Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,084 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Have You Written Your Will? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have You Written Your Will? (10851 Views)

45 Life Lessons, Written By A 90 Year Old. / Have You Written Your Will? / Letter Written To My Rapist 29 Years After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Written Your Will? by NnamdiN: 7:02am On Jul 26, 2014
Can I share my debts amongst them too? I wudnt mind going on borrowing spree.

1 Like

Re: Have You Written Your Will? by chelseabmw(m): 7:04am On Jul 26, 2014
Nor be who get property dey write will? As I nor get anything wetin concern me with lawyer n will self undecided cheesy grin
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by rill: 7:08am On Jul 26, 2014
No, I no get good handwriting
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by JideTheBlogger(m): 7:08am On Jul 26, 2014
Thanks for the reminder. Will write my will now on who to take over my blogs... grin
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by Elnino4ladies: 7:19am On Jul 26, 2014
No be person where get pyoperties go write will..??....i'm a student strugglin wit life u want me 2 write will....WTF
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 26, 2014
Its a little bit 2 early 4 dis except 4 those already married....

Is it while im still in d university struggling 4 a better acheivement dat il b tinking of one will.... Tell me, which name will i put there Is it d children i dnt their names yet or d father i dnt knw yet?
I guess op must b married 4 her 2 ask such questions.....
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by snadguy007(m): 7:39am On Jul 26, 2014
Na person wey get wife and pikin dey write will....for me, i never get any. so dis post no be for me...make i waka go front
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by Raxxye(m): 8:53am On Jul 26, 2014
bizngr: That's commendable ma.'
It's never too early. You can start from your phone, clothing, shoes, books.
Nice post, OP.
For one who's still trying to have a grasp economically, how does one go about hiring a lawyer to write his will and looking for executioners and witnesses to sign?
Doesn't it sound ludicrous to approach a lawyer to write a will for things that you barely have?
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by Seyixyz: 9:02am On Jul 26, 2014
Wetin i get wey i won write will?Anyway,my techno dey ground
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by JEITO: 9:09am On Jul 26, 2014
I will write mine as soon as President GEJ wins his 2nd term in office.
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by zeelo2014: 9:18am On Jul 26, 2014
Pls let a family member know ur atm pin

1 Like

Re: Have You Written Your Will? by sawhite: 9:20am On Jul 26, 2014
seedord247: I dont need tooo... Cuz i'm only having 2 kids and i'd rather teach them how to fish than giving them basket full of dead fish than won't last them a day. smiley
speech of a poor man

2 Likes

Re: Have You Written Your Will? by maborukoje(f): 9:33am On Jul 26, 2014
Yes o I don read my will ooo

I dash Seun 100million wink

Every member of Naira land Village I dash una one one million

Don't bother thank me ooo

But you say Thank u extra million dey ground for u

AM NOT PROUD
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 26, 2014
I will write as soon as I plan to die at 105.
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by seedord247(m): 10:00am On Jul 26, 2014
sawhite: speech of a poor man

Jackie chan, bill gate are poor right... Olodo grin
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by dsmooth1(m): 10:36am On Jul 26, 2014
But in reality, the business of making a will can be quite straightforward and it won't cost the earth provided you are aware of the major pitfalls.

cry na waa wen ma cloth neva dry na hin one person bring eyinbo article cum dey tak abt will,,, bak to ma transistor radio,, kissnw playin bujebudanu
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by luvly101: 10:46am On Jul 26, 2014
angry only nairaland will...I ll write twitter and facebook soon. grin
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by ruffplay: 10:57am On Jul 26, 2014
I will my all to buhari for 2050 election
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by buJu234: 11:16am On Jul 26, 2014
datguru: This is no joke, it's very important for you to write your will, I'm a victim and I know what it means. Today I'm hustling not because I'm supposed to but because my father had no will and I was only 8 when he died and my mum is not from my father's tribe, so my father's brothers took all his properties. And believe me it have not been easy.

I think the solution to cases like this is that men/husbands should stop buying properties; opening accounts or doing investments on their name only but at least makes it a joint ownership with either the wife; children or both.

Under this no extended family members can take anything
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by obowunmi(m): 11:22am On Jul 26, 2014
If I don't have kids yet, everything goes to my niece. She gets a little over 5 million dollars plus a trust fund she can't touch until she's 21.

If I have kids, I will redraft the will.
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by englishmart(m): 11:28am On Jul 26, 2014
Yes!
I willed my Dad's properties and cash to myself
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jul 26, 2014
wizard of WILL... grin
wizard of WILL...
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by Revolva(m): 12:26pm On Jul 26, 2014
Which will when I no get anytin to loose ...omo jaoye jaiye I still dey
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by Jhayeahsam01(m): 1:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
wetin adon acquire.... only GioneeP3. I get
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by OLAJADON: 2:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
bizngr: The discussion about death is one which everyone abhors, especially their own. But if you don't make plans on how you want to distribute your worldly wealth while you're still alive, you can leave a host of problems and hardships for your grieving family to sort out.

Take the billionaire aviator turned recluse, Howard Hughes. It took 15 years of legal wrangling before his fortune was handed out among surviving family members because he hadn't bothered to make a will.

Maybe he, like many other people, felt daunted or even afraid by the process - or was it the cost?

But in reality, the business of making a will can be quite straightforward and it won't cost the earth provided you are aware of the major pitfalls.

Here are our top ten tips on how to end up with the perfect will.

1. Choose who draws up your will wisely
You can make your own will but this process is full of pitfalls and errors are easy to make. Lawyers make a lot more money sorting out badly drafted wills and dealing with claims against those wills, than they make for drawing up wills. It’s always advisable to employ the services of a reputable lawyer.

2. Choose your executors well
Executors are responsible for exercising your estate in accordance with your instructions after you have died. It is a responsible and demanding role, and involves handling large sums of money. And don't forget to check that the people you choose are happy to take on the role.

3. Appoint a default or substitute executor
If you are married, you will probably want your spouse to be your executor, but don't appoint them as your sole executor. If you both died together in a plane crash or a car accident, neither of you would have an executor living. Always appoint a default or substitute executor as a fall-back position in case your spouse is unwilling or unable to act.

4. Appoint guardians
If you are the last living parent and you die leaving children under age 18, a guardian will be appointed by the court if you have not specified who this should be in your will. If you are unmarried but you and your partner have children, you might not even get guardianship of your children. If an unmarried man dies, his female partner automatically gets guardianship of their children, but if an unmarried woman dies, her male partner does not. You should appoint each other as guardians in your wills to overcome this problem.

5. Appoint trustworthy trustees
This might sound obvious, but if you are setting up a trust in your will or if your beneficiaries could be aged under 18 when you die, you will need to appoint trustees. Trustees will be responsible for managing and investing money, or looking after property until it passes to the beneficiaries, so make sure they are people with a good grasp of financial matters - and that they are still young enough so they don't die before you do.

6. Make specific legacies
If you want to preserve family heirlooms or items of special sentimental value, (for example, a grandfather clock, or a wedding or engagement ring), you should leave these items as a specific legacy to a named beneficiary.

7. Make sure you leave a residual legacy
The 'residue' is what is left over in your estate after you have made any specific legacies. You must specify who this goes to, as if you fail to do so, you will create a partial intestacy in your will. In other words, the small gifts and legacies would pass according to the will, but the residue would be subject to the laws of intestacy.

8. Save tax with a trust
Inheritance tax is becoming a burden for many families, particularly where the value of a property pushes the value of an estate above the nil rate band for inheritance tax. If you are married, you can include a discretionary trust in your wills, which could save your children millions of naira in inheritance tax at current rates.

9. Sign your will
It's all very well having your will drafted, but if you don't sign it in front of two independent witnesses, it will not be valid. A witness cannot be anyone mentioned in the will or anyone married to anyone mentioned in the will.

10. Get it stored safely
Once your will has been correctly signed and witnessed, have it stored in a proper safe storage facility. This will protect it from fire, flood, damage, or loss. Your executors will be provided with a certificate showing them where your will is stored and how to get hold of it if you die. Whatever you do – don't hide your will. Your will is no good to anyone if it cannot be found after your death.

Source

gud job
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by LyfeJennings(m): 4:42pm On Jul 26, 2014
Got nothing
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by samkevie: 6:19pm On Jul 26, 2014
disloman: Wetin I don get 4 mi to start writing my will now?
I tire ooo
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by flowjoe: 6:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
born2fuck: I no plan to die soon. Not even in my radar, death for now is impossible.

HbDD dude ..hope u had birthday sexx grin
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by ogaofficer(m): 8:12pm On Jul 26, 2014
Raxxye:
Nice post, OP.
For one who's still trying to have a grasp economically, how does one go about hiring a lawyer to write his will and looking for executioners and witnesses to sign?
Doesn't it sound ludicrous to approach a lawyer to write a will for things that you barely have?

Re: Have You Written Your Will? by born2boink(m): 9:27pm On Jul 26, 2014
flowjoe:

HbDD dude ..hope u had birthday sexx grin
I reserve my dick for sunday night, I shayo, chop cake and rice
Re: Have You Written Your Will? by flowjoe: 9:34pm On Jul 26, 2014
born2fuck: I reserve my dick for sunday night, I shayo, chop cake and rice

Keep the Sabbath day holy grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Start A Footwear Business..... At Factory Price, And Be Your Own Boss / As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? / Why Do Some People Abandon Their Parents After Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.