Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,743 members, 7,806,038 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup (2009 Views)

Nigeria Vs Germany (0 - 1): FIFA U-20 Women WC Final On 8th August 2014 / Nigeria Vs Korea DPR (6 - 2) FIFA U-20 Women's WC Semi Final On Wed 20th August / Nigeria Vs Tunisia (4 - 2): Semi-Final U-17 AFCON On Wednesday 24 April 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by olokfor: 5:47am On Jul 24, 2014
Nigeria U-20 women coach Peter Dedevbo has announced his 21-player-squad for the 2014 Fifa U-20 Women’s World Cup finals.

The Falconets will be making their seventh appearance in this competition and have been drawn in the Group C with Mexico, Korea Republic and England.

Making the list is Courtney Dike who is the younger sister of Super Eagles’ forward Bright Dike. The tall forward from Oklahoma State University is the only foreign based player in the squad.
The team will depart for Moncton, Canada through Frankfurt in two batches aboard Lufthansa Airlines flight on Thursday and Friday, from Abuja.
There are three goalkeepers, seven defenders, five midfielders and six strikers.

FULL SQUAD
Goalkeepers:Sandra Chiihii (Ibom Angels); Ibijoke Sangonuga (Inneh Queens); Chiudo Ehiudo (Delta Queens)

Defenders:Ebere Okoye (Nasarawa Amazons); Jiroro Idike (Delta Queens); Maryam Ibrahim (Nasarawa Amazons); Sarah Nnodim (Delta Queens); Ugo Njoku (Rivers Angels); Victoria Aidelomon (Pelican Stars); Gladys Abasi (Ibom Angels)

Midfielders:Asisat Oshoala (Rivers Angels); Patience Okaeme (Delta Queens); Halimatu Ayinde (Delta Queens); Yetunde Adeboyejo (Bayelsa Queens); Osarenoma Igbinovia (Inneh Queens)

Forwards:Loveth Ayila (Makwada Babes); Courtney Dike (Oklahoma State University, USA); Uchenna Kanu (Pelican Stars); Yetunde Aluko (Sunshine Queens); Chinwendu Ihezuo (Pelican Stars); Uchechi Sunday (Rivers Angels)

www.metronaija.com/nigeria-announce-final-u-20-women-squad-for-world-cup/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Caseless: 6:06am On Jul 24, 2014
Uchena kanu?
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by tuffgongjo(m): 7:01am On Jul 24, 2014
caseless: Uchena kanu?
do you know her?
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Caseless: 7:21am On Jul 24, 2014
tuffgongjo: do you know her?
i think say na kanu sister.
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by tuffgongjo(m): 7:26am On Jul 24, 2014
caseless: i think say na kanu sister.
me think "Kanu" is a common name in Igboland like "OJO" is in yorubaland.
So they may not be related at all.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by denniece1(m): 7:26am On Jul 24, 2014
Uchenna kanu played U17 world cup earlier this year

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Syenite(m): 7:27am On Jul 24, 2014

Yeah she and Chinwe Ihezue played in this yr's Fifa U17 WC. I hope Uche Kanu can live up to the U20 standard after performing so well at U17.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Caseless: 7:38am On Jul 24, 2014
tuffgongjo: me think "Kanu" is a common name in Igboland like "OJO" is in yorubaland.
So they may not be related at all.
u ar right. It is jst dat kanu is the only ibo man i knw with that name.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Caseless: 7:39am On Jul 24, 2014
Syenite:

Yeah she and Chinwe Ihezue played in this yr's Fifa U17 WC. I hope Uche Kanu can live up to the U20 standard after performing so well at U17.
is she that good?
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Syenite(m): 8:01am On Jul 24, 2014
caseless: is she that good?

Didn't u see her at this yr's FIFA U17 WC? She was Nigeria's highest goal scorer with 3 goals even though she is an attacking Midfielder.
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by tuffgongjo(m): 8:26am On Jul 24, 2014
caseless: u ar right. It is jst dat kanu is the only ibo man i knw with that name.
when I was in camp(nysc)there was a guy with d name Kanu P. Nwankwo,not related to Papilo.
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Caseless: 10:19pm On Jul 24, 2014
tuffgongjo: when I was in camp(nysc)there was a guy with d name Kanu P. Nwankwo ,not related to Papilo.
that was too close and serious.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Caseless: 10:22pm On Jul 24, 2014
Syenite:

Didn't u see her at this yr's FIFA U17 WC? She was Nigeria's highest goal scorer with 3 goals even though she is an attacking Midfielder.
jst noticed her.
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by tuffgongjo(m): 10:34pm On Jul 24, 2014
caseless: that was too close and serious.
for real.
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jul 24, 2014

Ebere Okoye? Sam Okoye sister?
Maryam Ibrahim? Rabiu Ibrahim sister?
Loveth Ayila? Yusuf Ayila sister?
Courtney Dike? Bright Dike sister?
Yetunde Aluko? Sone Aluko sister?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Nobody: 12:08am On Jul 25, 2014
I wasn't surprised that Uchenna Kanu made the squad. She was one if Nigeria's best players at the last U-17 World Cup.

However, that team's right-back, Ologbosere (sp) should have been listed in the squad too. Her overlapping runs would have been useful in Canada. Also, Tessy Biahwo should have been included.

I wish the team all the best. Hopefully, they'll bring the cup to Abuja cool
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by daveP(m): 12:20am On Jul 25, 2014
Plz Op try come up with pix.they are our girls now.i guess sarah nnodim is the captain.confident on d ball.
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 25, 2014
Courtney Dike (19 yrs old). According to her university profile, she scored 94 goals, and got 12 assists in her high school career. She is presently a student at the Oklahoma State University.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by daveP(m): 12:54am On Jul 25, 2014
CFCfan: Courtney Dike (19 yrs old). According to her university profile, she scored 94 goals, and got 12 assists in her high school career. She is presently a student at the Oklahoma State University.
she's proven they dnt need to be masculine in shape in that pix.nice me likey already! grin
wait does kings/queens college keep records of secondary school goals

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Nobody: 12:56am On Jul 25, 2014
daveP: she's proven they dnt need to be masculine in shape in that pix.nice me likey already! grin
wait does kings/queens college keep records of secondary school goals

Lol. She played her High school football in the US. In fact, she was born in the US.
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Nobody: 1:17am On Jul 25, 2014
Sarah Nnodim

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Nobody: 1:30am On Jul 25, 2014
Uchenna Kanu

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Nobody: 1:36am On Jul 25, 2014
Falconets crush Abeez Academy as they step up preparations for Canada

Peter Dedevbo's team intensified their preparation for the Fifa U20 Women's World Cup in Canada, after they won 9-4 on aggregate against an age-grade Abuja wards in friendly
Nigeria Women's U20 team continued to enhance their readiness for the Fifa U20 Women's World Cup after they beat Abeez Academy 9-4 on aggregate in a pair of friendly matches played in Abuja.

The Falconets who are yet to depart the shores of the country two weeks to the international football championship, engaged the Abuja side at the Fifa Goal Project.

In the first leg encounter, abrace from Ihezuo Chinwendu and one each from Oshoala Asisat, Sunday Uchechi and Eyebhoria Winifred ensured the Falconets completed a 5-1 thrashing of the academy.

In the rematch, the Nigeria ladies narrowly overcame their hard fighting opponents as the encounter produced seven goals with the Falconets winning 4-3.

Speaking after the game, Falconets' coach Peter Dedevbo said the friendlies handed him better chance to critically assess his team and correct some gray areas before the tournament.

"With just days to the World Cup, I am intensifying preparations to ensure the team does well at the fiesta. The friendly game has given me the chance to experiment with team selection and tactics," said Dedevbo.

The country's representatives cruised to their seventh consecutive appearance at the World Cup after their defeat of the Basetsana of South Africa in the final round of qualifiers.

Falconets will hope to become the first African team to win the Women's U20 World Cup in Canada to surpass their 2010 runners-up feat after a 2-0 defeat to hosts Germany in the final.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4093/nigeria/2014/07/23/4976347/falconets-crush-abeez-academy-as-they-step-up-preparations
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Nobody: 1:53am On Jul 25, 2014
Falconets WC qualification results:

First round:
Nigeria 10-0 Sierra Leone
Sierra Leone 0-6 Falconets

Second Round:
Nigeria 4-0 Tunisia
Tunisia 0-4 Nigeria

Third Round:
Nigeria 6-0 South Africa
South Africa 0-1 Nigeria.

The Falconets outscored their opponents a massive 31-0 shocked grin grin
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by daveP(m): 2:11am On Jul 25, 2014
CFCfan:

Lol. She played her High school football in the US. In fact, she was born in the US.
exactly.just tryna know if that is done here too u get! grin
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Caseless: 5:40am On Jul 25, 2014
mikeansy:

Ebere Okoye? Sam Okoye sister?
Maryam Ibrahim? Rabiu Ibrahim sister?
Loveth Ayila? Yusuf Ayila sister?
Courtney Dike? Bright Dike sister?
Yetunde Aluko? Sone Aluko sister?
questionaire, did u read d report at all? Courtney na bright sister.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 25, 2014
CFCfan: Courtney Dike (19 yrs old). According to her university profile, she scored 94 goals, and got 12 assists in her high school career. She is presently a student at the Oklahoma State University.

Does she have a brother named bright ?
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 25, 2014
adaobi123:

Does she have a brother named bright ?
Yes. He plays for the Super Eagles.
He is probably the person who recommended her to the NFF.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by tuffgongjo(m): 12:27pm On Jul 25, 2014
CFCfan: Uchenna Kanu
the way she pulls her stockings to her knees reminds me of ifeanyi Udeze.
Re: Nigeria Announce Final U-20 Women Squad For World Cup by robosky02(m): 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2014
just the names inspires some confidence....
canada here we come

(1) (Reply)

‘super Computer’ Predicts Entire Premier League Table; Liverpool Not In Top-four / Sure Games 4 2moro No Scam# Play And Testify / Football Weekend Predictions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.