Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

Difference Between Center And Centre - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between Center And Centre (37819 Views)

The Difference Between An Alligator And A Crocodile / Jamb 2015:shrare Ur Dates,time, AND Centre Of Examination / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by anitank(f): 9:44am On Jul 26, 2014
adanny01:

But we are gradually adopting some American spellings nowadays.
American spellings are usually easier and straight forward and you know we like shortcuts, but British English remains the best

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by sapientia(m): 9:46am On Jul 26, 2014
Both are correct.. But as a rule.. When writing.. You need to decide which to use american spellings or british.. Once you start with any.. Continue with it.. Once you switch.. Its wrong.. But mostly, what we use here in Nigeria is british.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by anitank(f): 9:47am On Jul 26, 2014
samplegirl:

Why not say what you are sure of?

Maybe you help us too with the difference ''colour and color''
Colour is the one that has paint

Color is the transparent one

I hope I answered you grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by thegeneral84: 10:06am On Jul 26, 2014
AdeniyiA: "center" refers to d middle of something. while "centre" refers to "a place of OR a place for. eg "centre for continue education "
"Center" is American English while "Centre" is British. Nowadays any can be used in writing but you must stick to one form and not mix both in the same composition.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 26, 2014
AdeniyiA: "center" refers to d middle of something. while "centre" refers to "a place of OR a place for. eg "centre for continue education "
nope!
Its d same word for both. Check ur dictionary

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by KENFERDYOORI(m): 10:13am On Jul 26, 2014
jaryeh: Centre is British while center is American. In Nigeria? Use Centre.

UR ANSWER SUFFICES. IF I MAY ADD, U MAY NOT BE PENALIZED WHEN WRITTING EXAMMINATION FOLLOWING A PARTICULAR PARTTERN. IF U WANT TO GO FOR BRITTISH USAGE, U ADOPT THAT THROUGH-OUT THAT EXAM PUTTING INTO CONSIDERATION OTHER RELATED BRITISH DICTIONS LIKE: COLOUR. MITRE, HONOUR ETC.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Burger01(m): 10:15am On Jul 26, 2014
EOD.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by KENFERDYOORI(m): 10:28am On Jul 26, 2014
annoymous: Despite the face that you are in Nigeria, you can use either, not necessarily the British English version but whichever one you choose you have to use consistently in your writing and can't keep switching between British and American English.
U'RE CORRECT, JUST THAT U USED 'FACE' INSTEAD OF 'FACT' TANX

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Abbey2sam(m): 10:31am On Jul 26, 2014

wrong....

centre is British spelling
while center is America spelling

and for INFORMATION, they both mean the same thing

please can you help us differentiate color and colour
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Abbey2sam(m): 10:37am On Jul 26, 2014
ghettodreamz:

@OP, stated above is what you're looking for.

use your dictionary often please
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by mytym(m): 10:45am On Jul 26, 2014

You are brilliant grin

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by mytym(m): 10:53am On Jul 26, 2014
anitank:
American spellings are usually easier and straight forward and you know we like shortcuts, but British English remains the best

Correct!....One can't be more English than the Englishman, same way one can't be more Catholic than the Pope.
So Brit. English is The English, the language of England...all other english tongues are the works of men including AmR. English!grin grin
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 26, 2014
If U Are Using America English And U Use Center, U Are Right. But If U Are Using British English Which We Use In Nigeria And U Use Center Instead Of Centre, U Are Wrong

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Horlufemi(m): 11:38am On Jul 26, 2014
There is English (US) and English (UK). They have different spellings for some words that mean the same. In Nigeria please use UK English in formal writing. I guess we should even have English (Nigeria) sef.
mytym:
You are brilliant grin
mytym:
You are brilliant grin
he is lacking in brilliance.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by londoner: 11:40am On Jul 26, 2014
[quote author=calddon]
Americans aint got time for those elongated British spellings. they love things easy. just the same way its easier to live in America than in England.
English men love protocol.[/quot

The English recognise the root of the word. Americans spell according to the sound of the word, generally ignoring the root word/meaning.
The word centre comes from old Latin or Greek, ie the word centrum (notice the "tr" in the root word)? The Americans spell that the same as the British, I think.

I think Americans make it up as they go along......lol Why is centrum not spelled centerum then?
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by londoner: 11:45am On Jul 26, 2014
Xyge:
yeah yeah... 'cause The Britains colonized us, uhn..

The British colonized America too.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 26, 2014
DollyParton1: I believe some questions shouldn't be asked. This is an example of such question, just consult your dictionary.
we learn every day. and I know so many persons don't know it even here in this forum.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by ghettodreamz(m): 11:51am On Jul 26, 2014
Abbey2sam:

use your dictionary often please

I think you need it more than I do. The OP simply asked which one is right connoting an examination venue, and the explanation I'd quoted explained it well, as far as Nigeria's context and our English which is British is concerned. The OP is a Nigerian I assume, and you wouldn't expect her to use the American English as one.

In addition, I never faulted other comments as regarding the subject matter; hence, your comment in quote above is gratuitous.

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by calddon(m): 11:58am On Jul 26, 2014
[quote author=londoner][/quote]ur user name says it all.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by imarrpopson: 12:04pm On Jul 26, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by 1stola: 12:14pm On Jul 26, 2014
Damlesky: can't you just check your dictionary undecided why is everybody opening thread just to ask silly questions mtcheeew angry angry angry
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jul 26, 2014
How do topics like this make FP?

Lemme guess....

Same way incompetent thieves are appointed top public office holders.

Ah ah! A dictionary or google can easily answer this question na. Why bring it 2 FP? Seun hope u're seeing all these o cos d kinda topics I see on FP nowadays, me I no kon understand again
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Revolva(m): 12:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
Omo I dey use any one wey enter ma brain
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by londoner: 12:33pm On Jul 26, 2014
calddon: ur user name says it all.

Yep.........
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by epospiky(m): 12:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
The difference is only the spelling. Aside that, they're the same in meaning. One(centre) is british while the other(center) is american and so you being Nigerian, the british one should be your choice as the british english is the nigerian's official.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by samplegirl(f): 12:42pm On Jul 26, 2014
anitank:
Colour is the one that has paint

Color is the transparent one

I hope I answered you grin tongue

I pity any pupil in your classroom!
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by greall1: 12:49pm On Jul 26, 2014
No. Stop twist Our brain.

Centre is British spelling while center is American Spelling. Nigeria colonized by the British the correct spelling is Centre.

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Godwit1: 1:27pm On Jul 26, 2014
NICE ONE
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by JayKayMaybachz(m): 1:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
Originally, everyone spelled it centre , but because
of Noah Webster's spelling reforms, people in
the US started spelling it center , particularly in
the last century. Although the revised spelling
center has been adopted internationally to varying
extents, centre is still more popular in most
regions. But regardless of how you spell it, it's
the same word, so it has the same meaning either
way.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by lancee(m): 1:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
There is no difference , center used by Americans and centre used by the British

Just like cheque used by Nigerians and british and check used by the Americans

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Summary Of Jamb Novel "Sweet Sixteen" By Bolaji Abdullai / '3.5m Per Term' Secondary School Reunion Turns Into Tale Of Woes About Nigeria / Is There A Course You Will Advise A Jambite Not To Study?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.