Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,348 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? (935 Views)

8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. / Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? / Mothers: What Was Your Baby's Birth Weight? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 26, 2014
Early this morning my neighbour's 2 years old son kept screaming to the mother; "I want to see my daddy repeatedly". Honestly I was laden with emotion when I heard the little kid sprout out those words. The mother was so angry that she retorted: " I will spank you now, will you shut up. At this tender age of 2 you have started disturbing me. If you go on like this, I will go and drop you at your fathers gate so that when he drives out he will see you and pick you up".

The kid continue bellowing until the mom calms him down: "Very soon when you are of age, I will take you to your father so you can enjoy with the other kids, play inside the vast compound, enjoy the swimming pool and your dad will dot on you"

This neighbour of mine is a barrister, married to a very rich man but separated when she was 6 month pregnant of this young lad who has brush her emotional this morning. She has been responsible for the kid all this while and the suppose father has never shown face not even for a minute. For her, I think she have moved on since her fashion sense nowadays don't actually represent her former self.

Single mom and nairalanders, how will u handle this scenario?
Re: Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? by crackhaus: 11:16am On Jul 26, 2014
One of the downsides to single motherhood, the kids at an early age will always miss and in some cases seek out a father figure.

If you're asking what I'll do, let me use an uncle of mine as an example:

When his little boy became curious and started asking questions about why he never sees his mother anymore (the kid was about 2years old when she walked out on the marriage with only her bags), my uncle would always tell him, "boy forget about your mother, she is not a good woman..she left you and didn't think twice, she does not love you, she does not want you".

Those are harsh words if you ask me, but they couldn't be further from the truth.
I never understand how a woman can turn her back on her child, the same one she carried for 9months.
Okay the marriage wasn't a good match, I knew it the first time I saw them (they're both hot-heads)..but i think It's okay to exit the marriage and still have some connection with the child at least, instead of just turning one's back completely on an innocent child who'll always ask about the missing parent no matter how many times you explain to them.
The same thing goes for men who abandon their kids as well.

This is what I would do if I were to ever be a single father (highly unlikely though); I would tell my kid(s) the truth, no sugar coating, no nothing...just the plain truth about why their mother is absent. This is what I advice any single parent to do, just tell them and get it over with.
Re: Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? by cococandy(f): 11:34am On Jul 26, 2014
Yes but when a single mom does that she's accused of bad mouthing the father thereby making the kids unbalanced or men-haters or whatever else.

Well each to their own.
crackhaus: One of the downsides to single motherhood, the kids at an early age will always miss and in some cases seek out a father figure.

If you're asking what I'll do, let me use an uncle of mine as an example:

When his little boy became curious and started asking questions about why he never sees his mother anymore (the kid was about 2years old when she walked out on the marriage with only her bags), my uncle would always tell him, "boy forget about your mother, she is not a good woman..she left you and didn't think twice, she does not love you, she does not want you".

Those are harsh words if you ask me, but they couldn't be further from the truth.
I never understand how a woman can turn her back on her child, the same one she carried for 9months.
Okay the marriage wasn't a good match, I knew it the first time I saw them (they're both hot-heads)..but i think It's okay to exit the marriage and still have some connection with the child at least, instead of just turning one's back completely on an innocent child who'll always ask about the missing parent no matter how many times you explain to them.
The same thing goes for men who abandon their kids as well.

This is what I would do if I were to ever be a single father (highly unlikely though); I would tell my kid(s) the truth, no sugar coating, no nothing...just the plain truth about why their mother is absent. This is what I advice any single parent to do, just tell them and get it over with.

1 Like

Re: Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? by cococandy(f): 11:35am On Jul 26, 2014
OP if she has the man's contact,she can send him a message that his son is asking of him and wants to meet him.

It is then left for him to honor the invite or not.

1 Like

Re: Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? by crackhaus: 12:41pm On Jul 26, 2014
cococandy: Yes but when a single mom does that she's accused of bad mouthing the father thereby making the kids unbalanced or men-haters or whatever else.

Well each to their own.
But you know you women like to add salt and pepper when you're talking about someone who wronged you and broke your heart though..
Re: Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? by cococandy(f): 12:46pm On Jul 26, 2014
And men don't add maggi and onions? cheesy
crackhaus:
But you know you women like to add salt and pepper when you're talking about someone who wronged you and broke your heart though..
Re: Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? by crackhaus: 1:04pm On Jul 26, 2014
cococandy: And men don't add maggi and onions? cheesy
Not as much na, you sef know...you just want to argue grin
Re: Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
SeaGold: Early this morning my neighbour's 2 years old son kept screaming to the mother; "I want to see my daddy repeatedly". Honestly I was laden with emotion when I heard the little kid sprout out those words. The mother was so angry that she retorted: " I will spank you now, will you shut up. At this tender age of 2 you have started disturbing me. If you go on like this, I will go and drop you at your fathers gate so that when he drives out he will see you and pick you up".
The kid continue bellowing until the mom calms him down: "Very soon when you are of age, I will take you to your father so you can enjoy with the other kids, play inside the vast compound, enjoy the swimming pool and your dad will dot on you"
This neighbour of mine is a barrister, married to a very rich man but separated when she was 6 month pregnant of this young lad who has brush her emotional this morning. She has been responsible for the kid all this while and the suppose father has never shown face not even for a minute. For her, I think she have moved on since her fashion sense nowadays don't actually represent her former self.
Single mom and nairalanders, how will u handle this scenario?

As a single mom, i will tell him "daddy is gone far away for now and one day he will be back to see you"

I will never shout shout on him because he is an innocent soul just suffering for nothing embarassed cry

This is what i tell my 2years daughter when she say "daddy"' and she will say "'okay"' smiley

Wonder why some could be so heartless and careless about their flesh and blood
Re: Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? by misssPepper(f): 6:10pm On Jul 26, 2014
Let me look and learn.. my baby is just 1.. d time is coming
Re: Single Mothers: What's Your Take On This? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 26, 2014
misssPepper: Let me look and learn.. my baby is just 1.. d time is coming

How will you feel if your kid start crying and demanding to see father when you know its the kid's right and not privilege especially if your both parent had dotted on you.

(1) (Reply)

30 Things To Let Go Of In 2015... / Top-7 Crazy Things That Happen While You Sleep / Top Hidden Secrets About Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.