Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,729 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

Help! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! (3046 Views)

6 Ways To Avoid Marrying The Wrong Person / My Brother Is Stupidly In Love With The Wrong Person / Which Do You Support: Marrying The One You Love Or Loving The One You Marry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! by spicykev(f): 8:04am On Jul 27, 2014
I have

3 Likes

Re: Help! by bellong: 8:19am On Jul 27, 2014
I wonder why people are always scared when it comes to marriage.

You don't get scared when to choose a friend or acquaintance, why should marriage be a thorn in the flesh.

I am sure of a thing, for everyone that is sincere with no filthy lucre or deep seated selfish intention and very diligent in looking for the right things will not be miserable in marriage. Not downplaying the "God-factor" that is very important.

So Lady, have an open mind, destroy the fear factor in you and have a realistic expectation which shouldn't be compromised. Most times, fear of what we nurture as humans have a way of working out in one's life. An ancient man once said, "What I fear most has befallen me".

May you find the right man you seek

6 Likes

Re: Help! by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 27, 2014
Nothing is wrong with you. 26 is not old, better marry the right person at 40 than marry at 26 and be divorced at 40.

Stop bothering about what people will say you are the one who gets to live with your spouse not them.

Again, ensure you are also the right person for a right man.

Have standards based on strength of character and stick to them, dont listen to those who tell you to "manage".

11 Likes

Re: Help! by visasubagent: 8:28am On Jul 27, 2014
You sound so cool and level headed.
-
All I can say is that life generally is difficult, unpredictable and uncertain.
It involves risk which we msut take if we want to move ahead, just that we must ensure that those risks are calculated ones.
-
You can marry a seemingly angel who will show his true colours later, you can equally marry one that is genuine only for him to change later. It's all about risk taking.
-
You need to go to such places you think the kind of person you are looking for can be found.
If i desire to marry a nurse, wife, I might need tto visit such schools or hospitals, or attend events meant principally for such persons. The same goes for Lawyers.
-
Again, try see if your standard for men isn't unrealistic. What you watch in nollywood are vastly ethereal, utopian and unrealistic.
-

Wish you your heart desires.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Help! by spicykev(f): 9:06am On Jul 27, 2014
bellong: I wonder why people are always scared when it comes to marriage.

You don't get scared when to choose a friend or acquaintance, why should marriage be a thorn in the flesh.

I am sure of a thing, for everyone that is sincere with no filthy lucre or deep seated selfish intention and very diligent in looking for the right things will not be miserable in marriage. Not downplaying the "God-factor" that is very important.

So Lady, have an open mind, destroy the fear factor in you and have a realistic expectation which shouldn't be compromised. Most times, fear of what we nurture as humans have a way of working out in one's life. An ancient man once said, "What I fear most has befallen me".

May you find the right man you seek
Amen. thanks
Re: Help! by spicykev(f): 9:10am On Jul 27, 2014
visasubagent: You sound so cool and level headed.
-
All I can say is that life generally is difficult, unpredictable and uncertain.
It involves risk which we msut take if we want to move ahead, just that we must ensure that those risks are calculated ones.
-
You can marry a seemingly angel who will show his true colours later, you can equally marry one that is genuine only for him to change later. It's all about risk taking.
-
You need to go to such places you think the kind of person you are looking for can be found.
If i desire to marry a nurse, wife, I might need tto visit such schools or hospitals, or attend events meant principally for such persons. The same goes for Lawyers.
-
Again, try see if your standard for men isn't unrealistic. What you watch in nollywood are vastly ethereal, utopian and unrealistic.
-

Wish you your heart desires.
Cheers!
Tenx 4 ur response, am sure my standards are realistic, only rare
Re: Help! by spicykev(f): 10:00am On Jul 27, 2014
aisha2: Nothing is wrong with you. 26 is not old, better marry the right person at 40 than marry at 26 and be divorced at 40.

Stop bothering about what people will say you are the one who gets to live with your spouse not them.

Again, ensure you are also the right person for a right man.

Have standards based on strength of character and stick to them, dont listen to those who tell you to "manage".
well said, thanks
Re: Help! by seunfavor(f): 11:37am On Jul 27, 2014
OP, no b small matter. i pray God ll help us not to make a wrong decision. That tin they call marriage scare me like 'hell'.
Re: Help! by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 27, 2014
Abegi.. Please find the right bobo first and complain later, or rather marry first and get scared later..

You haven't even started dating the guy you will hope to marry and you are already getting scared.

What help do you now need from us? We should help you hope for a good man abi?
Re: Help! by spicykev(f): 11:58am On Jul 27, 2014
please dnt post sarcastic comments here, if u don't have somtin reasonable to say just park well
sexyseun: Abegi.. Please find the right bobo first and complain later, or rather marry first and get scared later..
You haven't even started dating the guy you will hope to marry and you are already getting scared.
What help do you now need from us? We should help you hope for a good man abi?
please dnt post sarcastic comments here, if u don't have somtin reasonable to say just park well

4 Likes

Re: Help! by 1miccza: 12:05pm On Jul 27, 2014
OP if I were you I'll follow aisha2's idea it sounds so mature and sensible,that's the way to go...
Re: Help! by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 27, 2014
1miccza: OP if I were you I'll follow aisha2's idea it sounds so mature and sensible,that's the way to go...

The flaw in Aisha2's idea is that at age 40 it will be almost impossible to get married to the "right person." The OP will just be settling. Why not be realistic now and amend your expectations rather than doing the same, if not worse, much later, when all the tier-1 and tier-2 guys are already taken. Unless settling down with a man is not really a priority for you, which is fine, as there is nothing wrong with it.

aisha2: Nothing is wrong with you. 26 is not old, better marry the right person at 40 than marry at 26 and be divorced at 40.
Re: Help! by 1miccza: 12:35pm On Jul 27, 2014
ottizz:

The flaw in Aisha2's idea is that at age 40 it will be almost impossible to get married to the "right person." The OP will just be settling. Why not be realistic now and amend your expectations rather than doing the same, if not worse, much later, when you all the tier-1 and tier-2 guys are already taken. Unless settling down with a man is not really a priority for you, which is fine, as there is nothing wrong with it.

Otizz Aisha2 is not really asking her to wait till 40 the idea in her comment is that the OP should be patient and make the right choice she is still young...

1 Like

Re: Help! by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 27, 2014
1miccza:

Otizz Aisha2 is not really asking her to wait till 40 the idea in her comment is that the OP should be patient and make the right choice she is still young...

I was not talking about 40 either (hypothetical). My point is that the older the OP gets, the chances of her settling increases. At age 35, she will tolerate more flaws in a man than she would at her current age. Why set your expectations too high at an age most eligible bachelors would like to marry a woman only to reduce those expectations much later, even lower than the standard that would have gotten you a "better husband" at a younger age.
Re: Help! by 1miccza: 1:11pm On Jul 27, 2014
ottizz:

I was not talking about 40 either (hypothetical). My point is that the older the OP gets, the chances of her settling increases. At age 35, she will tolerate more flaws in a man than she would at her current age. Why set your expectations too high at an age most eligible bachelors would like to marry a woman only to reduce those expectations much later, even lower than the standard that would have gotten you a "better husband" at a younger age.

But the truth is she also has to be extra careful with stuffs like this i just read through a similar thread where the op was tired and completely frustrated. My advice is simply ''look before you leap''.
Re: Help! by Kanwulia: 3:40pm On Jul 27, 2014
Your expectations are WAAAAAAAAAY too high.
You must been watching too much AFRICAN MAGIC!!!! kiss
Please, come down to reality! kiss
You only need a man to pose with!
That is ALL they can offer!
The rest. . . .You have to do yourself! kiss

1 Like

Re: Help! by ogawisdom(m): 4:15pm On Jul 27, 2014
At 26 u shld b able to paint a clear picture of wat mr right wud b for u n u beta b realistic abt it. Mr right is individual specific, even dt palm wine tapper is anoda womans mr right tongue

List 10 things u want in a man n any man dt makes 7 out of 10 shld b considered
Re: Help! by AtheistD(m): 6:00pm On Jul 27, 2014
Maybe you are not yet ready for marriage. Your doubts are a reflection of this.
Re: Help! by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 27, 2014
Go on a date first. Free your mind. once you see your type, you guys will just flow. The important thing here is have an open mind.

If it doesn't work out, you jump out.
You see, very easy smiley

2 Likes

Re: Help! by hglmkope(f): 8:48pm On Jul 27, 2014
I do not think you need to be scared or worried. You are still young, though not too young for marriage. I think you should channel your effort in developing yourself more in order to be the right person for your future husband.
Singleness is a stage that is meant for preparation for marriage, it is to be cherished and not despised. Learn as much as you can now, develop your self emotionally, spiritually, mentally, financially and in all other aspect of life.
Don't give in to pressure from anyone because it is your life and not theirs. Most importantly, while doing your part go to God in prayers, communicate your fears to him. Ask him to lead you and guide you to yours because he knows the end from the beginning.
I am doing all that presently.
Re: Help! by spicykev(f): 9:21pm On Jul 27, 2014
Many thanks to everyone for your responses,aisha, chillisauce , 1miccza, hglmkope , ottizz, I really needed to talk to some1

1 Like

Re: Help! by dapsy4u2(m): 10:11pm On Jul 27, 2014
@OP hope your philosophy is not so expensive to buy into. I've been in same shoes..... We can reach a compromise. Cheers.
Re: Help! by Fant(m): 11:24pm On Jul 27, 2014
spicykev: I have dated before but sadly things couldnt work between us. I wish to settle down but starting over from the scratch with someone New is really difficult for me, my parents and people arround me think am unserious especially when it comes to choosing a partner. I am faithful, sincere, Godly and ambitious, it would only take someone that buys into my philosophy to attempt love again. I don't need a husband to pose with, I need a focused man that can blend into my life and be a part of my soul.Am so scared of loving or marrying the wrong person. Am 26 and every other aspect of my life is ok. I have some married folks who rushed into marriage and still complain about their spouse. Yes! am scared of being sad in marriage. am I too young for the choice am making? Have you ever felt like you need the right person not just anybody? please share your views.......cheers!
Think on this and if you find it confusing, tell me to explain.

Proverbs 29:25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.
Re: Help! by 1miccza: 2:53pm On Jul 28, 2014
spicykev: Many thanks to everyone for your responses,aisha, chillisauce , 1miccza, hglmkope , ottizz, I really needed to talk to some1

You are welcome that's why it's called a forum
Re: Help! by shizzleStar: 7:39pm On Jul 28, 2014
Put your fears away, even for those who dated for years before they got married, marriage was always gonna be a leap into the dark, have an open mind about, ask God for divine guidance, then hope for the best
Re: Help! by Mintayo(m): 8:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
ogawisdom: At 26 u shld b able to paint a clear picture of wat mr right wud b for u n u beta b realistic abt it. Mr right is individual specific, even dt palm wine tapper is anoda womans mr right tongue

List 10 things u want in a man n any man dt makes 7 out of 10 shld b considered
no man will make 7 out of the 10. Looking for a perfect or near-perfect spouse is not the key,its making ourselves perfect that matters!
Re: Help! by Mintayo(m): 8:37pm On Jul 28, 2014
Funny,at age 26,so many ladies would be worried that they are not married not to talk of being single.
Op,there is nothing to be afraid of actually. I just hope you are not the kind that has a list of 15-things i want in a man.

1 Like

Re: Help! by ogawisdom(m): 9:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
Mintayo:
no man will make 7 out of the 10. Looking for a perfect or near-perfect spouse is not the key,its making ourselves perfect that matters!

If no one makes 7 then she shld reduce d cut off mark to 6 or 5 grin
Re: Help! by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 28, 2014
@OP
what you are IS: too young to be so scared of marriage when you are not even dating.
your fear is the problem and you will never succeed unless you remove them from your mind. right now you are in a prison (and may never get out) because you confine yourself within a limited range of action. the less you fear, the more power you will have over your r/ship and the more fully you will live, in order to find the one.

also, you put too much standard too early, when the first thing you should be looking for is simple attraction....and discover your partner from there. if relationships and/or marriage was easy then we wouldnt have so many people failing at it....so give RESPECT to marriage and stop putting the carriage before the horses.
Re: Help! by EfemenaXY: 10:03pm On Jul 28, 2014
spicykev: I have dated before but sadly things couldnt work between us. I wish to settle down but starting over from the scratch with someone New is really difficult for me, my parents and people arround me think am unserious especially when it comes to choosing a partner. I am faithful, sincere, Godly and ambitious, it would only take someone that buys into my philosophy to attempt love again. I don't need a husband to pose with, I need a focused man that can blend into my life and be a part of my soul. Am so scared of loving or marrying the wrong person. Am 26 and every other aspect of my life is ok. I have some married folks who rushed into marriage and still complain about their spouse. Yes! am scared of being sad in marriage. am I too young for the choice am making? Have you ever felt like you need the right person not just anybody? please share your views.......cheers!

You sound well-grounded and independent, yet, you buy into societal pressure?

Why torment yourself about marriage if you're that petrified of it?
Re: Help! by Mintayo(m): 11:32pm On Jul 28, 2014
ogawisdom:

If no one makes 7 then she shld reduce d cut off mark to 6 or 5 grin
Lol
Re: Help! by Vikky014(f): 12:12am On Jul 29, 2014
EfemenaXY:

You sound well-grounded and independent, yet, you buy into societal pressure?

Why torment yourself about marriage if you're that petrified of it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Right For Me To Help My Girl Friend Find A Job? / Pls How True Is This / Help Find Sharon Omolayo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.