Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? (1336 Views)

First Class Graduate Who Can't Spell 'Distinction' / OAU First Class Graduate Given N1m, New Job At Alibaba’s New Year Concert / First Class Graduate Killed By Policeman Over Girlfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by double0seven(m): 6:34pm On Jul 23, 2014
There is this my cousin, much older than me: he is 39 years old. About three to four years ago , he applied to the university of Ibadan DLC (Distance Learning Center) for the course Political Science. He was admitted and started the five year program.

I remember asking him during his 200 level exams, what kind of job he'll like to do with his certificate.

He just laughed and said, wetin concern am with job. He just wants to do the thing so as to have the certificate; so that people won't be able to say he didn't go to school; and maybe because of unforeseen opportunities in the future.

Now understand, this my Bros actually gained admission into Unilag in the late 90s.....98 to be precise. In his final year, he was expelled for exam malpractice. He helped a course mate to write a difficult course.

Right now, he is into business. He is okay, but he is not exactly rolling in millions or living the ultimate big boys life. You know what I mean.

Like early this month, while at our place, he decided to check his 300 level results which just came out in my laptop. While checking, I heard him say "unbelievable".

When I asked what the matter was, he beckoned at me to come over. He pointed me to the spot where his GPA was calculated. He said he has never paid much attention to it.

His GPA was 5.7. First class according to the chat on the U.I portal starts from 6.0.

He is just 0.3 shy away from 1st class. He has two more sessional exams to write. Before now he hasn't put in too much effort. I told him, and he said it too, that if he puts in some effort, there is no reason why he cannot graduate with a 1st class degree in Political Science next year (he's in 400 level now).

Then he asked me "Aburo, is there any point to this? What opportunity is there in the labour market for a 40 year old first class graduate? He said no one or organisation will be willing to offer him a job even if has a first class degree.

But nevertheless, I convinced him to work at getting the first class which he deferred to me that he will. He is very intelligent and I know he can do it easily.

But I've been thinking about what he said since then and I've decided to throw this open to the house.

What do you think? Is there any prospects for a an intelligent 40 year old first class graduate?

I'm interested in what people have to say.

1 Like

Re: Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by DankemzI(m): 6:56pm On Jul 23, 2014
He can go into politics. Be a L.G Chairman or ward leader!
Re: Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by adioolayi(m): 7:08pm On Jul 23, 2014
Wow wow......too hard to crack! I believe nothing is impossible.
Re: Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by lanrefront1(m): 7:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
DankemzI: He can go into politics. Be a L.G Chairman or ward leader!

You don't need a certificate to be or do that.
Re: Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by b3llo(m): 9:11pm On Jul 23, 2014
Congrats to him. He can apply for a suitable position in PDP or APC am very certain they won't ingnore his application.
Re: Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by double0seven(m): 9:33pm On Jul 23, 2014
b3llo: Congrats to him. He can apply for a suitable position in PDP or APC am very certain they won't ingnore his application.

Very funny grin.....will you guy get serious for once... wink
Re: Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by ignis: 9:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
Story that touches the heart.
Re: Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by double0seven(m): 8:38am On Jul 24, 2014
Still waiting for an insightful answer...... common experienced guys in the house....
Re: Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by double0seven(m): 10:29am On Jul 25, 2014
Re: Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by double0seven(m): 5:17pm On Jul 31, 2014
Re: Any Job Prospects For A 40 Year-old Political Science First-class Graduate? by christejames(m): 8:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
He can venture into academics, lecturing precisely after doing his post graduate studies. He would make it better in that field considering his age. #mythoughtthough!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria University News/scholarships / Conjoined Atlanta Twins Who Shared Arms, Legs And A Heart Die Just One Day After / Ican Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.