Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? (14209 Views)

How To Bridge The Gap Between American Born Nigerians & Nigerians / Disrespect Of The Red Cap And Igbo Traditions:i Blame Your Parents!! / Gap Tooth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by anonymous6(f): 1:34am On Jul 24, 2014
[b]The question of the rift between Anglophone Africa and the Francophone Africa is a delicate one. But if the shape of the New Africa is to be understood, the discussion must be had nonetheless.

The discussion falls into two main camps. One group of commentators, including Niall Ferguson argue that the British as colonialists spread free markets, rule of law and in due course, democracy. Alain Faujas posits” lack of infrastructure, a poor corporate culture and bad governance are among the reasons French-speaking countries in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) are, in recent years, lagging behind their English-speaking neighbours.”

This theory gets firepower from a research project by Lee and Schulz at Stanford University. They exploit the rare case of Cameroon which is a single African country part of which was under British influence with another being Francophone. This would seem to provide a control since both parts of the country have similar endowments including natural resources and population. The team found that rural areas on the British side had higher levels of household wealth and better public infrastructure in the case of piped water. However, there was no such difference in urban areas and centrally-provided public goods. Joshua Keating in this Foreign Policy comment “The Post-Colonial Hangover?” leans on this work in his Foreign Policy magazine where he concludes some empires are indeed worse than others.

On the other side of the ring is Shanta Devarajan, Chief Economist – Africa at the Wolrd Bank who argues that the gap in performance between the two types of countries is not as stark as many suggest. He blames the mineral curse, as well as low infrastructure investment which hampers landlocked countries. Dr Fred van der Kraaij agrees, bringing a more nuanced analysis to this emotive question. Under his criteria, eight English-speaking African countries are doing well whereas ‘only’ three or four French-speaking countries qualify. That hardly qualifies as a huge gap in his view.
He explores alternative factors that may explain the gap. Other than colonial legacy, he says, other factors influence the success of countries. Overall, he argues, while there are always exceptions, countries that are coastal, large, stable, and those that have natural resources and sound macro-economic policies Countries that are doing well are:

• Coastal countries
• Well endowed with natural resources
• With a relatively big population
• Politically stable and with no violent conflict (civil war)
• Sound macroeconomic policies
• Investing in agriculture & infrastructure[/b]
http://thisnewafrica.com/2013/03/performance-gap-between-francophones-and-anglophones-whos-to-blame/

1 Like

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Tocheagle(m): 3:33am On Jul 24, 2014
THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE: The british govt gave independence to some extent while the french never gave at all but pretended to give . Go to all french speaking african Nations and you'll notice that they're not truely free as colonialism is bitting hard on their skin. Their govts can take a lil decision without contacting their bonjour masters .

28 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by datguru: 5:05am On Jul 24, 2014
Let me think

1 Like

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:12am On Jul 24, 2014
The French system of assimilation, and even association worked against African, except for the few priveleged.

1 Like

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by RichDad1(m): 5:14am On Jul 24, 2014
I wish I had something reasonable to say.
I'm sorry. sadsad

12 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by curiouses: 5:15am On Jul 24, 2014
As stated in the article, majority of francophone countries are landlocked and lack natural resources which is a major determinant of a nation's development. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by itsmine: 5:17am On Jul 24, 2014
what would it cost if d whole world speak only one language. Communication & flow of resources would av been better. Nigerians are even closer to ghana than they are to cameroon & benin.

1 Like

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by sCun: 5:18am On Jul 24, 2014
There is no performance gap between the two.
Infact Francophone countries are doing slightly better to me.

2 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by chlowi(f): 5:21am On Jul 24, 2014
RichDad1: I wish I had something reasonable to say.
I'm sorry. sadsad

Lol, I. Love the sincerity...but wait o must you comment? grin

6 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Opiosko: 5:24am On Jul 24, 2014
Tocheagle: THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE: The british govt gave independence to some extent while the french never gave at all but pretended to give . Go to all french speaking african Nations and you'll notice that they're not truely free as colonialism is bitting hard on their skin. Their govts can take a lil decision without contacting their bonjour masters .
Ya right, France Assimilation nd later Association colonial policy has made a slave of the Francos, it's so shameful.

2 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by YoursGEJ(m): 5:29am On Jul 24, 2014
France still has so much influence in francophone countries that you would be excused if you called them extended French territories.

You need to see when French president visited ivory coast....e be like say na angel come down from heaven

4 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Emmy3(m): 5:30am On Jul 24, 2014

COUNTRIES THAT WERE COLONISED BY BRITAIN
Botswana,
Egypt,
The Gambia,
Ghana,
Kenya,
Lesotho,
Malawi,
Namibia,
Nigeria,
Sierra Leone,
Somalia,
Sudan,
Swaziland,
Tanzania,
Uganda,
Zambia,
Zimbabwe,
Sudan

COUNTRY THAT WAS COLONISED BY SPAIN.
Equatorial Guinea
COUNTRIES THAT WERE COLONISED BY PORTUGAL.
Angola,
Guinea-Bissau,
Mozambique,
Oman
COUNTRIES THAT WERE COLONISED BY FRANCE.
Benin,
Burkina Faso,
Cameroon,
Central African Republic,
Chad,
Republic of the Congo,
Cote d'Ivoire,
Gabon,
Guinea,
Madagascar,
Mali,
Mauritania,
Mozambique,
Niger,
Senegal,
Togo,
Algeria,
Morocco,
Tunisia

COUNTRIES THAT WERE COLONISED BY BELGIUM.
Burundi,
Democratic Republic of the Congo,
Rwanda
COUNTRY THAT WAS COLONISED BY ITALY.
Libya
COUNTRY THAT WAS NEVER COLONIZED
Ethiopia

17 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by RichDad1(m): 5:32am On Jul 24, 2014
chlowi:

Lol, I. Love the sincerity...but wait o must you comment? grin
Yes! That's why I become a member. But this Seun guy is hitting on my nerves with that USELESS No 1 appended to my name. For the umpteenth time Seun I beg you in name of all the deity you believe in, my name is Richdad not Richdad1.
Reverse it now or else....
#Bringbackmyusername

5 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Opiosko: 5:32am On Jul 24, 2014
curiouses: As stated in the article, majority of francophone countries are landlocked and lack natural resources which is a major determinant of a nation's development. Simple.
Not only that, they are brain-locked too, that's why they defers to France on every little issue

1 Like

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Edwardhead(m): 5:37am On Jul 24, 2014
those stupids colonised us whether one is better or not!
Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Smartlux(m): 5:44am On Jul 24, 2014
wetin i been wan write sef? angry
Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Nobody: 5:50am On Jul 24, 2014
supporter of APC
Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by KillerBeauty(f): 6:05am On Jul 24, 2014
Most anglophone countries were stuborn and hardheaded and they demanded for independence from the british but the francophone countries were comfortable with the assimilation/association policy, they saw themselves as half french that they thought fighting for independence was a bad idea. It was when they started seeing how better the anglophone countries were fairing after independence that they decided to start agitating for it. That's why they are worst off in africa @ the moment

5 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by ichidodo: 6:15am On Jul 24, 2014
Vivé lé Francé

1 Like

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by fnep2smooth(m): 6:27am On Jul 24, 2014
they can't grow.
The reason they can't grow is because they can't produce.
the reason they can't produce is because there master at the top used there country as dumping ground for already made product.
So how can they grow when things their master send to them are cheap and foreign .

5 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by ojeota(f): 6:29am On Jul 24, 2014
Sincerly, the francophone countries are better off(political stability,economic wise etc) especially in west africa.
Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Smartsyn(m): 6:32am On Jul 24, 2014
The languages..
Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by chlowi(f): 6:33am On Jul 24, 2014
RichDad1:
Yes! That's why I become a member. But this Seun guy is hitting on my nerves with that USELESS No 1 appended to my name. For the umpteenth time Seun I beg you in name of all the deity you believe in, my name is Richdad not Richdad1.
Reverse it now or else....

Lol!
Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by RichDad1(m): 6:35am On Jul 24, 2014
chlowi:

Lol!
If not because if this your "lol" , I've promised I'm not gonna laugh today. But you've got me. Lolooool
Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by chlowi(f): 6:39am On Jul 24, 2014
RichDad1:
If not because if this your "lol" , I've promised I'm not gonna laugh today. But you've got me. Lolooool

Oh common why would I want to have a day without laughter? Its gonna be an unfruitful day
Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by ITbomb(m): 6:49am On Jul 24, 2014
RichDad1:
Hi, RichDad1
Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Pavore9: 6:53am On Jul 24, 2014
Has anyone noticed that Francophone countries from lvory Coast to Gabon have this laid back lifestyle and are jaiye-jaiye people. They love working less & "relaxing" harder, most of those really hustling in those countries are mostly foreigners!

9 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by ow11(m): 6:58am On Jul 24, 2014
Emmy3:
Botswana,
Egypt,
The Gambia,
Ghana,
Kenya,
Lesotho,
Malawi,
[b]Namibia
Nigeria,
Sierra Leone,
Somalia,
Sudan,
Swaziland,
Tanzania,
Uganda,
Zambia,
Zimbabwe,
Sudan -
[/b]
Equatorial Guinea
Angola,
Guinea-Bissau,
Mozambique,
Oman
Benin,
Burkina Faso,
Cameroon,
Chad,
Republic of the Congo,
Cote d'Ivoire,
Gabon,
Guinea,
Madagascar,
Mali,
Mauritania,
Mozambique,
Niger,
Senegal,
Togo,
Algeria,
Morocco,
Tunisia
Burundi,
Rwanda
Libya
Ethiopia

Great List, A slight Modification/Addition - Oman isn't in Africa and Mozambique appeared twice

Countries colonised by USA
Liberia

Countries colonised by Germany
Germany had to give up its colonies post world war 1

Cameroun - Handed over to France
Namibia - Handed over to South Africa
Tangayika - Handed over to Britain who merged it with Zanzibar to form Tanzania
Togo- Handed over to France

Countries colonised by France

Comoros Islands
Djibouti

Countries colonised by Britain

Seychelles
Mauritius

Countries colonised by Portugal

Sao Tome and Principe
Cape Verde

Countries colonised by Ethiopia

Eritrea

Countries colonised by Italy

Present day (Unrecognised) Somaliland - Merged with Somalia after WW1 but has been self governing since Somalia went south in the 90s.

Countries/Lands still colonised

Mayotte - France
Reunion - France
St. Helena - Britain
Tristan da Cunha -Britain
Canary Islands - Spain
Ceuta - Spain
Madeira - Portugal
Azores - Portugal

Unrecognised countries

Sarahawi Arab Republic (Western Sahara) Currently colonised by Morocco previously colonised by Spain

13 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 24, 2014
Another reason for the gap....the emergence of English as the language of international business over the last several decades.

If you want to do business across borders ,it pays to know English.....which might make it easier for a Anglophone (whose education was done in English) than a Francophone (who may have to learn English as a third language).

Then there is the fact that the US is the king of the global market....and the US is English speaking.

6 Likes

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by masterP042(m): 7:36am On Jul 24, 2014
booked some space
Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 24, 2014
Let me read 1st.

You don't need a prophet to tell you that Anglophone countrie are doing better. East-kenya West-Nigeria North-Egypt(colonized by Britain) South-S.A

1 Like

Re: Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? by iamord(m): 7:57am On Jul 24, 2014
Emmy3:
Botswana,
Egypt,
The Gambia,
Ghana,
Kenya,
Lesotho,
Malawi,
Namibia,
Nigeria,
Sierra Leone,
Somalia,
Sudan,
Swaziland,
Tanzania,
Uganda,
Zambia,
Zimbabwe,
Sudan

Equatorial Guinea
Angola,
Guinea-Bissau,
Mozambique,
Oman
Benin,
Burkina Faso,
Cameroon,
Chad,
Republic of the Congo,
Cote d'Ivoire,
Gabon,
Guinea,
Madagascar,
Mali,
Mauritania,
Mozambique,
Niger,
Senegal,
Togo,
Algeria,
Morocco,
Tunisia

Burundi,
Rwanda
Libya
Ethiopia
wow.. Its glaring to see. How all african countries behave. the. Masters have really influenced the black citizens.. When I remember king leopod of belgium and the country they colonized. Burundi,
Rwanda . Its clear to see why they have been war torn

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? / A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. / History Of Ebira People: Outspoken, Talented And Hardworking People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.