Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,734 members, 7,806,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 (9970 Views)

A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users / Honda End Of Discussion Vs Camry Big For Nothing ; Which Is Better / Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by DjAndroid: 9:59am On Jul 28, 2014
Please gurus i want to upgrade my 1992 civic, i am considering 2001 406 with EW10 engine and manual transmission or 2003 camry big daddy. please advice me.

thanks.

Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 28, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:13am On Jul 28, 2014
cool Peugeot 406

Prestige
Better fuell economy
Rugged
Relatively cheaper parts
Parts available
Safe "car snatchers do not like 406"

I will go on later.........

10 Likes

Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by DjAndroid: 10:26am On Jul 28, 2014
GAZZUZZ: cool Peugeot 406

Prestige
Better fuell economy
Rugged
Relatively cheaper parts
Parts available
Safe "car snatchers do not like 406"

I will go on later.........

thanks
please tell me more
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Ikenna351(m): 4:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
DjAndroid,

Why is Lion the King of the Jungle? Even though he has limitations, such as, he is not the tallest, biggest, heaviest & most intelligent animal, yet he rules the jungle.

I repeat myself, why is the Lion the king of the Jungle? He is the king of the jungle because of what? His ATTITUDE! Yes, attitude. Lion has attitude different from other animals, which makes every other animal afraid of him. Also, that's why all animals respect Lion, including the almighty Elephant.

What is this attitude Lion possesses I am talking about? When a Lion sees an Elephant, what does he see? LUNCH! Yes, lunch. How big, heavy, strong or intelligent the elephant is, means nothing to the Lion because that's not what he sees. That's what makes a Lion fearless, and most importantly, "a Lion acts the way he thinks". And that's why he would go after the Elephant and have his Lunch. But when a Elephant sees a Lion, what does he see? EATER! Yes, the Elephant sees a Lion as Eater, meaning, the Elephant sees himself as LUNCH to a Lion. That's what you will find when you sit behind a Peugeot wheel, a Lion, a 406. That's what a Peugeot 406 sees Toyota Camry as: Lunch! Lol!

A very small Lion baby (Peugeot 308) won the 2014 European Car of the Year, even when Benz S-Class contested with him. Its called LEADERSHIP!

Now, go out there. Spend few minutes on the road, watch vehicles pass. What do you see when a Peugeot 406 passes? A Lion? How do you imagine being behind the wheel?

What do you see when a Toyota Camry (Big For Nothing) passes? An Elephant? How do you imagine been behind that wheel?

The attitude Lions posses is why they pass almost every check points without "wetin you carry? Park well!". Its called RESPECT! When you lead, respect from followers comes naturally.

As for the running cost of a Lion, a 406, visit Peugeot house in this section to learn all that.

https://www.nairaland.com/1003701/peugeot-thread-psa-community/49

Ikenna

18 Likes

Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by DjAndroid: 5:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
@ Ikenna, lol. I love the explanation. But is it all about the respect 406 commands, what about functionality as someone mentioned above?
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Ikenna351(m): 5:27pm On Jul 28, 2014
DjAndroid: @ Ikenna, lol. I love the explanation. But is it all about the respect 406 commands, what about functionality as someone mentioned above?

Like I suggested in my earlier post, go through the link I posted. The pros and cons of Peugeot 406 (D8 &D9) has been treated there several times. Just trying to save myself the strength repeating them.

But if you stay in Abuja, you can come to the Abuja Peugeot Owners Meet, hopefully, this coming Saturday, to ask and learn from users, all you need to know Peugeot 406, not just what you want to learn.

Ikenna
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by DjAndroid: 5:46pm On Jul 28, 2014
Ok thanks a million.
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by abatically(m): 5:54pm On Jul 28, 2014
I would say go for the Camry. The so called purists here will write a very long essay just to convince u to buy the Peugeot due to emotional attachment. The 2003 Camry aka big for nothing might look bland inside, but that car has a very very good consumer review of 4.5 stars out of 5 and also on on Kelly Blue Book, something the 406 can only dream of. It is more reliable than the 406 and the v6 variant it very potent. It also commands respect especially the XLE models. Maintenance is cheaper and u have a far better second hand value.

9 Likes

Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Ikenna351(m): 10:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
DjAndroid: Ok thanks a million.

Hey! I forgot to add.

The Peugeot 406 2001 model is a good choice among the early D9. Because you are sure you get one equipped with BSI unit. With that, you are sure the car will always be there waiting for you wherever you park it. Also, you will be sure no one will steal your Engine ECU since it will be useless outside the car. Unlike the Camry that will be increasing your high blood pressure every moment, whether you are driving it or its parked. A lot of people have parked theirs, came back and ran mad a little, because they could no longer see the cars they just parked some minutes or hours ago. Some would park their car in their house, wake up in the morning and found a stripped car. Lol!

Also, the EW10 engine, as you probably have known, is a hot cake in 406. The most selling 406 is one with EW10 manual. Of you find one today, the next day its gone. You may find one now, price it and leave to think about it. You come back an hour or 2 , only to find the car gone, sold! Dealers have even started deceiving prospecting buyers by selling EW7 to them as EW10 because majority can't differentiate EW10 from EW7, since they look alike. Such that even a clean Nigeria used EW10 manual transmission cost close to Tokunbo (foreign used). Unlike the I4 engine in the Camry that suffers cylinder head strip bolt issue that leads to destruction of the engine.

https://www.nairaland.com/1185689/toyota-camry-engine-stripped-head

The manual transmission you seek for in 406 automatically means no transmission wahala for the rest of the cars like. Worst case, you replace clutch component(s), if failed during the ownership. But with automatic transmission you find in the Camry, you will always be scared to travel with the car, because it may decide to give up in the journey or fail the month your pocket is dry. Lol!

Ask any Peugeot owner, not just 406, the last time he/she replaced his/her shock absorbers. Come back and tell us your findings. Even when they go bad, they don't make the cars bouncy, unlike the Camry that seems to bounce even when the shocks are still good.

Note, If you could get late 2001 D9 with 2 buttons remote control, that would be better. Because some 1999 -2001 model have 1 button remote, which you won't find as new in Nigeria. But the 2 buttons are available. If 1 button get damaged or lost, it means no more locking and unlocking doors with remote control, unless you want to go for aftermarket remote control. But it will lose the BSI way of unlocking and locking doors, e.g blinkers won't blink and inner lights won't lit for some secs when remote is operated. Besides, to install aftermarket remote control in 406, it means the Data wire will be tampered. And data wire is a place you won't like anyone to go to. Trust me!

If you decide to go for the D9, you must get PP2000 as well, as you are buying the car. Abuse is one thing a D9 hates (abuse of electrical or butchering of wires, etc).

To be honest, if you know you cannot afford not to abuse the car, then Peugeot 406 is not for you. You can go for the Camry the . Otherwise, it will deal with you mercilessly.

Cons of Peugeot 406.

- Be ready to face Airbag issue, usually caused by connectors behind the front seats. The scan result would always tell you "permanent fault: trigger 1, 2 or both". Bringing out the seat, cleaning the connectors or soldering the wires together, especially the yellow connector and putting everything back will surely cure the problem. On very few occasion, a failing COM2000 would give you that warning sign, but on rare cases, which has to do with loose connectors on the COMM2000.

- Peugeot 406 parts, especially the D9, are very pricey, both the genuine and fake parts.

- Complete timing belt kits are not available in Nigeria. You will only find the timing belt and water pump only. But the tensioner and idlers are not available as new. You will have to go online for that.

-etc

Ikenna

4 Likes

Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by DjAndroid: 11:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
I am really learning! Thanks Y'all.
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Ikenna351(m): 11:46am On Jul 29, 2014
DjAndroid: I am really learning! Thanks Y'all.

Its well. Just take your time and get what suits you, irrespective of all I said above. Because, I am not the one to own and maintain the car for you.

But whichever car you finally end up with, always remember this: there is big difference between Eater & Lunch. cheesy

Ikenna

3 Likes

Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by ichema4u(m): 10:51am On Aug 05, 2014
wow,

i have abt 700k, can i get a 2001-2004 model 406 with EW10 engine with a clean body foriegn used preferably? i reside in kaduna
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by MovingTrain(m): 8:04am On Aug 06, 2014
@Ikenna.

Good day sir, How I wish you could tell me more about the Peugeot 407 with respect to the issues discussed above.

Earlier when I asked, you said you had limited info.
Please indulge me now if you can because I So love that vehicle.

I've never driven any other brand; it's been Peugeot 504, 505, and presently 306 and now I wanna upgrade.
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by timbros(m): 1:42pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hmmmm interesting...

Where is CityNG? Your attention is needed here! grin
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Ikenna351(m): 5:06am On Aug 07, 2014
MovingTrain: @Ikenna.

Good day sir, How I wish you could tell me more about the Peugeot 407 with respect to the issues discussed above.

Earlier when I asked, you said you had limited info.
Please indulge me now if you can because I So love that vehicle.

I've never driven any other brand; it's been Peugeot 504, 505, and presently 306 and now I wanna upgrade.

https://www.nairaland.com/1003701/peugeot-thread-psa-community/48

Ikenna
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 07, 2014
timbros: Hmmmm interesting...

Where is CityNG? Your attention is needed here! grin

Truth be told that I have nothing against the 406, it's a pedestrian vehicle modeled for the unsavy motorist whose automotive needs are basic at best.

The Camry seem to be well accepted by Nigerians . They even gave it a name.

2 Likes

Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by timbros(m): 12:56pm On Aug 07, 2014
CityNG:

Truth be told that I have nothing against the 406, it's a pedestrian vehicle modeled for the unsavy motorist whose automotive needs are basic at best.

The Camry seem to be well accepted by Nigerians . They even gave it a name.

But I personally see the Peugeot as a superior brand over Toyota generally. Though I use Camry.

Personal view sha. From a novice o

2 Likes

Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by MovingTrain(m): 6:40am On Aug 08, 2014
Ikenna351:

https://www.nairaland.com/1003701/peugeot-thread-psa-community/48

Ikenna

Thanks a lot for the info. I found it educating as always.

Please sir, What engine specification should I preferably go for when getting the 407 putting into consideration durability, security, fuel economy and power?

Thanks
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Ikenna351(m): 8:23am On Aug 08, 2014
MovingTrain:

Thanks a lot for the info. I found it educating as always.

Please sir, What engine specification should I preferably go for when getting the 407 putting into consideration durability, security, fuel economy and power?

Thanks

Your "wants" list in a car isn't right. You can't get green (fuel economy) & power at the same time. You have to sacrifice one to enjoy the other.

Anyway, since less fuel consumption is on that list, the V6 is off, because it consumes more when driven in city. Now, between EW 10 & EW 12 (both Inline-4), I would recommend EW12 to you. Why? You will enjoy the 6-speed manual it comes with which EW10 lacks, if manual transmission is your choice. You will enjoy some powers as well, since it possess 170 hp. Unlike EW10 with 145 hp and 5-speed manual.

But, note that EW12 will consume more than EW10. And V6 consumes more than EW12. But in reality, its difficult to tell the difference between V6 & EW12 fuel consumption. Which I always tell people to man up and go for V6 and enjoy the 211 hp the ES9 engine offers. But, note that V6 in 407 comes only with 6-speed auto transmission.

EW7 is out of the picture, since its very underpowered in the heavy 407 (112 hp). Even EW10 do feel a little underpowered in 407, especially when taken off from stationary. But EW12 takes off like wild animal, sometimes, better than V6 at low rpm. The EW12 engine torque at low rpm is very impressive. It behaves like turbo engine, which it actually replaced in phase II 406.

Hope that helps. Good morning.

Ikenna
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 08, 2014
timbros:

But I personally see the Peugeot as a superior brand over Toyota generally. Though I use Camry.

Personal view sha. From a novice o

That's what makes car ownership fun.

I'm a Chevy Guy and my Brothers are both Ford Guys.

As long as it has wheels and it's powered by an internal combustion engine then I'm game.

1 Like

Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by auhanson(m): 4:45pm On Nov 25, 2014
Ikenna351:

Hey! I forgot to add.

The Peugeot 406 2001 model is a good choice among the early D9. Because you are sure you get one equipped with BSI unit. With that, you are sure the car will always be there waiting for you wherever you park it. Also, you will be sure no one will steal your Engine ECU since it will be useless outside the car. Unlike the Camry that will be increasing your high blood pressure every moment, whether you are driving it or its parked. A lot of people have parked theirs, came back and ran mad a little, because they could no longer see the cars they just parked some minutes or hours ago. Some would park their car in their house, wake up in the morning and found a stripped car. Lol!

Also, the EW10 engine, as you probably have known, is a hot cake in 406. The most selling 406 is one with EW10 manual. Of you find one today, the next day its gone. You may find one now, price it and leave to think about it. You come back an hour or 2 , only to find the car gone, sold! Dealers have even started deceiving prospecting buyers by selling EW7 to them as EW10 because majority can't differentiate EW10 from EW7, since they look alike. Such that even a clean Nigeria used EW10 manual transmission cost close to Tokunbo (foreign used). Unlike the I4 engine in the Camry that suffers cylinder head strip bolt issue that leads to destruction of the engine.

https://www.nairaland.com/1185689/toyota-camry-engine-stripped-head

The manual transmission you seek for in 406 automatically means no transmission wahala for the rest of the cars like. Worst case, you replace clutch component(s), if failed during the ownership. But with automatic transmission you find in the Camry, you will always be scared to travel with the car, because it may decide to give up in the journey or fail the month your pocket is dry. Lol!

Ask any Peugeot owner, not just 406, the last time he/she replaced his/her shock absorbers. Come back and tell us your findings. Even when they go bad, they don't make the cars bouncy, unlike the Camry that seems to bounce even when the shocks are still good.

Note, If you could get late 2001 D9 with 2 buttons remote control, that would be better. Because some 1999 -2001 model have 1 button remote, which you won't find as new in Nigeria. But the 2 buttons are available. If 1 button get damaged or lost, it means no more locking and unlocking doors with remote control, unless you want to go for aftermarket remote control. But it will lose the BSI way of unlocking and locking doors, e.g blinkers won't blink and inner lights won't lit for some secs when remote is operated. Besides, to install aftermarket remote control in 406, it means the Data wire will be tampered. And data wire is a place you won't like anyone to go to. Trust me!

If you decide to go for the D9, you must get PP2000 as well, as you are buying the car. Abuse is one thing a D9 hates (abuse of electrical or butchering of wires, etc).

To be honest, if you know you cannot afford not to abuse the car, then Peugeot 406 is not for you. You can go for the Camry the . Otherwise, it will deal with you mercilessly.

Cons of Peugeot 406.

- Be ready to face Airbag issue, usually caused by connectors behind the front seats. The scan result would always tell you "permanent fault: trigger 1, 2 or both". Bringing out the seat, cleaning the connectors or soldering the wires together, especially the yellow connector and putting everything back will surely cure the problem. On very few occasion, a failing COM2000 would give you that warning sign, but on rare cases, which has to do with loose connectors on the COMM2000.

- Peugeot 406 parts, especially the D9, are very pricey, both the genuine and fake parts.

- Complete timing belt kits are not available in Nigeria. You will only find the timing belt and water pump only. But the tensioner and idlers are not available as new. You will have to go online for that.

-etc

Ikenna

I think you deserve to be addressed as the Lord of peugeot, cos you have the database of peugeot stored in your head, at such i wouldn't fret at buying one knowing that you would always be there for me. One thing yet, the 406/407 coupe send waves signals down my spine, that's the one i would buy. I cant be afraid of peugeot as far as you are concerned.
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by softwhispers: 10:31am On Nov 27, 2014
Don't have a 'baby' yet, though I've always been a die-hard fan of Toyota cars. But l must confess that this 'Lord' Ikenna is really blowing mind!!!!
**looks left, looks right, then left again... bolts out of the Toyota crowd and stealthily steals his way into the Peugeot camp**
"after all seeing is believing!"
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Ikenna351(m): 1:13pm On Nov 27, 2014
auhanson:

I think you deserve to be addressed as the Lord of peugeot, cos you have the database of peugeot stored in your head, at such i wouldn't fret at buying one knowing that you would always be there for me. One thing yet, the 406/407 coupe send waves signals down my spine, that's the one i would buy. I cant be afraid of peugeot as far as you are concerned.

Lol!

Ikenna
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by chucky234(m): 6:01pm On Nov 27, 2014
Ikenna winning more apostles for Peugeot since 1878....
By the way who drives 406 in this age, why not 2006 407.
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Ikenna351(m): 6:44pm On Nov 27, 2014
chucky234:
Ikenna winning more apostles for Peugeot since 1878....
By the way who drives 406 in this age, why not 2006 407.

I still drive 505 in this age, incase you dont know or have forgotten. cool

Ikenna
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by chucky234(m): 8:51pm On Nov 27, 2014
Ikenna351:

I still drive 505 in this age, incase you dont know or have forgotten. cool

Ikenna
505 ?
That can only be Ikenna the Lion-man.
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Ikenna351(m): 10:44pm On Nov 27, 2014
chucky234:
505 ?
That can only be Ikenna the Lion-man.

It gives me joy to be the only guy that probably pulls Peugeot 505 V6 stick in town (Abuja).

Its becoming daily occurrence, people asking me to sell the Baby to them. But then, she is already a family. So, she is going no where. Lol!

Will be taking her for a trip soon.

Ikenna
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by chucky234(m): 8:06am On Nov 28, 2014
Ikenna351:

It gives me joy to be the only guy that probably pulls Peugeot 505 V6 stick in town (Abuja).

Its becoming daily occurrence, people asking me to sell the Baby to them. But then, she is already a family. So, she is going no where. Lol!

Will be taking her for a trip soon.

Ikenna
I might pay you a visit to have a cruise in your den of Lions, though I dont do stick no more, shift suit my mad Lagos.
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by gidola(m): 10:26pm On Nov 28, 2014
@ikenna, what about 607, what are the pros and cons?
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Ikenna351(m): 6:51am On Nov 29, 2014
gidola:
@ikenna, what about 607, what are the pros and cons?

Kindly direct your question to the Lions Den sir. I will treat it there. Find link to the Den below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1003701/peugeot-cars-attitude/59

Ikenna
Re: Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406 by Zane2point4(m): 3:57pm On Nov 29, 2014
yes no doubt about it 406 is the king of the year during its time and has worn many respect.

But my guy, do u want to go back or forth? abeg I rather go forward big daddy is current and trending cos its a modern car that has been updated both interior wise and the engine, pls let by gone be by gone leave 406 for the papas and go for a modern machine the big daddy.
Cos you will feel current and trending in ur big daddy unlike the 406 I sold last 4yrs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lamborghini Builds 10,000th Huracan After 4yrs.Details Of Its Successor Revealed / Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. / Bad Roads: Must I Buy An SUV?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.