Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,882 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:22 AM

The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew (73018 Views)

Ofe Akwu Vs Tomato Stew / The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? / Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by mystiqueDZ(f): 5:54am On Aug 06, 2014
It's not about frying well!some species of tomato ve that annoying sour taste...sugar does it for me though grin
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by farano(f): 7:13am On Aug 06, 2014
mystiqueDZ: It's not about frying well!some species of tomato ve that annoying sour taste...sugar does it for me though grin
Tell me this is a joke shocked
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by forevermine: 8:43am On Aug 06, 2014
mayblossom:
@mayblossom, you sabi! You said it just as it should be. And this is my mama's exact procedure. It doesn't fail...
Exactly!! Fry the tomato well well until it´s done. How do you know you´ve fried it enough? Lift some quantity with your frying spoon. You´ll notice that even in the spoon, the tomato will continue frying (showing heat bubbles) for a few seconds before it stops. Then you´re good to go. Go ahead and add your meat stock and enjoy your tasty stew.My grandma taught me this, so it has been working since like forever. But the ish is that you can´t leave the kitchen o. You have to stay there and continue stirring the tomato while frying to avoid getting burnt and turning black or darker than you like. It takes time and requires patience.

One secret though...you can reduce the water content by boiling the tomato immediately after blending it. When it gets very thick and almost without water(same thickness as tin tomato), then you can start frying. The boiling reduces frying time, thereby reducing the time you get to spend in the kitchen cos while boiling, you don´t need to stir it, just monitor with your eyes.
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by annylove(f): 12:54pm On Aug 06, 2014
You are very correct @farano, tomatoes has a very high level of acidic content. I do filter it whenever i want to prepare my stew, bc when u sieve bf cooking u always get dt sour taste out and it taste real good.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by quesra(f): 10:14pm On Aug 06, 2014
mayblossom:

Exactly!! Fry the tomato well well until it´s done. How do you know you´ve fried it enough? Lift some quantity with your frying spoon. You´ll notice that even in the spoon, the tomato will continue frying (showing heat bubbles) for a few seconds before it stops. Then you´re good to go. Go ahead and add your meat stock and enjoy your tasty stew.My grandma taught me this, so it has been working since like forever. But the ish is that you can´t leave the kitchen o. You have to stay there and continue stirring the tomato while frying to avoid getting burnt and turning black or darker than you like. It takes time and requires patience.

One secret though...you can reduce the water content by boiling the tomato immediately after blending it. When it gets very thick and almost without water(same thickness as tin tomato), then you can start frying. The boiling reduces frying time, thereby reducing the time you get to spend in the kitchen cos while boiling, you don´t need to stir it, just monitor with your eyes.

You've said it all
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by longerthroat(m): 10:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
why una wan do person longer throat? tongue
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by dalynch(f): 9:47am On Aug 07, 2014
Onion does it best boil Ur tomatoes for 5 mins sieve wit sack or cloth gently. Fry to some extent den blend Ur onion(plenty)or cut. Nd pour in d frying tomatoes nd fry together all sour taste goes off . Hmm very tasty..

1 Like

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by kizzle4eva(m): 12:26pm On Aug 07, 2014
mystiqueDZ: It's not about frying well!some species of tomato ve that annoying sour taste...sugar does it for me though grin

Yeah I tried sugar n it works like a charm. Now I knw why those professional chefs use brown sugar when they cooks some sour foods
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by mystiqueDZ(f): 7:31pm On Aug 07, 2014
farano: Tell me this is a joke shocked
Nahhh...works!
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by assana: 11:42am On Aug 20, 2014
There is also another way u can prepare ur stew without frying.
For me i dnt like frying foods cos its not healthy.
You can cook ur tomatoes to dry off all the water,then once it is thick,pour it into your cooked stock meat,chicken or whatever you are using to make your stew,add ur tin tomatoes as well at this point if you are using tin tomatoes.
Add ur groundnutoil and allow to boil for 3-5mins then add your ingredients allow to cook for 2mins then ur stew is ready, i tell u the truth u won't bother frying ur stew ever again. wink

1 Like

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by Sharoniah(f): 12:20pm On Mar 14, 2016
mayblossom:

just to add a little tip: when continuously frying the tomatoe, if you're getting it right you'll begin to perceive a very tasty AROMA even without adding salt or stock cubes
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by Dondav(m): 11:17pm On Mar 14, 2016
I fry onions, add garlic and I just chop my tomatoes, then fry em for like 20mins.... Then add a puree... Fry for another 10 - 15 mins...
Then add my stock... And then meat... Add salt to taste..

The stock already contains curry, thyne, chilli, onions, salt and stock cubes.

ENJOY.

Never had any real need for a blender.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

₦100 Piece Of Meat Sold In UNIZIK (Pictures) / Man Caught "TAKING" Sallah Meat & Rice By His Host (Pics/Video) / Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.