Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank (17952 Views)

71% Anambra People Are Poor, Says Igbuzor / Nigeria Is Rich, But Nigerians Are Poor, EU Tells Buhari / Boko Haram Not Poor, Says CAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:48am On Jul 23, 2014
Eldavido1: Mods why is a similar thread created by me since yesterday that has reach 2 pages moved to business section while this thread created this morning left in politics sections and also moved to front page immediately! Please I need clarification seun.
You should be glad that your topic made front page my Bro
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by NaLaugh: 8:52am On Jul 23, 2014
B.S
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Yeske2(m): 8:53am On Jul 23, 2014
I've always known that the 70% Nigerians ish... living under poverty na lie, so obvious when you look around. North no dey try sha, always pulling our average down.

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by 1shortblackboy: 8:55am On Jul 23, 2014
G12: The only poor people when dey this country na the lazy ones. Anyhow anyhow, everybody dey try to make am one way or the other.

The girl roasting corn at my junction makes nothing less than 1k in the evening, my neighbour wen dey make hair for her frontage, dey kolect her akpalakpala too. Even children wen dey sell sachet water.
true true true *nodding in agreement*

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by biomedixexcel(m): 8:56am On Jul 23, 2014
Na true o
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 23, 2014
I've said it many times before , Nigerians are relatively rich.

It's glaringly obvious.

2 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by sexylogan(m): 9:03am On Jul 23, 2014
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 23, 2014
Good to hear. smiley
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by FKO1(m): 9:07am On Jul 23, 2014
IjogzK:
Everybody gets hooked up somehow, Yahoo boys are Yahooing, Ritualist are busy killing, Robbers are Robbing, Police n LASTMA keeps extorting while the new set of law enforcers "SARS" are busy scamming Fraudsters aka Yahoo boys instead of arresting them.
LMAO
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by ITbomb(m): 9:10am On Jul 23, 2014
"This masks the critical problem in Nigeria of underemployment. Most Nigerians cannot afford not to work, but a large share of the population is engaged in low productivity and low paying tasks."

When they talked about immigration crowd, I keep saying that 80% of these candidates have taken permission of leave from their work place to take the test
Nigerians are just too enterprising to stay unemployed, except few lazy ones of course and those guys from the North

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by chidekings(m): 9:10am On Jul 23, 2014
nigerians are not poor as they make us to believe......apart from the north,most nigerians are average and comfortable

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:14am On Jul 23, 2014
VocalWalls: The problem is, most Nigerians love to live in self pity, hoping to probably attract people's emotions, and then assistance.

Trust me, there are poor nigerians, struggling through the days, but there are more average Nigerians.

The fact that you cannot get all that you always want, does not mean you are poor!

I completely agree with you on the bolded.
That quite a large number of Nigerians engage in menial jobs to survive has never in my books, meant that they live way below the poverty line - a line that is still open to conjecture in terms of its definition as far as I am concerned.
Also, by the mere structure of our society, they would always be price points affordable to each type of social class than in what obtains in other "more developed - developing countries" like the BRIC nations.

I also believe that CBN's fear of inflation due to too much liquidity in the system is a bit unfounded. I doubt it would push inflation that much especially on commodity items.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Bawsse(m): 9:18am On Jul 23, 2014
heeey you people can lie ooo, when did tortoise fall and have cracked back
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 23, 2014
Ozin: This is why some of us will not be moved by any political Propaganda trying to destroy this current administration. Like him or hate him. this President is making use of the best brain in terms of the Economy at the moment. Okonjo in Finance, Adeshina in Agriculture, the Aganga guy in Trade and investment. Can you beat that?

Brother you can say that again.... those against GEJ are evil, He might not be fighting corruption as ppl wished but the guy is working, without Boko Haram, GEJ would have done wonders, those wanting him out are Oil thieves and the corrupt ppl.

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by overhypedsteve(m): 9:23am On Jul 23, 2014
MadCow1: Suspicious... angry
nigerians are not poor, na just say an average nigerian go chop over feeding, were bigman shirt, go follow im friend sit down dey complain say dem nor get money,
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by porka: 9:27am On Jul 23, 2014
The report has not been uploaded on their website.

The report can only be found in Nigerian newspapers.

It's important to point this out before we hear another story from the World Bank (WB).

Nevertheless, the following are what we already know about the Nigerian economy.

THE ROSY PICTURE

a) Majority of Nigerians are not living below $1/day.

We know because $1 is about N160. Majority of Nigerians are living far above that already.

The least "recharge card" denomination is N100.

Add food and other stuffs.

b) The booming housing sector in Nigeria tells an entirely different stories from the poverty narrative.

When you enter any city, town or village in Nigeria, look out for entirely brand new sites on the entrance and on your going out.

These are happening in spite of the near zero mortgage system.

BTW, Aliko Dangote made his over $20b on the back of that.

c) The middle class is rising.

The number of people buying cars of more than N1m value is increasing, again, in spite of near zero car loan facilities by the financial institutions.

The number of people enrolling their children in private schools both in the country and abroad is rising.

The number of people going abroad for vacations is increasing. Ask the airlines and the hotels.

d) Foreign and locally financed shopping malls are springing up every time.

From the Palms, to Ikeja Mall to Next etc.

THE NOT TOO ROSY

1) Unemployment.

The general atmosphere of unemployment affects GRADUATES more.

The white collar job seekers are hard hit.

Artisans and vocational employment are witnessing a boom however.

Tilers, carpenters, tailors, mechanics, events planners, make-up artists, musicians, actors (Nollywood) are not doing badly.

2) Electricity generation and supply to businesses and homes remain abysmal.

The recent privatisation of the sector has not improved anything.

Some places are witnessing seasonal stability, i.e. stable supply in the rainy season.

The DISCOs are not serious about deploying smart meters to their consumers.

3) Security situation is dire.

Boko Haram remains the biggest security challenge to our collective existence as a country.

The defeat of this murderous Islamists should be the biggest goal of our government at this point.

8 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 23, 2014
World Bank stop deceiving yourself, Nigerians are wiser now.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by IAMBREEZY: 9:31am On Jul 23, 2014
Really?
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by porka: 9:32am On Jul 23, 2014
saints2: Its either World Bank is misinformed or NBS is citing rubbish, take a walk to Oshodi, Ijora, Idumota, Obalende all in Lagos or come to Ipata in Ilorin, Ganmo and its environs you won't know when you will shed tears, Nigerians are suffering, we need more, all these statistics are propaganda

The places you cited are markets.

When has doing business in the market suddenly turned to suffering?

You have to explain yourself better.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by MadCow1: 9:33am On Jul 23, 2014
overhypedsteve: nigerians are not poor, na just say an average nigerian go chop over feeding, were bigman shirt, go follow im friend sit down dey complain say dem nor get money,

I agree..

Especially for Lagos. Na lagos wey I see person wey ehn Car fine pass ehn house. grin

2 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 23, 2014
eluquenson: Let's leave statistics cos sometimes its not true.
The truth of the story is millions of Nigerians are extremely poor people.
You lie sire.
There is no where in Nigeria where the people are so poor they don't have cloaks over their body and that they can't eat twice a day.

The bane is just the difference between the extremely wealthy and those living from hand to mouth- its just too much, and that's why we usually feel we're poor. Nigeria is far from being poor.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by kechywillz(m): 9:40am On Jul 23, 2014
pls try cut long stories short,this too long to read
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Truckpusher(m): 9:44am On Jul 23, 2014
VocalWalls: The problem is, most Nigerians love to live in self pity, hoping to probably attract people's emotions, and then assistance.

Trust me, there are poor nigerians, struggling through the days, but there are more average Nigerians.

The fact that you cannot get all that you always want, does not mean you are poor!
No mind them.
Poverty is a thing of the mind,and most Nigerians do not plan and they so much believe in show off.Tell me one reason why a young man that barely makes cool #100,000 in a month be planning a wedding worth #3,000,000.00 by borrowing from left and right and even planning their wedding based on the fact that they have a rich friend or they roll with one ....Let them remain there and be shouting poverty up and down.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by IGBOSON1: 9:44am On Jul 23, 2014
nerodenero: The reason I get so angry when I see my tribesmen align with them and making them feel too important.The north has been the reason of our underdevelopment since 1960.

^^^I like to think i'm a reasonable kinda guy......always ready to give someone the benefit of the doubt! But i've just about lost my patience with northern peeps......i don't know what the problem is with them!

At least 70% of achievements in this country is attributable to the southern part (mainly Igbo and Yoruba......yeah, i said it!), yet Alaigbo as a region gets the least allocation! We put in more than we get out from this country!
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by myspnigeria: 9:47am On Jul 23, 2014
Big fat lie
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 23, 2014
In brevity of words, Nigerians are farrr from being poor.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by PHfinest(m): 9:51am On Jul 23, 2014
GEJ' fault once more
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Project400: 9:52am On Jul 23, 2014
Interesting update!
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by 99100(m): 9:55am On Jul 23, 2014
BrAkingNews: world bank throwing garbages since 1900. So tell me, what do they know about Nigeria? As for me, about 2/3 Nigerians are poor.

IF NOT FOR MUSIC!!!
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Timaya will be hawking
plantain in
traffic...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Mode9 will be a bouncer
in parties...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Wizkid will still be in
SS3...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Iyanya will be a weight
lifter...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, don Jazzy will be a drug
dealer...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, ice prince and MI will still
be in jos facing
Boko haram
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, P-square will be dancing
break dance in
weddings..
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Davido will still be
writting Waec...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Olamide will be picking
pocket...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Muna will remain in
modeling...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Lagbaja will be a native
doctor...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Tiwa savage will be
ash*...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Ty Bello will be a
photographer...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, wande coal will be
advertising Dudu Osun
Seriously
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, terry G will b a bus
conductor...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, 9ice will be a yoruba
teacher
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Steel would have been a
photographer.
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Danfo Drivers would have
been a bus
driver,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Olu maintain would have
been working in
a cyber cafe,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Nigga raw would have
bin selling Cd
plates at Alaba market,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Oritse femi would have
been selling
phones at computer village,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, D'banj would have gone
for talent hunt
alone nd played his hopeless mouth organ,
If not 4 music..phyno wud av bin an igbo
teacher
If not for music,fella 4 be native doctor or
igbo seller
Lmao
PLEASE ADD UR OWN!!!
Don't spoil the fun.

If not for football Rooney would have been what?
If not for football Brazilian Ronaldinho would have been what?

If not for politics Obama would have been what?

Was any one this afformetioned born with a silver spoon?

And hey who told you Fela would have been an Igbo seller if not for music ? Haven't you heard of the name Funmilayo Ransome Kuti ?

@op,I can see that you love bad news hence your malaise to this news.

#Fresh Air in the economy
#GEJ till 2019

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by VocalWalls: 9:58am On Jul 23, 2014
vivaciousvivi:

I completely agree with you on the bolded.
That quite a large number of Nigerians engage in menial jobs to survive has never in my books, meant that they live way below the poverty line - a line that is still open to conjecture in terms of its definition as far as I am concerned.
Also, by the mere structure of our society, they would always be price points affordable to each type of social class than in what obtains in other "more developed - developing countries" like the BRIC nations.

I also believe that CBN's fear of inflation due to too much liquidity in the system is a bit unfounded. I doubt it would push inflation that much especially on commodity items.

Outstanding!

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by VocalWalls: 9:59am On Jul 23, 2014
Truckpusher: No mind them.
Poverty is a thing of the mind,and most Nigerians do not plan and they so much believe in show off.Tell me one reason why a young man that barely makes cool #100,000 in a month be planning a wedding worth #3,000,000.00 by borrowing from left and right and even planning their wedding based on the fact that they have a rich friend or they roll with one ....Let them remain there and be shouting poverty up and down.

Undiluted truth!
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by PHfinest(m): 10:01am On Jul 23, 2014
Noctec: As in 1/3? You mean 100 million people are comfortable?

Some people earn more than the president of Ghana and yet they need more money to be "comfortable".
Poverty is mearsured by a more specific unit.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fashola Gives Ultimatum To Berger-Kara Bridge Mechanics / Victor Nnam Resigns As Enugu Commissioner For Lands Over Undue Interference / Wike Takes 2023 Consultation To Bayelsa, Warns Against Saboteurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.