Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,444 members, 7,801,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili (1412 Views)

Ezekwesili: We’re Being Reminded Of Military Era. The Cable. / Oby Ezekwesili, Nigerians React To INEC's Decision To Shift Polls On Twitter / Oby Ezekwesili Reacts To Okonjo-Iweala's Response To Charles Soludo's Article (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by DonColz1(m): 1:12am On Jul 23, 2014
A former Minister of Education and a champion of the #BringBackOurGirls Campaign, Mrs. Obiageli Ezekwesili, has narrated her ordeals in the hands of security operatives at the Abuja International Airport on Monday.
Ezekwesili was delayed for over 40 minutes by men of the Department of State Security, who harassed her based on “orders from above.”
Narrating her ordeals to members of the Christian Association of Nigerian-Americans, to whom she is a trustee on Tuesday, Ezekwesili gave a blow by blow account of her ordeals in the hands of DSS.
This was contained in a statement by the CANAN Executive Director, Pastor Laolu Akande, after the former minister visited the group in London.
Akande quoted Ezekwesili as saying that, “I arrived at the airport yesterday (on Monday) to travel to London on British Airline. First, after the luggage screening section, I moved to the Customs people, sitting right next to it and do a more thorough bag search. Rather than they handling my luggage as is the practice, there were three SSS men, who rudely took over before they could do so, and ordered me to open my bag.
“I was travelling light, with just my hand luggage leather roll on and my computer bag. I placed the bag for them (to see) and one was already furiously frisking through it when the Customs advised that a woman be allowed to do it. She was allowed and she did it.
“She finished, zipped up the luggage and they said I could proceed. But I asked that the computer bag be also searched, and they did.
“I went on to do my checking and got my boarding pass, and was swiftly done. I arrived the Departure Immigration Desk at about 7.15am and presented my passport and forms. The Immigration staff did his processing and handed to the SSS official. Usually, their entire process lasts no more than five to 10 minutes on a passport. As a frequent traveller through our Lagos and Abuja airports, I speak based on experience and evidence. Even on the same day, the process for other travellers that I witnessed did not last more than five minutes. But on Monday, it became five, 10, 15 and 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 minutes for the Departure Desk processing for me, with no explanation given except “We act under instruction.”
Ezekwesili said after 10 minutes of waiting, she asked the officer why her passport was not handed over to her.
“He responded, “I am not doing this personally madam. I am simply acting based on instruction, and you of all persons should understand that.”
“When it was 20 minutes into the process, and with BA announcing the final boarding call for the 8am flight, the officer walked out of the cubicle, heading off. I followed him, asking where he was going without giving back my passport nor an explanation on why it was being withheld. His nonchalant response was “just wait. I am trying to help you”.
“It became evident that they withheld the passport to detain me at their departure desk in order to miss the flight. That was when I tweeted @ 7.37am “@obyezeks: Is this a democracy? I am being detained by the SSS @ Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport. The SSS has refused to give my passport to me.” At 7.41am “@obyezeks: On my way to London this morning for my @BBCHARDtalk appearance billed for tomorrow and the SSS has detained me by withholding my passport.”
“At that point, I brought out my phone to record him even as I asked for the passport. He got angry and charged at me that he would seize my phone. Then his colleague screamed at him a third time to handover the passport. He did,” she said.
http://www.punchng.com/news/airport-harassment-my-story-ezekwesili/
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by ayukdaboss(m): 1:15am On Jul 23, 2014
From what Madam wrote up there...She doesn't know the difference between being detained and not. The only thing that was on her mind at that moment was painting the government black by tweeting "loads of rubbish" as if she's any better. Unfortunately she ended up embarrassing herself.

Shame on her cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by 88natzy(m): 1:41am On Jul 23, 2014
Please fellow Nairalanders, I am a graduate of microbiology from one of the prestigious universities here in Nigeria, I am result oriented and can work under any condition.
I would like to get informations about job alerts, advice and constructive criticisms to my mails.
Iro18emma@yahoo.com or 88Natzy@gmail.com
Also my BB pin is
75F6B2EB. Thank you!
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by inteli: 2:26am On Jul 23, 2014
Drama Queen lipsrsealed
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by PapaBrowne(m): 2:29am On Jul 23, 2014
I don't get it. If this is all that happened then I'm utterly disappointed in Ezekwesili, someone I previously held in very high esteem.

My mother travelled to the US last week. She alongside others were delayed extensively because of the precarious security situation not just in the country but across the globe today. People that had their smartphones uncharged couldn't travel with it. There was thorough checking on virtually anybody whether you mattered or not.

Security checks have increased globally. What on planet earth is wrong with a 30 mins extra check? Why has Oby gotten this cheap. I'm not happy. What appears from the narrative like a pretty routine check was shouted on the newspapers like she has just been arrested. This is pathetic!
You brought out you phone to record somebody and you expect him to smile for you?? Are you serious?
A few junior SSS officials decide to do to you what they do normally to others and you decide to create an impression that Jonathan has ordered your arrest??

Oby, this is totally unbecoming of you. Not Christianly at all. I used to respect you but today, I am utterly disappointed.

12 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by Trut(m): 4:40am On Jul 23, 2014
Madam Oby is seeking for sympathy, i thought she was arrested in the Air Port.

3 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by Mabaleosi(m): 5:09am On Jul 23, 2014
Face of a LIAR. Her expectation was her passport to be seized and that was why she could not wait to confirm properly before raising false alarm.

6 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by Noctec: 5:15am On Jul 23, 2014
Sorry Madam.
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by Nobody: 5:16am On Jul 23, 2014
This oby ezekwesili is a very big disgrace to the igbo race and womanhood!!! Thhe damn guys were just carrying out their normal checks and she went screaming when no one was chasing her!!!! Where are the APC e-warriors to defend this show of shame!!

5 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by ican2020: 5:18am On Jul 23, 2014
So, her Praise Singers have all zap, what a country and na wa for u ma
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by Omexonomy: 5:25am On Jul 23, 2014
I notice one thing about her she is looking for attention and she wants to be above the law of the land which is not possible.

1 Like

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by Brimmie(m): 5:44am On Jul 23, 2014
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by Nobody: 5:55am On Jul 23, 2014
This is same way opposition blames govt for everything.

Shame on you woman.

4 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by ican2020: 5:57am On Jul 23, 2014
Mabaleosi: Face of a LIAR. Her expectation was her passport to be seized and that was why she could not wait to confirm properly before raising false alarm.

Indeed
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by gleaf: 6:22am On Jul 23, 2014
Oby don't degrade ur sef to d level of El rufai, where you can never be taken serious again, bn petty and cheap wil cost you a lot.

3 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by obayaya(m): 6:32am On Jul 23, 2014
Oby is sinking deeper and deeper into the mud.

I used to respect this woman. Now look what she has become
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by anago18(m): 6:34am On Jul 23, 2014
obayaya: Oby is sinking deeper and deeper into the mud.

I used to respect this woman. Now look what she has become

sinker because she is not on the same page with your tin god. talk about selective amnesia and look no further than your gigantic hypocrisy.
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by obayaya(m): 6:47am On Jul 23, 2014
anago18:

sinker because she is not on the same page with your tin god. talk about selective amnesia and look no further than your gigantic hypocrisy.

Normally, I wouldn't reply you because you don't know how to argue objectively but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

Oby's passport was being checked. The check took longer than expected (26 minutes). 22 minutes into the process, she has already concluded that she was being detained and took to twitter.

Her action is a proof that she has grown petty. And in her quest to justify her twitter outburst, she claimed she was detained for 40 minutes.

When did standing/sitting close to custom/immigration desk in a public airport become detention?

She's gradually losing it.

Now you can start spewing your big grammar and insults

9 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by porka: 8:17am On Jul 23, 2014
ayukdaboss: I am really not understanding this. If, as
she said, she arrived immigration at 7:15am, then it's unlikely she was detained for 40mins when she tweeted at 7:37am. That could have been 22 minutes. Even considering at 7:41am or close to that when she finally boarded, it could have been 26 mins max, and not 40 mins as she claimed.

Irrespective of the fact that I don't like these people, even if we should crucify them we
should do it fairly. So madam, please try to get your maths right next time you want to get us invoved in your personal matters.

Please read my signature before quoting me with any 'load of trash' cheesy

It's not today that the woman is disappointing in ordinary arithmetic.

Remember the big embarrassment of EXTERNAL RESERVE and EXCESS CRUDE ACCOUNT?

She couldn't differentiate the two.

And to think that this woman is a chartered accountant and a "Dr"?

The woman is all about BIG EGO.

3 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by porka: 8:26am On Jul 23, 2014
obayaya:

Normally, I wouldn't reply you because you don't know how to argue objectively but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

Oby's passport was being checked. The check took longer than expected (26 minutes). 22 minutes into the process, she has already concluded that she was being detained and took to twitter.

Her action is a proof that she has grown petty. And in her quest to justify her twitter outburst, she claimed she was detained for 40 minutes.

When did standing/sitting close to custom/immigration desk in a public airport become detention?

She's gradually losing it.

Now you can start spewing your big grammar and insults

She lost it long ago.

She totally lost it when she encouraged an impostor to present herself as a parent of one of the "abducted" girls without any form of remorse for that kind of FRAUD.

Even when the security agencies busted the SCAM she didn't think anything was wrong with the FRAUDULENT act.

An to think that this woman was one of the founders of TRANSPARENCY INITIATIVE?

2 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 23, 2014
Kai Chineke, and APC noisemakers were busy claiming she was arrested. This woman has started to annoy me sha, Is she the first person that has been delayed before? nawa oo. Me don tire for all this opposition shitts. Too much of everything(except money) is BAD

2 Likes

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by ayukdaboss(m): 9:07am On Jul 23, 2014
porka:

It's not today that the woman is disappointing in ordinary arithmetic.

Remember the big embarrassment of EXTERNAL RESERVE and EXCESS CRUDE ACCOUNT?

She couldn't differentiate the two.

And to think that this woman is a chartered accountant and a "Dr"?

The woman is all about BIG EGO.

And a Big mouth to match grin

1 Like

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by rigarmortis: 9:54am On Jul 23, 2014
i wanted ton tell madam oby to suck my d1kc but shes just too fugly.

she should just shut da phuckup
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by IAMBREEZY: 10:39am On Jul 23, 2014
Who cares

Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by Segadem(m): 11:21am On Jul 23, 2014
PDP: Thank GOD I've been vindicated.
APC:Na tweeter cause am.
Re: Airport Harassment, My Story –ezekwesili by Trut(m): 11:42am On Jul 23, 2014
@Seen and Mods,

Please move this thread to front page.

(1) (Reply)

Governor T. A. Orji And His Contempt For Abia Judiciary / General Asks Jonathan To Sack North-east Govs / PDP Chieftain Flogged And Sentenced To Life For Raping A Pregnant Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.