Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,501 members, 7,781,515 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:58 PM

Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! (34036 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Set To Team Up With Lilwayne / Arsenal's Robert Pires In Lagos For Airtel-Sponsored Event (Pictures) / A Shamefull Disgrace To Team Nigeria! (4-0) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Missy89(f): 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
400M WAS A DISASTER. THEY DIDNT DO WELL
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 28, 2014
Missy89: 400M WAS A DISASTER. THEY DIDNT DO WELL

Lmao! I've not been following the games - but trust naij to be a disaster everywhere. grin Always preparing to fail.

A country with 170 million heads and so much talents in diaspora, but harnessing those talents, which should be the easiest thing, is the most difficult thing for Nigeria. smh.

I saw the list for 100m yesterday, and Jamaica had about maybe 9 out of the 11 or 12 names that I saw(I can't remember the total number). With just two Nigerians on there. And Jamaica is a little country of about 3 million people. undecided
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by naptu2: 12:42pm On Jul 28, 2014
Obiagelli: good news,

Why can't one of these telecoms companies sponsor a telent hunt for athletes instead of all these Nigerian idol or project fame? We like to copy useless things in this country.
Do a talent hunt, discover young prospects, send them abroad to become world beaters and have the advertise your fast Internet connection when they are made. Simple logic.

I hope someone make this proposal to one of those companies, imagine Usain bolt as their brand ambassador for speed, its a win win situation.

Corporate Nigeria has done stuff like that in the past (and are still doing it), but unfortunately it is nowhere as rewarding as the music shows.

Remember that Mikel and Ogbuke were discovered at the Pepsi Academy (the academy is still functioning right now and accepts kids from 6 years old upwards).

Remember that MTN had its MTN Football Scholar, sponsored the MTN Lagos Marathon and several other sports development programmes in Nigeria.

Remember that Blessing Okagbare and Olusoji Fasugba were sponsored by First Bank.

Remember Bournvita's sponsorship of the Amateur Athletics Federation of Nigeria in the early 1990s and the resultant advert with Fatimah Yusuf, Mary Onyali, etc (where they were jumping higher and running faster because they drank Bournvita).

Remember that Oceanic Bank also had its football academy.

Remember that both Pepsi and Milo ran basketball clinics for primary and secondary school kids.

Remember that Mobil has sponsored our athletics championships for the past 24 years.

And there are many more. But what do these companies get in return?

You organise a press conference to publicise a basketball clinic that you are running with the NBBF and no NBBF official shows up.

You organise a tournament in conjunction with the NFA, yet the NFA has branded the venue with the logo of your greatest rival (because your rival sponsored a previous tournament and NFA couldn't be bothered to remove their publicity material).

Your organise a talent hunt programme, but members of the NFF are trying to fix it so that their candidates will be selected.

You sponsor a talent hunt programme, but money goes missing. The officials, coaches, winners, etc stage a protest because they've not gotten their money (you've already given their money to the association).

You run a football academy, but the NFF is trying to shut it down because you are not registered with them.

Then consider this - musicians can stay much longer at the top than sportsmen. How many sportsmen and women that were competing when Sunny Ade started his career will still be competing?

Who do you think will create the bigger buz for Pepsi at a secondary school, Mikel, Ogbuke, Tiwa Savage or Wizkid? (Remember, Ogbuke and Mikel were discovered at Pepsi Academy in Jos).

2 Likes

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 28, 2014
so America don dey play Nigerian lotteries be that
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by femi4: 12:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
Fresia01: dat guy shud come marry me if he is good, handsome and a good runner!!! cus am cute!!!
Is that tatoo on your chest?
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by tomiobj(m): 12:59pm On Jul 28, 2014
UjSizzle:
"fragments, consider revising"
You lost me there. What's your point again?
Was a silly joke you said. What's good news about an American wanting to run for 'us'?
The joke an American wanting to run for U.S
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by chucs: 1:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
henchamb: Even the commentator was crazy abt it but wasnt when one adeoye rep England in the same 400m.

Those guys ran very well.
Don't mind those English people because they are too sentimental.....In a case like that, they will never mention that he has a link with Nigeria.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Belmot(m): 1:27pm On Jul 28, 2014
There's another american in the nigerian team who switch nationality....... Mazavous Edwards in the 100 meters.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Missy89(f): 1:31pm On Jul 28, 2014
shymexx:

Lmao! I've not been following the games - but trust naij to be a disaster everywhere. grin Always preparing to fail.

A country with 170 million heads and so much talents in diaspora, but harnessing those talents, which should be the easiest thing, is the most difficult thing for Nigeria. smh.

I saw the list for 100m yesterday, and Jamaica had about maybe 9 out of the 11 or 12 names that I saw(I can't remember the total number). With just two Nigerians on there. And Jamaica is a little country of about 3 million people. undecided

we will get a medal in the 100m hopefully Blessing will deliver.

We just got bronze in Table tennis.

But the 400m Male was a total distater. one was DQed and the other didn't even finish
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by CJIDEX(m): 1:31pm On Jul 28, 2014
Fresia01: dat guy shud come marry me if he is good, handsome and a good runner!!! cus am cute!!!
its not abt you being cute, the question is .... is ur punany cute enough for an oyinbo boi?? tongue
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Asemo11(m): 1:43pm On Jul 28, 2014

linda ikeji i sight u
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
Missy89:
we will get a medal in the 100m hopefully Blessing will deliver.

We just got bronze in Table tennis.

But the 400m Male was a total distater. one was DQed and the other didn't even finish

Yes, the chic can run...but those Caribs also go hard. Hopefully, she'll get something. What about the men?

Naij has always been good in table tennis at commonwealth level. I think Singapore, India, and UK are the only countries that out-compete naija sometimes. I believe some naija guy won gold in table tennis one time at the commonwealth games.

Those Caribs are all from west Africa, with the same genes...and it's not like their countries are rich and well managed. They're just as underdeveloped as naij. But they stay out-competing Nigeria all the time. East Africans mastered their craft and they dominate long distance races. Time for naija to stand up, and start dominating sprint.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 28, 2014
Is that your problem?!
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by dtneicna(m): 2:06pm On Jul 28, 2014

Why can't one of these telecoms companies sponsor a telent hunt for athletes instead of all these Nigerian idol or project fame? We like to copy useless things in this country.
Do a talent hunt, discover young prospects, send them abroad to become world beaters and have the advertise your fast Internet connection when they are made. Simple logic.

I hope someone make this proposal to one of those companies, imagine Usain bolt as their brand ambassador for speed, its a win win situation.
Obiagelli: [color=blue] good news,

[/color][quote author=Obiagelli][color=blue] good news,

Is this the ex education minister pls?
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Missy89(f): 2:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
shymexx:

Yes, the chic can run...but those Caribs also go hard. Hopefully, she'll get something. What about the men?

Naij has always been good in table tennis at commonwealth level. I think Singapore, India, and UK are the only countries that out-compete naija sometimes. I believe some naija guy won gold in table tennis one time at the commonwealth games.

Those Caribs are all from west Africa, with the same genes...and it's not like their countries are rich and well managed. They're just as underdeveloped as naij. But they stay out-competing Nigeria all the time. East Africans mastered their craft and they dominate long distance races. Time for naija to stand up, and start dominating sprint.

a white Australian won the marathon to stun the east Africans this year. felt bad for them.

in other news,
a Nigerian boxer was out matched yesterday grin the match was so funny. during the fight u keep hearing his coach yelling, farabale, maje ko jade ni angle yen etc. very funny. cheesy

we will get more medals in tracks and field hopefully.

Blessing should be able to get the long jump gold .
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by revelationuche: 3:02pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by searay(m): 4:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
Japlon: When he is 40 ba
Lols, we go accept sha na America
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 28, 2014
pendusky: thank God no be Canoe Paddling grin

so u know abi? oloribu grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by kepal99(m): 5:26pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nigerian officials b buying foriegners... Foriegn coach, now foriegn athletes. Choi tufiakwa! Spits
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Mayflowa(m): 5:44pm On Jul 28, 2014

Do u really want 2 marry an American? That is where your life troubles will start, I swear down
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by pendusky(m): 5:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
tosscash1:

so u know abi? oloribu grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
what's oloribu? even as I don't know that word. same to you ooh cheesy

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
Something smells fishy....

Either
* He didn't quatlify for the common wealth games for America.
* Dropped by the America sports association.( Either he wasn't that good, or maybe had a criminal record).
* He got bigger offer( money), and endorsements from Nigerian S A
* He's baby mama or wife is a Nigerian
* He's mother is a Nigerian.
* He was adopted as a child by American parents.

Anyways....I wish him goodluck, and he better represent us well with some medals.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by darnley16(m): 6:37pm On Jul 28, 2014
UjSizzle: What's good news about an American wanting to run for us? undecided
now this is a girl with sense, and she is obviously preetier than u....@ amara miss "marry me o white man running 4 nigeria"
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
glitest: Something smells fishy....

Either
* He didn't quatlify for the common wealth games for America.
* Dropped by the America sports association.( Either he wasn't that good, or maybe had a criminal record).
* He got bigger offer( money), and endorsements from Nigerian S A
* He's baby mama or wife is a Nigerian
* He's mother is a Nigerian.
* He was adopted as a child by American parents.
Anyways....I wish him goodluck, and he better represent us well with some medals.
The US aren't members of the Commonwealth, so your first point doesn't apply here. Your third point sounds plausible; the US Track and Field Association may have considered him not good enough to splash the big bucks on him.

4 Likes

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by meforyou1(m): 7:31pm On Jul 28, 2014
OkikiOluwa1: which kind news be this?
The guy go win medal?
Last Bullet
A Nigerian can't join the American athletes like
the guy and d Ghanaian athlete didn't complete the race
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by daveP(m): 7:49pm On Jul 28, 2014
Fresia01: a million kisses for u!!
he'l hate himself be4 num 1000,trust me!
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 28, 2014
CFCfan:
The US aren't members of the Commonwealth, so your first point doesn't apply here. Your third point sounds plausible; the US Track and Field Association may have considered him not good enough to splash the big bucks on him.

Okay.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by daveP(m): 7:57pm On Jul 28, 2014
Missy89:

a white Australian won the marathon to stun the east Africans this year. felt bad for them.

in other news,
a Nigerian boxer was out matched yesterday grin the match was so funny. during the fight u keep hearing his coach yelling, farabale, maje ko jade ni angle yen etc. very funny. cheesy

we will get more medals in tracks and field hopefully.

Blessing should be able to get the long jump gold .

australian.fephew! Got me laughing @ bolded grin grin grin
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by adedayourt(m): 7:58pm On Jul 28, 2014

Ok I ll give u 100 likes for this
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Missy89(f): 8:07pm On Jul 28, 2014
daveP: australian.fephew! Got me laughing @ bolded grin grin grin

Lol.

Blessing in the final and she posted the best time (she actually jogged thru).Now it would be a showdown with Veronica Campbell.

2 nigerian girls in the final and one guy in the mens 100m

They should pick at least 2 out of 3 medals possible i hope!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ronaldo Covers Ballon D'or Magazine, Reveals Retirement Plans / Tottenham Out Of Europa After UEFA Award Rennes Victory / Healthy Living With Amara Kanu Launched (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.