Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (120) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347800 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DammyChrist(m): 12:54pm On Sep 19, 2016
sirRiddy:
Nice job!
Are you part of the GRE Facebook group?
Lots of veterans there. I met some Indians there who helped me
improve my score. They post from disparate sources which helped me
learn from different material in one place.
Secondly, you want to try this site: kaomanfen.com. It does not get better
than that for practice tests, maybe not as great as magoosh. I found out about
this pretty late.

If you make around 320 and have around 3.5/4 GPA, you can apply to K-state as a
safe school. Education here is awesome, the engineering college is a place to be.
Elect is just next to my department in the same complex. The funding is good and the
research is renowned too. Enjoy the experience, share the experience with us and good luck!

NB: Read more about K-State Elect here: http://www.ece.k-state.edu//

Sirriddy,thanks for your prompt responses. I tried the site for the GRE pedagogy @kaofen.com. but I couldn't decipher the Chinese language, is there any way out?
Also, I will like to join the savants on the GRE facebook page,I'm Akamo Damilola. my mail is success4dammy@yahoo.com.
I hope you will help me out.

Regards
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 12:58pm On Sep 19, 2016
happyday:

Right! Plus Manhattan places too much emphasis on hard words, which you might not need to know for the test. You should check out Barron's too.

Ok, I will. Thanks smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 1:17pm On Sep 19, 2016
Sheggy13:

Won't mind if you send them to me too. Email is sheggswonder@gmail.com....thanks

Done.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tblvck: 4:54pm On Sep 19, 2016
sirRiddy:

General inquiries are addressed to the grad
program directors.
Show interest in the professor research if that is
what you have interest in.
Go to quora and you will find different
ways to approach prospective professors.
You need to read their papers and critique
them to have meaningful conversations with them.

I better start reading. is it just me, but Barron gre simulator has errors in some questions which then lead to picking wrong answer. I wenth thought the questions I failed and realised the solution was different from the actual question. is it just me that has noticed?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pueshkif(m): 6:29pm On Sep 19, 2016
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by battoyyeb(m): 7:17pm On Sep 19, 2016
DammyChrist:

Sirriddy,thanks for your prompt responses. I tried the site for the GRE pedagogy @kaofen.com. but I couldn't decipher the Chinese language, is there any way out?
Also, I will like to join the savants on the GRE facebook page,I'm Akamo Damilola. my mail is success4dammy@yahoo.com.
I hope you will help me out.

Regards

Use Google chrome
Right click and you will see translate
Click it and all the Chinese will change to English

Cc
Sirriddy

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DammyChrist(m): 9:25pm On Sep 19, 2016
battoyyeb:

Use Google chrome
Right click and you will see translate
Click it and all the Chinese will change to English

Cc
Sirriddy
Thanks so much. I'm really enjoying the pedagogy,the plethora of contributions from the Asian gurus are awesome.
Don't forget the facebook GRE page too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by battoyyeb(m): 10:30pm On Sep 19, 2016
DammyChrist:

Thanks so much. I'm really enjoying the pedagogy,the plethora of contributions from the Asian gurus are awesome.
Don't forget the facebook GRE page too.

Your email?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tblvck: 1:32am On Sep 20, 2016
Elders in the house please any time management tips, observing my performance in timed tests and untimed tests shows that I really need help with managing time. 156 timed test 168 unttimed test the difference is just too much. please help....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 11:52am On Sep 20, 2016
tblvck:
Elders in the house please any time management tips, observing my performance in timed tests and untimed tests shows that I really need help with managing time.

Use your 'church mind' to time yourself while taking the test. grin

Divide the total time given by the number of questions and get the 'seconds allowed/question'.

While solving, skip questions you have difficulties solving and later return to them (if time remains) OR carefully strike out unlikely options and pick an option you know feel is correct right.

All questions carry equal marks & there's no negative marking

Leave the difficult ones and score cheap points on the easier ones FIRST.

@happyday. Good job keeping the thread alive! smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 20, 2016
To the gurus in the house, I hail oo.
I finally wrote GRE yesterday at the Galaxy Uniprep center Abuja.

Exam day
I got to the venue around 8am. We entered into the exam hall around 9.45am. We got sitted and the real thing started. The first section, as usual, was AWA. The issue task was somehow as it took me 2mins to get the pith of the issue. I used my scratch paper to note my points and arrange them and this makes it a whole lot easier to type (thanks to Kaplan). The argument part went well. I prefer argument to issue.
The order of the other sections was VQVQV
The first verbal section was tough, especially the comprehension part - I couldn't pick a thing, even the options are so abstruse. This section dampened the high spirit with which I entered the exam hall. Well no shit! I said to myself.
The next section - quant- rekindled my mood and it went well. Lemme spare you the unnecessary...
At the end of the whole "pararos" I got 304 (V- 149 Q- 155).
To be candid, I was so disappointed because I expected something better than that from myself. But I was happy I wrote the exam cos the experience "is not from here"

Advice
First I'll like to state my mistakes so that those preparing to take GRE will learn from them.
1. I was inconsistent in preparation. I started preparing for GRE last year November, then I stopped for some months and I resumed back around July. So I assumed I have learnt enough and I didn't bother revisiting the topics that I've seen before July.

2. Over confidence. It got to a point that I was so relaxed that I believed there's nothing new in GRE because I've solved a plethora of questions.

The gurus has been hammering on PRACTICE. This advise cannot be over emphasized. But me go add mastering of rules and shortcuts.

Please pardon my incoherence.....

Layez baba... You too much. I appreciate everything without you na like 270 I for get. Thanks man!
Daeji boss me self Don join Una oo.

And to bosses - Danjaninja, sirriddy, pennstate, et al... Abeg I go need Una advice for application. I wanted to apply for PhD straight but my GRE score isn't competitive enough. Make Una help me

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GREcoach: 12:46pm On Sep 20, 2016
@ JummyBecks. A 304 score coupled with a good analytical writing score is still quite adequate provided its properly targeted and utilised. Wishing you all the best as you await your AWA score
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tblvck: 2:59pm On Sep 20, 2016
iCool:

Use your 'church mind' to time yourself while taking the test. grin

Divide the total time given by the number of questions and get the 'seconds allowed/question'.

While solving, skip questions you have difficulties solving and later return to them (if time remains) OR carefully strike out unlikely options and pick an option you know feel is correct right.

All questions carry equal marks & there's no negative marking

Leave the difficult ones and score cheap points on the easier ones FIRST.

@happyday. Good job keeping the thread alive! smiley

quantitative comparison questions chop all my time, am so scared to choose any answer for those ones that don't have a final value, will you advise I skip all the qc questions, solve the multiple choice, data interpretation and the rest then when done go back to qc?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 20, 2016
GREcoach:
@ JummyBecks. A 304 score coupled with a good analytical writing score is still quite adequate provided its properly targeted and utilised. Wishing you all the best as you await your AWA score
Thanks man... I shall utilize it well. Will intensify my searching for school
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 4:37pm On Sep 20, 2016
tblvck:

quantitative comparison questions chop all my time, am so scared to choose any answer for those ones that don't have a final value, will you advise I skip all the qc questions, solve the multiple choice, data interpretation and the rest then when done go back to qc?

Skipping the unknown questions to grab the easier known questions is your best bet, else you lose BOTH the unknown questions and unanswered known questions. Too much know know tongue

@Jumybecks. Thanks for the tips.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DammyChrist(m): 6:11pm On Sep 20, 2016
battoyyeb:

Your email?
akamodamilola@gmail
thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tblvck: 6:44pm On Sep 20, 2016
iCool:

Skipping the unknown questions to grab the easier known questions is your best bet, else you lose BOTH the unknown questions and unanswered known questions. Too much know know tongue

@Jumybecks. Thanks for the tips.

lol.. thats funny, thanks for the advise, will take practice tests and try to figure out a better strategy, which other free tests are there?
Have written barron, powerprep, manhattan, just registered for kaplan, which other ones are available?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 8:18pm On Sep 20, 2016
cuspy:

I Sent them to your email - the main book and the verbal workout.

Helenmi, done too.
Hi, I just sent you a pm. Please I'd like to have soft copies of the two books. Thank you!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ipledge01: 8:46pm On Sep 20, 2016
I've been trying to login on ets website but it keeps on showing invalid login details. Is anyone experiencing same?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 21, 2016
tblvck:

lol.. thats funny, thanks for the advise, will take practice tests and try to figure out a better strategy, which other free tests are there?
Have written barron, powerprep, manhattan, just registered for kaplan, which other ones are available?
Crunchprep and Princeton
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jlakesideo(f): 10:42am On Sep 21, 2016
ipledge01:
I've been trying to login on ets website but it keeps on showing invalid login details. Is anyone experiencing same?
Yeah, experiencing d same also.. I've sent ETS a couple of mails but no response yet...And my exam is on the 30th of Oct.(Though I have my confirmation slip in my email).

GURUS,
Please, I had a skype interview yesterday with the Prof I mailed, and I must say, it was so smooth (Thanks to happyday for that insightful tips), We spoke for about 1hr (very interactive).. But a little problem...

The problem is, The Prof said I should apply for a PhD program But I must be sincere to myself, I do not have the required cgpa(Though it wasn't stated on the school webpage). I had a cgpa of 3.54/5 but I will try as much as possible to do well on the GRE . I'm kinda scared because I don't wanna waste my time, money and effort on what I knw the percent of it assurance, Am I being pessimistic?(YES, I am) and besides the school is an IVY school (Brown University in Rhode Island)..

Any input from you guys?.. Please what should I do
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ipledge01: 11:27am On Sep 21, 2016
jlakesideo:

Yeah, experiencing d same also.. I've sent ETS a couple of mails but no response yet...And my exam is on the 30th of Oct.(Though I have my confirmation slip in my email).

GURUS,
Please, I had a skype interview yesterday with the Prof I mailed, and I must say, it was so smooth (Thanks to happyday for that insightful tips), We spoke for about 1hr (very interactive).. But a little problem...

The problem is, The Prof said I should apply for a PhD program But I must be sincere to myself, I do not have the required cgpa(Though it wasn't stated on the school webpage). I had a cgpa of 3.54/5 but I will try as much as possible to do well on the GRE . I'm kinda scared because I don't wanna waste my time, money and effort on what I knw the percent of it assurance, Am I being pessimistic?(YES, I am) and besides the school is an IVY school (Brown University in Rhode Island)..

Thanks I've re-register.

Since the Prof has said you should apply for a PhD it means he sees something huge in your potential which you are not seeing. you have no worries babe. Your admission and funding is guaranteed. Just focus on your GRE.

BTW which course are you going for?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jlakesideo(f): 2:27pm On Sep 21, 2016
ipledge01:

Thanks I've re-register.

Since the Prof has said you should apply for a PhD it means he sees something huge in your potential which you are not seeing. you have no worries babe. Your admission and funding is guaranteed. Just focus on your GRE.

BTW which course are you going for?
Thanks bro..
How did you re-register?.. I have registered for my GRE before last month and I chose 30th of Oct,.. Then d confirmation slip, showing the appointment number and test venue was sent immediately to my email.. But when I try to login again, its saying some crap shiit.. I just hope it won't affect my test-date,.. And I don mail ETS tire.. No response from them..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 2:34pm On Sep 21, 2016
jlakesideo:

GURUS,

Waoh! That the Prof encouraged you to apply is a very very good sign. It means, he feels you should be able to cope with the rigours of a PhD program, irrespective of your undergrad GPA. When you mentioned problem, I was thinking you would say you have no interest in pursuing a PhD. But, since it's about your GPA, the best option is to mail the prof.

State your concerns, and tell him everything you've mentioned here. About your pessimism and anxiety. Just let him see the interest in you that you would love to explore the challenges and rigors of academic research. Profs are human beings too, you know.

Brown University speaks volumes any day, but note that, a prof can single-handedly fight for you at the admissions committee, if he thinks you deserve it. Make him think you would be a great addition to his grad research team.

All the best!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jlakesideo(f): 4:12pm On Sep 21, 2016
happyday:

Waoh! That the Prof encouraged you to apply is a very very good sign. It means, he feels you should be able to cope with the rigours of a PhD program, irrespective of your undergrad GPA. When you mentioned problem, I was thinking you would say you have no interest in pursuing a PhD. But, since it's about your GPA, the best option is to mail the prof.

State your concerns, and tell him everything you've mentioned here. About your pessimism and anxiety. Just let him see the interest in you that you would love to explore the challenges and rigors of academic research. Profs are human beings too, you know.

Brown University speaks volumes any day, but note that, a prof can single-handedly fight for you at the admissions committee, if he thinks you deserve it. Make him think you would be a great addition to his grad research team.

All the best!
Thanks happyday.. God will bless you..

If I had known that Brown university is a top school, I wouldn't even have mailed the Prof.. I thought its one of this "yao yao" school that can easily give admission with fundings.. I just discovered that a day prior to my skype interview date.. I have all the prerequisites and but CGPA is very low and getting 320 on GRE is "eehhnn" (Though there is no stated GRE score on the website and the Prof just said "just do well in your GRE ).. But I can promise my destiny of getting 300-310 cos me I be olodo and I dey work full-time but am improving ever since I've been utilising my free hours to study..

Thanks for yesterday bro..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:02pm On Sep 21, 2016
jlakesideo:

If I had known that Brown university is a top school, I wouldn't even have mailed the Prof.. I thought its one of this "yao yao" school that can easily give admission with fundings.. I just discovered that a day prior to my skype interview date.. I have all the prerequisites and but CGPA is very low and getting 320 on GRE is "eehhnn" (Though there is no stated GRE score on the website and the Prof just said "just do well in your GRE ).. But I can promise my destiny of getting 300-310 cos me I be olodo and I dey work full-time but am improving ever since I've been utilising my free hours to study..

The richer the school, the less they care about your money. Brown is rich and top-notch. Trust me, if he thought your GPA was too low for their program, he wouldn't have invited you to an interview. So yeah, do as he says. Focus on the GRE. And also, you can do very well. 320+ is doable. Profs don't just reply emails, talk more schedule an interview. He believes in you. The question is, do you believe in yourself?

Go give it what it takes.

Have you sent him an email? Thank him for the interview, stating what you gained and how you were impressed, then round up with your fears. Will he tell you not to apply, and block off your future emails? Or tell you what you need to do?

There's only one way to find out!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 7:25pm On Sep 21, 2016
jlakesideo:

GURUS,

Brown!!!!! Apply already girl!!! I wish I could get a Prof to talk to me like that. You are so lucky! My own GPA is 4.3/5 BSc, 4/4 MSc and no one is replying my mails, let alone talk to me.... cry

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 4:11am On Sep 22, 2016
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 4:16am On Sep 22, 2016
jlakesideo:

You do not know what you are about to get that is why you are talking like this. Let me tell you something, a professor have an absolute say of who and who not to admit to work in his/lab at PhD level. Just try to meet the minimum graduate school requirement, you will be fine. I personally think he has accepted you already stay positive.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ0987(f): 2:35pm On Sep 22, 2016
Hello friends,

Kindly help with soft copy of princeton review, i need it for my verbal.

Thanks guys...

My laptop is windows 7, however the power prep version i have wont work on my laptop; it says my system is outdated. Please who can send me a windows 7 version of the power prep?

Thanks again.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lollyij(m): 10:49am On Sep 23, 2016
The Manhattan GRE strategy guide... inside it contains practice questions at the end of each modules of the Quant.. don't know of English tho.. ....in each modules contains Easy, Medium and Hard practice question set..... The easy and medium questions are okay... but the hard practice question set is crazy..not getting it like dat... pls gurus on dis..ur advice will be needed... cause am battling with dat part gan...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hirschfelder: 5:29pm On Sep 23, 2016
Hello Good People,

I am currently preparing to take the GRE, and I have to say a big thank you to all the contributors on this thread. Y'all have made everything much easier. Now, I have a problem. After studying for approx. 5 weeks, I decided to try out online practice tests. I tried out Manhattan and CrunchPrep as suggested by someone here. I did appreciably well on Manhattan (320+). My quant score for the Crunchprep was highly discouraging, and I am seriously considering scheduling for a later date so that I may prepare further. So, I would like to know if anyone here has taken this Crunchprep test before his actual GRE exam. How does crunchprep quantitative GRE compare to the actual exam? Please I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone as the Second Quantitative on my crunchprep practice was scaringly hard/time consuming......

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.