Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,499 members, 7,808,848 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike (1666 Views)

There Are More Nigerian Nurses In Europe Than In Nigeria – EU / Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? / Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by topchef: 11:59pm On Jul 27, 2014
Hassan Zaggi Correspondent, Abuja

Following the warning by nurses for the Federal Government to be careful in meeting the demands of the doctors so as not to complicate or worsen the situation in the health sector, which they said may be uncontrollable, the Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, has advised the nurses to be patient for the government to reach an amicable resolution with the NMA before thinking of the next line of action.

Chukwu, who was fielding questions from Sunday Independent, said, “The nurses should be patient to see the outcome of our negotiation with the NMA.

“I assure you that all parties will be happy at the end of the day. What we are after is to bring lasting peace to the health. They should be patient.

“I believe very soon we will see the end of this recurrent strike in the health sector.

“I appeal for all cooperate and support the government in its effort to provide affordable and qualitative health services to the people.”

Meanwhile, there are indications that the strike currently being embarked upon by the medical and dental practitioners under the umbrella of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), may have caused a sharp division among nurses in the country.

The division became more prominent a few days ago, when the General Secretary of the National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM), Yusuf Badmus, in a statement, advised patients to attend and patronise government hospitals despite the fact that doctors were not on ground to attend to them.

Some of the nurses who volunteered to aired their feelings to Sunday Independent in Abuja, described the advise by badmus as “suicidal and with deadly repercussion to the patients.”

A nurse at the National Hospital, Abuja, who pleaded anonymity, said that the advice by the NANNM leadership was “self glorifying and high level pretence”.

“I do not agree with the call by our leadership that patients should come to the hospital regardless of the strike being embarked upon by doctors.

“It is unfortunate that some nurses want to arrogate to themselves the role of doctors.

“Let us not pretend to do what is not our own. There is a difference between our training and that of doctors and there is a limit that a nurse can attend to a patient, especially at the tertiary healthcare level like our own here,” a senior nursing staff at the National Hospital, Abuja, who pleaded to be anonymous told Sunday Independent.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/07/doctors-strike-minister-pleads-nurses/
Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by ggrin(f): 12:01am On Jul 28, 2014
sadembarassed
Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by Jackeeh(m): 12:30am On Jul 28, 2014
Point of correction. There's no limit to what a nurse can do. A nurse has his or her job description. Same as the doctor. Their training is different. Different field of study entirely. So there are job descriptions. Not limits. Limits only arise when a nurse crosses boundaries to perform a doctor's job description and vice versa.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by drered(m): 12:35am On Jul 28, 2014
Waiting to see how this plays out
Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by nenergy(m): 7:30am On Jul 28, 2014
topchef:
http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/07/doctors-strike-minister-pleads-nurses/

Please check this link. I might be incomplete.
Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by aluunoble: 7:48am On Jul 28, 2014
Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by adeoladrg(m): 7:57am On Jul 28, 2014
*grabs popcorn*
Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by aluunoble: 7:59am On Jul 28, 2014
Jackeeh: Point of correction. There's no limit to what a nurse can do. A nurse has his or her job description. Same as the doctor. Their training is different. Different field of study entirely. So there are job descriptions. Not limits. Limits only arise when a nurse crosses boundaries to perform a doctor's job description and vice versa.

You got it wrong! Sorry a doctor, even a House officer can not only do everything an long-standing experienced nurse can do but also does the work of a Pharmacist, Imaging Scientist, Laboratory Scientist, Physio etc.

We Docs don't have any limit @ all, we are all-rounders...give us guns, we can storm Sambisa forest.

Current Affair (NMA 101): We now have 4 Arms of govt in decresing oder of superiority:

-THE NMA
-THE EXECUTIVE
-THE LEGISLATURE and finally
-THE JUDICIARY!
NMA is on top of her game! Big shots you know!

CONHESS 9 step 4 For House Officer
basic salary : 1,426,787NGN per annum
hazard allowance: 60,000NGN
call duty allowance: 799NGN per unit call ( in CONMESS it is 1,503NGN per unit call for HOs)

Pls sir, if I got you well, u mean should status quo be maintained as per the House Officers (intern Medical Doctors), and the Hazard Allowance being agitated for by NMA is approved, A House Officer Monthly Basic Salary will now be to wit:

Monthly Basic Salary: #120,000 (approx.)
Monthly Hazard Allowance #100,000
Monthly call duty (JUTH for instance as presently obtainable):#60,000

In a month, a House Officer (intern Medical Doctor) will smile home with #278,898.917 (approx #280,000; two hundred and eighty thousand naira?)

Sorry for bugging u sir!
In a year (annum) a House Officer (intern Physician) will smile to the bank with THREE MILLION,THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY SIX THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED AND EIGHTY SEVEN NAIRA (#3,346,787)?

Pls FG heed the demand of NMA especially for the sake of the House Officers. Fed Road Safety Commission pls endeavour to issue every Doctor dat special plate number our messiah Dr. Obembe demanded when he was sworn in as the new NMA boss. Inspector Gen of Police and SSS please don't forget the special security detail Sir. Obembe requested earlier on for our members, @ least ONE SSS Officer,ONE SOLDIER,pls remember not to attach a police officer so that their black uniform will not stain their ward suite! ONE CUSTOM AND IMMIGRATION OFFICERS respectively (for easy border access to neighbouring countries)
Minister of Interior pls see to this security challenge of doctors!

Nigerians pls note that these pertinent demands shall be periodically reviewed as time goes on!
Fed Executive Council pls award contract to Julius Berger Construction Company to build access road (u can take a clue from the BRT lane in Lagos state) designated NIGERIAN DOCTORS ONLY pls KEEP OFF!!!

Finally Mr. President in other to bring insurgency in Nigeria finally to an end, pls NMA Surgeon General needs the head of Shekau (as part of International Best Practices, Shekau's head MUST be without BLOOD STAIN)to really check his brain cells!!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by Jackeeh(m): 8:31am On Jul 28, 2014
aluunoble:

You got it wrong! Sorry a doctor, even a House officer can not only do everything an long-standing experienced nurse can do but also does the work of a Pharmacist, Imaging Scientist, Laboratory Scientist, Physio etc.

We Docs don't have any limit @ all, we are all-rounders...give us guns, we can storm Sambisa forest.

Current Affair (NMA 101): We now have 4 Arms of govt in decresing oder of superiority:

-THE NMA
-THE EXECUTIVE
-THE JUDICIARY!

call duty allowance: 799NGN per unit call ( in CONMESS it is 1,503NGN per unit call for HOs)

Pls sir, if I got you well, u mean should status quo be maintained as per the House Officers (intern Medical Doctors), and the Hazard Allowance being agitated for by NMA is approved, A House Officer Monthly Basic Salary will now be to wit:

In a month, a House Officer (intern Medical Doctor) will smile home with #278,898.917 (approx #280,000; two hundred and eighty thousand naira?)

Sorry for bugging u sir!
In a year (annum) a House Officer (intern Physician) will smile to the bank with THREE MILLION,THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY SIX THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED AND EIGHTY SEVEN NAIRA (#3,346,787)?

Pls FG heed the demand of NMA especially for the sake of the House Officers. Fed Road Safety Commission pls endeavour to issue every Doctor dat special plate number our messiah Dr. Obembe demanded when he was sworn in as the new NMA boss. Inspector Gen of Police and SSS please don't forget the special security detail Sir. Obembe requested earlier on for our members, @ least ONE SSS Officer,ONE SOLDIER,pls remember not to attach a police officer so that their black uniform will not stain their ward suite! ONE CUSTOM AND IMMIGRATION OFFICERS respectively (for easy border access to neighbouring countries)

Nigerians pls note that these pertinent demands shall be periodically reviewed as time goes on!
Fed Executive Council pls award contract to Julius Berger Construction Company to build access road (u can take a clue from the BRT lane in Lagos state) designated NIGERIAN DOCTORS ONLY pls KEEP OFF!!!

Finally Mr. President in other to bring insurgency in Nigeria finally to an end, pls NMA Surgeon General needs the head of Shekau (as part of International Best Practices, Shekau's head MUST be without BLOOD STAIN)to really check his brain cells!!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by Samgreguc(m): 11:38am On Jul 28, 2014
aluunoble:

-THE NMA
-THE EXECUTIVE
-THE JUDICIARY!

Sorry for bugging u sir!

wicked man grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by phantom(m): 11:54am On Jul 28, 2014
hmm.....nurses are gradually entering the stage of acceptance. grin grin
Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by Jackeeh(m): 12:16pm On Jul 28, 2014
phantom: hmm.....nurses are gradually entering the stage of acceptance. grin grin

And by "stage of acceptance", you mean ? Well, whatever that implies!!! I don't understand why doctors and nurses feel threatened by each other. There can be peace as long as each sticks to their boundaries. I, for once have never tried to cross boundaries i.e leave my job to do another's . Only then will I become limited. I know my job description and I do my job as best as I can. I don't feel limited. I don't feel threatened. And I most definitely don't feel inferior.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by adeoladrg(m): 1:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
aluunoble:

-THE NMA
-THE EXECUTIVE
-THE JUDICIARY!

Sorry for bugging u sir!

Classic! grin. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike by aluunoble: 1:16pm On Jul 28, 2014
Jackeeh:

And by "stage of acceptance", you mean ? Well, whatever that implies!!! I don't understand why doctors and nurses feel threatened by each other. There can be peace as long as each sticks to their boundaries. I, for once have never tried to cross boundaries i.e leave my job to do another's . Only then will I become limited. I know my job description and I do my job as best as I can. I don't feel limited. I don't feel threatened. And I most definitely don't feel inferior.

Pls do ur BEST and leave the REST for God!
We the masses knw that the role of nurses in health care delivery cannot be over-flogged.

By the way those nurses that are perceptibly sounding naïve might be elements of propaganda by the docs. Afterall some docs r married 2 nurses and would have been forced by dia husbands to air some sponsored views.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Type Of Water Do You drink In Your House? / How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries / Drugs Commonly Abused By Nigerians And Their Adverse Effects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.