Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,359 members, 7,800,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 (2489 Views)

Tambuwal Meets With Nigerian Pupils In Dubai. See Photos / Gov. Aliyu Of Niger State Loses Senate Election / Chief Obafemi Awolowo And His Family On Their Way To India In 1952(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by murtalaa(m): 9:53am On Jul 28, 2014
This is a picture of Niger Delta primary school pupils in 1952. There is surprise reward for anyone that can trace Oga Jonah. grin

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by mstik(f): 9:58am On Jul 28, 2014
shocked at least things are getting better
murtalaa: This is a picture of Niger Delta primary school pupils in 1952. There is surprise reward for anyone that can trace Oga Jonah. grin
L'm guessing the nekkid kid by the right?
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by IGBOSON1: 10:23am On Jul 28, 2014
Why are all the kids butt nakid?
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Descartes: 10:25am On Jul 28, 2014
Show me your blokus grin grin grin
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by WIZGUY69(m): 11:32am On Jul 28, 2014
@ OP.
1952! them never born JONA that time.
I feel for those kids sha.,
btw
GOD BLESS AWOLOWO.
GOD BLESS ODUA PEOPLE.
grin

6 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by obisage(m): 1:21pm On Jul 28, 2014
I can't stop thanking our colonial masters for bringing us out of darkness.
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by FastShipping: 1:26pm On Jul 28, 2014
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by anonimi: 1:36pm On Jul 28, 2014
mstik: shocked at least things are getting better

The real question is can we say the same (getting better) for other parts of the country
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by anonimi: 2:49pm On Jul 28, 2014
obisage: I can't stop thanking our colonial masters for bringing us out of darkness.

You should rather thank the late sage, Awolowo for the FREE education he provided massively and COMPULSORILY for all children to primary school.
Many of today's elites got their "breakthrough" due to that singular progressive gesture but unfortunately are not willing to continue such laudable initiative as they forget that their individual success amounts to nothing in the midst of squalor & poverty of their background and society.

6 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by 500GP: 2:59pm On Jul 28, 2014
KUDOS TO AWOLOWO FOR HIS INTRODUCTION OF FREE EDUCATION.

5 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Rossikki: 3:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
obisage: I can't stop thanking our colonial masters for bringing us out of darkness.
You are the dumbest compound he-goat on this forum. Look at butt nak.ed, malnourished kids standing there, after a full 60 years of uninterrupted British rule of the country, a clear testament to the massive corruption of the British rulers and their utter and complete disregard for, and neglect of the citizenry, even as they exported resources worth countless billions in today's money year on year uninterrupted from 1897 up to that 1952. And you are THANKING them? THANKING them? I mean, some of you are definitely cursed to be dumb and stup.id wherever it concerns white people. I don't know what jazz the whites did on you people. Even when they are killing and strangling you, you profess love for them. Instead of you to thank your lucky stars for independence, and the consequent massive progress we've made under indigenous rule compared to this nasty, ugly image of colonial failure and neglect, you're talking illiterate nonsense "thanking" your "colonial masters"? The colonialists built not one university in the entire country in their 63 year rule. When they were driven out in 1960, our literacy rate was less than 8%. Today that figure stands at 74% thanks to indigenous rule, which saw the building of thousands of schools across the nation, plus 135 universities at last count. In other areas like infrastructure, health, etc, the story is the same, ie only after the colonialists left did we start to see reasonable development.

9 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Emessy(m): 3:42pm On Jul 28, 2014
O M G shocked grin grin sad grin grincry cry I think I see Asari Dokunballs
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 28, 2014
At least someone showed interest in their future. The same can not be said of children today even though they have nice clothes and shoes.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Rossikki: 3:47pm On Jul 28, 2014
Aigbofa: At least someone showed interest in their future. The same can not be said of children today even though they have nice clothes and shoes.
They wouldn't have "nice clothes and shoes" if no one had an interest in their future. Nice clothes and shoes do not drop down from the sky. Snapping pictures with malnourished, nake.d kids is NOT necessarily a sign of interest in their welfare.
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 28, 2014
Rossikki: They wouldn't have "nice clothes and shoes" if no one had an interest in their future. Nice clothes and shoes do not drop down from the sky. Snapping pictures with malnourished, nake.d kids is NOT necessarily a sign of interest in their welfare.

The future is not limited to having nice clothes alone. Though clothes are necessary but he sought to develop their minds and history has proved him right.
From that generation we have great writers, architects, lawyers, doctors etc. Unlike the illiterates being churned out of our universities today.

5 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Rossikki: 4:04pm On Jul 28, 2014
Aigbofa:

The future is not limited to having nice clothes alone. Though clothes are necessary but he sought to develop their minds and history has proved him right.
From that generation we have great writers, architects, lawyers, doctors etc. Unlike the illiterates being churned out of our universities today.
We have thousands more great lawyers, architects, doctors, scientists and writers today based in Nigeria and overseas, than the mere handful we had in the 50s and 60s. You just need to get rid of your baseless nostalgia for the colonial past. As for Awo, kindly stop praising him for merely snapping pictures with malnourished kids. If you wish to praise him, there are more than enough reasons to. This isn't one of them.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
Rossikki: We have thousands more great lawyers, architects and doctors and writers today based in Nigeria and overseas. You just need to get rid of your sense of nostalgia for the past. As for Awo, kindly stop praising him for merely snapping pictures with malnourished kids. If you wish to praise him, there are more than enough reasons to. This isn't one of them.

It is the truth, this is not about any nostalgia. He built schools and universities like no one before him. Yes, it is obvious that we have more lawyers and doctors etc today but his efforts did not stop when he left office did it?
Your post obviously has a sinister motive behind. It didnt take you too long to get defensive.

5 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by iamodenigbo1(m): 4:12pm On Jul 28, 2014
funy pics
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Rossikki: 4:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
Aigbofa:

It is the truth, this is not about any nostalgia. He built schools and universities like no one before him. Yes, it is obvious that we have more lawyers and doctors etc today but his efforts did not stop when he left office did it?
Your post obviously has a sinister motive behind. It didnt take you too long to get defensive.
The problem is that you are trying to narrow down the post independence efforts of Nigerian leaders to one single man, which is wrong. Even when Awo was building schools in his region, were other regions not also establishing schools and other facilities? Stop individualising the whole thing or turning it into a hero worshiping exercise. See yourself as a Nigerian, not a south westerner or whatever.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 28, 2014
Rossikki: The problem is that you are trying to narrow down the post independence efforts of Nigerian leaders to one single man, which is wrong. Even when Awo was building schools in his region, were other regions not also establishing schools and other facilities? Stop individualising the whole thing or turning it into a hero worshiping exercise. See yourself as a Nigerian, not a south westerner or whatever.

I can worship anyone or anything I choose to worship. The truth is that he stood out amongst his peers. Posting pictures of naked kids who most likely had a better chance at success in Nigeria than you will ever have is silly.

4 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by anonimi: 4:26pm On Jul 28, 2014
Rossikki: The problem is that you are trying to narrow down the post independence efforts of Nigerian leaders to one single man, which is wrong. Even when Awo was building schools in his region, were other regions not also establishing schools and other facilities? Stop individualising the whole thing or turning it into a hero worshiping exercise. See yourself as a Nigerian, not a south westerner or whatever.

This is not about hero worshipping or not. Rather it is about FACTS.
Awo had great foresight and seriously invested himself into the education of his folks in Western region apart from other laudable landmark infrastructural developments. No other region matched that. Rather they followed his masterly footsteps.

It is also not about simply dashing cloths to the naked children. No! Unfortunate as the picture seems today it is a very relevant time reference of how bad things were a mere 62 years ago to enable us appreciate how much we have advanced and INSPIRE us to propel ourselves further. If we could do it then, it is very plausible that we can do it again and even do more & better.
I suspect this is one of the reasons why our longer nosed fellow homo sapiens have museums - to track their progress over time (millions & thousands of years)!
Rather than simply dash them cloths and provide immediate but fickle, un-enduring, non-sustainable solution to their problem, Awo provided education that launched them to their "breakthroughs".

Unfortunately the bastards who claim to be his political inheritors among us today have absolutely nothing in common with the great man.
NOTHING!!!

6 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Rossikki: 4:43pm On Jul 28, 2014
Aigbofa:

I can worship anyone or anything I choose to worship. The truth is that he stood out amongst his peers. Posting pictures of naked kids who most likely had a better chance at success in Nigeria than you will ever have is silly.

I have no clue what ignorant nonsense you're typing, especially with regard to the highlighted.
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 28, 2014
Rossikki:
I have no clue what ignorant nonsense you're typing, especially with regard to the highlighted.

Of course you have no clue. Let us leave it at that.

4 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by anonimi: 5:02pm On Jul 28, 2014
Aigbofa:

Firstly I don't think Rossik posted the picture.
Secondly, I think you don't need to have said the highlighted part to make your point.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
anonimi:
Secondly, I think you don't need to have said the highlighted part to make your point.
Cheers.

Thank you, I guess I shouldn't have judged him by previous annoying posts.
@Rossike make una no vess o.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Rossikki: 5:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
anonimi:

Cheers.

My brother how could he say those nake.d kids in a Nigeria with 8% literacy rate in 1952 ''had a better chance at success'' than a guy like me that grew up under indigenous rule with clothes on, and where education is available to virtually everyone? Some people's thinking is just upside down with regard to this colonial era. People have forgotten the reason Awo, Zik, Enahoro and co fought so hard for independence. If the whites were ruling well, using our resources to build schools, hospitals, roads etc like they were doing in South Africa, nobody would have bothered fighting for independence. It was because of the abject neglect of the country even while making billions from exports, that the founding fathers were driven to fight British rule. That picture up there tells you everything you need to know about the colonial era, and how far we've come under indigenous rule, despite our much vaunted problems.
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 28, 2014
Rossikki:
My brother how could he say those nake.d kids in a Nigeria with 8% literacy rate in 1952 ''had a better chance at success'' than a guy like me that grew up under indigenous rule with clothes on, and where education is available to virtually everyone?

It is NOT about the clothes, not then not now. Nigerian children today have a bleaker future than those naked.d kids in that picture.
I can explain to you why but some of the reasons are quite obvious in the standard of education between then and now.

3 Likes

Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Rossikki: 5:26pm On Jul 28, 2014
Aigbofa:

It is NOT about the clothes, not then not now. Nigerian children today have a bleaker future than those naked.d kids in that picture.
I can explain to you why but some of the reasons are quite obvious in the standard of education between then and now.

What ''standard of education'' are you talking about? At 8% literacy rate? In 1952 primary school was available only to a tiny few, not to mention secondary. Forget university. Why do you think most of our grandparents were illiterates? Peasants? They were born under British rule. Why were they not lawyers, doctors, bankers, professionals like many of us are today? I doubt up to 1 in 20 of us on NL had a grandparent who was a professional in any modern field of endeavour. In 1952 no real institution of higher learning existed in Nigeria (after 55 years of continuous white rule). Zik, Awo and co were not educated in Nigeria. There were no universities here. They had to go abroad. So what is this 'high standard of education' stuff? What education? it is now that we are seeing education. Yes we know the standards could be higher, BUT if given a choice between 'low standard' schools and 'no schools at all' I know which I'd take in an instant! Thousands of Nigerians who attended those so called 'poor schools' are excelling today in various fields of endeavour throughout the world from medicine to engineering and rocket science!!
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by obisage(m): 5:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
Rossikki: You are the dumbest compound he-goat on this forum. Look at butt nak.ed, malnourished kids standing there, after a full 60 years of uninterrupted British rule of the country, a clear testament to the massive corruption of the British rulers and their utter and complete disregard for, and neglect of the citizenry, even as they exported resources worth countless billions in today's money year on year uninterrupted from 1897 up to that 1952. And you are THANKING them? THANKING them? I mean, some of you are definitely cursed to be dumb and stup.id wherever it concerns white people. I don't know what jazz the whites did on you people. Even when they are killing and strangling you, you profess love for them. Instead of you to thank your lucky stars for independence, and the consequent massive progress we've made under indigenous rule compared to this nasty, ugly image of colonial failure and neglect, you're talking illiterate nonsense "thanking" your "colonial masters"? The colonialists built not one university in the entire country in their 63 year rule. When they were driven out in 1960, our literacy rate was less than 8%. Today that figure stands at 74% thanks to indigenous rule, which saw the building of thousands of schools across the nation, plus 135 universities at last count. In other areas like infrastructure, health, etc, the story is the same, ie only after the colonialists left did we start to see reasonable development.

you are a cursed hopeless pig. destined to be murdered your own wife.
why won't I thank Oyibo? when they left their home country just to come to
educate and bring us out of bondage and diseases. if your present government can do just half of what your colonial masters did, Nigeria would have become a paradise by now. how many new roads has the government build for the past 20 yrs. (I don't means rehabilitation) how many new schools have they constructed??

guy you simply an ingrate! nothing goes for nothing my brother. if they exported natural resourceful worth billions of Naira, why didn't. your great grand fathers use those to do something meaningful??

anu mpama!
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Rossikki: 5:47pm On Jul 28, 2014
obisage:
why won't I thank Oyibo? when they left their home country just to come to educate and bring us out of bondage and diseases.

Actually they came to loot your resources. They were also banking that enough thick dunderheads like you would believe they came for the reasons you listed. You proved them right.

if your present government can do just half of what your colonial masters did, Nigeria would have become a paradise by now.

Akwa Ibom state alone has done more for its people in the last 7 years than the colonialists did in all of Nigeria in 63 years.

how many new roads has the government build for the past 20 yrs. (I don't means rehabilitation) how many new schools have they constructed??

Enugu State alone has constructed more miles of roads in the last 7 years than the colonialists built in the entire Nigeria in 63 years. Can you name a single dual carriageway built anywhere in Nigeria before 1960? As for schools, thank your lucky stars your were born after independence, or you would have been in the village now, tilling the soil with a hoe and matchete, or hunting rabbits, or tapping palm wine like your forbears, illiterate as a brick.

guy you simply an ingrate!

And you are simply a hopelessly uninformed, ignorant colonial lapdog, and dunce to boot.
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by Kanwulia: 5:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
Boys to men!
Big-big belle. . .small-small blokos!
Twa! grin

This is a testimony that NIGERIAN WOMEN DO NOT HAVE TO ENJOY SEXXX IN BED WITH NIGERIAN MEN!
Thain my H-Agnostic Gawd say sperm sabi swim!
Many Nigerian women would have been labelled 'barren'!

Mu che che che che che
Re: Picture Of Niger-delta Primary School Pupils In 1952 by oduastates: 5:58pm On Jul 28, 2014
It is not a fluke that the western Region part of the Niger delta are second after the SW in corporate governance. The man ,along with his acolytes like rewane, enaharo etc single handedly dragged them out of the pre historic age and from the hands of their feudal leaders. I have seen pre independence pictures of many parts of nigeria . Many parts of the north and south had people whose only mode of dressing was leaves used to over their private parts.
It is no fluke his strongest defenders are the thoughts leaders from that region.

Critical appraisal of that picture.
If that picture were to be taken today, they will probably go to the market to buy some cheap clothes before the picture is taken.
This in order to deceive and to cover up for their looting.
However , the power of picture show a man who not only got his priority right, but also cared.
The school is not flashy but it kept those children off the street.
By giving a chance to the children of the poor, he made sure that they had the chance to succeed(okotie EBOH children were probably somewhere in eton college or oxford at this time )
When he building all these schools and dragging these children into the classrooms, he was mocked by the NPC /NCNC .
" look at awo's rubbish schools" they said.it does not look like the schools they sent their own wards.
Another thing I have to mention is that when Awo free education was only free at the point of use. The people had to pay taxes in the western region for it.
This is especially important lesson for the people of today who seem to want free things 1000 naira university education,100 naira health service without having to pay for it
The principle was

1 every child of school age must be in school.
2 every taxable adult must pay a nominal tax towards it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News!! NMA President Has Resigned!! / ABU Don Caught In Female Hostel / Channels Tv Staff In Trouble For Publishing False Story On Its Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.