best Candidate You'll Never Hire by onome710(m): 10:16am On Jul 23, 2014
Triska:

But , alas, against your valid points they (the HR people) put only one word: 'overqualified'

Hmmmm... But I'll rather be overqualified than not qualified at all. #myOpinion

(1) (Reply)

Latest Job Vacancies In Nigeria Ond/hnd/bsc... / Banking Jobs At Coastline Micro Finance Bank in Warri / FERMA Recruitment Exercise Your Experience So Far!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.