Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:37 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (173) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1336860 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 10:21am On Jan 20, 2017
@Scholastica16. Congrats! The wait is finally over. Nice scores you got. I can smell some grants coming your way.

@Toakins. You did well too! Congratulations.

Glad success stories are coming in.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by essayHelp(m): 11:48am On Jan 20, 2017
EmanA1928:

This is not necessarily correct. Some schools will exempt one from english language tests if you possess a masters degree from the UK. always check the departmental website or university website if in doubt. Eg, university of mississippi and university of wisconsin will exempt one from IELTS/TOEFL if you have a masters degree from the UK.

Thanks for the clarification. Ultimately, though, it is good practice to mail the graduate coordinator regarding such requests.

However, when they say "must have earned a higher/tertiary degree" in countries like the UK, they usually mean a four year bachelors degree. A one year UK master's degree is usually too short for English proficiency exemption.

http://gradschool.olemiss.edu/prospective-students/overview-of-application-process/

If it's not too much bother, could you share a specific link?

Regards.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Jayroland: 1:58pm On Jan 20, 2017
ponpon:
use the search box on here it has been posted severally and you can use gre.kmf.com they have magoosh questions

kindly add me on the facebook gre group
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 3:03pm On Jan 20, 2017
Massive congratulations to you. I sincerely pray it all works out in the end. All the best!!!!!!
Scholastica16:
Thanks to everyone who kept asking and showing concern. My TOEFL was released today.

(R 29 L 29 S 26 W 28) composite: 112

Nothing earth-shattering. The highlight of my score is my speaking of 26 (which I didn't expect as I had informed the house earlier that I barely ever finished explaining myself when the time elapsed. One other time I meant to say 'dilemma' (someone was stuck between choices) and I ended up saying 'debacle'. Quickly changed it to predicament which is a good synonym for dilemma. I felt it would come-out imprecise to whoever was scoring me sha but it is whatever. Lowlight will be the writing joor. I expected a full 30 as I constantly compared myself to the Indians and Russians online that got 115-118 with perfect Writing scores.

I want to accuse ETS of malfeasance and demographic bias in scoring but I don't have empirical evidence. grin

I know this is a GRE thread but if anyone is preparing for TOEFL especially the speaking aspect do not panic if you are talking and you see the seconds ticking away. The evidence shows that one's overall score is not affected by this. Do not also panic if you finish talking way before the time. I don't think it hurts one's overall score as well. Try to pronounce your words slowly (many don't know this but Nigerians are accused of talking too fast).

Cheers.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by otis3(m): 3:04pm On Jan 20, 2017
Pls house I need manhattan 1-6 gre material I have others. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by EmanA1928(m): 5:15pm On Jan 20, 2017
@ essayHelp, like i said its good practice to email grad coordinators.
"However, when they say "must have earned a higher/tertiary degree" in countries like the UK, they usually mean a four year bachelors degree. A one year UK master's degree is usually too short for English proficiency exemption.
Am yet to hear any of the schools i emailed say that so i guess thats your interpretation. University of Mississippi waived the english language requirement for me when i sent an email with a copy of my certificate fron a UK uni. For the other school i mentioned, it was automatic on my application page as soon as i completed the fields for my education.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by layez: 5:26pm On Jan 20, 2017
otis3:
Pls house I need manhattan 1-6 gre material I have others. Thanks
Check the last few pages, pg 170 or so, ponpon posted a link
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:28pm On Jan 20, 2017
sirRiddy:
Thank you for sharing your experience.
That is a very good score.
Hopefully you get good admission and funding offers.
It would be a honor to read all that too. Good luck smiley

Baba, I have been a guest on this thread since 2015. I learnt alot from your experience truth be told. I also knew about KSU because of you as well. Thank you for the words of encouragement and AMEN @ good admission and funding, because that's where all these things matter. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:32pm On Jan 20, 2017
kunbeeee:
Thanks. I guess he was just trying to indicate that I had some form of experience in the field. My preparation for graduate study was in a different paragraph

Thanks dear for the other message.

Any experience is good as long as it can be tailored to suit your motivation for graduate work. I interned with a company affiliated with our national oil company and I won't call the experience exactly research but I somehow made it look like that experience led to my final year research project. In actual fact, this is true but you get the point. As long as he could relate how that experience in Power Systems engineering showed him something about your ability to survive graduate work, you are good to go.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:33pm On Jan 20, 2017
Time2Smile:

Whoa, Congratulations. Such a brilliant score, I agree with you on the TOEFL writing, I don't know what they are smoking over at ETS.

LOL. Thanks chief. Are you done with your applications? UofH's deadline should be February 1 or 15? I applied there too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:37pm On Jan 20, 2017
Topiipii:

Congrats on the wonderful scores, I dey envy you right now. smiley

Wash me small but not with detergent baba. Even your GRE repeat wey you say you no too dey happy with still pass my improvement. LOL. Na me suppose dey envy you. The importance of AWA and Speaking score are exaggerated when one compares how large the composites are to them.

BTW what's your major and did you reapply to the same schools?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2017
ponpon:
El grand classico, la perfect profile now... Shoot for the stars sir

Thanks man. You have been invaluable to this thread. I am sure everyone will agree.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:39pm On Jan 20, 2017
seeker88:

What a brilliant performance! The wait is finally over....congrats man!

Thanks Seeker88, you always asked about it. I really appreciate. Did you still continue with that school?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2017
andradaeze:

Congratulations! You killed the TOEFL test. That your speaking score can really do a lot.
Wishing... wink

Thanks dear. I read all your posts on this thread including your GRE experience. You'd make a good teacher. Hope you know.

You took the TOEFL as well. How was yours?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:42pm On Jan 20, 2017
iCool:
@Scholastica16. Congrats! The wait is finally over. Nice scores you got. I can smell some grants coming your way.

@Toakins. You did well too! Congratulations.

Glad success stories are coming in.

Amen @ emboldened oh. I pray that for us all, with you in particular.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
Ndawe:
Massive congratulations to you. I sincerely pray it all works out in the end. All the best!!!!!!

Thanks dear. I pray so for your too. I hope the recommendations that guy gave you look promising.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 20, 2017
Tunmise100:
I am planning to write my exam in the last week of june and want to begin preparation nextweek monday. if you re ready lets form a team so we can read together and keep a eye on ourselves. i will appreciate 08169726670 or tunmiseopeoluwa@yahoo.com or tunmise ope on facebook. PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE.
Great Coincidence! I'm aslo in for this. Seems we are in the same league. which schools are you aiming at?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tunmise100(m): 9:27pm On Jan 20, 2017
Schrodinger1:

Great Coincidence! I'm aslo in for this. Seems we are in the same league. which schools are you aiming at?

AIMING AT TOP UNIVERSITIES BROTHER, SCHOOLS LIKE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON AND OTHERS, NOT FORGETTING THE IVY LEAGUES. CONTACT ME ND LETS BEGIN.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 12:47am On Jan 21, 2017
EmanA1928:
@ essayHelp, like i said its good practice to email grad coordinators.
"However, when they say "must have earned a higher/tertiary degree" in countries like the UK, they usually mean a four year bachelors degree. A one year UK master's degree is usually too short for English proficiency exemption.
Am yet to hear any of the schools i emailed say that so i guess thats your interpretation. University of Mississippi waived the english language requirement for me when i sent an email with a copy of my certificate fron a UK uni. For the other school i mentioned, it was automatic on my application page as soon as i completed the fields for my education.
essayHelp:

Thanks for the clarification. Ultimately, though, it is good practice to mail the graduate coordinator regarding such requests.

However, when they say "must have earned a higher/tertiary degree" in countries like the UK, they usually mean a four year bachelors degree. A one year UK master's degree is usually too short for English proficiency exemption.

http://gradschool.olemiss.edu/prospective-students/overview-of-application-process/
If it's not too much bother, could you share a specific link?

Regards.
EmanA1928 is right. I was of essayHelp's opinion when I was researching schools and noticed most schools needed English proficiency test regardless of where you schooled unless you are a citizen of an English speaking country. To my utter shock, after I submitted my applications, more than half of my prospective schools waived it for me for reasons best known to them. I was actually upset because it felt like I didn't need to spend my money writing TOEFL in the first place.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 12:52am On Jan 21, 2017
Scholastica16:

Wash me small but not with detergent baba. Even your GRE repeat wey you say you no too dey happy with still pass my improvement. LOL. Na me suppose dey envy you. The importance of AWA and Speaking score are exaggerated when one compares how large the composites are to them.

BTW what's your major and did you reapply to the same schools?
You go dey pose, you go dey denge denge, no nwa. Hmmmmmm.... After all the complaints ehn.... you just go murder GRE and TOEFL. Dia ris God oh. In my next world, I go sabi book like you. Congrats man! The patient dog surely eats the fattest bone!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tbells91(f): 1:04am On Jan 21, 2017
Time2Smile:

Whoa, Congratulations. Such a brilliant score, I agree with you on the TOEFL writing, I don't know what they are smoking over at ETS.

Hello.. I have sent you a PM.. Please reply.. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by goodemma20(m): 8:23am On Jan 21, 2017
OGreene:
So yes, its my personal decision. I dont feel it will help anyone. I have added what i didnt do that others should do.

And like i said, if i have any info that i know will help others, i put it forward (I have done that in the past). So this has nothing to do with selfishness.

OGreene is simply ashamed of his scores
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by vikings809: 9:41am On Jan 21, 2017
Thanks towbaynah for your suggestions.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by vikings809: 9:42am On Jan 21, 2017
goodemma20:
OGreene is simply ashamed of his scores

He's the proud type. I don't see any issue with it actually. NL is a faceless forum.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 21, 2017
Tunmise100:

AIMING AT TOP UNIVERSITIES BROTHER, SCHOOLS LIKE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON AND OTHERS, NOT FORGETTING THE IVY LEAGUES. CONTACT ME ND LETS BEGIN.
Noted! I've just Mailed you. lets start from there.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 21, 2017
Scholastica16:

Thanks dear. I read all your posts on this thread including your GRE experience. You'd make a good teacher. Hope you know.

Really, about making a good teacher? smiley Thanks for the compliment. That is kind of you. As for my TOEFL, I scored 109(R28 W28 L29 S24). I was a bit disappointed with my speaking score because I had to change some schools who required higher speaking scores. Lol. I was not about to take chances with obtaining GA positions.

That your 26 score makes too much sense. All the best in your application.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 11:34am On Jan 21, 2017
Scholastica16:

Thanks Seeker88, you always asked about it. I really appreciate. Did you still continue with that school?
You're welcome boss! In my next word, I want to sabi book like u wink grin
Thanks for asking. Yea, I got a response from the grad coordinator few hours after sending him d email. Here's his response:

Dear Seeker88,
You can upload your transcript as unofficial copy. This will allow the process to go forward and you may be admitted conditionally if you satisfy GPA and GRE requirements. The condition will be removed when the University receives your official transcript at a later, - reasonable time.

However, I still got another mail yesterday from the Office of Graduate Admission saying that my application is incomplete and cannot be forwarded to my graduate department. So I'm still confused angry

Maybe I should show d grad coordinator a copy of d email from d office of graduate admission
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by habig1: 2:00pm On Jan 21, 2017
Hello house,pls am new here.I have some questions and I will appreciate your good response.

(1)Please I need latest practice materials for GRE and possible guide to score high marks,as I would like to write d exam latest by june .Here is my email:harlyhabeeb@gmail.com

(2) I will love to go for my MSc in US/Canada in area of Electrical Engineering ,but I need you to suggest schools that give tuition scholarship for me ,as many schools as possible...my area of interest is renewable energy .Guides on how I can obtain d scholarship will b welcome.
please
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 2:32pm On Jan 21, 2017
habig1:

(1)Please I need latest practice materials for GRE and possible guide to score high marks,as I would like to write d exam latest by june .Here is my email:harlyhabeeb@gmail.com

For Materials, read 10 pages back.
For guides, read from page 100. The most recent experiences of test takers is available therein.

(2) I will love to go for my MSc in US/Canada in area of Electrical Engineering ,but I need you to suggest schools that give tuition scholarship for me ,as many schools as possible...my area of interest is renewable energy .Guides on how I can obtain d scholarship will b welcome.
please

Use this link and search for electrical as a major, then proceed to your specialization from there.

http://www.findengineeringschools.org/Search/Majors/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by habig1: 2:40pm On Jan 21, 2017
iCool:

For Materials, read 10 pages back.
For guides, read from page 100. The most recent experiences of test takers is available therein.

Use this link and search for electrical as a major, then proceed to your specialization from there.

http://www.findengineeringschools.org/Search/Majors/

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tunmise100(m): 2:49pm On Jan 21, 2017
habig1:

Thanks

JOIN OUR TEAM AND LETS PREPARE TOGETHER.
WE ARE ALREADY THREE NAIRALANDER IN THE GROUP. WE PLAN AHEAD OF JUNE. TO JOIN CALL ME ON 08169726670 OR MAIL ME: tunmiseopeoluwa@yahoo.com
PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 4:54pm On Jan 21, 2017
Scholastica16:

Hmmmmmm! Finally, another confirmation!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.