Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

Difference Between Cartoons And Animation - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Difference Between Cartoons And Animation (3258 Views)

Throw Back: Cartoons We Grew Up With / Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons / NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Cartoons And Animation by tpia5: 9:13pm On Jul 22, 2014
I think the major difference is in length.

Cartoons are short flicks while animation tells a longer story.
Re: Difference Between Cartoons And Animation by DickDastardly(m): 10:04pm On Jul 22, 2014
Dead wrong
Re: Difference Between Cartoons And Animation by DickDastardly(m): 10:08pm On Jul 22, 2014
Cartoons are drawn
While Animation gives life to such drawn cartoons in movie form. tongue
Re: Difference Between Cartoons And Animation by DickDastardly(m): 10:14pm On Jul 22, 2014
Furthermore,

To animate means to give life.
Cartoon doesnt move, so its inanimate unlike animation movies that has motion and are given life.
Re: Difference Between Cartoons And Animation by b3llo(m): 12:23am On Jul 23, 2014
Cartoon is in 2-Dimension while Animation is in 3-Dimension.
Re: Difference Between Cartoons And Animation by RayMcBlue(m): 7:48am On Jul 23, 2014
tpia5: I think the major difference is in length.

Cartoons are short flicks while animation tells a longer story.

It has nothing to do with the length. The popular Cartoon Series "Tom And Jerry" is an animation just as much as the lengthy "Lion King" franchise.

A cartoon is a comical drawing of a character or thing. It doesn't move and is usually 2 dimensioned.

An Animation is the process of giving life to the drawn cartoon characters and can be 2 to 3 dimensioned depending on the level of technology on offer.

Both of them complements each other beautifully, which is why we have the ever growing genre of animated 3D cartoons nowadays. "Despicable Me", "Lion King", and "Crood" are few examples of animated 3D cartoon Blockbusters.

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Cartoons And Animation by VillageBoi(m): 8:26am On Jul 23, 2014
^ ^ ^
Well said Ray!

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Cartoons And Animation by RayMcBlue(m): 9:07am On Jul 23, 2014
VillageBoi: ^ ^ ^
Well said Ray!
cool
Re: Difference Between Cartoons And Animation by tpia1: 5:12pm On Jul 23, 2014
I'm referring to cartoons on tv, not cartoons in the print media like newspapers.

Eg cartoon network features moving cartoons.

Animated movies are longer and with more detailed storylines than regular cartoons.
Re: Difference Between Cartoons And Animation by tpia1: 3:17pm On Aug 08, 2014

(1) (Reply)

Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? / 10 Films Everyone Should See Before They Die / [COMEDY DOWNLOAD]: Mark Angel Comedy – Leave Me Alone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.