Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,782 members, 7,802,425 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Untold Stories Of Single Mothers - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Untold Stories Of Single Mothers (5708 Views)

8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. / Thread For Single Mothers/ Fathers / Effect Of Single Parenting On A Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by shaybebaby(f): 11:50am On Jul 24, 2014
MadCow1:

Yes there is a difference.

Example: A divorcee who is getting Child support and joint custody cant technically call herself a Single Mum.
Smh at the lack of reasoning on this site sometimes.
Divorced i.e single
Mum i.e has got a child/ children
Hope this has simplified things enough for you.

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 24, 2014
paralysis:
you never will know how dangerous it is to train a child as a sungle parent until you check your self with other people of your financial status and itherwise,then you agree that a man's place in the house is so much important
How does that change her experience of growing without a father? She's only told how she lived. Did she say either she or their mother killed their father? Stick to the thread and stop chasing shadows.

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by bilms(m): 12:54pm On Jul 24, 2014
hum
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by MadCow1: 2:01pm On Jul 24, 2014
shaybebaby:
Smh at the lack of reasoning on this site sometimes.
Divorced i.e single
Mum i.e has got a child/ children
Hope this has simplified things enough for you.

Stop being cynical.. It doesnt look good on you.

A Single mother in the real sense of the Word normally refers to Mothers with kids outside marriage. What you refer to as simplyfying it is one thing, I am trying to get a clear definition of the status of the singleness. Is it a divorcee, a Widow or a Babymama.

Pfft.. The way Niggas trip over bullshit is really amazing.

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by shaybebaby(f): 2:52pm On Jul 24, 2014
MadCow1:

Stop being cynical.. It doesnt look good on you.

A Single mother in the real sense of the Word normally refers to Mothers with kids outside marriage. What you refer to as simplyfying it is one thing, I am trying to get a clear definition of the status of the singleness. Is it a divorcee, a Widow or a Babymama.

Pfft.. The way Niggas trip over bullshit is really amazing.
All of the above.
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by MadCow1: 3:10pm On Jul 24, 2014
shaybebaby:
All of the above.

grin
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by timsbee(f): 3:43pm On Jul 24, 2014
i can testify to single motherhood big tym.... I was a single mum for 4yrs bfor i got married. Dat xperience taught me alot about being independent. D situation was bad because d fada of my girl was just a figure head and wasnt readdy to allow me further my eductn. I was scared of leavin him because i dont want to count dat i av kids with different men.... My people to shorten d long story, i am now happily married to a veeeeerrry responsible man, nd i av 1kid along with my first kid dat makes 2. Nd m going to stop on 4.(lol) av been married for four years now nd u cant even tell my girl is not my husband's daughter........ God really loves me.

8 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by JEITO: 4:08pm On Jul 24, 2014
dytbabe: What's with this latest trend of single mums sef

My mum was a single mum and I didn't see any pain, she's a conquerer, she was and still is more than a man, I grew up seeing men askin her to marry them ofcus she was contempted and didn't need any of them nor their wealth, I had bn in the house where a man came to present her with a car gift jst so she be his, mum choose us over anyman.

Maybe these days men sha, my mum was a very hard working woman that we didn't even feel the need for a dad, a woman that saw 5kids thru schools till uni level.

That woman is my own god, my idol, she taught me what indepence is.

God bless u mama
and what did she say independence is if I may ask?

By the way, being a single mom, is not the same as losing your husband.
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by dytbabe: 4:28pm On Jul 24, 2014
JEITO: and what did she say independence is if I may ask?

By the way, being a single mom, is not the same as losing your husband.

U askin me what independence is?
Am sure u cld figure it all out in that post.

Single mum is single mum be it divorced, widower, it all boils down to a single parent. And I am sure there was no where there I wrote I didn't have a dad

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by bilms(m): 7:12pm On Jul 24, 2014
confused
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by egopersonified(f): 3:42pm On Jul 25, 2014
Raising kids single handedly doesnt affect d kids in anyway, except d parent doesnt do his or her responsibility of caring for the child. There are homes with both parents that kids are raised to be menace to society. Sometimes being divorced or a baby mama might be the best option for raising a resposible or mentally well adjusted kid.

For example, which child would grow up without issues in a house where the father pounds his mother while drunk on a daily basis, doesnt give money for feeding and shows no interest in d child's academics? Sometimes separation or divorce might be a child's saviour.

4 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by MadCow1: 3:45pm On Jul 25, 2014
egopersonified: Raising kids single handedly doesnt affect d kids in anyway, except d parent doesnt do his or her responsibility of caring for the child. There are homes with both parents that kids are raised to be menace to society. Sometimes being divorced or a baby mama might be the best option for raising a resposible or mentally well adjusted kid.

For example, which child would grow up without issues in a house where the father pounds his mother while drunk on a daily basis, doesnt give money for feeding and shows no interest in d child's academics? Sometimes separation or divorce might be a child's saviour.

Erm.. @ Highlight: Thats a Fhucking Lie.. cool

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by crackhaus: 3:51pm On Jul 25, 2014
egopersonified: Raising kids single handedly doesnt affect d kids in anyway, except d parent doesnt do his or her responsibility of caring for the child. There are homes with both parents that kids are raised to be menace to society. Sometimes being divorced or a baby mama might be the best option for raising a resposible or mentally well adjusted kid.

This is not true @emboldened.

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by egopersonified(f): 3:56pm On Jul 25, 2014
MadCow1:

crackhaus:
This is not true @emboldened.
MadCow1:

So u would rather have a child in a dysfunctional family all in the name of having both parents live together?

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by MadCow1: 3:58pm On Jul 25, 2014
egopersonified:

So u would rather have a child in a dysfunctional family all in the name of having both parents live together?

Na Mam,

I was only refuting your assretion that a Child raised in a single parent setting isnt affected by it in anyway..

With regard to you above question: Ofcourse not.

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by crackhaus: 4:03pm On Jul 25, 2014
egopersonified:

No, but you made a definitive statement which is not true.

Sometimes being divorced or a baby mama might
be the best option for raising a responsible or
mentally well adjusted kid.
Being divorced or being a baby mama is never the best option for raising a responsible or mentally well adjusted kid.

3 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by egopersonified(f): 4:08pm On Jul 25, 2014
MadCow1:

Na Mam,

I was only refuting your assretion that a Child raised in a single parent setting isnt affected by it in anyway..

With regard to you above question: Ofcourse not.

isnt affected by it negatively if that child is from a dysfunctional family. My opinion

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by pickabeau1: 4:09pm On Jul 25, 2014
It seems there is a wind of single motherhood blowing now

It is a reality but should not be made the ideal and made to be the standard.

Children from single homes will adjust and some will excel but these are not the average kids.

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by egopersonified(f): 4:10pm On Jul 25, 2014
crackhaus:
No, but you made a definitive statement which is not true.

Being divorced or a being a baby mama is never the best option for raising a responsible or mentally well adjusted kid.

being divorced or a baby mama is the best option for raising a well adjusted kid from a dysfunctional family, my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by MadCow1: 4:10pm On Jul 25, 2014
egopersonified:

isnt affected by it negatively if that child is from a dysfunctional family. My opinion

Dysfunctional or not, a child raised in a single parent home is always definitely affected by it and there isnt much that parent can do about it.

Dysfunctional home is a whole nother subject matter. Cos even in this case, most times, the child is really quite fhucked upside the head.
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by crackhaus: 4:13pm On Jul 25, 2014
egopersonified:

being divorced or a baby mama is the best option for raising a well adjusted kid from a dysfunctional family, my opinion.
Lol...Okay!
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by OmoAlata1(f): 4:15pm On Jul 25, 2014
You can be a married woman and still be consider a single mother. If your husband is an absentee father, guest what? you are a single mother.

4 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 25, 2014
egopersonified:

Please, stop spreading this falsehood. It is so wrong. You might as well say the menfolk are not needed at all in the overall wellbeing of a child, except as sperm donors. We all know that's a truckload of falsehood.
Regardless that some posters above me believe to the contrary, the ideal is still that the child will thrive better in a home where both parents are there, playing their god-ordained roles. I understand however that this is usually not the reality a lot of us are acquainted with.

4 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by abolade62: 5:17pm On Jul 25, 2014
Unique3:
Please, stop spreading this falsehood. It is so wrong. You might as well say the menfolk are not needed at all in the overall wellbeing of a child, except as sperm donors. We all know that's a truckload of falsehood.
Regardless that some posters above me believe to the contrary, the ideal is still that the child will thrive better in a home where both parents are there, playing their god-ordained roles. I understand however that this is usually not the reality a lot of us are acquainted with.
You have "spoken" well.
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by egopersonified(f): 5:59pm On Jul 25, 2014
Unique3:

sorry to burst your bubble, am no feminist or sperm donor preacher. Like u said where both parents are playing their God ordained roles. So where they are not, everybody's well being and peace of mind shouldnt be sacrificed to maintain the mr. and mrs. symbol. Again, my opinion.

4 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by ireneidiva(f): 7:19pm On Jul 25, 2014
Amelian:

Sadly true, Especially for d child's sake..Responsible Men cannot be overuled in d successful upbringing of kids. Its a Fact, most pple are ignoring in. Recent times.. Even bn a Single father in a child's life is incomplete. THat Child u think can cope and u feel he or she is happy, needs a COmplete. Stable Family unit. Its. A pschological thing. Most single parents will not realise for nw, until d child is inbetween the threshold of a teenager crossing over to an adult.. Na then, d teenage seemingly quiet boy turns into a rebel or becomes so introvert that he's more like a loner. While for teenage girls? Most are into Prostitution, cos they crave for Fatherly love and presence, in the arms of strange men, who are everly waiting for such insecure teenage girlS.
So my dear peeps, bn a single parents is not 'IT' at all.. sad
You haven't seen prostitutes that don't have single parents, right?

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by bilms(m): 9:36pm On Jul 25, 2014
hum
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by 1miccza: 9:50pm On Jul 25, 2014
#pulls out my akara chair and sits down# claps my hand. Ehen tell me story!!!!
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by Kanwulia: 9:57pm On Jul 25, 2014
What a man can't do. . . .a woman can OUT-DO!!!! kiss
Thank awa lucky stars for SPERM-DONORS and SPERM-BANKS!!!! cool
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by bilms(m): 7:43am On Jul 27, 2014
angry
Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jul 27, 2014
I became a single mum recently. After I survived domestic violence repeatedly,I had no other choice than to leave with my baby girl for safety.I struggled hard to satisfy my husband and encourage him despite his not doing his responsibility as a husband and father.I struggled so hard. So that my child dosnt starve and to avoid quarrels with hubby. His family was not helping matter and they abandoned me to my fate in the hands of a 'MONSTER'.I am a survivor and I thanks God sparing my life

3 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Single Mothers by shaybebaby(f): 12:40pm On Jul 27, 2014
ephee: I became a single mum recently. After I survived domestic violence repeatedly,I had no other choice than to leave with my baby girl for safety.I struggled hard to satisfy my husband and encourage him despite his not doing his responsibility as a husband and father.I struggled so hard. So that my child dosnt starve and to avoid quarrels with hubby. His family was not helping matter and they abandoned me to my fate in the hands of a 'MONSTER'.I am a survivor and I thanks God sparing my life
Oh ephee, my heart goes out to you. It's going to be a long road ahead and you will be mocked and ridiculed like you can see from some stupid posts on this thread.
But you owe no one nothing and your happiness and that of your child is paramount.
There are good men out there should you decide to find love again but remember being with a man is not the sole path to happiness as is evident from your experience.
You can and will find happiness and contentment either alone or with someone else. I wish you all the best, well done you brave momma! kiss

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Married To A Man Who Doesn't Want Me To Grow / Why most Pregnant women don't like wearing pants (Underwears) / If Your Partner Hits You ONE Time, Would You Leave Or Stay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.