Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,485 members, 7,781,458 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:45 PM

Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work (23345 Views)

help someone to get job where you work and where you have connection / Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! / Simple Job Where You Will Earn $50 Upon Approval. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by alienware(m): 6:33pm On Jul 23, 2014
Most MD's/CEO'S are all powerful, magically competent and can by pass chains of command when they want to meddle. Period !
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Jovie: 6:34pm On Jul 23, 2014
nenergy:
5. ‘See finish’: There is something about humans that makes us protective and secretive of our source of income (o fe mo bi mo shen pawo). So your uncle will rather submit your CV everywhere else except his workplace so that you will not “see him finish”. tongue
The uncle should cool down oh!!! If thats his only reason hmmm....

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by rtmajayi: 6:36pm On Jul 23, 2014
I agree with the OP, but my main take is that no matter what, that relative should at least lobby on his/her behalf, at all at all na him bad, which I understand the difficulties it entails, but at all show some concern that you are willing to help, if He/She is your son or daughter, wont you help or break protocols?
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by enomakos(m): 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
ok i hear
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by joedejana(m): 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2014
priscaoge: When my own thread go hit FP
When terry g sings soul music

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by apolonius(m): 6:44pm On Jul 23, 2014
You forgot the most important: they are determined not to see you become any form of success. They consider your coming on board a threat to their place and future there.

This is more true about us Africans than all your reasons.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by ceejayluv(m): 6:45pm On Jul 23, 2014
rtmajayi: I agree with the OP, but my main take is that no matter what, that relative should at least lobby on his/her behalf, at all at all na him bad, which I understand the difficulties it entails, but at all show some concern that you are willing to help, if He/She is your son or daughter, wont you help or break protocols?

Lobbying doesn't guarantee employment. You don't expect your senior relative to grovel and appease some asshole on your behalf. Providing info on recruitment opportunities in a firm can be helpful enough.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by rtmajayi: 6:52pm On Jul 23, 2014
ceejayluv:
Lobbying doesn't guarantee employment. You don't expect your senior relative to grovel and appease some asshole on your behalf. Providing info on recruitment opportunities in a firm can be helpful enough.

You are right!!! But what I meant is that relatives working there ought to have an upper edge above others, take for example you work in a university and your child is seeking an admission into the university you work, even though you work as a cleaner, won't you lobby your way to make sure your child gets admitted by meeting some lecturers you know that can help and assist in the admission process, if it can work in this instance, why can't it work in vacancies issues? That is my take, I agree with what you raise above anyway.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by revelationuche: 6:55pm On Jul 23, 2014

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by bennyzer(m): 6:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
nenergy: We all have relatives working in big establishments both government and private and as a job seeker you might be amazed shocked and even agitated angry that your aunt or uncle working in that MNC isn’t helping you get a job in his/her firm. My job search lasted 9 months and in that time I expected my aunt (who works in the HR Department at Chevron Nigeria) to help me get a job there, but no show. It baffled me that I was connected, but cannot download. grin

Anyways, I got a job and being employed has exposed me to quite a number of reasons why your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work. Ceteris Paribus, they are;

1. No entry level vacancy: Let’s face it; there aren’t too many entry level positions available. Companies mostly want experienced hires- someone who knows the job well. So that your relative works there doesn’t mean he/she will recommend you without the requisite experience.

2. Strict recruitment procedures: Some companies have very strict recruitment procedures. Some are so strict even if you’re the M.Ds daughter you won’t scale through unless by merit. For example, the Daughter of the GMD of NNPC who failed the 2012 recruitment tests. So believe me, that your uncle can only refer you to the recruitment portal and nothing more. (Ceteris paribus o!)

3. Outsourcing: Most companies now outsource HR functions to 3rd party consultants. E.g Dragnet etc. Ok, so vacancy opens at your uncle’s workplace, but the recruitment process is handled by Dragnet. The best he can do is to give the web link and ensure that you’re invited for aptitude test. He can’t rig your test score for you. (Ceteris paribus o!)

4. Company policy: Most companies don’t employ people related by blood. So, that your uncle works there disqualifies you automatically. I heard of how a panel member at a job interview announced his relationship to a candidate and consequently excused himself. The candidate was his nephew.

5. ‘See finish’: There is something about humans that makes us protective and secretive of our source of income (o fe mo bi mo shen pawo). So your uncle will rather submit your CV everywhere else except his workplace so that you will not “see him finish”. tongue

There you have it; reasons your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work.

Source:
The Job Seekers Creed - more than just a book.
http://www.facebook.com/TheJobseekersCreed
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by snadguy007(m): 7:01pm On Jul 23, 2014
All is well, even in the well

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by snadguy007(m): 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2014

*Singing* If you ask meeeee, na who i go ask ??
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by jackdaniels(m): 7:05pm On Jul 23, 2014
U re vry vry correct oh.. grin
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by adexsimply(m): 7:06pm On Jul 23, 2014
I concur with number 5
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by smudge2079(m): 7:10pm On Jul 23, 2014
@Op so on track. Except ur papa na GEJ, at times it isn't always dat easy to help.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by specialguest(f): 7:17pm On Jul 23, 2014
apolonius: You forgot the most important: they are determined not to see you become any form of success. They consider your coming on board a threat to their place and future there.

This is more true about us Africans than all your reasons.

God bless you. Especially if that "aunt or uncle" got in from a low cadre and grew through the ranks over the years. They feel threatened when you come along with your fancy degree at 20-something years knowing you are young with more potentials.

Anyway my advice to job seekers is to keep applying regardless of whether you know "Aunty Director, Uncle MD" or not! Some of us got employed that way simply on MERIT with no connections whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by macpetrus(m): 7:22pm On Jul 23, 2014
No wonder... My uncle dey post Me for the past 4 month on Federal Government Job... God Bless the Op...

Uncle... U are on a Long Thin....
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Kossyne(m): 7:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
About the NNPC GMD's daughter, did you hear anything about her after. Maybe she's probably working with NNPC now. That she failed the job test doesn't mean she won't be hired.

The other points you raised are quite sensible though.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by wickyyolo: 7:28pm On Jul 23, 2014
easyflow: Young man! you are definitely not from Nigeria undecided
He is definitely not a Nigerian
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Cecediva(f): 7:32pm On Jul 23, 2014
Lol...Enter fasting and prayer cheesy grin
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by apolonius(m): 7:35pm On Jul 23, 2014
specialguest:

God bless you. Especially if that "aunt or uncle" got in from a low cadre and grew through the ranks over the years. They feel threatened when you come along with your fancy degree at 20-something years knowing you are young with more potentials.

Anyway my advice to job seekers is to keep applying regardless of whether you know "Aunty Director, Uncle MD" or not! Some of us got employed that way simply on MERIT with no connections whatsoever.

Thanks. And for giving hope with your story,thanks.

People believe that the standards they set in suffering,delayed marriage,delayed child birth,delayed postgraduate degrees and others should be followed by others. This is the bane of love and progress in our society.

I once jokingly sent a mail to a close family member who is an executive director with a foremost assurance arm of a bank on working with them briefly before I come back to the UK for my PhD. He ignored it until I resent another reminding him. He apologized and said nothing dey for now. How does a mail on opportunities that may arise within a year get that?

I smiled and listed him out of my life. Let all keep faith in God and keep the efforts for all we really desire or need going. It turns out well,always.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by tpraiz(m): 7:35pm On Jul 23, 2014
We must survive for diz country..........**
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by BCJAY(f): 7:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
There is always man know man in Nigeria o. My kid brother only took a letter from a retired justice he use to help wash clothes and clean up house at the man's beak. And lo the young man now works with an oil company in porthacourt
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Icon4s(m): 7:40pm On Jul 23, 2014
Syenite:

The truth is people who probably didn't do well in school are using this "no connection no job" lies to console themselves and make u feel like all ur study efforts were in vain

Oh! u jst hit d nail on d head.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by topdee(m): 7:43pm On Jul 23, 2014
nenergy: We all have relatives working in big establishments both government and private and as a job seeker you might be amazed shocked and even agitated angry that your aunt or uncle working in that MNC isn’t helping you get a job in his/her firm. My job search lasted 9 months and in that time I expected my aunt (who works in the HR Department at Chevron Nigeria) to help me get a job there, but no show. It baffled me that I was connected, but cannot download. grin

Anyways, I got a job and being employed has exposed me to quite a number of reasons why your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work. Ceteris Paribus, they are;

1. No entry level vacancy: Let’s face it; there aren’t too many entry level positions available. Companies mostly want experienced hires- someone who knows the job well. So that your relative works there doesn’t mean he/she will recommend you without the requisite experience.

2. Strict recruitment procedures: Some companies have very strict recruitment procedures. Some are so strict even if you’re the M.Ds daughter you won’t scale through unless by merit. For example, the Daughter of the GMD of NNPC who failed the 2012 recruitment tests. So believe me, that your uncle can only refer you to the recruitment portal and nothing more. (Ceteris paribus o!)

3. Outsourcing: Most companies now outsource HR functions to 3rd party consultants. E.g Dragnet etc. Ok, so vacancy opens at your uncle’s workplace, but the recruitment process is handled by Dragnet. The best he can do is to give the web link and ensure that you’re invited for aptitude test. He can’t rig your test score for you. (Ceteris paribus o!)

4. Company policy: Most companies don’t employ people related by blood. So, that your uncle works there disqualifies you automatically. I heard of how a panel member at a job interview announced his relationship to a candidate and consequently excused himself. The candidate was his nephew.

There you have it; reasons your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work.

Source:
The Job Seekers Creed - more than just a book.
http://www.facebook.com/TheJobseekersCreed
I know siblings working in Shell,
I also know a third class graduate working in mobil as a full staff, she started as a fresher. undecided
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by onome710(m): 7:45pm On Jul 23, 2014
True but one seems to wonder how "connection" is still the highest way of getting jobs
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 23, 2014
There are only 3 ways to get a Job in Nigeria
1: Demonstrate above-normal Relevance and Value for the Role/Position you want to fill or are targeting
2: Have a powerful connection (especially in organizations where office politics works)
3: Work for yourself.. it can be legit or yahoo-yahoo or armed robbery, all na work with risks and benefits
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by angela98(f): 8:10pm On Jul 23, 2014
This reasons are lame and myopic. I have helped relatives and friends secure a job in the organization I work. If there is future vacancy, I am ready to recommend and help any of my interested relatives or friends secure the job...helping others is a good thing. As long as they are doing their job well...life is too short and shouldn't' be a competition. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 23, 2014
Most companies employ by merit,but been shortlisted for the apt test is the problem.. most (70percent) oil servicing company hardly advertise. (Those in port harcourt knows how many oil and gas firm located in ph but they don't advertise )except for experienced position,pls why is WRPC filled with hausa men..na dem knw book pass?..why Mobil filled wit yoruba men na only dem they scale the interview?
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 23, 2014
Gbam!!!
Syenite: Unemployed youths should not have this defeatist attitude that the only way to get a job is by connection.

The truth and whole truth still remains that a good number of companies still recruit based on merit. Fact that u know someone who never wrote any test and got a job in a company does nt mean that there are no people who ever get jobs through the transparent recruitment process.

My advice to fresh graduates is that don't pay attention to people with the "u need connection to get the job" attitude. They will make u feel like a loser and defeated even before the job search. Mind the kind of job seekers u associate urself with or listen to. Believe me when ur mind is defeated ur life will be defeated.

MOST companies still recruit on merit. I was once in the labour market. I have moved from one establishement to the other. I never knew anyone.

The truth is people who probably didn't do well in school are using this "no connection no job" lies to console themselves and make u feel like all ur study efforts were in vain.

Keep searching, keep preparing for aptitude tests and interviews and b persistent. Believe in God and very importantly also believe in urself and that dream or desired job will be urs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Natforce Latest News / Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! / Got 2 New Job Offers...pls Advice Me On Which One To Take

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.