Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone (17174 Views)

Man Prevents Arik Air From Taking Off In Abuja (Photos) / Ebola: FG Suspends Airline Operations From Liberia, Sierra Leone / How Much Is Flight Ticket From Nigeria To Liberia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 28, 2014
What I expect the Fed Govt to do is collect the flight record of all the passengers on board from the airline management and locate all the passenger one by one for serious tests, to know if there is any loopholes cause Nigeria govt has a vewi bad habit of waiting for things to get out of hand before they make move to do something. Buh some ppl wicked o, dis man knows he has Ebola virus and still wickedly carry himself enter Nigeria. God pls save us, it will be vewi painful if a single Nigerian die from this Dangerous Virus I swear

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Jhosh(m): 8:24am On Jul 28, 2014
Wetin go carry me go liberia?.walai ! if nan work.Den i go resiqn.
Person nofit die now..
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by nerodenero: 8:24am On Jul 28, 2014
Even If the affected person is your loved one
xamuel17: Anybody effected with the ebola virus should be shut in the head #gush! This is even worst than zombie infection
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by curtain: 8:25am On Jul 28, 2014
I thought I was the only one thinking this way. Other countries having cases of ebola should be served the same fate... I WISH ALL BOKO HARAMITES EBOLA DEATH!
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by ceejay80s(m): 8:25am On Jul 28, 2014
Good news
to hell with EBOLA
ebola na yoruba name?
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by ceejay80s(m): 8:29am On Jul 28, 2014
Stelvin101: What I expect the Fed Govt to do is collect the flight record of all the passengers on board from the airline management and locate all the passenger one by one for serious tests, to know if there is any loopholes cause Nigeria govt has a vewi bad habit of waiting for things to get out of hand before they make move to do something. Buh some ppl wicked o, dis man knows he has Ebola virus and still wickedly carry himself enter Nigeria. God pls save us, it will be vewi painful if a single Nigerian die from this Dangerous Virus I swear
dis liberian guy drank tea on that plane, ate food on that plane, put spoon for mouth, somebody served him and packed the plates.

7 Likes

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by mezebel(f): 8:30am On Jul 28, 2014
knightsTempler: This should have been done before now...hoping those that flew with the Liberian man have not contacted the disease already.

What functioning government does is to set up a special holding centers across all the entry points (land, sea, air) to screen passengers coming into the country.
does it sitting closer to infected patient will automatically transfer to the next person? Pls I need to knw. Dis one pass HIV
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 28, 2014
Ok
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by mars123(m): 8:31am On Jul 28, 2014
I'm sorry to say but Nigeria has fudged up already...I think that more people will die from the virus in a matter of days/weeks.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by mezebel(f): 8:31am On Jul 28, 2014
nerodenero: Even If the affected person is your loved one
be mindful of ur words.
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by ednut1(m): 8:33am On Jul 28, 2014
dis guy must have sneezed. used the toilet. used cutlery. nawa o. hiv cancer now ebunola virus
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 28, 2014
It is within the realm of possibility that the dreaded ebola virus was engineered in a Western country laboratory and guidedly deposited in an African country with the certain hope that it will spread through Africa to destroy our population regarded by the Western country as being too high! In essence,it might be a drastic population control measure by Africa's enemies!

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 28, 2014
I am so scared for nigeria because i am sure other people are already infected but no symptoms yet.
The govt needs to make this a national emergency and set up quarantine centers fast.
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 28, 2014
Sharp move, I can't imagine Ebola sitting in first class!
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by BedLam: 8:37am On Jul 28, 2014
njoku10: God Help Us
I really hate your likes! If god couldn't save the Liberian man and the rest of the over 600 persons, how is it going to save you? Don't prevent yourself and educate your folks, tell them god will save them!

Finalee: It's high time you reconsider cheating on your partner, because you will dieeeeee.....
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Dollarjunkie: 8:38am On Jul 28, 2014
Am so scared to my balls.. Its even late to say to locate the co passengers. Cuz they must have gotten many other persons contaminated by now if they had contacted it from this Liberian man. I will only get relaxed if there wasn't any other ebola death recorded by the end of this week and next week.
God just save us.

If one with HIV can't get infected with Ebola, many people will be paying to contact AIDS.
That moment when AIDS becomes a good news.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by tuffgongjo(m): 8:39am On Jul 28, 2014
For the fear of "Ebola" is the beginning of wise business decision(s).
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by VMLTDSMS(m): 8:40am On Jul 28, 2014
spiritfada: We were under pressure to release victim – Hospital

Arik Air yesterday said it had suspended flight operations to Liberia and Sierra Leone following the death last week, of a Liberian, Mr. Patrick Sawyer, of the dreaded Ebola disease, even as it advised that all inbound flights into Nigeria from any of the Ebola affected countries be immediately suspended by the Federal Government.

Sawyer flew into Nigeria onboard Asky Airline to attend an ECOWAS conference in Calabar, Cross River State.

This came as First Consultants Medical Centre Ltd, Obalende, Lagos, the hospital where the first Ebola victim in Nigeria died, said it was under serious pressure to release the victim.

Confirming the suspension of the flights yesterday, Arik Air General Manager, Public Relations, Mr Ola Adebanji said “As a result of the first Ebola virus death officially confirmed in Lagos, and involving a Liberian national who flew on a foreign (non-Nigerian) based airline from Monrovia via Lome (Togo) into the city last week, Arik Air will be suspending operations into Monrovia (Liberia) and Freetown (Sierra Leone) effective July 28, 2014.”

“The suspension will be in force until further notice. This decision is a pre-cautionary measure aimed at safeguarding the precious lives of Nigerians. Arik Air is taking this important measure as a concerned corporate citizen bearing interest of Nigerians at heart.“

According to him, the airline acknowledged steps the Federal Government of Nigeria was currently taking to prevent the spread of the deadly Ebola virus, saying “however, we feel compelled to take the decision to immediately suspend services into the two Ebola affected countries due to our interest in the well being of Nigerians.”

He explained that at the early stages of the development across West Africa, the Gambian government took the proactive decision to stop airlines, including Arik Air, from bringing inbound passengers from Monrovia, Conakry, Guinea, and Freetown into Banjul.

Adebanji added “Hence, in line with the actions taken by the Gambian Government, we trust, and are confident, that the Federal Government of Nigeria shall take all steps necessary to control and curtail the spread of the virus. We humbly suggest that as a first step, all inbound flights into Nigeria, originating from any of the Ebola-affected countries, be immediately suspended.”

Meanwhile, First Consultants Medical Centre Ltd, Obalende, Lagos, the hospital where the first Ebola victim in Nigeria died, has spoken out on the circumstances surrounding the incident.

In a statement by the hospital’s Chief Consultant/ Medical Director, Dr B.N. Ohiaeri and the Senior Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist, Dr. A.S. Adadevoh, it said the hospital was under pressure to release the victim.

According to the statement, “He was fully conscious and gave his clinical history and told us he was a senior diplomat from Liberia. We refused to let him out of the hospital in spite of intense pressure as we were told he was a senior ECOWAS official who had an important role to play at the ECOWAS convention in Calabar. The initial test result from the Lagos University Teaching Hospital laboratory indicated a signal of possible Ebola Virus Disease, but required confirmation.

“We then took the further step of reaching out to senior officials in the office of the Secretary of Health of the United States of America, who promptly assisted us with contacts at the Centre for Disease Control and World Health Organisation regional laboratory centre in Senegal. Jointly working with the state, Federal agencies and international agencies, we were able to obtain confirmation of Ebola Virus Disease (Zaire strain).

The gentleman subsequently died on Friday at 6.50am (25th July, 2014).”

Following the death of the patient, the duo said there was “orderly temporary shutdown of the hospital with immediate evacuation of in-house patients. This was followed by appropriate professional removal of the body and its incineration under WHO guidelines witnessed by all appropriate agencies,” noting that the reopening of the hospital would also be in accordance with WHO guidelines.

The statement added that in keeping with World Health Organisation guideline, the hospital had been shut down briefly for full decontamination.
Meanwhile, a cross section of Lagos residents has urged the state and federal governments to spread their dragnet nationwide to ensure that all the co- passengers aboard the Asky aircraft that brought the victim to Nigeria are quickly located and screened for the virus.

Speaking to Vanguard at the departure wing of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos, a middle-aged man, who identified himself as Olukayode, said it was not good enough for the co-passengers to have been allowed to go away without ensuring their health had not been compromised.

Another passenger who pleaded anonymity said screening of people should have been adopted earlier to stop the spread of the disease.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/ebola-arik-air-suspends-flights-liberia-sierra-leone/

NIGERIANS AND FLIGHT SHOULD SUSPEND REGULAR VISIT TO COUNTRIES OF HIGH RISK EBOLA VIRUS FOR NOW,HENCE NO REMEDY

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by BedLam: 8:40am On Jul 28, 2014
nugeseda: It is within the realm of possibility that the dreaded ebola virus was engineered in a Western country laboratory and guidedly deposited in an African country with the certain hope that it will spread through Africa to destroy our population regarded by the Western country as being too high! In essence,it might be a drastic population control measure by Africa's enemies!
Why don't you carry out your own test on Monkeys and see if it was engineered to kill them too?
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by tuffgongjo(m): 8:40am On Jul 28, 2014
Dollarjunkie: Am so scared to my balls.. Its even late to say to locate the co passengers. Cuz they must have gotten many other persons contaminated by now if the had contacted it from this Liberia man. I will only get relaxed if there wasn't any other news of this virus by the end of this week and next week.
God just save us.

If one with HIV can't get infected with Ebola, many people will be paying to contact AIDS.
That moment when AIDS becomes a good news.

a case of going for the less deadly poison?oroburuku ti ohun terin(a sad but funny situation).

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 28, 2014
ednut1: dis guy must have sneezed. used the toilet. used cutlery. nawa o. hiv cancer now ebunola virus

Exactly. Even the staff of the hospital where he was treated, immigration and customs officers that had contact with him, the cab driver from the airport etc.Its really sad cos having this virus in nig is worse than anything we can all think of.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 28, 2014
nerodenero: Even If the affected person is your loved one
Yes even if the person is my loved one. The person is gonna die anyway. So why not do me and fellow Nigerians the favor.
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 28, 2014
dont be fooled, they saw a dwindling rate of travellers and hence decided to publicly announce so travellers can trust their aircrafts for travels to other african countries.

God knows how many contracted it on that flight and who sat on that infected seat later when the plane departed.
they could have stopped flights to/fro liberian before this happened.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by julimax(m): 8:56am On Jul 28, 2014
Hmmm make e end with this liberian man ooo. Because if e spread, This one go worse pass Boko Haram oh! God no go gree
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by dabossman(m): 8:57am On Jul 28, 2014
coolzeal: Nigeria, a country that never take action or precaution until something awful is uncontrollable.

I tire o! Look at what Gambia reportedly did immediately. They stopped flights from the affected regions while we were still letting them in. Can't we be pro-active for once?

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by oladoya(m): 9:00am On Jul 28, 2014
Deuteronomy 7:15 "The LORD will take
away from thee all sickness, and will put
none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which
thou knowest, upon thee".

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 28, 2014
Lets wait and see if someone dies in two weeks on board that same aircraft. Then it is danger.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by nkolikaokona(f): 9:04am On Jul 28, 2014
That is good
Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by eaglechild: 9:15am On Jul 28, 2014
Cyndas:

Exactly. Even the staff of the hospital where he was treated, immigration and customs officers that had contact with him, the cab driver from the airport etc.Its really sad cos having this virus in nig is worse than anything we can all think of.
He had no direct contact with the general public as he was moved from the airport to the hospital where he was quarintined.

I just hope airport medics got to him straight from the plane without having to go through immigration first.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by OXYGEN01: 9:24am On Jul 28, 2014
ichidodo: Government should also suspend the shipping lanes from that part of West Africa...Even Ghana.
Mumu.Shouldn't it be the vice versa rather since its in nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone by jericco1(m): 9:27am On Jul 28, 2014
Haha now Ebola has made people with HIV/AIDS to be tolerant, and they be like "nna we better pass that man wey get Ebola"

on a more serious note I think & suggest that all the countries that are affected with Ebola virus and stuffs should be Isolated from African continent.. Hehe "are you Liberian?"

"yes please, what?"

"oh man did I just wave at you?"

"yes?"

"I've contacted it oh oh oh"
chiaaa!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Spain: How Is Life For Nigerians Over There? / 30 PDP Members Die In Road Accident In Benue / US Supreme Court Allows Parts Of Travel Ban To Take Effect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.