Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,346 members, 7,780,927 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:39 AM

The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer (2764 Views)

Nigerians To Represent Africa At The Hacker Olympics / How Much Do You Earn As A Developer Per Month? / Difference Between A Programmer And A Web Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by naijatechworld: 3:39pm On Jul 23, 2014
There is often spirited discussion and debate about the differences between Programmers, Hackers, and Developers. Most descriptions I’ve seen are flawed in at least one serious way, so I provide below my preferred—and I hope more accurate and elegant—definitions:

A Programmer is someone who can solve problems by by manipulating computer code. They can have a wide range of skill levels—from just being “ok” with basic scripting to being an absolute sorcerer with any language.

A Hacker is someone who makes things. In this context, it’s someone who makes things by programming computers. This is the original, and purest definition of the term, i.e., that you have an idea and you “hack” something together to make it work. It also applies to people who modify things to significantly change their functionality, but less so.

A Developer is a formally trained programmer. They don’t just solve problems or create things, but do so in accordance with a set of design and implementation principles. These include things like performance, maintainability, scale, robustness, and (ideally) security.

Link ~> http://danielmiessler.com/study/programmer_hacker_developer/

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by dhtmlextreme(m): 8:13pm On Jul 23, 2014
So all those boys that do wapka sites are what? and yes, the boys that do the free browsing cheats?

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by asalimpo(m): 10:07pm On Jul 23, 2014
Wapka boys are wannabees.
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by jerryboiii(m): 9:12am On Jul 24, 2014
asalimpo: Wapka boys are wannabees.
for ur mind
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by zicjoe(m): 9:54am On Jul 24, 2014
asalimpo: Wapka boys are wannabees.
lol. Wannabe!! Really?
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by dhtmlextreme(m): 3:54pm On Jul 24, 2014
zicjoe: lol. Wannabe!! Really?
I have been looking for a way to classify them for a long time, because they can never pass off as web programmers or web developers as a matter of fact.
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by zicjoe(m): 4:41pm On Jul 24, 2014
Yea they cant b call web programmers. So u wanna go with d "wannabe" description?
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by dhtmlextreme(m): 5:23pm On Jul 24, 2014
zicjoe: Yea they cant b call web programmers. So u wanna go with d "wannabe" description?
Until a better classification is discovered, yes. . . .
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by Ajibel(m): 6:14pm On Jul 24, 2014
Wapkabees

I have many as friends on FB & their status updates is really annoying! uglifying my newsfeed
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by Djtm(m): 11:15pm On Jul 24, 2014
[quote author=]
Until a better classification is discovered, yes. . . .[/quote]
They are wapmasters or wap administrators.
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by dhtmlextreme(m): 11:23pm On Jul 24, 2014
Djtm:
They are wapmasters or wap administrators.
Sounds like something right out of a science fiction movie. Hey wapmaster, take this frigging spaceship to WAP factor 9, and move on to the epsilon galaxy. . .yeah, that sorta thing.
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by Christian529: 8:37am On Jul 25, 2014
the official definition for them from the hackers community is CRACKERS......
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by dhtmlextreme(m): 8:52am On Jul 25, 2014
Christian529: the official definition for them from the hackers community is CRACKERS......
C'est terrible, wapka boys don suffer o.
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by henryobinna(m): 2:38pm On Jul 26, 2014
[quote author=]So all those boys that do wapka sites are what? and yes, the boys that do the free browsing cheats?[/quote]hahaha oga so you ma hate this wapka boys. their names and every thing tire me, 'waplord', 'hack-king' 'wapking' etc. all these nomenclatures ontop javascript(javascript self don suffer) n copied stuffs. them too funny that's why I can't take any of them serious.
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by ClintonNzedimma(m): 9:13am On Jul 30, 2014
Well, you guys are talking to one of the greatest wapka users in the world although i agree with ....d things i can do with wapka will suprise u.... May it be bulk sms or another nairaland, ppc advertsing network or a small youtube.
My friends and i created an algorithm on wapka that alows us use html and css as programming languages and mark up languages at the same time.We named it DWONGO

Well the only reason why most webmasters underrate wapka is because of no php and html 5.
Please stop underrating wapka guys as long as they can code html,css,javascript and use jquery,they arent wannabes because
THE JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH ONE STEP.
Ask Seun,if he was a teenager and he was given wapka,he would have been thankful.He would have used wapka to create something almost as phenomenal nairaland before leaving wapka to bring new ideas that wapka limited you not to have.
The only reason most teenager use wapka today is because they dont have the money to buy hosting plans and domains.
A friend of mine used wapka and got alot of traffic, he was able to make $600 from admentation after afew months then used that money to buy a hosting plan and for some internet investment....today he has his own hosting business too....Thats d idea

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by henryobinna(m): 10:59pm On Jul 31, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:
I'll like to talk with you, how to do we contact
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:21pm On Jul 31, 2014
henryobinna: I'll like to talk with you, how to do we contact
whatsapp 08093801333
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by henryobinna(m): 7:50am On Aug 01, 2014
ClintonNzedimma: whatsapp 08093801333
ok thanks, I'll add you right away
Re: The Difference Between A Programmer, A Hacker, And A Developer by spinky70: 12:51am On Aug 02, 2014
any hacker or someone who can break into a facebook or hotmail account? i am based in canada and i need someone to help me hack a facebook account or hotmail account as soon as possible, get back to me at felijah6@gmail.com, and we will discuss full detail, secondly only genuis and serious people only. thanks guys.
anyone u guys call urself just get back to me.

(1) (Reply)

Hub For Programmers In Abuja / The Best Java Programming Textbooks / HNG 8.0!!! Lets Connect√√√

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.