Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 (15053 Views)

Lagos Light Rail Will Start Functioning By December- Ambode ( Photos ) / SURE-P To Support Abuja Light Rail Project With N10bn / Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 25, 2014
The Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Oknojo-Iweala, made this known yesterday as she undertook an on-the-spot assessment of Airport and railway projects
** Okonjo-Iweala Lauds Abuja Rail, Airport Terminal Projects

25 Jul 2014

• China expresses satisfaction with loan application
• Abuja-Kaduna standard guage rail will be ready in December 2014, has now attained 84% completion rate

Ndubuisi Francis

It was thumbs up for the terminal expansion at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja and the light rail in Idu as well as the Abuja-Kaduna rail projects, as the Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Oknojo-Iweala, yesterday undertook an on-the-spot assessment of the level of work at the various project sites.

This came even as China expressed satisfaction with the way the federal government has so far utilised the loan from the China NEXIM Bank for the execution of the projects.

The minister who embarked on the inspection tour along with some top officials of the federal government and Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), expressed satisfaction with the level of work done so far on the projects.

On the airport project, she said the federal government was looking forward to completing a terminal comparable in standard to those in other climes, and capable of eliciting pride in Nigerians.

``My impression on the progress is very good, the work is going on well and the terminal is 30 per cent completed. I am quite excited as you can see because what I saw up there is quite impressive. The quality seems solid and the design looks good.

``The federal government took a loan of $500 million from the NEXIM Bank of the Chinese government to construct modern terminals in the country. We have four terminals that are going to be financed from this money. They include Abuja, Lagos, Kano and Port-Harcourt,’’ she said.
Okonjo-Iweala, who also gave her impression on the rail projects, said what she saw surpassed her expectation, noting that the quality of work she saw would endure.

“They have explained to me how they will be working in phases for the project and God willing, by May next year, we will be riding on it. What we had borrowed was $500 million, but they had started work before then and we had already paid $162 million before the loan was approved,” she said.

She added: “This is not just about borrowing money, it is about a relationship between China and Nigeria, and for this segment, we have already borrowed what is needed to complete this section. I think they are likely to complete this work as projected since they have divided it into sections and I have been looking at the finances to see how much they have spent and where we are on the project.’’

In his remarks, the Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Gu Xiaojie, expressed the commitment of the Chinese government to the partnership, assuring that China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) was also committed to completing the project.

``Best quality is assured for the project and CCECC is also undertaking the project and are undergoing training programme and employing local workforce for the project. It is a very good project and the Nigerian government is making very good use of the Chinese loan.

``I think from what I have seen, it is going on very well, they are constructing according to the standard and I think we will finish this on time,’’ the envoy said.

The Director, Rail and Mass Transit, Federal Ministry of Transport, Mr. Gafai Bature, said the national rail was at 84 per cent completion and would be ready for commissioning by the President in December.

``The Idu station is the first station and one can come here and take a train to Kaduna within a maximum of one hour. The train speed is about 150 kilometre per hour. We are hoping that by December, new locomotives will arrive to carry passengers within the FCT.

``The light rail is like a city train within the FCT and its environs but the national rail is a heavy gauge train that carries passengers and goods. The national rail is segmented into six. After this, we will embark on Lagos to Ibadan, Lagos to Ilorin, Ilorin to Minna, Minna to Abuja and Minna to Kano,” he said.

Bature added that the first stage of the project covered 186 kilometres from Idu to Kaduna, putting the total project cost at $849 million.

Also, the Secretary for Transportation, FCT, Mr. Jonathan Ivoke, said the project was on course

`` We are on course, you can see the infrastructure, the materials are on ground and everything is on track, we are sure we are going to complete it. In terms of financing, we do not have any problem and the FCT budget and SURE-P funding is going on so we do not have any problem,’’ he said

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/okonjo-iweala-lauds-abuja-rail-airport-terminal-projects/184500/

5 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by kultimate009: 7:28am On Jul 25, 2014
Super Story.... I weep for this country....

2 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Decibel: 7:29am On Jul 25, 2014
GEJ Till 2019

18 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by fingard02k(m): 7:35am On Jul 25, 2014
hmm
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by YoursGEJ(m): 7:37am On Jul 25, 2014
story story....story
Once upon a time...time time
Children that is the end of the story.

Q: What did you learn from the story?

GEJ supporters: GEJ till 2019!! grin grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 25, 2014
Ngozi. .. lol, anytym I see that woman, she looks like an over pampered Ajebutter.

I know she's intelligent before you all start condemning me. cheesy

GEJ dey try sha..

8 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by VocalWalls: 7:39am On Jul 25, 2014
We all do

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by deri4luv1(m): 7:40am On Jul 25, 2014
GEJ is working, some people are hating! Continue your Good works Bro!!! GEJ till 2022 jooooor!

14 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Burnaaboi(m): 7:41am On Jul 25, 2014
Okonjo iweala.....ur days are numbered in that office..(dont qoute me o...i did not mean dat she wud die o)

blood of God dis is my second front page in 2mins...*dancing aye under d rain*oboi na brace be dat
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 25, 2014
Fresh air must reach everybody grin

3 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 25, 2014
GEJ is working !
The supporters of APC are talking!
Go get a lfe APC!

6 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by ojeffo: 7:42am On Jul 25, 2014
Abeg oo...abi no foto journalist follow am go do d on d spot kini?

THROW US PISHO JOORR
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Chibuke56: 7:43am On Jul 25, 2014
Yes naija getting better
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Emmaomotob(m): 7:44am On Jul 25, 2014
Follow #womenagainstfeminism as more and more women continue to denounce feminism here in America.
A person tweeted 'I was happy preparing tea for my husband until feminism told me not to'
Another said 'Feminism wants to use us to advance their political agenda and want us to support Hilary Clinton for president'
One said 'How am I supposed to open jars and heavy objects If not for my husband,I am greatful for our differences '
Another said we are not equal,our differences are for a particular reason
Yet another said feminism wants women to play victim and see men as abusers.
But feminists have said they will continue to fight for them

1 Like

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by BrAkingNews: 7:44am On Jul 25, 2014
g

Watch How EFCC Officials Track Down Suspected Yahoo Big Boys In Lagos
>>> http://www./entertainment/efcc-officials-track-down-suspected-yahoo-big-boys-in-lagos/
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by disloman(m): 7:44am On Jul 25, 2014
Sincere9gerian: The Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Oknojo-Iweala, made this known yesterday as she undertook an on-the-spot assessment of Airport and railway projects
Bros!No pix to support d. Claim ni?Na wa oooooo.Bros!go back n bring d pix or na lie.

1 Like

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by shadowwalker101: 7:45am On Jul 25, 2014
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Will corruption allow it
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by rattlesnake(m): 7:45am On Jul 25, 2014
Witch of endor
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by emmiej: 7:45am On Jul 25, 2014
Transformation till 2019...if u don't like it...Do the needful...Go and Die...
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Bigcake: 7:50am On Jul 25, 2014
kultimate009: Super Story.... I weep for this country....
It's too early to exhibit stupidity.

2 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by BrAkingNews: 7:51am On Jul 25, 2014
alright
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by tegamarro(m): 7:51am On Jul 25, 2014
WHO CARES undecided
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by saintandsinnerz: 7:52am On Jul 25, 2014

weep for yourself, don't weep for Nigeria. You are the kind of person that doesn't see anything good in any good thing. Bro change your mindset

3 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by jayseehe(m): 7:52am On Jul 25, 2014
you weep for good news

I guess bad news will make you laugh and feel better

@topic, I hope this isn't one if GEJ's empty promises?

2 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Yahzeelv(m): 7:52am On Jul 25, 2014
9ice One
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by LaurelP(m): 7:52am On Jul 25, 2014
Dat is if Naija will still be existing by then
Do sth abt dis insurgency u clueless mo*ron
Nonsense
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 25, 2014
Fresh air...!!
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by omenka(m): 7:53am On Jul 25, 2014
Last time I checked:

- Boko Haram and terrorism is supposed to be a thing of the past.
- Power outage is supposed to be a thing of the past.
- Gas flaring is supposed to be history.
- Piracy and pipeline vandalism is supposed to be dead and buried.

No one needs a prophet to tell them where things appear to be or are heading!!

3 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 25, 2014
Come to think of it, can she harbour a contrary opinion?

1 Like

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by imdolufemi: 7:57am On Jul 25, 2014
I must commend d GEJ administration for the speed and quality of work on the light rail projects, I've seen it 1st hand and its truly laudable. Can't wait to have a ride smiley

5 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 by cornelin(m): 7:58am On Jul 25, 2014
丅尺丹几ち下◯尺爪丹丅工◯几

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why APC Is Afraid Of Atiku – PDP / Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 / Things Buhari Must Do Before December – Ikokwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.