Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,950 members, 7,803,134 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

Where Did Morality Come From? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Did Morality Come From? (1958 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / The Evil Spirit That Corrupted Lucifer (satan's) Mind; Where Did It Come From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:24pm On Apr 29, 2016
ifenes:

Morals evolve due to experience. After the World War 2, the UNITED NATIONS and other similar agencies were created to make sure such an uncontrolled war will no happen again. Back in the days it was Okay to marry a 13 year old girl but now its all changed and enforced. To preserve our human species,morality need to evolve. You and I learn everyday from experiences.Our old ways become unacceptable and so morality evolves.

So you believe children brainwashed with the evolution theory don't murder anymore, Folks in the Islamic world no longer marry 13 years olds anymore now that they have evolved? undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by ValentineMary(m): 2:46pm On Apr 29, 2016
Morality springs from human desire to live in peace and harmony with each other. Also morality can be seen in other organisms in varying degrees.

When I was younger and my mum had a small set of chicken that she took care of in our compound. During a certain period, 2 hen gave hatched their eggs and after sometime, one of the hen died. But suprisenly, the other hen that was alive took care of d dead hen's chicks. I was really impressed when I saw this. Futher observation of other animals has made me know that they also have their own cultural pratices (though still primitive).

There are other stories I could tell u of other animals to show u that morality is not a human or God thing. It is from d human consciousness which stems fort from d brain.

And bro it is ridiculous to believe that d earth is 6,000 years old in thia time and age. If u do, how would u explain some rocks which are about 3 billion years old
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by ValentineMary(m): 2:56pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

So you believe children brainwashed with the evolution theory don't murder anymore, Folks in the Islamic world no longer marry 13 years olds anymore now that they have evolved? undecided
Science does not brainwash people into believing things. Rather religion does. Science present us with theories made from observation, religion present us with "fact" gotten from some old books that think day and night came before d sun. Nobody forces anyone to believe evolution in fact when I was in secondary sch, my biology teacher did not believe evolution and hardly taught it. When it comes to d qus of being brainwashed, religion is to blame.

And there is something we have to understand here, not everyone would accept civilization as it comes it does not mean others would not accept it thus failing to evolve. If some muslim folks want to continue in their babaric ways, how those that affects others evolution Afterall only d fittest breed would survive.
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:59pm On Apr 29, 2016
ValentineMary:

Morality springs from human desire to live in peace and harmony with each other. Also morality can be seen in other organisms in varying degrees.

So what makes the morality of folks in the Islamic world superior or inferior to those living in the West?

ValentineMary:

When I was younger and my mum had a small set of chicken that she took care of in our compound. During a certain period, 2 hen gave hatched their eggs and after sometime, one of the hen died. But suprisenly, the other hen that was alive took care of d dead hen's chicks. I was really impressed when I saw this. Futher observation of other animals has made me know that they also have their own cultural pratices (though still primitive).

There are other stories I could tell u of other animals to show u that morality is not a human or God thing. It is from d human consciousness which stems fort from d brain.

Animals act on instinct. When a lion is hungry do you think it will think of the morality of killing an antelope before it attacks?

ValentineMary:

And bro it is ridiculous to believe that d earth is 6,000 years old in thia time and age. If u do, how would u explain some rocks which are about 3 billion years old

It depends on what you believe, science or evolution theory. Science does not prove that the earth is 4.5 billion years old it is the believe in evolution and the big bang that teach that. If that is what you believe where did those rocks emanate from?
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by ValentineMary(m): 3:09pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

So what makes the morality of folks in the Islamic world superior or inferior to those living in the West?

Animals act on instinct. When a lion is hungry do you think it will think of the morality of killing an antelope before it attacks?

It depends on what you believe, science or evolution theory. Science does not prove that the earth is 4.5 billion years old it is the believe in evolution and the big bang that teach that. If that is what you believe where did those rocks emanate from?

OMG!!! are u for real
If morality springs from humans need to live in peace with one another, does that not tell u that it would be relative to culture and religion?

Because a lion eats another specie of animal while hungry then it acts on instincts? have u heard of d hormone ghrelin that induces hunger? Animals respond in different ways to hunger eg how would u react when u see a plate of rice after fasting for 5 days? does that mean u are acting on instincts or gherlin level?

I don't need u to BELIEVE in science. Proper science classes would solve d problem. Ever heard of carbon dating technique? if no, drop ur device now and get a good science material.
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:11pm On Apr 29, 2016
ValentineMary:

Science does not brainwash people into believing things. Rather religion does. Science present us with theories made from observation, religion present us with "fact" gotten from some old books that think day and night came before d sun. Nobody forces anyone to believe evolution in fact when I was in secondary sch, my biology teacher did not believe evolution and hardly taught it. When it comes to d qus of being brainwashed, religion is to blame.

It is true that religion brainwashes people into believe things and evolution is a religion that has brainwashed you into believing that it is scientific. If you say evolution is science who then observed the 'fact' that the earth came into existence 4.5 billion years ago? Who then brainwashed you? Darwinian books? undecided

ValentineMary:

And there is something we have to understand here, not everyone would accept civilization as it comes it does not mean others would not accept it thus failing to evolve. If some muslim folks want to continue in their babaric ways, how those that affects others evolution Afterall only d fittest breed would survive.

That is what the religion of evolution wants you to believe, that you are just animals fighting for the survival of the fittest. Where is the morality in that?
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by ValentineMary(m): 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

It is true that religion brainwashes people into believe things and evolution is a religion that has brainwashed you into believing that it is scientific. If you say evolution is science who then observed the 'fact' that the earth came into existence 4.5 billion years ago? Who then brainwashed you? Darwinian books? undecided

That is what the religion of evolution wants you to believe, that you are just animals fighting for the survival of the fittest. Where is the morality in that?
I really think I need to open a thread on evolution. Actually u are not d first because am encountering that thinks that evolution is based on faith.

Earlier, I said theories are made from observation and we deduced that humans evolved over time. This deduction is based on fossils, DNA seq, amino acid seq, mitochondrial DNA, etc.

Darwinian evolution is d way we got here but should not be how we continue to live. Over billions of years, we have evolved to this state, also our "instincts" for survival should evolve.
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2016
ValentineMary:

OMG!!! are u for real
If morality springs from humans need to live in peace with one another, does that not tell u that it would be relative to culture and religion?

You are begging the question here, who told you that 'morality springs from humans need to live in peace with one another'? Morality has to be universal for it to be objective not the subjective moral codes that is subject to culture and religion. What is wrong is wrong there should be no conditions attached to it.

ValentineMary:

Because a lion eats another specie of animal while hungry then it acts on instincts? have u heard of d hormone ghrelin that induces hunger? Animals respond in different ways to hunger eg how would u react when u see a plate of rice after fasting for 5 days? does that mean u are acting on instincts or gherlin level?

When you are hungry after fasting would you go and steal a plate of rice? Does that justify your stealing?

ValentineMary:

I don't need u to BELIEVE in science. Proper science classes would solve d problem. Ever heard of carbon dating technique? if no, drop ur device now and get a good science material.

What about carbon dating? Does carbon dating prove the earth to be 4.5 billion years old? undecided
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by ifenes(m): 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Don't you believe people evolve? Islam and Christianity are both Time Machines that take you back to the 7th century

1 Like

Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by ValentineMary(m): 3:31pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

You are begging the question here, who told you that 'morality springs from humans need to live in peace with one another'? Morality has to be universal for it to be objective not the subjective moral codes that is subject to culture and religion. What is wrong is wrong there should be no conditions attached to it.

When you are hungry after fasting would you go and steal a plate of rice? Does that justify your stealing?

What about carbon dating? Does carbon dating prove the earth to be 4.5 billion years old? undecided
As I said earlier, morality is relative to culture and religion. for example, if a guy is seen kissing a guy in d US, it is morally okay as far as they are in love but in Nigeria, it is seen as a crime and u could go to jail for that.

Hunger does not justify stealing. And I never said it did. What am concerned with here is d reaction and not d way d food came. Of course a lion can't kill a fellow lion for meat. Do they need instincts or a brain to know that?

And yes carbon dating proves that d earth is about 4.6 billion years old.
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:34pm On Apr 29, 2016
ValentineMary:

I really think I need to open a thread on evolution. Actually u are not d first because am encountering that thinks that evolution is based on faith.

Make my day! cheesy

ValentineMary:

Earlier, I said theories are made from observation and we deduced that humans evolved over time. This deduction is based on fossils, DNA seq, amino acid seq, mitochondrial DNA, etc.

You are talking about historical science not observational science because none of you where there to observe how the fossils, rocks or the earth were formed. All your deductions are based on conjectures and assumptions. Let me ask you a basic question. Since information is nonmaterial and all observed cases always requires an intelligent sender, how did all the information contained in DNA originate?

ValentineMary:

Darwinian evolution is d way we got here but should not be how we continue to live. Over billions of years, we have evolved to this state, also our "instincts" for survival should evolve.

Tell us how life originated and let's begin from there. cool
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:44pm On Apr 29, 2016
ValentineMary:

As I said earlier, morality is relative to culture and religion. for example, if a guy is seen kissing a guy in d US, it is morally okay as far as they are in love but in Nigeria, it is seen as a crime and u could go to jail for that.

When I talk of morality I do not mean subjective morality I mean the universal one that applies to all human beings. That is, objective morality.

ValentineMary:

Hunger does not justify stealing. And I never said it did. What am concerned with here is d reaction and not d way d food came. Of course a lion can't kill a fellow lion for meat. Do they need instincts or a brain to know that?

Yes even though humans have the hunger pangs or animal instinct as you will like to call it we still have the moral obligation not to steal. The question of the OP is where does this moral obligation come from?

ValentineMary:

And yes carbon dating proves that d earth is about 4.6 billion years old.

If carbon dating can only be reliable for determining the age of fossils that is up to 50,000 years how then will it be used in dating rocks and the age of the earth that is deduced to be 4.5 billion years old? undecided
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by ValentineMary(m): 3:48pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Make my day! cheesy

You are talking about historical science not observational science because none of you where there to observe how the fossils, rocks or the earth were formed. All your deductions are based on conjectures and assumptions. Let me ask you a basic question. Since information is nonmaterial and all observed cases always requires an intelligent sender, how did all the information contained in DNA originate?

Tell us how life originated and let's begin from there. cool
What d hell are u even saying Do u realise that most of ur 2nd paragraph makes no sense? Of course we did not see d fossilization of d bones probably because humans were not existing then but now we are making deductions based on what we can observe. What part of this statement is so hard to understand

For d DNA, studies has shown that if d DNA was spontaneously formed, it would constantly rearrange and be unstable. I guess that explains why viral DNA behave in that manner. Though we might not know exactly how the DNA began to code proteins, we should not quickly fill it up with d God of d gaps theory. The thing here is that our present scientific knowledge does not know d same way that 3,000 years ago, it was a serious debate and clearly uncertain what was d center of our universe. Give room to research and not blind faith to lead u.
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:52pm On Apr 29, 2016
ValentineMary:

What d hell are u even saying Do u realise that most of ur 2nd paragraph makes no sense? Of course we did not see d fossilization of d bones probably because humans were not existing then but now we are making deductions based on what we can observe. What part of this statement is so hard to understand

For d DNA, studies has shown that if d DNA was spontaneously formed, it would constantly rearrange and be unstable. I guess that explains why viral DNA behave in that manner. Though we might not know exactly how the DNA began to code proteins, we should not quickly fill it up with d God of d gaps theory. The thing here is that our present scientific knowledge does not know d same way that 3,000 years ago, it was a serious debate and clearly uncertain what was d center of our universe. Give room to research and not blind faith to lead u.

You will save yourself of some misery if you just say 'I don't know'. cool
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by ValentineMary(m): 3:55pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

When I talk of morality I do not mean subjective morality I mean the universal one that applies to all human beings. That is, objective morality.

Now u can see where one religion can make one's morality not aligned with d conventional one u already knew. I thought I said that earlier already. Also religious indoctrination can alter one's moral views

OLAADEGBU:

Yes even though humans have the hunger pangs or animal instinct as you will like to call it we still have the moral obligation not to steal. The question of the OP is where does this moral obligation come from? [/qoute]

I thought we were through with this already

[quote author=OLAADEGBU post=45155804]

If carbon dating can only be reliable for determining the age of fossils that is up to 50,000 years how then will it be used in dating rocks and the age of the earth that is deduced to be 4.5 billion years old?

U need to study chemistry undecided
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by ValentineMary(m): 3:57pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

You will save yourself of some misery if you just say 'I don't know'. cool
Have a nice day. Am done here.
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:09pm On Apr 29, 2016
ValentineMary:

Now u can see where one religion can make one's morality not aligned with d conventional one u already knew. I thought I said that earlier already. Also religious indoctrination can alter one's moral views

Very true, the religion of evolution for instance. cool

ValentineMary:

U need to study chemistry undecided

If you had paid attention in class you would have known that there are 2 main applications for radiocarbon dating. One for dating fossils and the other for dating rocks and the age of the earth. cool
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:20pm On Apr 29, 2016
ValentineMary:

Have a nice day. Am done here.

Parting shot. wink

How to say "I don't know," and still sound intelligent:

1. What is the purpose of man's existence?

"We don't know at the moment, but science will find out one day".

2. What was in the beginning?

3. What happens after death?

4. Why is there male and female in 1.4 million different kinds of animals, fish, birds, and insects?

5. Why does every animal (except for a few snails) bring forth after its own kind?

Note how Scriptures speaks to the blind ignorance of the ungodly, and how they have given themselves to a dulled conscience and sexual uncleanness:

"Their moral understanding is darkened and their reasoning is beclouded. [They are] alienated (estranged, self-banished) from the life of God [with no share in it; this is] because of the ignorance (the want of knowledge and perception, the wilful blindness) that is deep-seated in them, due to their hardness of heart [to the insensitiveness of their moral nature]. In their spiritual apathy they have become callous and past feeling and reckless and have abandoned themselves [a prey] to unbridled sensuality, eager and greedy to indulge in every form of impurity [that their depraved desires may suggest and demand]" (Ephesians 4:18-19, Amplified Bible).

1 Share

Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by promise101: 7:05pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Parting shot. wink

4. Why is there male and female in 1.4 million different kinds of animals, fish, birds, and insects?

5. Why does every animal (except for a few snails) bring forth after its own kind?

Note how Scriptures speaks to the blind ignorance of the ungodly, and how they have given themselves to a dulled conscience and sexual uncleanness:

"Their moral understanding is darkened and their reasoning is beclouded. [They are] alienated (estranged, self-banished) from the life of God [with no share in it; this is] because of the ignorance (the want of knowledge and perception, the wilful blindness) that is deep-seated in them, due to their hardness of heart [to the insensitiveness of their moral nature]. In their spiritual apathy they have become callous and past feeling and reckless and have abandoned themselves [a prey] to unbridled sensuality, eager and greedy to indulge in every form of impurity [that their depraved desires may suggest and demand]" (Ephesians 4:18-19, Amplified Bible).
You just messed these people up!!!!

Deal with them! Lol
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by Oluwaseytiano(m): 8:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Parting shot. wink

I believe the sense of morality was instilled in humans by the Great Zeus, King of all Gods.
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by ValentineMary(m): 8:51pm On Apr 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Parting shot. wink

I don't know if u can't read or u just decided not to. Anyways what do u expect from a grown adult who thinks polar bears came to board Noah's ship in d middle east

I said earlir that for d fact that science does not have all d ans presently is not evidence for a man in d sky. There have been times we were skeptic of so many things. Let us imagine we had concluded that God holds d earth in it's place, and we all went to rest, Einstein and Newton would not have discovered the equations for gravity and we might not have gone to space ever simply because we have faith in a deity.

From what u wrote above, u would think u have made a point. Maybe to ur church members and pastor u have but dude u sounded ridiculous. Some good science materials can be very helpful. And for d last time have a nice day
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:42pm On Apr 30, 2016
promise101:

You just messed these people up!!!!

Deal with them! Lol

They usually run with their tails tucked under their hind legs. I wonder what they are doing in the kitchen when they can't stand the heat. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:52pm On May 03, 2016
ifenes:

Don't you believe people evolve? Islam and Christianity are both Time Machines that take you back to the 7th century

Is that your definition of evolution? This is how this theory has committed intellectual genocide in this generation.
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:11pm On May 12, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:

I believe the sense of morality was instilled in humans by the Great Zeus, King of all Gods.

Do you believe he exists?

Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:21pm On May 12, 2016
ValentineMary:

I don't know if u can't read or u just decided not to. Anyways what do u expect from a grown adult who thinks polar bears came to board Noah's ship in d middle east

The theory of evolution is fairytale for grown adults. cheesy

ValentineMary:

I said earlir that for d fact that science does not have all d ans presently is not evidence for a man in d sky. There have been times we were skeptic of so many things. Let us imagine we had concluded that God holds d earth in it's place, and we all went to rest, Einstein and Newton would not have discovered the equations for gravity and we might not have gone to space ever simply because we have faith in a deity.

Einstein and Newton discovered what they discovered because as they said were "thinking God's thoughts after Him". Maybe you can borrow a leaf from them to do good science.

ValentineMary:

From what u wrote above, u would think u have made a point. Maybe to ur church members and pastor u have but dude u sounded ridiculous. Some good science materials can be very helpful. And for d last time have a nice day

Wait a minute, I thought you said you were done here why did you make a come back? Good science does not teach evolution because it is not observatory. You cannot experiment on historical origins because you were not there. You have to believe it which qualifies it as a religion.
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by Oluwaseytiano(m): 6:51am On May 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Do you believe he exists?
yeah.All hail Zeus
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:28pm On May 18, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:

yeah.All hail Zeus

But you don't hate zeus, do you? undecided
Re: Where Did Morality Come From? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:06am On Jun 13, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:

yeah.All hail Zeus

It is obvious that you are running away from being held morally accountable to your Creator.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lets See Who Can Answer This Biblical Question About Jesus Death. / Evidence (or Lack Thereof) For Jesus Christ / WHY You Should Never Listen To An Atheist Who Has Religious Parent Or Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.