Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,516 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? (19636 Views)

Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script / What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:00am On Jul 25, 2014
quid:
give evidence for your belief. Not guesswork
Not just me, those with evidence with links will do it.
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Feraz(m): 8:02am On Jul 25, 2014
gbosaa:
Your aim of opening this thread has been defeated by the few responses here especially the first one from Chinenyem....
I know you of all people must have researched this topic very well,knew its Efik connection..then brought it here to see how many Igbos would claim its origin and invention...
All you want is....Igbos claim Nsibidi to set them at war with Cross River people..wrong mister...Igbos love Efik,Ibibio etc people and that feeling is very mutual.
Alj Haram....your goodmorning to any Igbo man should not be trusted...
Bros, e never reach quarrel now besides, I think it's best we enlighten ourselves.

According to what I read, they're like there are different versions of the Nsibidi; as in Igbos have theirs, Efik theirs, Ekoi theirs. Someone who's well versed should throw more light. Quid, did you just write that as in the nsibidi writing in the picture?
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:04am On Jul 25, 2014
gbosaa:

Your aim of opening this thread has been defeated by the few responses here especially the first one from Chinenyem....

I know you of all people must have researched this topic very well,knew its Efik connection..then brought it here to see how many Igbos would claim its origin and invention...

All you want is....Igbos claim Nsibidi to set them at war with Cross River people..wrong mister...Igbos love Efik,Ibibio etc people and that feeling is very mutual.

Alj Haram....your goodmorning to any Igbo man should not be trusted...
This is an academic discourse. Nairalanders have a lot to gain from it. We really need to know our history.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:07am On Jul 25, 2014
quid: Onye wetara orji wetara ndu
Ezi okwu ki kwuru. Orlando wetara orji ta. Na ta ya.
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 25, 2014
Feraz: Bros, e never reach quarrel now besides, I think it's best we enlighten ourselves.

According to what I read, they're like there are different versions of the Nsibidi; as in Igbos have theirs, Efik theirs, Ekoi theirs. Someone who's well versed should throw more light. Quid, did you just write that as in the nsibidi writing in the picture?
oh no I did not write it. But it is the nsibidi transcription of an igbo proverb
also see http://nsibiri..co.uk for a movement called neo nsibidi

also http://nsibidi.wikia.com

2 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 8:10am On Jul 25, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Ezi okwu ki kwuru. Orlando wetara orji ta. Na ta ya.
orlando bu onye isi mgbaka

2 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Howmanage: 8:12am On Jul 25, 2014
I first came accross nsibidi on another forum. Curiously it was an Igbo lady informing us about it, and she did put it forward as Igbo- initiated early form of writing, so this is quite interesting.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 8:16am On Jul 25, 2014
!,

8 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 25, 2014
He thinks he wan't to burst a myth. Igbos have been writing the Nsibidi/Nsibiri marks on the walls of their shrine and Obi(family palace). It is old as 5,000 bc.

'Nsi'---Writing
'Biri'- of Life

Nsibidi/Nsibiri'-Writings/inscriptions of life.

read more---

nsibiri..com/2014/01/igbo-names-in-nisbiri.html?m=1

africa.si.edu/exhibits/inscribing/nsibidi.html

Orlando, you've lost this thread. Open another 'myth bursting' thread.... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 25, 2014
Feraz: Bros, e never reach quarrel now besides, I think it's best we enlighten ourselves.

Look at what the op posted on another thread.

OrlandoOwoh:
I invite you to my latest thread on "nsibidi." It is on the front page. The first myth busting thread to hit the front page.
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:23am On Jul 25, 2014
quid:
oh no I did not write it. But it is the nsibidi transcription of an igbo proverb

They may be related, but there should be a little difference between "nsibidi" and "nsibiri." "Nsibiri" is most likely the corrupt version. What do you think?
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 25, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
They may be related, but there should be a little difference between "nsibidi" and "nsibiri." "Nsibiri" is most likely the corrupt version. What do you think?
Ewwww orlando
the efik call it nsibidi
the igbos call it nsibiri or nchibiri

igbophobia does not help oooo

5 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:25am On Jul 25, 2014
dozzybaba:

Look at what the op posted on another thread.

The serious ones that are here to learn will ignore. Don't waste your time.
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:32am On Jul 25, 2014
quid:
Ewwww orlando
the efik call it nsibidi
the igbos call it nsibiri or nchibiri

igbophobia does not help oooo
Don't you think one is the corruption of another? The Arabic, the Yoruba and the Igbo call onion basa, alubosa and bawas respectively. Igbo and Yoruba corrupt the origin Arabic pronounciation.
I hate it when you start saying I have Igbophobia or hate Igbo people. Stop it. "Eyin t'aja fi n b'omo e sere, lo n fi n ge je." (the teeth a dog uses to play with its child are the same he uses to bite it).
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:34am On Jul 25, 2014
People vast in history and culture like Katsumoto, ACM10, DerideGull, Eziachi, Shymexx, etc are welcomed.
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 25, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Don't you think one is the corruption of another? The Arabic, the Yoruba and the Igbo call onion basa, alubosa and bawas respectively. Igbo and Yoruba corrupt the origin Arabic pronounciation.
I hate it when you start saying I have Igbophobia or hate Igbo people. Stop it. "Eyin t'aja fi n b'omo e sere, lo n fi n ge je." (the teeth a dog uses to play with its child are the same he uses to bite it).
ok. I will not call u igbophobic anymore. But please stop attacking my brothers and sisters.

The origin of nsibidi is lost. All that is left is mere guesswork.
Besides SE had many variants of the ekpe/mgbe/okonko secret society

5 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by bloodykiller: 8:36am On Jul 25, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: People vast in history and culture like Katsumoto, ACM10, DerideGull, Eziachi, Shymexx, etc are welcomed.

sharap idiotu

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Theflint1(m): 8:41am On Jul 25, 2014
bloodykiller:

sharap idiotu
hw far
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:45am On Jul 25, 2014
Theflint1: hw far
That boy is a comic relief.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by udemzyudex(m): 8:51am On Jul 25, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Is this Mutanda a Nigerian movie?
Yeah... Efik
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by blesoh(f): 8:51am On Jul 25, 2014
It still exist in my village here @ cross river(Ejagham)d writing is only known by the Ekpe(in ejagham we call it MGBE & ANGBU) its a secret society only d men get initiated.

4 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by udemzyudex(m): 8:57am On Jul 25, 2014
quid:

I think they are not thesame or let me say one is the IBO version while the other is the Efik version..
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by iyblaq(m): 9:24am On Jul 25, 2014
Udeme, yhu dey madra oo, we get witch cfraft pass una?? Akwa ibom boy.. Hhehhehheeh

udemzyudex: Its not orginated from IBO, if you want to find anything cult,witch craft go to cross river thats their foundation...
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by BlackPikiN(m): 9:27am On Jul 25, 2014
If you are Igbo/Efik/Ekoi

Read more about Nsibidi on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/973985/nsibiri-pre-colonial-writing-south-eastern

Crayola1 did a very good job.

Award winning author based in Chicago, Prof Nnedi Okoroafor also wrote a book about Nsibidi in her book, Akata witch.( I'm not too sure because I haven't read the book.)

The OP is a mischievous fellow.
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by cooljude(m): 9:57am On Jul 25, 2014
I just read this topic on Wikipedea. seriously, i feel curious, i need to see a person who could intereprete or probably teach me. Its high time we change our educational system to fit our society. Why would we have experts in english language and we don't have any in our own written language. Some people would still continue saying Africa don't have any History or intellectual.

3 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 25, 2014
Feraz: I've always wondered where the writings originated from and I'm of the opinion that the Eastern and SE governors should create awareness so that people can research more on it.
Governors have nothing to do with this, that's the work of university lecturers and researchers. There are universities in the South east especially the state universities with students and lecturers of linguistics who can research on this and publish their discoveries for awareness

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:17am On Jul 25, 2014
koastar:
Governors have nothing to do with this, that's the work of university lecturers and researchers. There are universities in the South east especially the state universities with students and lecturers of linguistics who can research on this and publish their discoveries for awareness
Those that know it appear to always keeping it a secret. It's like a caste.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Feraz(m): 10:27am On Jul 25, 2014
A wonderful job was done here by Crayola1/Zenuchi

Where's Madcow1, pagan9ja and others? What's your input on this and the above link?
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Truman155(m): 10:28am On Jul 25, 2014
dear yorubas what happened why are you not comenting i hope all is borehole well if so doxology sincerely #yoruba and awolowo hater

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Feraz(m): 10:32am On Jul 25, 2014
^^^You want to taint this thread okwa ya?

Please, ignore him.
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by bloodykiller: 10:40am On Jul 25, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Those that know it appear to always keeping it a secret. It's like a caste.

you dont know anything so sharap

go and die vulture
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by udemzyudex(m): 10:50am On Jul 25, 2014
iyblaq: Udeme, yhu dey madra oo, we get witch cfraft pass una?? Akwa ibom boy.. Hhehhehheeh

Lol...seriously,when it comes to anything cult,mermaid things etc even Benin dey learn when it comes to those stuff.. Except say if them don dey repent .

Cross River ehn..lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land / Are Africans Proud Of Black Americans? / Ooni Of Ife Lays Wreath At Commonwealth Remembrance Day In UK(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.