Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,272 members, 7,780,608 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:33 PM

FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia (30698 Views)

Military Takes Delivery Of Attack Helicopters / Nigeria Buys Helicopters From Russia / US Blocks Nigeria’s Purchase Of Chinook Helicopters From Israel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by Johncuppa(m): 3:38pm On Jul 26, 2014
God bless Nigeria
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by severee(m): 3:41pm On Jul 26, 2014
Oooooooooooooooose! grin

Now i know why commando and rambo feel good when they see guns in movies
I'm just reading about this and i'm getting like a super er*ction right now

1 Like

Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by oldenglish: 3:45pm On Jul 26, 2014
Obiagelli: how much are they spending and what types of helicopters.
ask google or write to Nigeriaarmy@berem.com
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by itsIYKE(m): 3:48pm On Jul 26, 2014
Obiagelli: how much are they spending and what types of helicopters.
the type that flies

2 Likes

Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by Jeffoo(m): 3:49pm On Jul 26, 2014
Na which one dey wan buy, na old one or na new ones?
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by amanze15(m): 3:54pm On Jul 26, 2014
WombRaiders:

They should go for the Hind. It is a gunship, transporter and all out attack helicopter
eshiiiiii.....
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by julioralph(m): 4:00pm On Jul 26, 2014
I wonder why dey had to wait until now. Dey shud have done dis five years ago!!
I hope dey buy a predator drone aswell....... To spy on and pepper d BH boys from v.high altitude without d fear of AA guns.
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by rattlesnake(m): 4:03pm On Jul 26, 2014
Akpaife: Boko harm in trouble grin
mumu grin grin some of the birdies belongs to them....
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by Deepfreezer(m): 4:05pm On Jul 26, 2014
nice move by the federal government.
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by oohunt: 4:26pm On Jul 26, 2014
I wonder why we are reading this news. Should they be broadcasting their plans for the enemy to get prepared when they strike?? I was thinking that intelligence information like this is not for public consumption. All we want to hear is that peace has been restored and the unnecessary killing of innocent people have stopped.
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by cedrick: 4:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
Must they announce this? where lies the element of surprise that the millitary should be known for?
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 26, 2014
cedrick: Must they announce this? where lies the element of surprise that the millitary should be known for?

Bokos are scarred stiff of combat helicopters as they have no solution to them. This is an effective propaganda by the way against the terrorists.
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by manutdadex(m): 4:40pm On Jul 26, 2014
i heard we have a locally made drone? If yes, y aint we producing dem wit vigor? Drones wud va been a more effective solution to dis problems! At least if we av eight standby drones on air and oda to take ova wen we need to do maintanance
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by manutdadex(m): 4:43pm On Jul 26, 2014
oohunt: I wonder why we are reading this news. Should they be broadcasting their plans for the enemy to get prepared when they strike?? I was thinking that intelligence information like this is not for public consumption. All we want to hear is that peace has been restored and the unnecessary killing of innocent people have stopped.
you can neva satisfy nigerians, supasport don finish us.if una no hear any news una go say dem no dey do anytin! We one watch highlites of d war against bokomumus. All dis bloggers wey full everywhere no help matas..dem fit interview cow in army in uniform!
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by texaco1: 4:50pm On Jul 26, 2014
There is more to this boko haram issue than what is been disclosed

1 Like

Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by Greyworld: 4:50pm On Jul 26, 2014
D most foolish tins 2 say are said by Nigerians... Waitin for concensus from all Nigerians b4 an executive order is passed by d President to get those yung gals? I pity dose gals cux neva ll der b such concensus so der might as well be no rescue operation. RUBBISH
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by EMANY01(m): 4:54pm On Jul 26, 2014
This is cheering news. Speaking with a friend in army aviation , the orders for these aircraft ,training for the flyer ,technical crew and support crew had been put out long ago. While he is not sure of the number of units and specific type of platform ordered from the Americans and the Russians he does not think the number of platforms ordered altogether is anywhere close to 40 as mentioned in this article. Why?I will come to that later.
The best platforms (commercially successful) in this category {transport/combat } choppers are made by the Americans and then the Russians followed by the French and British in no particular order.
However with the high cost of American platforms which comes from complexity and rigorous maintenance needs the best choice would be to go for mostly Russian Platforms although they will not necessarily have the same performance levels that the American platforms would give ,we are not using them for peer state conflicts so the performance of Russian platforms would be more than adequate.
The likelihood is that the heavy main attack platforms would be Russian while the transport platforms would be American although these would still carry offensive weapons like rockets and high caliber(up to 30mm) auto cannon rounds which would mean that if you are ever sighted by one, you had best use what rapidly diminishing time you have left on earth to reconcile with your maker. The light attack platforms black hawks would be for troop transport and field support medic trans port and the likes but they could also play full combat roles at the drop of a hat with minimum reconfiguration .
The obvious point no one seems to be talking about here is the cost of having “40” of these platforms with their related armaments and maintenance spare parts. Which for Nigeria would be astronomical we simply couldn’t afford it even if the 3 trillion naira defense budget for the past three years used entirely for these planes. A current generation MI -35 M helicopter gunship with top speed of 335 kilometers an hour and two hour endurance usually carries a twin barrel 23mm auto cannon. Missiles and rocket pods can be attached to the stubby wings It is a twelve ton helicopter gunship that also has a cargo area that can hold up to eight people or ,four stretchers costing averagely $13 million dollars {#2.08 Billion } (two billion eighty million naira) while a refurbished would likely cost around 5 million dollars (#800 Million) less and that’s just talking about the cheaper option should we decide to go American the costs of a new Apache AH-64D gunship goes for $15 million dollars{#2.4 Billion } (two billion four hundred million naira).
The upgraded UH-60 Black Hawk costs $19.3 million each{#3.088 Billion} (three billion eighty eight million naira) ,a latest Naval version of the Black-hawk, the MH-60R costs 46.1 million each{#7.376 Billion} (seven billion three hundred and seventy six million naira each) this particularly is what we would need to combat crude oil theft and trade on the high seas and patrol our coast lines.
Just take any three aircraft mix and extrapolate the cost for about forty of them and you will realize the entire defense budget of three ,four or even ten trillion naira would not be able to afford it .

Edit:
After carefully doing the math, it does appear the government could actually afford to buy forty (40) of these platforms. Assuming the average cost for each of these airframes is the price of the Naval Black Hawk costing $ 46.1 million ,forty of them will cost $ 1.844 billion amounting to around # 295,040,000,000 (two hundred and ninety five billion Naira).I use this as a bench mark as it is about the most expensive combat helicopter airframe in the market (second or third to the V22 Osprey) ,because the costs for the aircraft given earlier are just for the airframe without the electronic systems and sensors fitted which would almost double the cost just base electronics for controls (most countries like to build in their own electronics eg India ,Isreal,Tukey Brasil and even Pakistan ) and also because we clearly will not be buying only this airframe . Where we buy a mix of airframes the bench mark cost would offset the cost of additional munitions start-off parts and the likes.
As to why we need forty, not all these planes will be available to sortie as a certain percentage will be grounded for maintenance and servicing at any giving time so it makes sense to have a number that accommodates that percentage otherwise we end up pressing all the airframes into service more regularly than it would be safe to do thereby cutting into maintenance and service schedules ultimately resulting in a high attrition rate.
With that size of a bill we would still have a defense budget balance of # 704,960,000,000( seven hundred and four billion nine hundred and sixty million Naira).
The problem is that having these aircraft is just one aspect of their cost , over the life time of these airframes ,massive amounts would be required to keep them flying reliably which include costs in the air(fueling, flight training consumable airborne antimissile systems, etc) and costs on the ground (maintenance and servicing).We would still have to fund the airforce, build airfields,fund the SSS and other paramilitary agencies like customs and immigrations whom actually need aviation assets like helicopters and small planes to function efficiently ina country the size and geography of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by abbeywasc(m): 5:00pm On Jul 26, 2014
mascot87: I wish the FG could order the following : AIM-7 Sparrow, AIM-9 Sidewinder, AIM-120 AMRAAM, AGM-65 Maverick, AGM-88 HARM, AGM-158 JASSM, AGM-114 Hellfire, FGM-148 Javelin, BGM-71 TOW, BGM-109 Tomahawk, RGM-84 Harpoon, RIM-7 Sea Sparrow, RIM-66 Standard, FIM-92 Stinger, RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile, RIM-161 Standard Missile 3, RIM-174 Standard ERAM & UGM-133 Trident II. With all this weapons,we would not only be d heartbeat of Africa weaponry, we will also be the African United state of America. Boko wetin? Them no born them well
u read too many military novels/news without bordering to inquire what d platforms are for. trident II? y will dey sell us a nuclear platform and wch dense radar network BH get dt u nid HARM for? and dose AIM, AMRAAM are air-to-air weapons, unless boko are nw flying. by d way, u cant afford most of ds stuffs if dey even decide to sell. dale brown wannabe

2 Likes

Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 26, 2014
EMANY01: This is cheering news. Speaking with a friend in army aviation , the orders for these aircraft ,training for the flyer ,technical crew and support crew had been put out long ago. While he is not sure of the number of units and specific type of platform ordered from the Americans and the Russians he does not think the number of platforms ordered altogether is anywhere close to 40 as mentioned in this article. Why?I will come to that later.
The best platforms (commercially successful) in this category {transport/combat } choppers are made by the Americans and then the Russians followed by the French and British in no particular order.
However with the high cost of American platforms which comes from complexity and rigorous maintenance needs the best choice would be to go for mostly Russian Platforms although they will not necessarily have the same performance levels that the American platforms would give ,we are not using them for peer state conflicts so the performance of Russian platforms would be more than adequate.
The likelihood is that the heavy main attack platforms would be Russian while the transport platforms would be American although these would still carry offensive weapons like rockets and high caliber(up to 30mm) auto cannon rounds which would mean that if you are ever sighted by one, you had best use what rapidly diminishing time you have left on earth to reconcile with your maker. The light attack platforms black hawks would be for troop transport and field support medic trans port and the likes but they could also play full combat roles at the drop of a hat with minimum reconfiguration .
The obvious point no one seems to be talking about here is the cost of having “40” of these platforms with their related armaments and maintenance spare parts. Which for Nigeria would be astronomical we simply couldn’t afford it even if the 3 trillion naira defense budget for the past three years used entirely for these planes. A current generation MI -35 M helicopter gunship with top speed of 335 kilometers an hour and two hour endurance usually carries a twin barrel 23mm auto cannon. Missiles and rocket pods can be attached to the stubby wings It is a twelve ton helicopter gunship that also has a cargo area that can hold up to eight people or ,four stretchers costing averagely $13 million dollars {#2.08 Billion } (two billion eighty million naira) while a refurbished would likely cost around 5 million dollars (#800 Million) less and that’s just talking about the cheaper option should we decide to go American the costs of a new Apache AH-64D gunship goes for $15 million dollars{#2.4 Billion } (two billion four hundred million naira). (The upgraded UH-60 Black Hawk costs $19.3 million each ,a latest Naval version of the Black-hawk, the MH-60R costs 46.1 million each{#7.376 Billion} (seven billion three hundred and seventy six million naira each) this particularly is what we would need to combat crude oil theft and trade on the high seas and patrol our coast lines.
Just take any three aircraft mix and extrapolate the cost for about forty of them and you will realize the entire defense budget of three ,four or even ten trillion naira would not be able to afford it.

The issue is not the actaul procurement cost but the operating costs.

BlackHawk helicopters have an operating cost much higher than a Hind Attack helicopter.
A blackhawk helicopter has an opertating cost of $4,600/hr.

It makes sense to go for robust and rugged crafts like the hind to anything the Americunts are peddling

1 Like

Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by haryomikun(m): 5:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
jodeci:

It baffles me how adults still make comments like this.Wouldnt it hv bn better to read and move on?
Who told u hez an adult? ? Mayb u re 1 of dose ppl who tink d internet world is full of old people undecided
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by GentleSmiles: 5:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
way my Ciga a beg una..?
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by berbs113(f): 5:39pm On Jul 26, 2014
mascot87: I wish the FG could order the following : AIM-7 Sparrow, AIM-9 Sidewinder, AIM-120 AMRAAM, AGM-65 Maverick, AGM-88 HARM, AGM-158 JASSM, AGM-114 Hellfire, FGM-148 Javelin, BGM-71 TOW, BGM-109 Tomahawk, RGM-84 Harpoon, RIM-7 Sea Sparrow, RIM-66 Standard, FIM-92 Stinger, RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile, RIM-161 Standard Missile 3, RIM-174 Standard ERAM & UGM-133 Trident II. With all this weapons,we would not only be d heartbeat of Africa weaponry, we will also be the African United state of America. Boko wetin? Them no born them well
Na weaponry you study?? How come u know all dis?? I dey suspect u ooo... #Joking though
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by berbs113(f): 5:39pm On Jul 26, 2014
Na weaponry you study?? How come u know all dis?? I dey suspect u ooo... #NoOffence
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by gabicon: 5:44pm On Jul 26, 2014
The number 1 weapon we need to win this battle is intelligence, if we don't get it and use it effectively military contractors will merely take advantage of us. We have been fighting boko haram for years now how many of our service men have infiltrated their network to understand how they operate, their operation schedule, and who is funding them? These are question that need answers cos it seems to me that after military transition in 1999 our military has been incapacitated and money has been used to block their better judgement. I could just imagine boko haram surfacing during the abacha era, as tyrant as the man was he wouldn't allow such under his watch.GEJ needs to open his eyes some people are playing him thereby allowing his name to be written in shit in history books, even if he is not ready to fight for Nigeria he need to fight for the reaction of posterity to his being president as popular stories are what make history.
GEJ should start giving ultimatum to his commanding officers such as no result in 2 months equals retirement or some sort of reverse motivation to end this crisis.
God bless GEJ
God bless Nigeria
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by EMANY01(m): 5:52pm On Jul 26, 2014
mascot87: I wish the FG could order the following : AIM-7 Sparrow, AIM-9 Sidewinder, AIM-120 AMRAAM, AGM-65 Maverick, AGM-88 HARM, AGM-158 JASSM, AGM-114 Hellfire, FGM-148 Javelin, BGM-71 TOW, BGM-109 Tomahawk, RGM-84 Harpoon, RIM-7 Sea Sparrow, RIM-66 Standard, FIM-92 Stinger, RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile, RIM-161 Standard Missile 3, RIM-174 Standard ERAM & UGM-133 Trident II. With all this weapons,we would not only be d heartbeat of Africa weaponry, we will also be the African United state of America. Boko wetin? Them no born them well [i][/i]

I wish the FG could order the following :
AIM-7 Sparrow: Air to air weapon. Ashe Boko haram don get airforce wey we no no.Bross na wah for you oooooohh.
AIM-9 Sidewinder : Air to air weapon
AIM-120 AMRAAM: Air to air weapon
AGM-65 Maverick: Air to ground weapon
AGM-88 HARM: Air to ground weapon used against air defense system
AGM-158 JASSM : Air to ground weapon
AGM-114 Hellfire: Air to ground weapon
FGM-148 Javelin: Ground based infantry weapon
BGM-71 TOW : Ground based infantry weapon
BGM-109 Tomahawk:Ground/Sea to ground weapon .Bros u no just need this one unless Boko haram don congregate for one large area /building.In any case one(or ten) small hellfire missile go do.
RGM-84 Harpoon:Sea based Anti-ship weapon .Bros I thought Boko haram is up north abi den get navy?
RIM-7 Sea Sparrow: Air to air weapon
RIM-66 Standard: Air to air weapon
FIM-92 Stinger:Man pad .Ground based light Anti-aircraft weapon .Hmnnn abi Boko Haram don first get attack helicopters?
RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile: I NO GO JUST COMMENT
RIM-161 Standard Missile :I still no go comment
RIM-174 Standard ERAM :Bross take am easy naa
UGM-133 Trident II: Bros na waa for you you wan nuke sambisa and the whole of Borno plus chad abi na wetin ,u even get the submarine wey u park under water for lake chad we u wan use fire the missile abi.Na God go judge you take you time oohhh.Some people enhhhh if them give them chance ……..
All those books that you guys read without really reading ……….
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by Habeeb521(m): 6:09pm On Jul 26, 2014
SenseiX:
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-orders-40-attack-helicopters-from-us-russia-to-fight-terrorism/184576/
. Let me say is this exactly wat next. Federal government indeed
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by Habeeb521(m): 6:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
EMANY01: mascot87: I wish the FG could order the following : AIM-7 Sparrow, AIM-9 Sidewinder, AIM-120 AMRAAM, AGM-65 Maverick, AGM-88 HARM, AGM-158 JASSM, AGM-114 Hellfire, FGM-148 Javelin, BGM-71 TOW, BGM-109 Tomahawk, RGM-84 Harpoon, RIM-7 Sea Sparrow, RIM-66 Standard, FIM-92 Stinger, RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile, RIM-161 Standard Missile 3, RIM-174 Standard ERAM & UGM-133 Trident II. With all this weapons,we would not only be d heartbeat of Africa weaponry, we will also be the African United state of America. Boko wetin? Them no born them well [i][/i]

AIM-7 Sparrow: Air to air weapon. Ashe Boko haram don get airforce wey we no no.Bross na wah for you oooooohh.
BGM-109 Tomahawk:Ground/Sea to ground weapon .Bros u no just need this one unless Boko haram don congregate for one large area /building.In any case one(or ten) small hellfire missile go do.
RGM-84 Harpoon:Sea based Anti-ship weapon .Bros I thought Boko haram is up north abi den get navy?
FIM-92 Stinger:Man pad .Ground based light Anti-aircraft weapon .Hmnnn abi Boko Haram don first get attack helicopters?
UGM-133 Trident II: Bros na waa for you you wan nuke sambisa and the whole of Borno plus chad abi na wetin ,u even get the submarine wey u park under water for lake chad we u wan use fire the missile abi.Na God go judge you take you time oohhh.Some people enhhhh if them give them chance ……..
et me guess who d hell is this guy. R u some kind of guru Genius, psycho gini a meean hw did u no all this or u kinda military man stuff or u r even ........
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by igbo2011(m): 6:20pm On Jul 26, 2014
Why can;t e create our own helicopters?
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by EMANY01(m): 6:33pm On Jul 26, 2014
WombRaiders:

The issue is not the actaul procurement cost but the operating costs.

BlackHawk helicopters have an operating cost much higher than a Hind Attack helicopter.
A blackhawk helicopter has an opertating cost of $4,600/hr.

It makes sense to go for robust and rugged crafts like the hind to anything the Americunts are peddling

Totally agree with you on the operating cost argument .....apart from the blackhawk the apache has an operating cost almost twice that which if the aircraft flies an average of 15 hr/wk (barely enough for training flights which is why we need flight simulators to cut down on training flights not that it is a way to go)would amount to a horrible bill.However the issue of the robustness and ruggedness of Russian crafts over that of the Americans is one i'm not completely sold on. You only need to look to look at the ATTRITION RATE of all the Russian aircraft (we have a lot had as a nation over the years) it has been quite high.I need not remind you we just lost yet another aircraft just a week ago or so in bama and it was a hind.
The Americans have much much lower attrition rates for their aircraft but much higher requirements for those who operate their aircraft (pilots and technicians ).
Will they be so hard for us as a Nation to meet if we put our minds to it, removing sectionalism and nepotism and letting the best qualified people mentally and otherwise anywhere they may be from instead of making it the preserve of a particular section of the country as has been the case since the time of Buhari / IBB.
If we get the best people and train them, then invest in cutting edge flight simulators that the Americans sell along with every aircraft category we would reduce the real flight periods for training and have better trained pilots. You must that Russian flight simulator tech is not that impressive and they have been trying to buy same from Israel (entirely US tech) and France(partly US tech) knowing they will never get it directly from the US failing which they will get or by now might have gotten it on the sly from the tech that the Chinese stole and cloned from the Americans and others.

1 Like

Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by Greyworld: 6:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
igbo2011: Why can;t e create our own helicopters?
Talk 2 innoson

1 Like

Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by emmy02(m): 6:45pm On Jul 26, 2014
tpacalipse: Wait. The copters would soon become boko properties.
Abi? dats how i saw Boko Boys with Tanks in one of their videos, i wonder who gave them..
Re: FG Orders 40 Attack Helicopters From US, Russia by mascot87(m): 7:00pm On Jul 26, 2014
EMANY01: mascot87: I wish the FG could order the following : AIM-7 Sparrow, AIM-9 Sidewinder, AIM-120 AMRAAM, AGM-65 Maverick, AGM-88 HARM, AGM-158 JASSM, AGM-114 Hellfire, FGM-148 Javelin, BGM-71 TOW, BGM-109 Tomahawk, RGM-84 Harpoon, RIM-7 Sea Sparrow, RIM-66 Standard, FIM-92 Stinger, RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile, RIM-161 Standard Missile 3, RIM-174 Standard ERAM & UGM-133 Trident II. With all this weapons,we would not only be d heartbeat of Africa weaponry, we will also be the African United state of America. Boko wetin? Them no born them well [i][/i]

Bros, na wa for u o. Didn't u read my comment?I was talking majorly about Nigeria been the African prototype version of the United states of America and not because of boko haram.What is boko haram? A combination of two or more of J-10, Mig-35, F-22, F-35 & Rafale fighter aircrafts would send boko haram into extinction. Bros, I see u o & I get ur point ok, no P sha. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Federal High Court Judge Overrules Supreme Court over Sacked Anambra Lawmakers. / PDP Senators Block Sonni Ogbuoji's Defection To APC / Obanikoro Arrives EFCC Office With His Lawyers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.