Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,469 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

Difference Between Center And Centre - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between Center And Centre (37818 Views)

The Difference Between An Alligator And A Crocodile / Jamb 2015:shrare Ur Dates,time, AND Centre Of Examination / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by hayoakins(m): 8:29am On Jul 26, 2014
MSword Autocorrect confused am cheesy.

Your question has been answered. US vs UK but Naija favours UK's as we adopted their educational whatever Which was a follow out of the colonial era.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by sarutobie(m): 8:31am On Jul 26, 2014
AdeniyiA: "center" refers to d middle of something. while "centre" refers to "a place of OR a place for. eg "centre for continue education "
to think that this post got over 40 likes..if I talk say 'dundees' full nairaland e go be like say na insult.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by samplegirl(f): 8:32am On Jul 26, 2014
AdeniyiA: "center" refers to d middle of something. while "centre" refers to "a place of OR a place for. eg "centre for continue education "

Why not say what you are sure of?

Maybe you help us too with the difference ''colour and color''

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by nikkyshyne(f): 8:33am On Jul 26, 2014
mezebel: the dude is 100percent correct....centre which is more of central, is a place eg, ibeku central school school aba which simply means a central place for education. Then center in other hand means d center of anything eg, center table,center parting. The meaning ,spelling and usage are quit different my dear. For examination venue,use centre.thanks
You so wrong buddy. Centre, center, central all means the same thing. Centre is simply American while the other is british. Using Central depends on the context involved.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by emmabest2000(m): 8:34am On Jul 26, 2014
ghettodreamz:

@OP, stated above is what you're looking for.
na lie dude .. The difference is only spelling .. The meaning is the same
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by poiZon: 8:35am On Jul 26, 2014
its like the op is politically inclined so needs the explanation based on political point of view. make i knack am n possibly illustrate wif examples. CENTRE is PDP while CENTER is APC.
egs ...... MUAzu the current pdp chairman centre's his power n sovereignty on the people and believes that come 2015 pdp SHALL retain its mandate n continue to stabilize the economy.
lai mohaMMAD center's his beliefs on propaganda which he thinks its a great tool to wrestle power from pdp come next year general election. op na d koko be dis! n the house say AYE....... the ayes' havit

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by nikkyshyne(f): 8:36am On Jul 26, 2014
Libkid: u just nailed it
Nailed wetin Indeed!!!
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Timijo(m): 8:41am On Jul 26, 2014
Ezedon: Center is where a guy insert joystick while centre is the place where the action took place, so the later is for examination
You have a polluted mind. Is this the only thing you can contribute to the topic? It is not by force to reply out of a corrupt mind if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by alabiyemmy(m): 8:44am On Jul 26, 2014
I wonder How some people made IT past primary School.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by mezebel(f): 8:58am On Jul 26, 2014
nikkyshyne: You so wrong buddy. Centre, center, central all means the same thing. Centre is simply American while the other is british. Using Central depends on the context involved.
I refuse to make noise for what I know too well!!! What u don't knw is greater than u,wen u refuse to lean,it becomes ur grandfather and may eventually put u under d cloud,,,
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Alexsmith20(m): 8:59am On Jul 26, 2014
thats wrong.they both mean thesame thing.i go with center=US and centre=BRITISH.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Sylverbox(m): 9:05am On Jul 26, 2014
jaryeh: Centre is British while center is American. In Nigeria? Use Centre.
I remember one of my lecturers who will easily cancel your script at the sight of 'hemoglobin' instead of Haemoglobin! He said it was important we paid attention to details!
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by lanaVello1(m): 9:05am On Jul 26, 2014
nikkyshyne: You so wrong buddy. Centre, center, central all means the same thing. Centre is simply American while the other is british. Using Central depends on the context involved.
Actually "center" is American while centre is british.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by nikkyshyne(f): 9:08am On Jul 26, 2014
lanaVello1: Actually "center" is American while centre is british.
Yep Yep. My error.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by lanaVello1(m): 9:08am On Jul 26, 2014
alabiyemmy: I wonder How some people made IT past primary School.
I wonder if thi was taught in primary schools
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Libkid(m): 9:08am On Jul 26, 2014
nikkyshyne: Nailed wetin Indeed!!!
lmao just observing and learning from both the clueless ones and the brilliant ones
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by lanaVello1(m): 9:10am On Jul 26, 2014
mezebel: I refuse to make noise for what I know too well!!! What u don't knw is greater than u,wen u refuse to lean,it becomes ur grandfather and may eventually put u under d cloud,,,
what do you know too well? the middle/location distinction instead of the BRe/AMe thingy? smH
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Libkid(m): 9:10am On Jul 26, 2014
lanaVello1: I wonder if thi was taught in primary schools
you deserve an oscar for this question??
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by alabiyemmy(m): 9:13am On Jul 26, 2014
lanaVello1: I wonder if thi was taught in primary schools

And who said it was? With The type of comments from some people wont u wonder How they got past primary School?
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by ignis: 9:17am On Jul 26, 2014
I beg to disagree sir.

Both have thesame meaning and can be used in thesame context.
The difference is just that centre is british english while center is american english

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by lanaVello1(m): 9:18am On Jul 26, 2014
alabiyemmy:

And who said it was? With The type of comments from some people wont u wonder How they got past primary School?
lol,nah..i wont wonder how they got past primary school,i'd rather their sec skul..btw NLer comments can b heartbreaking at tyms..buh datz d fun joorh grin

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 26, 2014

This must be a joke.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by adanny01(m): 9:23am On Jul 26, 2014
wallex1983: Grammarians Oya Naa

Meter and Metre. Integrate pls

Same same.

American and British respectively.

Another one is tire and tyre.

Others are different but mean same such as;

Sedan and Saloon
Hood and Bonnet
Check and cheque
Gasoline and petrol
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by londoner: 9:23am On Jul 26, 2014

No, its the same meaning, just used in different countries.

In the UK, its centre, in the US its center. The US does not use the word centre. The UK does not use the word center, whether its for the middle of something or place.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by ignis: 9:28am On Jul 26, 2014

Are you kidding me?
You mean you got over 60 likes with this fallacy?
This is a pointer to the fact that Nairaland is filled with blockheads.

5 Likes

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by oparahchi(m): 9:34am On Jul 26, 2014
Uncle you are wrong. They both mean the same thing. The difference is one is American and the other British. They both mean same thing.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Enokelz: 9:35am On Jul 26, 2014
They are twins from different mumz....lolz

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 26, 2014
WRONG
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Xyge(m): 9:39am On Jul 26, 2014
jaryeh: Centre is British while center is American. In Nigeria? Use Centre.
yeah yeah... 'cause The Britains colonized us, uhn..
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by anitank(f): 9:41am On Jul 26, 2014
And many people actually liked (and many would still like) this comment for being correct grin grin grin

Explains a lot! cheesy
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by adanny01(m): 9:42am On Jul 26, 2014
Xyge:
yeah yeah... 'cause The Britains colonized us, uhn..

But we are gradually adopting some American spellings nowadays.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by elected(m): 9:44am On Jul 26, 2014
Having known the difference btw the spellings, I think is time to also clear the difference btw ADVICE and ADVISE.

as the first is noun while the later is verb

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'3.5m Per Term' Secondary School Reunion Turns Into Tale Of Woes About Nigeria / Is There A Course You Will Advise A Jambite Not To Study? / WAEC Result 2019 Statistics: Females Outshine Males

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.