Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,325 members, 7,780,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:53 PM

Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' (1658 Views)

Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! / Hennessy Reunites Plantashun Boiz On Stage [pictures] / Mission Impossible 4: Brad Pitt To Replace Tom Cruise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' by BobiJoe: 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2014
Off the success of the just released movie adaptation of her novel Half of a Yellow Sun,Nigerian Author Ngozi Chimamanda Adichie is soon to see her most recent novel Americanah come to life on screen with the likes of Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o and Producer Brad Pitt.

Lupita Nyong'o will reunite
with the producer who helped make her a
star, Brad Pitt, on a tale of lovelorn Nigerian
migrants, according to the Hollywood
Reporter.
Nyong'o, who won the best supporting
actress prize in March for her turn in Steve
McQueen's 12 Years a Slave, is set for a lead
role in Americanah. The film, based on
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's prize-winning
novel, will be produced by Pitt under his
Plan B banner.
"It is such an honour to have the opportunity
to bring Ms Adichie's brilliant book to the
screen," Nyong'o said. "Page after page, I
was struck by Ifemelu and Obinze's stories,
whose experiences as African immigrants are
so specific and also so imminently relatable.
It is a thrilling challenge to tell a truly
international story so full of love, humour
and heart."
Americanah centres on two young Nigerians,
Ifemelu and Obinze, who are separated after
falling in love. Determined to leave a nation
riven by military dictatorship, Ifemelu
secures a place at an American university.
Obinze is unable to secure a visa for a
country suffering the aftermath of 9/11 and
instead suffers as an undocumented
immigrant in London.

Re: Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' by expozey(f): 5:59pm On Dec 07, 2014
Waiting eagerly to see it. Hope she(Lupita) lives up to the hype.
Re: Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' by TheFury: 7:32pm On Dec 07, 2014
Whatda hell?!!..... The movie is going to be a disaster if Lupita Plays Ifemelu...Lupita is not even remotely close to the character of Ifemelu. Must she act it?.....why can't they find any African actor doesn't even have to be Nigerian...prep them for the role?......the same ish with Half of a yellow Sun will crop up with this movie.
Re: Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' by genderruler(f): 8:45pm On Dec 07, 2014
TheFury:
Whatda hell?!!..... The movie is going to be a disaster if Lupita Plays Ifemelu...Lupita is not even remotely close to the character of Ifemelu. Must she act it?.....why can't they find any African actor doesn't even have to be Nigerian...prep them for the role?......the same ish with Half of a yellow Sun will crop up with this movie.

why can't she play Ifemelu? atleast she had featured in some pan African films, more also she had her primary education in Nairobi....
Re: Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' by TheFury: 10:36pm On Dec 07, 2014
genderruler:

why can't she play Ifemelu? atleast she had featured in some pan African films, more also she had her primary education in Nairobi....

True. But lupita doesn't fit the character physically at all...not even close. If u have read the book you may understand. There are a lot of actors out there they can use...and bring to stardom in the process. Casting the wrong sort of person for a role is the first step to ruining a movie.
Re: Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' by genderruler(f): 8:25am On Dec 08, 2014
TheFury:

True. But lupita doesn't fit the character physically at all...not even close. If u have read the book you may understand. There are a lot of actors out there they can use...and bring to stardom in the process. Casting the wrong sort of person for a role is the first step to ruining a movie.

i understand where you u are coming from, i can't even say how crappy Chiwetel was on half a yellow sun but it's her movie and this going to be a full hollywood project so let's wait and see how it's pan out
Re: Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' by TheFury: 10:08am On Dec 08, 2014
genderruler:

i understand where you u are coming from, i can't even say how crappy Chiwetel was on half a yellow sun but it's her movie and this going to be a full hollywood project so let's wait and see how it's pan out

Chiwetel?......he was even passable.....Thandie Newton had absolutely no business being in the movie, I was like the hell! shocked.......well I really do hope some changes are made along the way for "Americannah".....its her movie....she acquired the rights... doesn't mean she has to take a lead role, just as Brad Pitt's role in "12 Years a Slave" was unnecessary.
Re: Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' by genderruler(f): 11:08am On Dec 08, 2014
TheFury:

Chiwetel?......he was even passable.....Thandie Newton had absolutely no business being in the movie, I was like the hell! shocked.......well I really do hope some changes are made along the way for "Americannah".....its her movie....she acquired the rights... doesn't mean she has to take a lead role, just as Brad Pitt's role in "12 Years a Slave" was unnecessary.

Brad pitt!! i was like what the he.ll is this guy doing here, as for Thandie i kept on fast forwarding her part and actually i did a lot on forwarding on that movie..
Re: Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' by TheFury: 2:26pm On Dec 08, 2014
genderruler:

Brad pitt!! i was like what the he.ll is this guy doing here, as for Thandie i kept on fast forwarding her part and actually i did a lot on forwarding on that movie..

Lol..... I was really disappointed with the movie, it felt like a stage performance....especially that Kano scene, during the riot....that scene was unforgivable. Thandie Newton's role I just felt like smashing the screen......Now the woman who played Kainene was spot on.
Re: Lupita Nyong'o Reunites With Brad Pitt For Chimamanda's 'americanah' by homesteady(m): 1:50pm On Dec 16, 2014
I've been searching for the thread where some Nairalanders and myself discussed about Lupita acting as Ifemelu! I'm sure it was taken away during the terror attack on NL!

I'm reading the book for the 2nd time now, and I can't just imagine lupita as Ifem! It will be a complete annihilation of Ifemelu character!

Ifem had big breastzz and a firm asss, we all know lupita is as flat as a razor blade!

(1) (Reply)

Which Of These Cartoons Was Your Favorite? / Independence Day Images Download / 20 Reasons Superheroes Cannot Survive In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.