Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,251 members, 7,780,520 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:49 PM

Brief History Of Nnewi - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Brief History Of Nnewi (38084 Views)

Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) / Brief History Of NDOKWA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by modhream: 7:04pm On Aug 13, 2015
Radoillo:

I'm visiting family in my home town, Awka, and I found copies in the state library there. They wouldn't lend me a copy because I'm not fully registered, and I won't be here long enough to fully register.

If I have time sha, I'll pop in there before I leave town, make some notes and post here. I find the careers of some of the Obis and the wars Nnewi fought with there neighbours particularly interesting. Hope to share some of those.
Cool.
You do that.Of late,I've been interested in the Isu relationship between Igbouzo of old and Nnewi,especially Uruagu.An interest more piqued by what's this author's name again? C.N Ugochukwu.
Too much of a coincidence Igbouzo is known as Isu fulu ogu ju nni and my ancestor,Eze Afuogu,also went by that.
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 13, 2015
modhream:

Cool.
You do that.Of late,I've been interested in the Isu relationship between Igbouzo of old and Nnewi,especially Uruagu.An interest more piqued by what's this author's name again? C.N Ugochukwu.
Too much of a coincidence Igbouzo is known as Isu fulu ogu ju nni and my ancestor,Eze Afuogu,also went by that.

Oh, you are descended from the Obis of Uruagu? Interesting. Yes, the Isu connection between Nnewi and Igbouzo is interesting. Sadly, I haven't read C. N. Ugochukwu's book. It was in my school's University bookshop years ago, but back then I had little interest in history beyond the history of my town.

The Isu founder of Igbouzo was called Umejei, which is interesting, because I noticed in John Alutu's book that a lot of people in Nnewi's early history had the prefix 'Ume' in their names. I'm convinced it was some of the aboriginal Isu elements in Uruagu who fled during the Isu dispersal that crossed the Niger and founded Igbouzo. I'm not sure mainstream historians have fully recognized this yet because they keep writing that Umejei came from the Isu north of Awka (Isu-Anaocha).

But, bro, let me ask oh, what was the beef with Oraifite in those old days? grin More than half of the wars you guys fought back then was with Oraifite? Aren't you guys supposed to be siblings? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by modhream: 11:04pm On Aug 13, 2015
Radoillo:

Oh, you are descended from the Obis of Uruagu? Interesting. Yes, the Isu connection between Nnewi and Igbouzo is interesting. Sadly, I haven't read C. N. Ugochukwu's book. It was in my school's University bookshop years ago, but back then I had little interest in history beyond the history of my town.

The Isu founder of Igbouzo was called Umejei, which is interesting, because I noticed in John Alutu's book that a lot of people in Nnewi's early history had the prefix 'Ume' in their names. I'm convinced it was some of the aboriginal Isu elements in Uruagu who fled during the Isu dispersal that crossed the Niger and founded Igbouzo. I'm not sure mainstream historians have fully recognized this yet because they keep writing that Umejei came from the Isu north of Awka (Isu-Anaocha).

But, bro, let me ask oh, what was the beef with Oraifite in those old days? grin More than half of the wars you guys fought back then was with Oraifite? Aren't you guys supposed to be siblings? cheesy
Those weren't really wars per se,let's say communal conflicts.Uruagu needed land to expand.
My ancestors,the Obis of Uruagu,were descended from a daughter of Isu,Nnewi's brother,so the tale went.When Isu's house went on exile,the nwadiana had to hold the homestead,especially from Digbo (Otolo's father and Nnewi's second or third son)and his sons intent on encroaching.He succeeded in uniting Nnewi's younger sons,especially Edoji and rallying them to his cause.That eventually led to the establishment of Uruagu as a quarter.
Having no inheritance of his own,coupled with Isu's household gradually returning from exile,the new Obis of Uruagu needed to expand and the only place to look is Ifite's uninhabited inheritance.Eze Em merely pushed Oraifite farther down than they would have been now,wasn't really something serious.As tradition on both sides has it,blood wasn't spilled.My grandmother was from Ifite,btw.Of course,Otolo lent support seeing as it will take the focus of expansionist Eze Em,Afuogu's son and successor,off the then prevailing supremacy battle in Nnewi.You do realize the Otolo quarter and hence the Igwe are not descended from Nnewi's first son,NneÁlà,don't you?.But no,most our real battles then weren't with bloodkin or we would have gone on exile again.Spilling blood of kin,whether unintentional or not,is an abomination against the earth goddess Ana,Edo herself and Ezemewi.
Oh,Umeh isn't a name really but a class of ozo title in Nnewi.There are four classes:Eze,Umeh,Dunu/Dim and Dala.Basically equal,but slightly different requirements for taking them.An ozo titleholder has his class of title prefixed to his ozo name.E.g,UmeOzuligbo,EzeOdumegwu,UmeOgujiofor,DunuIfudu,Umejei(UmeEjei) and so on.
Anybody from my village can easily pick out my umunna's name from those examples,as we're the ruling family there.

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Antivirus92(m): 8:03am On Aug 14, 2015
Handsomegod:
[color=#006600][/color] Bros did I just read where u said the settler's name in Anaedo was Mmaku? Goodness! That's the name of my town in Awgu local govt area in Enugu state! My town history had it that our progenitor(Mmaku Ezeani) was a mobile hunter who came from Awka-Agulu axis in the early 16th Century and settled there with his 4 wives and subsequently spread out. I don't doubt a connection because I have a very deep conviction my roots are in Anambra state and a certain metaphysical affinity I build naturally with Anmbrarians convinced me am right.
It would appear then that the Anaedo area had early contacts with the Ukwuani area. Because according to Nnewi traditions, there was a man from Ndoni (same general area as Aboh) who settled in Nnewi about the 16th c. I think his name was given as Mmaku. I don't now remember the details of that tradition, but I think Nnewi traces its monarchy from him. Its been a while I read about it.

The tradition and many other details about Nnewi history and culture can be found in John Alutu's book "Groundwork of Nnewi History". An excellent book. I found copies years ago at the College of Health Sciences Library in Okofia, Otolo-Nnewi.
you're right bro....I have a feeling inside me that igboland are a group of d same moving and settling to and fro. it pains me hearing all these Bini,igala etc founding places in igboland. how can people that we absorbed be our founders and rewrite our history for us?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by blackmercyvelli(m): 3:41pm On Dec 14, 2015
Sealeddeal:
Nnewi is the second largest city in Anambra State in southeastern Nigeria. Nnewi as a metropolitan city encompasses two local government areas, Nnewi North and Nnewi South; Nnewi North is commonly referred to as Nnewi central, and
comprises four autonomous quarters: Otolo, Uruagu, Umudim, and Nnewi-ichi. Nnewi North also
includes Ichi, an autonomous neighbouring town.
The first indigenous car manufacturing plant in Nigeria is located in the city [3] while the first wholly made-in-Nigeria motorcycle, the 'NASENI M1' was manufactured in Nnewi.[4] As of 2006, Nnewi has an estimated population of
391,227 according to the Nigerian census. The city spans over 1,076.9 square miles (2,789 km2) in Anambra State.[5] Nnewi Metropolitan Area and its satellite towns is home to nearly 2.5 million
residents As of 2005. Dimensionally, Nnewi has an
edge over all other units, being recognized by the
1953 census figures as the largest inland town of all others in the Eastern states of Nigeria.[6] History In Nnewi oral history and mythology, the 'ewi' (Igbo: bush rat) played a great role in saving the founders of Nnewi during wars. Throughout its history, Nnewi has used its military might to
maintain its borders and because of this, the killing
or eating of ewi in Nnewi is forbidden to the
present day. Nnewi existed as an independent
kingdom from the 15th century to 1904, when British colonial administration occupied the kingdom. Nnewi kingdom was founded on four quarters
(large villages), namely Otolo, Uruagu, Umudim, and Nnewichi. Each village was divided into family units
called 'umunna'. Each umunna had a first family known as the 'obi'.[7] These four quarters were these original names of
the Sons of Edo: Otolo being the elderest and
Nnewichi being the youngest of the sons.Obi of Nnewi The Place of Nnewi in Igbo History Originally when the Igbos or Ibos settled in the
present day Eastern Nigeria, they arrived with
three leader two were spiritual leaders and the
youngest of the three a hereditary King known as Obi a King by birthright. The first was the Eze Nri of Awka a Priest King, the second the Eze Aro of Arochukwu a Priest King and the third the Obi of Nnewi a political and war ruler. The Obi Nnewi enthroned the Obi of Onitsha as an Obi an upgrade from is former title Eze of Onitsha in the 1740s. The Obi of Onitsha was well qualified to become an Obi
being disputably the first among the two sons of
the Oba of Benin. The Onitsha people are visitors
and later settlers in Igbo land. The Aros know this history (Nnewi being a relation and a leader among
the Igbos) and this part of the reason there are no Aro settlements in Nnewi. The Obi of Nnewi Obi Okoli in1780s lost his stool when inside palace politics that hinged on tradition edged him out.
Traditional royal law had it that the Crown Prince
must perform the funeral rights of the late Obi
before he can be crowned, Obi Okoli was absent
and arrived home only after the late Obi Okoli 1st
was buried. His Uncle (The late Obi Okoli the 1st younger brother) performed the funeral rights in
his stead and took over as Igwe Nnewi he could not be enthroned as an Obi (which means the first
son). The Obi Okoli royal linage was forced into
exile, they got refuge at Umune-Alam in Umudim,
Nnewi where they still are to this day. The Obi Okoli
family still bears the Ofor Nnewi till this day. Edo is the supreme deity of all the Alusi (Igbo: deity) in the Anaedo country. The central shrine of
this unifying Alusi is at Nkwo Nnewi, the central
Market. There are four other deities in Nnewi: Ana,
Ezemewi, Eze and Ele. Christianity was introduced
by the Europeans in 1885 and many Nnewi people
now practise Christianity. Nnewi, Ichi and Oraifite made up the Anaedo state. Anaedo communities
have common ancestries, beliefs and traditional
value systems. Nnewi is a major trading and
manufacturing centre in Nigeria. Due to its high
commercial activities, the city has attracted
millions of migrants from other states and countries. The Ofala Nnewi is a cultural festival held every
year to celebrate the coronation of the Igwe of
Nnewi. Afiaolu ( New yam festival ) and Ikwuaru are also among traditional festivals held annually in
Nnewi. Nnewi Kingdom is also known as Anaedo
meaning the Land of Gold (The supreme deity and goddess of Nnewi).
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Igbodigr8: 12:07pm On Oct 24, 2016
pazienza:

Of course, i know that Mmaku according to Oraifite oral history, was the ancestor of the 3 Anaedo towns, in addition to a daughter named Isu.

I purposely left those details out.
which of Mmaku?
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by ejanla077: 7:23pm On Jul 01, 2021
Sealeddeal:
Politics Nnewi has contributed its fair share[clarification needed] of key players in Nigerian politics. A. A. Nwafor Orizu; president of the Nigerian Senate in the First Republic and later,
the Acting President before the first coup d’etat
of 1966, M.C.K. Ajuluchukwu; a nationalist, anti-
colonialist and first republic law-maker, Chief Z.C.
Obi (Onunekwuluigbo Igbo); First republic politician,
Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu, OBE, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu (Ikemba Nnewi); former military Governor of defunct Eastern Nigeria and
President of defunct Republic of Biafra, Comrade Dr. Edward Ikem Okeke ; Deputy President of the PRP and Special Adviser to the President (Second
Republic), Mr. F. C. Nwokedi; the first Nigerian
Permanent Secretary, Dr. Dozie Ikedife (Ikenga
Nnewi); former President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Professor A. B. C. Nwosu; Former Health Commissioner in East Central state and Anambra
state, respectively, Dr. Chu Okongwu; Former
Minister of Finance;Dr David Bennet Anagwu
Ofomata;The first Indigenous Medical Director,
Nigerian Railway Corporation, First CEO/Chairman
Anambra Health Management Board & Chairman old Nnewi LGA; Nnewi is also the ancestral home of prominent
Nigerians including the esteemed individuals listed
below. See (People). Economy Agbo Edo, a forest land which belonged to Edo Nnewi deity, was cleared to make way for a new
market called Nkwo Nnewi market. The
development of this market propelled the fast
development of the local economy. As a fast developing city and a major industrial and
commercial hub in Africa, Nnewi experiences voluminous financial activities, therefore hosts
major banks, and other financial institutions. Industries are dotted around the city and adjoining
towns. Palm oil, cosmetics, motor, and motorcycle spare parts, books, and stationeries, textiles,
electric cables, and so on are produced in
commercial quantity in the area. Its main trading
centers include Nkwo Nnewi market (the largest
spare parts market in west Africa) and Nwafor
market, Eke Amaobi market, Eke Ochie, Eke Ichi Market, Orie otube Market, etc. Agriculture and forestry The main occupation of Nnewi people is trading and
farming, therefore they depend mainly on agriculture and commerce for their daily livelihood. Most Nnewian have mbubo (home gardens) and ubi
(out-station gardens) were they usually cultivate
their farm products. These crops when they are harvested are usually taken to the market for sale. Most of the prime cash crops include oil palm, raffia
palm, groundnut, melon, cotton, cocoa, rubber,
maize, et cetera. Food crops such as yam, cassava,
cocoyam, breadfruit, and three-leaf yam are also
produced in large quantities. The location of Nnewi
within the tropical rainforest gives it the ecological basis for production of a wide range of tropical
agriculture crops with widespread potential for
industrial convention. Industries Nnewi is referred to as the Japan of Africa, it is
home to many major indigenous manufacturing
industries including Ibeto Group of Companies, Cutix
and ADswitch, Uru Industries Ltd, Omata Holdings
Ltd, Cento Group of Companies, Coscharis of
Companies Group, Innoson Group of Companies, Ebunso Nig. Ltd, John White Industries, Ejiamatu
Group of Companies, Chicason Group, Louis Carter
Group, etc. The great majority of industrialists in the cluster of spare parts factories in Nnewi are also
traders, and most of these traders are producing
one or more of the products they specialize in
marketing as traders (usually motor vehicle parts),
and most began by distributing their products
through their preexisting distribution networks. Nnewi is part of eastern Nigeria's industrial axis.
The town has through culturally grounded
institutions that act as sophisticated networks
expanded to include an international dimension
through trading relations with exporters from Asia.
Over the last decade, the town of Nnewi has experienced relatively rapid industrialization. In
excess of 20 medium-to-large-scale industries
have been established across a variety of sectors.
Since 1970, Nnewi residents have controlled
approximately 80 to 90 percent of the motor-parts
trade in Nigeria. Nkwo Nnewi Market is the major import and wholesale point for motor spare parts
in Nigeria. The industrialists of Nnewi are adapting
foreign technology to local needs, providing
employment to thousands, and making available
goods and services which are relevant actual
needs of the Nigerian citizens. The first indigenous car manufacturing plant is located in the city, while
the first wholly Made-in-Nigeria motorcycle was
manufactured in Nnewi by the National Agency for
Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI).
Nnewi north does not include Ichi.

Ịchị is in ekwusigo local government
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by ejanla077: 7:31pm On Jul 01, 2021
modhream:
Was waiting on poster to post his link before countering most of the inaccuracies already noticed in his post,but........ Ichi town is in Ekwusigo LGA not Nnewi North from whence they were carved out along with Oraifite.
Nnewi,Isu,Oraifite n Ichi are reckoned to be sons of same parents,Ikenga and Nmaku,some history versions reckon the man's name to be Nmaku n is silent on the wife's name.Ikenga n Nmaku,according to Oral history,were the original founders of the settlement later known as Nnewi,from whence Ichi n Oraifite dispersed to found their own holdings.Isu's sons/grandsons/descendant were said to have gone on ritual exile due to a murder/manslaughter in the family from whence only a part returned n were absorbed in what is Uruagu today.Others were said to have settled in such places as Igbouzo,Ogwashi n other parts of Anambra n Imo states today (don't know how true that part of the story is)
Also note,Nnewi never had an Obi Nnewi.What we've always had are the four Obis of Otolo,Uruagu,Umudim n Nnewi-ichi of which the Obi Otolo is primus hence Igwe Nnewi.The titles of Obi Otolo n Igwe Nnewi go hand in hand,they cannot be separated.
Again,the four quarters are not villages,but communities that can stand alone in themselves but being of same ancestry remain one community.
Each quarter is made up of several villages,each village in turn made up of several Umunnas.Yes,the lead family in each umunna holds the obi of such umunna while the lead family of the lead umunna provides the obi of the village.
The assembly of the obis of a quarter's villages,along with certain title-holders constitute the Ime-Obi of such quarter,with the quarter Obi presiding.
The four Obis,along with certain Nnewi-wide titleholders make up the Igwe-in-Council.
All traditional posts are hereditary.
The highest decision-making/legislative body is Nzuko-Ora Nnewi,an assemblage of adult males,elders,priests n titleholders.
It can be said that Nnewi has been running a federal structure centuries before Nigeria ever thought of it.
Thanks. They should also note that the Obi of Otolo and igwe of Nnewi do not have jurisdiction outside Otolo... He will have to rely on Obi of Uruagu and the rest towns for any correspondence

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People / Ooni Ogunwusi Dances At RCCG In Washington D.C - Photos / "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.