Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

How To Achieve Better Communication Skills - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Achieve Better Communication Skills (23299 Views)

Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? / Help A Nairalander Achieve His Educational Dreams / Open Communication In Marriage, A Plus Or Minus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by texanomaly(f): 10:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
It’s interesting how easily “your” can be changed to “our”.

I went to a seminar once on how to communicate better in a relationship. Here are some things I really liked.

Use “I” - not “you”
Example: You always do this!

Better: I feel frustrated when this happens.

Tips:

* One thing I really liked was to be physically connected when having a discussion. Hold hands, sit with your thighs touching or sit across from each other with your knees touching.

* Remain respectful. Even if you don’t like what the other person has done, remember that you love them.

* Try not to throw accusations at the other person. The less defensive they are the easier it will be for them to see your point of view. If they feel “attacked” they will likely come back fighting.

* Understanding each other and finding a mutually agreed upon solution is the goal, not “winning” or “being right”.

Here is a short story. What would you do in this situation?

Esther scooped up the rest of the vegetables she had been slicing and put them in the boiling pot of broth, with a smile on her face. She had been excited about this meal since last week when she saw the recipe on her favorite cooking show. Her husband, Kunle had talked about how his mother made it often, when he was growing up. It was his favorite meal. His mother had passed before she and Kunle met and Esther didn’t know how to make it.

She had called the children in about twenty minutes before, and they were playing noisily in the parlor. Esther almost laughed out loud, as she thought about the surprised look her husband would have upon arriving home from work. She went about setting the table. Then washed the pots in the sink.

Everything was ready. She turned and called out to her oldest, “David help your brother and sister wash up. Your father will be here soon.” As she was putting the final touches on the meal, she heard a car door slam outside. She stood at the entrance to the kitchen, a knowing grin on her face, as the children came running back into the parlor.

Kunle opened the front door and stepped inside, tripping over a toy as he slammed it. The youngest, Jenny, toddled forward, happily screaming, “Papa!”

He kicked the toy across the room before turning to Esther. “Why don’t you make these kids pick up their toys?” He spat at her.

He then picked up Jenny, who was crying, and turn to David. “How many times have I told you not to leave your bike on the driveway?” David cautiously moved toward the front door. “Get out there and put it where it belongs!” His father shouted. David ducked around his father and shot out the front door.

Kunle looked around the room. Turning to Esther, he said, “What have you been doing all day. This place is a mess.”

Esther took the crying baby from her husband and handed her to her brother saying, “Tobi take your sister outside and help your brother.”

To be continued…

I’ll tell you how it ends after a few of you have replied. Lol…If anyone does.

9 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 26, 2014
Okay, I find this very interesting and helpful - Don't stop.

8 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 26, 2014
Following

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by baby124: 11:10pm On Jul 26, 2014
Just listen more, and speak less

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by texanomaly(f): 11:13pm On Jul 26, 2014
baby124: Just listen more, and speak less

Good advice. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by Adrenaline123(m): 11:14pm On Jul 26, 2014
Pursuing
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by texanomaly(f): 11:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
What about the story though. Any advice?
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by klarke(m): 11:20pm On Jul 26, 2014
Kunle was sacked @ his work place abi?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
texanomaly:

Good advice. Thanks

The day I learned that you don't v to talk too much but listen more, my life has improved.

11 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by texanomaly(f): 12:12am On Jul 27, 2014
Esther watched the children leave. Then turned to Kunle. He looked angry and tense. She stepped in front of him and put her arms around around him. She held tight and said, "Did you have a rough day at work?"

She felt him immediately relax against her. He put his arms around her. "I have had the worst day." He replied.

The children cautiously walked into the house. Kunle gave his wife one last squeeze before saying, "I'll tell you about it later." He then reached down and swung Jenny up I to his arms. "What have you been up to today my angel?" He asked as he tickled her.

Over Jenny's laughter Esther said, Go wash up. I have a surprise for you." Kunle raised an eyebrow as he looked at his wife. She gave him a grin and a swat on the behind as she turn toward the kitchen.

Kunle chuckled to himself as he headed for the bathroom with Jenny in his arms and Tobi wrapped around his leg. He stopped in front of David, smiled and gave him a wink as he limp down the hall.

9 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by texanomaly(f): 12:18am On Jul 27, 2014
What has worked for you. How do you defuse a situation? What strategies have you used during and argument? Do you have any tips to helps us with our communication?

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by jayseehe(m): 6:03am On Jul 27, 2014
texanomaly: What has worked for you. How do you defuse a situation? What strategies have you used during and argument? Do you have any tips to helps us with our communication?

I have, but let me prepare for church service first, I don't want to go late
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by BrAkingNews: 6:04am On Jul 27, 2014
ok4

Check Out The Sweet Chick Who’s Ready To Set BBA On Fire
>> http://www./entertainment/sweet-chick-whos-ready-to-set-bba-on-fire/
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by bunmioguns(m): 6:04am On Jul 27, 2014
thank you

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by shadowwalker101: 6:05am On Jul 27, 2014
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Tank u
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by englishmart(m): 6:08am On Jul 27, 2014
In olamide's voice "I'm tired mehn, this story don dey long

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by habex005(m): 6:14am On Jul 27, 2014
op... You still typed To be continued after all those story...
na novel u dey sell...?

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by djaybaba: 6:16am On Jul 27, 2014
nice topic.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by AdeniyiA(m): 6:20am On Jul 27, 2014
i tell you, for marriage or relationship to survive a trying period like ur brief but instructive story, one party must be a 'goat' nd d other a 'sheep'

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by adezjamz(m): 6:21am On Jul 27, 2014
My communication skill don't help other party. It kills them. "Silence"
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by adezjamz(m): 6:23am On Jul 27, 2014
texanomaly: What has worked for you. How do you defuse a situation? What strategies have you used during and argument? Do you have any tips to helps us with our communication?
silence
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by imdolufemi: 6:25am On Jul 27, 2014
Interesting......now following
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by Nobody: 6:25am On Jul 27, 2014
The biggest problem with communication is that we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply.

46 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by Skillz02(m): 6:27am On Jul 27, 2014
Interesting, good job

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by Innodon(m): 6:28am On Jul 27, 2014
noted
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by Olsoo(m): 6:33am On Jul 27, 2014
*In patience voice* Ok, CONTUNIU!!!!
I dey here like dele...

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by Savigne(f): 6:38am On Jul 27, 2014
#Following
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by ebullientV(m): 6:40am On Jul 27, 2014
Poor communication skills or the total lack therof sinks many relationships beyond recognition.

Communication has alot to it than just listening and talking. Connecting with your partner on an emotional & psychological level matters alot. Just like understanding their every mood, and knowing what to do that help them relax after particularly distressing times is important.

Nice read(especially the story, enjoyed the part of d wife alot... Such sensible lady). grin

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by xamiel: 6:43am On Jul 27, 2014
Following.
Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by stabledoc(m): 6:46am On Jul 27, 2014
Very informative.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by Moblord(m): 6:47am On Jul 27, 2014
Nice

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve Better Communication Skills by Canme4u(m): 6:54am On Jul 27, 2014
Continue mehn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? / Man's 7 Children Die In Katsina Grenade Explosion / Man Narrates How He Found Out Daughter Was Not His

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.