Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War (28795 Views)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Gbaramatu Kingdom Was created as Government Refuge Camp During Biafra Civil War / Picture Of Asaba Area 40years After The Civil War. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by ba7man(m): 10:01am On Jul 26, 2014
NAIJASOM: The irony of life;

Most of the surviving children have grown up and living in mansions while the children of those who fought against them are suffering in poverty.

"Destiny can be delayed but can never be denied"
Did you put trackers on those kids to trace them to their mansions??

5 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Feedmemore(f): 10:04am On Jul 26, 2014
The question is, did Nigeria become better after the war? 44yrs after the guns went silent, are we better off? Are we building a nation based on equity, justice, religious freedom, economic prosperity?

3 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by pazienza(m): 10:05am On Jul 26, 2014
onitshaigbo: I declare in Jesus' name that never again will we Igbos suffer defeat!
We are Jews and Biafra will rise as a powerful, prosperous, and independent nation just like our fellow Jews in Israel!
If the rest of Nigeria tries to attack us, we will lay waste to Abuja and Kano like Israel is doing to Gaza.

We must be vigilant and we must not forget that we are surrounded by Enemies who wouldn't hesitate to be bring death to our door steps, we must not allow them go scot free for any Evil they bring to our door steps,we must bring 10x of it to theirs.

Most importantly, we must never stop being Biafrans at heart, though we be known as law abiding Nigerians at present, our loyalty should be to mother Biafra.

Achebe was a Biafran at heart, and was addressed as a Nigerian by the world, no wise Igbo man would associate Biafra with illiteracy,as most one Nigerian pseudo igbo intellectuals tend to do, cos none of them are wiser than Achebe,who died a Biafran at heart.

6 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by robosky02(m): 10:07am On Jul 26, 2014
never pray for war.

at least if you see the footage of biafran way your prayer point will change

click on the link below to see moree picture of the biafran war

https://www.nairaland.com/582396/biafra-nigerian-civil-war-pictures

2 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Kponkwem(m): 10:21am On Jul 26, 2014
cruise14: It's unfortunate that the refugees back then are now claiming to be the owners of a place once set up as shelter and refugee camp for them.

You are so dunce, so you don't know about the indigenous Igbos, the Aniomas in Delta? Which planet did you fall from that you do not know that Chukwuma Nzeogwu, leader of the first coup and other Biafran commanders such as Col Nwawo, Achuzia are from this vibrant part of Igboland?

Are you ignorant of the fact that the front-runners in next year's governoship election such as Ifeanyi Okowa, Victor Onyedikachi Ochei, Ndudim Elumelu, Ngozi Olejem, Peter Eloka Okocha, Pat Onyedinachi Utomi etc are all from this part?
Smh for dirty ignorance

6 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Leibnitz: 10:27am On Jul 26, 2014
They starved the Igbos, looted their properties, and the treacherous Awo and his puppetry General Gowon embarked on their wicked.Indigenization policy to scheme out the Igbos from owning a single company during that era. Thank God he died miserably angry

6 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by jaybee(f): 10:28am On Jul 26, 2014
Smartsyn: Some men adviced Gowon to close the Cameroonian borders so as to prevent food and other relief materials from entering the Biafran territory and eventually many women and children were starved to death.

God ll forever punish those men, even in their death..

who advised ojukwu not to cut supply to the north? I mean why didn't ojukwu "prevent food and other relief materials from entering" the north also ?

3 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by zendy: 10:29am On Jul 26, 2014
A lot of people make ignorant comments on Nairaland. I was born after the war and so was not a living witness to it but that did not stop me from reading books and researching about it. I also got first hand accounts about the war from my mother who was a refugee in camp similar to the one in these pictures and my father who was a captain in the Biafran army. I know all about the war. The important question to ask is "why was the war fought?" The counter-coup of 1966 saw northern officers rise and butcher any Eastern Nigerian officer or soldier they could lay their hands on but that didn't stop there. Easterners were butchered across the north and western region. Ojukwu was then military Governor of Eastern Nigeria. Ojukwu told Gowon to stop the killings but he didn't. Ojukwu even encouraged the Easterners who ran back home to return to the north only for them to be killed in greater numbers. Ojukwu sat down with Gowon in Aburi,Ghana and discussed the escalating crises and they came up with an agreement called the 'Aburi Accord' that would bring peace and keep Nigeria as one. Gowon signed this agreement only to return to Lagos and turn his back on it. With easterners being massacred in their thousands all over Nigeria,what would anyone expect Ojukwu to do? He did what he could to bring peace but it didn't work. How many of you would have stood by and watched your own being killed in the name of 'one Nigeria'? Ojukwu did the only thing any sane man would have done to protect his people after all peace initiatives by him had failed and that was to ask his people to return home and declared Biafra. Biafra was about the right of a people to self determination,freedom of association and the right to protect ones life and property. If any of us had been Ojukwu,we too would have declared Biafra. The war followed and the only reason that Nigeria defeated Biafra was the overwhelming support it got from super powers such as Britain and Russia. I want to add that it was the God given right of anyone or a people to decide if they want to be Nigerians or not,you can't force someone to be Nigerian. The war was fought for one single reason. For the oil resources of Eastern Nigeria. That's all it was, the northerners need the economic resources of the people of the South-east and South-south like fish needs water. Anyone who believes that the northerners and their Yoruba collaborators fought this war because of the 'everlasting love' they have for the Igbos and the people of the SS is a fool. 2 million people died,millions more suffered and for what? To give northerners and Yorubas control over the rest of Nigeria for 40 years. Look at the Nigeria they presided over,a country riddled with corruption,incompetence,porverty and insecurity. This is the so called dream of 'one Nigeria'? I pray that there will not be another war in Nigeria but we all know that Nigeria is living on 'borrowed time'. We will all go our different ways in peace or in pieces.

19 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by olorunmomakhe(m): 10:43am On Jul 26, 2014
Cant just imagin what those children passed through!!! So sad embarassed cry
Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by jaybee(f): 10:47am On Jul 26, 2014
zendy: A lot of people make ignorant comments on Nairaland. I was born after the war and so was not a living witness to it but that did not stop me from reading books and researching about it. I also got first hand accounts about the war from my mother who was a refugee in camp similar to the one in these pictures and my father who was a captain in the Biafran army. I know all about the war. The important question to ask is "why was the war fought?" The counter-coup of 1966 saw northern officers rise and butcher any Eastern Nigerian officer or soldier they could lay their hands on but that didn't stop there. Easterners were butchered across the north and western region. Ojukwu was then military Governor of Eastern Nigeria. Ojukwu told Gowon to stop the killings but he didn't. Ojukwu even encouraged the Easterners who ran back home to return to the north only for them to be killed in greater numbers. Ojukwu sat down with Gowon in Aburi,Ghana and discussed the escalating crises and they came up with an agreement called the 'Aburi Accord' that would bring peace and keep Nigeria as one. Gowon signed this agreement only to return to Lagos and turn his back on it. With easterners being massacred in their thousands all over Nigeria,what would anyone expect Ojukwu to do? He did what he could to bring peace but it didn't work. How many of you would have stood by and watched your own being killed in the name of 'one Nigeria'? Ojukwu did the only thing any sane man would have done to protect his people after all peace initiatives by him had failed and that was to ask his people to return home and declared Biafra. Biafra was about the right of a people to self determination,freedom of association and the right to protect ones life and property. If any of us had been Ojukwu,we too would have declared Biafra. The war followed and the only reason that Nigeria defeated Biafra was the overwhelming support it got from super powers such as Britain and Russia. I want to add that it was the God given right of anyone or a people to decide if they want to be Nigerians or not,you can't force someone to be Nigerian. The war was fought for one single reason. For the oil resources of Eastern Nigeria. That's all it was, the northerners need the economic resources of the people of the South-east and South-south like fish needs water. Anyone who believes that the northerners and their Yoruba collaborators fought this war because of the 'everlasting love' they have for the Igbos and the people of the SS is a fool. 2 million people died,millions more suffered and for what? To give northerners and Yorubas control over the rest of Nigeria for 40 years. Look at the Nigeria they presided over,a country riddled with corruption,incompetence,porverty and insecurity. This is the so called dream of 'one Nigeria'? I pray that there will not be another war in Nigeria but we all know that Nigeria is living on 'borrowed time'. We will all go our different ways in peace or in pieces.

You tried; but did not get the gist. Ojukwu wanted to be head of state. by all means, including sacrificing a section of the country in a needless and unwarranted war, even a child would know Ojukwu can not win. the igbos fought a foolish war for pride and got the un-mistaken result. its no use trying to reconstruct history now. lets all learn a lesson on wild goose chase.

8 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Kponkwem(m): 10:52am On Jul 26, 2014
seunmsg:

I wish people like Asari Dokubo who have been beating the drum of war can go view the civil war picture archive and see the destruction and carnage that took place then. People who have witnessed real war and the resultant suffering will never wish their country to go through such again. War should never be an option to settle political differences. Nigerians really need to wise up and protect the unity and peaceful coexistence of this country.

What you fail to understand is that every ethnic nationality has inalienable rights to self determination. If not for the quest for revenge and oil, Nigeria would not have bothered to stop Biafra.

There were exercaberting factors to Nigeria's sustenance then, going by the hateful rethorics of leaders in various regions before the conflict. Even now some people are still inflaming passions thinking Nigeria only exists for the few elites. Be that as it may, the lessons of the war is for both the winner and loser.

Fear mongering cannot sustain injustice for too long. Agitators like Asari Dokubo are demanding greater share in their God-given resources. Period. I believe there will be a time soon when nationalities will be allowed to vote for their freedom as Scotland is presently doing in Britain. That may be post-oil Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 26, 2014
It was a war originated by d igbos.....d head of state den had 2 look 4 means 2 win....no room 4 malice...dats y dis country remains as tattered as it is.....if we dnt work 2gether, somethn worse wuld befall us again
Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by robosky02(m): 10:55am On Jul 26, 2014
by the way manck

what made you to wake up by 1 am in the night to remember brafran war
Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Leibnitz: 10:59am On Jul 26, 2014
Awo, Gowon and the Abokis their slavemasters and their generation unborn shall never be forgiven for these atrocities they committed against Ndigbo until they atone for their sins. The blood of the innocents are still crying over the country angry

3 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by saintikechi(m): 11:01am On Jul 26, 2014
Smartsyn: Some men adviced Gowon to close the Cameroonian borders so as to prevent food and other relief materials from entering the Biafran territory and eventually many women and children were starved to death.

God is punishing d north already

3 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Atk1nson(m): 11:03am On Jul 26, 2014
Idiataqueen: ÊxçÛ$Ê mÊ ωât dÎd mý bÖ$$Öm gÖt tÖ dÖ ωÎth dÎ$ th®Êâd sad

unfortunately dis post made me confirm it. Hmmmm
Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Leibnitz: 11:04am On Jul 26, 2014
zendy: A lot of people make ignorant comments on Nairaland. I was born after the war and so was not a living witness to it but that did not stop me from reading books and researching about it. I also got first hand accounts about the war from my mother who was a refugee in camp similar to the one in these pictures and my father who was a captain in the Biafran army. I know all about the war. The important question to ask is "why was the war fought?" The counter-coup of 1966 saw northern officers rise and butcher any Eastern Nigerian officer or soldier they could lay their hands on but that didn't stop there. Easterners were butchered across the north and western region. Ojukwu was then military Governor of Eastern Nigeria. Ojukwu told Gowon to stop the killings but he didn't. Ojukwu even encouraged the Easterners who ran back home to return to the north only for them to be killed in greater numbers. Ojukwu sat down with Gowon in Aburi,Ghana and discussed the escalating crises and they came up with an agreement called the 'Aburi Accord' that would bring peace and keep Nigeria as one. Gowon signed this agreement only to return to Lagos and turn his back on it. With easterners being massacred in their thousands all over Nigeria,what would anyone expect Ojukwu to do? He did what he could to bring peace but it didn't work. How many of you would have stood by and watched your own being killed in the name of 'one Nigeria'? Ojukwu did the only thing any sane man would have done to protect his people after all peace initiatives by him had failed and that was to ask his people to return home and declared Biafra. Biafra was about the right of a people to self determination,freedom of association and the right to protect ones life and property. If any of us had been Ojukwu,we too would have declared Biafra. The war followed and the only reason that Nigeria defeated Biafra was the overwhelming support it got from super powers such as Britain and Russia. I want to add that it was the God given right of anyone or a people to decide if they want to be Nigerians or not,you can't force someone to be Nigerian. The war was fought for one single reason. For the oil resources of Eastern Nigeria. That's all it was, the northerners need the economic resources of the people of the South-east and South-south like fish needs water. Anyone who believes that the northerners and their Yoruba collaborators fought this war because of the 'everlasting love' they have for the Igbos and the people of the SS is a fool. 2 million people died,millions more suffered and for what? To give northerners and Yorubas control over the rest of Nigeria for 40 years. Look at the Nigeria they presided over,a country riddled with corruption,incompetence,porverty and insecurity. This is the so called dream of 'one Nigeria'? I pray that there will not be another war in Nigeria but we all know that Nigeria is living on 'borrowed time'. We will all go our different ways in peace or in pieces.
The £20 policy of murderous and treacherous Awo denied Ndigbo from owning a single property from their dubious indigenization policy. Thank God that He NEVER sleeps nor slumbers. angry we shall overcome cry cry embarassed cry

4 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by BABANlaraba(m): 11:11am On Jul 26, 2014
I don't pray to c war
Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Nobody: 11:17am On Jul 26, 2014
All of you making fun on those halpless children know that the worst is reserved for you and your family.

I have predicted that a viscious conflict between the Northerners and the SW in the event of a split of this country.

Your aboki masters will reign you ediiots in since no one in the southsouth or southeast wants anything to do with you lot

4 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by kingthreat(m): 11:23am On Jul 26, 2014
SirHouloo:
The web of leaders we had then were so daft that they couldn't reason out how to end the civil war. The only intelligent personality, a man with vision, a true leader, giving military tactics, though not one himself now deserves a train of curses. I believe that the story of Nigeria unity cannot be said without making mention of the output of his brilliance.

God bless you bro. May the soul of the great Awolowo RIP

11 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 26, 2014
Feedmemore: The question is, did Nigeria become better after the war? 44yrs after the guns went silent, are we better off? Are we building a nation based on equity, justice, religious freedom, economic prosperity?

Slavery is worse than Death. Give me freedom give me poverty or give me death. I want to be free or I want to die. - Patrick Henry. The Blackman will never be free until he wants freedom more than life itself. Until he says to himself ' Give me freedom give me liberty or give me death. I want to be free or I want to die. We will be free overnight'. - adaptation by Honorable Minister Louis Farakhan. Black people have suffered the worst case of tyranny on this earth since the beginning of creation and have tolerated it for fear of death. The future for our bright kids remain mired in a system that they will never attain their full potential. We prefer life in any form than step out to the light of freedom.

1 Like

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by chloride6: 11:32am On Jul 26, 2014

Do you want to eat?

Or

Do you want to fight?

You really can't have both now, can you?

1 Like

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by double08(m): 11:39am On Jul 26, 2014
jaybee:

You tried; but did not get the gist. Ojukwu wanted to be head of state. by all means, including sacrificing a section of the country in a needless and unwarranted war, even a child would know Ojukwu can not win. the igbos fought a foolish war for pride and got the un-mistaken result. its no use trying to reconstruct history now. lets all learn a lesson on wild goose chase.

when you did not get the gist why conclude? did Ojukwu participate in any coup ?why u saying he wanted to be the head of state, and when you say he fought a needless and unwarranted war please explain if you are the leader of a group of people and your people are murdered in droves what would you do sit and watch? he had to protect his people,he tried the non violent approach (aburi peace accord) Gowon rubbished it at the advise of some certain people,the only option was to fight. when you push a goat to the wall, it eventually fights back.

other peeps saying that anything goes in war and you justify the blockade of food relief from getting the the masses you guyz are heartless! you are no different from the hutus that are been tried from genocide in rwanda. Are you aware that Israel allowed like 5 hrs cease fire for relief to be sent into Gaza they did not choose the option of starving Hamas, if the blockade is about not allowing weapons from entering Biafra,that would have been understandable ...... not relief materials that is a NO! NO!

Are you aware that during the war, Biafra built their own refineries, made their own bombs and armoured tanks and after the war the blue print was sent to the Nigeria army but they were burnt, 45 years on...Nigeria cant even make their own weapons! shame on us!

8 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by stagger: 11:41am On Jul 26, 2014
chloride6:
Do you want to eat?
Or
Do you want to fight?
You really can't have both now, can you?

2 million killed by starvation

1 million by bombs and bullets.

If your mother was one of those refugees who had to f.uck a filthy Federal soldier for relief materials in return, you would not utter this nonsense. angry angry angry
Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by semitunde: 11:46am On Jul 26, 2014
onitshaigbo: I declare in Jesus' name that never again will we Igbos suffer defeat!
We are Jews and Biafra will rise as a powerful, prosperous, and independent nation just like our fellow Jews in Israel!
If the rest of Nigeria tries to attack us, we will lay waste to Abuja and Kano like Israel is doing to Gaza.

The way I see this, Biafra may just be Gaza in the event of a break off from Nigeria. Many things point towards this direction, but go on...
Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by tonychristopher: 11:56am On Jul 26, 2014
That's Igbo spirit ...thank lord for making me so igbotic

Ndi be anyi eke ne m

Like spinix we rose from ashes and wickedness of other tribes to claim back what is rightfully ours

God be with Igbo people

2 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by tonychristopher: 12:00pm On Jul 26, 2014
Gombs: It shall forever remain in the minds of the igbos, not the words of their enemies, but the silence of their friends...

But look at the igbos and the SS now....u cnt compare the strides they made in these years, yet ndi ugwu na ndi ofe ose ju na ndigbo aya nwuro mmri towoh iko.

Abokis busy driving backwards towards stone age, and busy blaming GEJ angry
Those West of the Niger only sabi "Eko oni baje o"

In summary, GEJ till 2019... after that, NOI for president till 2027....that's if rapture never happen. grin

I hope those people who advised Gowon to close the Cameroonian border are happier people now? God dey watch una and una descendants in 3D 700inch pasma TV

I thank lord for creating me an Igbo man. We survived the wickedness of Nigerian and other global powers
We have reclaimed and taken what rightly is ours ...economic dominance

God be with igbos

3 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by o42austino(m): 12:06pm On Jul 26, 2014
salam1: So d boarder was closed nd all dis tin happened was it dat d igbos don't farm or wat mi I know understand o
Farm in war time? are u foolish or what?.

7 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by BaddieKay(f): 12:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
the war lasted 3years and some ppl are asking if igbos dont farm.i wonder how they'll farm during war....you hv brains,use it pls

4 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Leibnitz: 12:10pm On Jul 26, 2014
Mynd44:
Please look....so we all can see the price of our mistakes, our decisions, our bigotry, our comments, our hate, our strive, our no being able to live in peace, or madness and pettiness
No matter how hard you try, oil and water can never mix angry
This was what the treacherous Awo and his puppetry General Gowon meted on my people. cry embarassed cry

4 Likes

Re: Refuge camp: Picture Of Delta State North Asaba Area During The Civil War by Leibnitz: 12:11pm On Jul 26, 2014
kingthreat:

God bless you bro. May the soul of the great Awolowo RIP

The face of a murderer and coupist angry angry

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Jonathan Appoints Gbenga Daniel, Abacha’s Aide Varsities Council Chairmen / MASSOB Justifies Herdsmen Killings In Benue, Taraba, Says It’s Payback Time / Usman Mamman Durkwa Visits Nursing Student Raped, Robbed & Doused With Acid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.