Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,119 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters (7097 Views)

Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy / Step-by-step Guide To Rearing Ostriches Profitably In Nigeria. / Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 26, 2014
Agama lizards are hunted for their flesh, scales and other body parts. It may be a delicacy in several parts of the country.

To start breeding, you may have to catch a mature male and female or even start with the younger.

Instructions

Check your lizards are old enough to breed. Adult males should be around 10 inches long and have "red head". Females are slightly smaller at around 8 inches aka "green head". There are some smaller agama lizards who only measure around 5 inches, although these are rare, and the reason for the stunted growth is unknown.

Sex your lizards. Most agamas will live happily together for the first few months as juveniles, even if you have two males. Once maturity begins, your lizards may begin fighting if you haven’t sexed them right. Males are bigger and have much brighter colors. Females are usually green-brown and have a white underbelly. The female may have side markings or a greenish colored head.

Monitor your temperatures. Incorrect temperatures can affect your reptile’s health and hormone levels, preventing successful breeding. Daytime temperatures should be around 32 degrees Celsius, dropping to 24 degrees at night.

Offer a wide variety of food. Agama lizards feed mainly on insects such as locusts, dragonflies and crickets, which should be gut-loaded for a few days before feeding. Your agama may also enjoy fruit and vegetables. Adult agamas should be fed once a day, and just before breeding season you may find the female eats more.

Increase your female’s calcium intake. Food should be dusted with calcium year-round to prevent calcium-related issues such as metabolic bone disease. You should apply more calcium powder just before breeding, or purchase a calcium and vitamin mix that is balanced for breeding agamas. You can make your own calcium supplement from well sanitised ground egg shells

Create a safe area for your female to lay. You can use a wide bowl, or a box that fits into her vivarium. This should be covered with a thin layer of vermiculite to cushion the eggs. The female needs to be able to get in and out of the laying area easily.

Watch your agama’s behavior toward each other. The male may begin to change colors to attract the female. When the female is ready to breed, it will open its hindquarters to the male. The mating process usually begins with the male nodding his head and can last a few minutes.

Observe your female agama. If breeding was successful, the female should lay a large clutch of eggs, usually between 15 and 30, hopefully in the egg-laying area. The vivarium should incubate the eggs, and they will hatch two to four months after being laid.

**Remove the male from the female’s enclosure when you suspect pregnancy. Leave the female in the familiar vivarium, where she should feel safe enough to lay her eggs.

GOODLUCK breeding your first Agama lizard!!!

1 Like

Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 26, 2014
grin grin grin
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Nobody: 10:49am On Jul 26, 2014
dreyjacs: grin grin grin
what is funny about this?
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Sparrow13: 11:07am On Jul 26, 2014
So everything can now be farmed ?
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 26, 2014
ajibolabd: what is dis one saying?
read the OP you will understand
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Emmysteve(m): 7:43am On Jul 27, 2014
Sparrow13: So everything can now be farmed ?
very soon we go hear " Learn how to farm house fly and mosquitoes"

8 Likes

Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:47pm On Jul 27, 2014
Nice one @OP.
Although,i dont want to comment initially but the topic keep running through my mind.
Very good one but let me ask some questions here
Are you into the business?
Do you have agama breeding house?
If so,How do you do this business?
what market potential does it have?

will like to know more
who knows,it might be the next thing in livestock production in agribusiness.

1 Like

Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Lachynos2k2(m): 7:17pm On Jul 27, 2014
@op am waiting for your mosquito farming tutorial e-book.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Jakumo(m): 12:21pm On Jul 29, 2014
Lachynos2k2: @op am waiting for your mosquito farming tutorial e-book.

Na mosquito farming dey reign now for Nigeria. No need to give dem food. Just release dem every night make dem go drink people blood sotaaaay daybreak, until dem belle-full.

When Xmas or Ileya time reach, poor people when no get money to buy chicken or ram go come line up to buy Agric Mosquito when get body well-well, and sweet like correct bush-meat.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Pavore9: 5:48pm On Jul 29, 2014
My siblings would be very shocked if they knew l opened this thread because of my historical aversion to everything LIZARD! God knows l killed multitude of lizards by stoning while growing up as l can bear the sight of them!
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by ireneidiva(f): 7:03pm On Aug 01, 2014
I'm horrified! People farm lizards Front page please

1 Like

Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by mount1ng(m): 8:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
Na I see. I saw a guy expertly catching Lizards. His baco bag was half full of lizards. I wondered what he wanted to do with them. Hmmmm. Nija.....
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by ayodejy05(m): 6:35am On Aug 02, 2014
Egbami oooooooo. Alaangba. Anyway I will research on it.
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:30pm On Aug 03, 2014
Rearing of geckos could be the next thread

1 Like

Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 04, 2014
Lesgupnigeria: Nice one @OP.
Although,i dont want to comment initially but the topic keep running through my mind.
Very good one but let me ask some questions here
Are you into the business?
Do you have agama breeding house?
If so,How do you do this business?
what market potential does it have?

will like to know more
who knows,it might be the next thing in livestock production in agribusiness.
sorry sir for my long absence. I am not into the business at the moment. The steps listed can be used for rearing for you own pleasure incase you are wary of picking the ones that live in the wild.
It is may be not yet practicable on a commercial/large scale.
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:37am On Aug 05, 2014
krall: sorry sir for my long absence. I am not into the business at the moment. The steps listed can be used for rearing for you own pleasure incase you are wary of picking the ones that live in the wild.
Ok
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by egopersonified(f): 12:05pm On Aug 05, 2014
krall: sorry sir for my long absence. I am not into the business at the moment. The steps listed can be used for rearing for you own pleasure incase you are wary of picking the ones that live in the wild.

Smart guy, very funny answer. Cant stop laughing.

1 Like

Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 05, 2014
egopersonified:

Smart guy, very funny answer. Cant stop laughing.
madam, no market for you to spoil today grin grin
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by xmich(m): 7:29pm On Mar 05, 2015
chai one mans food is another mans poisongrin
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by madgoat(m): 10:59pm On Mar 05, 2015
shocked shocked shocked wonders shall never end
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Nobody: 7:09am On Mar 06, 2015
mount1ng:
Na I see. I saw a guy expertly catching Lizards. His baco bag was half full of lizards. I wondered what he wanted to do with them. Hmmmm. Nija.....
I have also seen a young man with a bagco bag filled with lizards. I called him aside and asked him what he wanted to do with them. He told me he has a contract with several Chinese restaurants at Apapa to supply Lizards. Now even though i don't eat lizards, i know very well that they are a good source of white meat just like Chicken, Snail, Rabbit, Octopus, Frogs, etc; and white meat is nutritious and poses less risk when compared to red meat.
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by PresidKing(m): 5:31am On Aug 28, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by dgitrader(m): 10:11am On Aug 28, 2015
please move this to the jokes section. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by adexsimply(m): 8:37am On Nov 19, 2015
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Baroba(m): 8:19pm On Nov 19, 2015
Na native doctors go be your customers be that...

1 Like

Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by OmoOshodi(m): 7:40pm On Apr 22, 2020
Lalasticlala
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by Psalmy2cute(m): 7:48pm On Apr 22, 2020
if we continue like this, we'll begin the rear cockroach like china
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by excanny: 11:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
coronavirus loading.... cheesy
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by benzion72(m): 8:53am On Apr 23, 2020
Interesting, so how does it taste in the mouth. Who is buying the Agama from you. Help us with picture of your own agama lizard farm
Re: Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters by benzion72(m): 8:57am On Apr 23, 2020
I have also seen a young man with a bagco bag filled with lizards. I called him aside and asked him what he wanted to do with them. He told me he has a contract with several Chinese restaurants at Apapa to supply Lizards. Now even though i don't eat lizards, i know very well that they are a good source of white meat just like Chicken, Snail, Rabbit, Octopus, Frogs, etc; and white meat is nutritious and poses less risk when compared to red meat.

Lizard are simple to catch, they are cold blooded animal, just go to where they sleep early in the morning before sun rises you will be picking them life

(1) (Reply)

Agro-processing Machinery And Equipment Suppliers / 4 Weeks Old Broilers Are For Sale In Ibadan / Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.