Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,794 members, 7,802,531 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? (17389 Views)

Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by dimdim001(m): 3:38pm On Jul 27, 2014
gerona: I have a baby boy who is 3yrs and sucks his finger. All efforts to stop him has failed. I need help because it is his right finger, I am afraid it may affect his desire to write, his speech and deform the finger and teeth.

PLEASE HELP ME ON HOW BEST TO STOP HIM. Thanks.

Flick his hand evry tym he tries to suck his thumb...I used to stick out my tongue wen I wz little, dats hw my mom stopped mine smiley
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by 1metre: 3:45pm On Jul 27, 2014
The application of any bitter substance on his hand will not help him rather he will lick it up. the problem could have been solved when the child was still a toddler. children with such problem are less attentive in school
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by EbuGeneral(m): 4:17pm On Jul 27, 2014
The fault is on u the mother... I believe the baby is suffering from fixation of the Oral Stage(Psycho-Sexual stages)... Leave de baby, if u try to force him, might stop but the traces of such behavior wil be dia and he wil end up smoking as an adult... Just watch him, if he continues sucking his finger after 5 years, take him to a Psychologist. For more enquiries, bleep me through my email.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by afemgbosey(m): 4:19pm On Jul 27, 2014
Children sucking thumbs do that cos they want more comfort especially if they can't get it from elsewhere. Be closer to the kid and apply flagyl tablet to both thumbs
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by MEILYN(m): 4:32pm On Jul 27, 2014
Akbee:
what is the pronoun form of *baby**?who tot u grammar in i sch.lol.i got dis from wiki..u may go chek to confirm if u so wish... Usage
The word and term 'it' can be used for
either a subject or an object in a sentence
and can describe any physical or
psychological subject and / or object' and
its genitive form its have been used to
refer to human babies and animals ,
although with the passage of time this
usage has come to be considered too
impersonal in the case of babies, as it
may be thought to demean a conscious
being to the status of a mere object. This
use of "it" is also criticized when used it
as a rhetorical device to dehumanize their
enemies, implying that they were little
more than non-human animals. The word
remains in common use however, and its
use increases with the degree to which
the speaker views an object of speech as
impersonal. For example, someone else's
dog is often referred to as "it", especially
if the dog isn't known by the speaker, or if
the dog's gender is unknown. A person
would rarely say "it" when referring to
his/her own cat or dog. Examples:
The baby had its first apple.
They are taking their dog to the vet, as
they said it looked ill.
Nigerians.... Where did I say you can't use IT to refer to a baby? You went through the process of insulting my education. The use of IT is demeaning. That was what I was trying to say. Read to understand don't always read to reply boy.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Juzzybabe(f): 4:38pm On Jul 27, 2014
I thumb suck as a kid,mum said my solution was a white man i so much liked while growing up.According to her,each time i try to suck my thumb,she would tel me that the white man is coming and he wont marry me if he sees me doing that. Thats how i stoped. Well if bitterleaf or hot pepper wont be washed off by him,try n rub it on his finger everytym. Mind you,i have had a cousin that thumb suck until 22 years! No joke be careful!
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by bedfordng(m): 4:42pm On Jul 27, 2014
there is no need to panic,just make sure his hands are clean when ever you notice him sucking.also,you can try the better leaf,it does work especially at tender age.but most at times,they stop when they start attending school due to socializing with friends and most kids are sensitive to what friends says to them because they won't want to be embarrased.he will stop when he starts attending school to an extent
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by delishpot: 6:11pm On Jul 27, 2014
bennyrazz: you can as well use plaster grin you cut the finger with blade like making an incision then you plaster it round for two weeks. Ordinarily the finger should heal up after 1 day but prolong it by leaving the plaster on for one or two weeks

shocked shocked shocked
Chei, God is watching o.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 27, 2014
denkyw: Carry alomo bitters rubb am for those fingers,after testing the bitterness no be person go tell am to stop.
Hahaha.... No be small tin ooo
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by bennyrazz: 9:07pm On Jul 27, 2014
delishpot:

shocked shocked shocked
Chei, God is watching o.
is watching all of us
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Ladybluecash(f): 10:11pm On Jul 27, 2014
Put cameroon pepper, ur baby go turn bigboy at once. Na joke ooo

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by lekeey: 10:18pm On Jul 27, 2014
Fix artificial nail on that thumb; a parent tried it in my neighborhood ,and it worked.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by MoriYanu(m): 10:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
chinex276: Lyk some one said earlier ALOMO BITTERS sure pass, bt if u notice d dude avin an ereectiion run 4 ur lyf ooo
Is this funny?
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by minimoha: 10:38pm On Jul 27, 2014
olorundimu: Op, none of the above remedies can stop the child from sucking his finger. It's a habit that wanes as the child gets older, most do not last beyond 5 years of age. No application of pepper, bitter leaf, alomo bitter or even deliberately inflicting injury to the affected finger will stop this habit. Show the child tender loving care and be patient with him. The waning process starts during his first few months to one year in school when he gets enough time to mingle with his peers.

My 2cents

5years? lie! my bro stopped himself @17 after sec school

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by tempest01(m): 11:31pm On Jul 27, 2014
Get plaster and tie on the finger. the kind of plaster that is wraped round the plastic. Or you squeeze bitter leaf on the finger every night

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by VMLTDSMS(m): 12:02am On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: why not buy him a baby dummy. That would save his fingers. Here is what it looks like

BUY him the DUMMY,seal his mouth with it always so he will suck it when need be instead of the fingers,or alternatively use BITTER LEAF to dirt his fingers,if bitter,he wouldnt suck,try these.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by babadem2much(m): 1:24am On Jul 28, 2014
Gerona, just allow ur child to keep sucking his thumb. Nobody will tell him to stop cuz i remember i sucked thumb until am 6 yrs, while in nursery school b4 i stoped. People will be lafin @ me my late dad will say no mind dem my pikin u go de work 4 office de suck ur finger abi i go say yes dad n everybody will laff. So one day my dad observed n saw that through out dat day i did not suck, he now said my chairman wetin happen u no go suck 2day? I said i don stop dad n dat was d end, my two kids sucked thumb for about 2 yrs ppl will say rub dis rub dat, my lil boy wil say daddy will u cut my finger if i suck again? I wil say no. N today the both of them av stoped
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by delishpot: 2:08am On Jul 28, 2014
bennyrazz: is watching all of us

Lol, abi? All of us o.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by cecs(m): 6:52am On Jul 28, 2014
@3yrs old ? My sister I stoped @d age or 12yrs n my elder sister stpd withing that age too tho many eFfort was made to stp it but all failed..and the question is when dd u or his dad stp suckin finger ? Don't lie oooooo.....my daughter too is currently on it only need god intervention on this matter abeg my sister no use alomo as dem advised u oooo

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by vm26: 9:14am On Jul 28, 2014
denkyw: Carry alomo bitters rubb am for those fingers,after testing the bitterness no be person go tell am to stop.
ys i agree i hear tt it works u need noy to gv up on it nomatter how much he cries when he tastes the hottness.thumb sucking surely reduces the concentration levels coz such kids usually shift attention easily .make sure you smear it even when he is sleeping so tht if he decides to suck at night wahala fo him and before he wakes up make thhe sucking expirience horror
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Bishop(m): 3:43pm On Jul 28, 2014
i have a son who will be 5 soon,and has been sucking from the very first day he was delivered,i feel ur pain especially those nasty noise they make when sucking in the middle of the night.i would have recommended something i found out online to you but at 3yrs i think thats too late.

he will outgrow it,but if u re not patient enough like me,try plaster,someone i told tried it and in two weeks her daughter stopped sucking her finger but my own son for wia instead him get promotion to second degree of sucking.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Rexceedo: 6:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
haha Na! Dis is 2 severe. I sucked my thumb till I was about twelve-year-old. But some how I stopped.[/quote]
Even me o
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by femijck(m): 11:41pm On Jul 28, 2014
Try rubbing bitter leaves on th thumb....i know it works for some kid...but some tryna stay away from food....as d taste scares them off
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by holatin(m): 8:51pm On Aug 02, 2014
There is only a way to stop it. It may sound foolish and funny but if it didn't work, come back here and yab me. Fix her nail, those long nail d ladies do fix for fashion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If Your Husband Has A Child Out Of Wedlock / Birthday Gift For Mum,advise Pls / Wife Makes Hurtful Comments (curses?) To Me. What To Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.