Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,466 members, 7,801,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (193) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1344938 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by towbaynah(m): 12:08am On Feb 17, 2017
Bolisticbond026:
The rate at which admission is flowing in this forum will be directly proportional to funding soonest just calm down guys and put all your trust in the supreme being (GOD) he only can grants our heart desires. Drhope just calm down your admission and funding is coming very soon.Guys i need clarifications on WES evaluation how to go about it and how to send evaluated transcript to prospective school.The second thing is when is the proper time to start sending mail to prospective faculty member in order to show interest in his research area.

I think you'd have to go to your Alma mater to find out about WES. That's how I went about mine.

As for the mailing thing, mail them yesterday. Decisions are already being made, so I suggest you send those emails right now if you can.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by towbaynah(m): 12:10am On Feb 17, 2017
jaybiz007:
My status so far:
K-state: Admitted for Msc (No funding). I emailed my assigned faculty advisor but I'm yet to get a reply till now.

Florida State University: Admitted for Ph.D. (still awaiting funding decision)

That funding from Florida State is certain. Congratulations, pal.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 5:51am On Feb 17, 2017
Scholastica16:
Regret mail from LSU. They say they hope the regret will not discourage me from pursuing graduate program in other schools. Congrats to those who got it.
I am really sorry. Don't mind them. With your wonderful test scores...they are not serious. Let's look forward to better news! It's well.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 5:52am On Feb 17, 2017
Congrats to the babas with admissions!!!! Please start getting ready for visa interviews! One love! We shall all conquer together.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 6:06am On Feb 17, 2017
OluDare01:

Hey man! I know nothing about the school.
I'm in Tennessee tech
Okay sir.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 6:10am On Feb 17, 2017
towbaynah:

That funding from Florida State is certain. Congratulations, pal.
Aameen. Yours is coming too bro. Trumpland await you. @seeker88, thanks man.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 6:50am On Feb 17, 2017
Ohhh....

Dont think too much about it. 7 more to go. You will get lots of acceptances. Your profile is great. Am sure LSU noticed too.

Remain positive.

Scholastica16:
Regret mail from LSU. They say they hope the regret will not discourage me from pursuing graduate program in other schools. Congrats to those who got it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 7:58am On Feb 17, 2017
Hello Sir, I'm sorry I don't have oh. I didn't write either of them..
dozzynet:

Greetings ma'am! Can I get TOEFL and IELTS materials from you please?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 8:03am On Feb 17, 2017
jaybiz007:

Okay sir.
Congrats on your admission grin
Florida has Naija kinda weather,you no go freeze cheesy but the summer na die o.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:26am On Feb 17, 2017
jaybiz007:
My status so far:
K-state: Admitted for Msc (No funding). I emailed my assigned faculty advisor but I'm yet to get a reply till now.

Florida State University: Admitted for Ph.D. (still awaiting funding decision)

grin wink grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 9:38am On Feb 17, 2017
OluDare01:

Congrats on your admission grin
Florida has Naija kinda weather,you no go freeze cheesy but the summer na die o.
E hot? shocked shocked shocked
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 9:39am On Feb 17, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ipledge01: 10:12am On Feb 17, 2017
Scholastica16:

Oops, sorry to hear this. Me I don dey fear self embarassed embarassed cry, if they can deny a great profile like yours wetin make we con do.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 12:06pm On Feb 17, 2017
Scholastica16:

Baba, u r in a very good standing, d good news is just around the corner. Keep believing boss

N to think they av been sending me mail to complete their application every week undecided
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hirschfelder: 1:10pm On Feb 17, 2017
Scholastica16:

Sad to hear, hopefully you will get into way better programs!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hirschfelder: 1:15pm On Feb 17, 2017
Scholastica16:

Intimidators.

Intimidate us. grin

Where is Hirschfelder?

He is somewhere, waiting nervously. Lol. I got rejected from Notre Dame so far. Waiting on others. Getting quite antsy though, since people be posting acceptances for my program all over GradCafe! I pray we all get into great programs at the end!!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bolisticbond026: 1:28pm On Feb 17, 2017
@Tobaynah i sent you a pm i will love to ask you some questions.Thanks for dat reply i do appreciate.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 1:47pm On Feb 17, 2017
Congrats to everyone who got admission, more good news on the way

@Scholastica16, I am sure you would get others, stay positive.

@Jaybiz007 I don't know much about University of Nevada, Reno except that it is a tier 1 university, which makes it to be highly focused on research and pretty good
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 2:36pm On Feb 17, 2017
jaybiz007:

E hot? shocked shocked shocked
I no talk anything o.
I'd leave you to find out. grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 2:56pm On Feb 17, 2017
Scholastica16:
Sorry to hear about this, I'm sure you'll receive great news soon.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 12:06am On Feb 18, 2017
SirRiddy, MAY GOD BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY!

I want to break the silence here today....

I was encouraged to ask about funding by SirRiddy and not form OmoBabaOlowo, I did ask and TAMUK just replied me in roughly 24hrs with an offer of $1k annual scholarship and I'll pay in-state tuition! The remaining fees required are what can be "hustled-out".

If and When I get a GA, talk don finish! I will be attending school on a financial stress-free level. smiley smiley cheesy

Make una join me thank God ooo. #TexasIsCalling

I dey come reply una congratulatory messages, make I go drink 1 bottle of wine first... cheesy grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 1:41am On Feb 18, 2017
A big kudos to the folks who constantly ensure the survival and continuity of this thread. Congratulations in advance to those who are awaiting admission (funding) decisions from schools.

I took the TOEFL on Saturday, 11th of February 2017. Even though I am not too pleased with the score, it is expedient that I post my experience.

My preparation was quite rocky, as I was in a strait betwixt two; vacillating between the difficulty of Kaplan and the actual ETS. My first advice is to totally ignore the urge to practice KAPLAN tests. Its a far cry from the actual test. It is filled with recondite passages and utterly disparate questions which belies the TOEFL, presenting it harder than it actually is. The ETS official guide is enough to do the job. Videos by Notefull and ouliogroove on youtube helped me understand the structure of the test and presented sample questions for the writing and speaking section. I also used the official ETS guide, Kaplan text, and a couple of other books in the course of my preparation. I had few hours of intense study which aided (perhaps, marred ) my preparation.

Another key agenda of worthy of note is that ETS allows you to send your TOEFL scores to 4 institutions for free till 10pm before the actual test day. Not many people are privy to this, and I was almost a victim. My procrastination left me with about 20 schools on my radar at the time, making it extremely difficult to make pinpoint decisions. I would definitely narrow it down before my GRE.

I got to the Test centre; JKK, ilupeju, about 30 minutes before 10am and they had begun the process of checking students in. I did the needful, presented my passport, and started in no time. I made sure I was one of the first to enter the hall, as I got the notion that entering late might affect my listening section, especially when the early birds are making so much noise, battling with their speaking section.

I particularly found the Speaking and Listening section easy, maybe because I spent ample time on each question, making sure I reviewed my answers sedulously before moving on to the next. I used tips from ETS official guide to decipher the kind of question to expect and how to avoid common pitfalls. In the course of my 10 minutes break, I hurriedly took my lucozade boost to lubricate the dryness in my throat. I then held random chats with a couple of test takers, asking about their experience and expectations. This was a dry run, to make sure I was well versed for my speaking section.

The speaking section began, with question 1 and 2 seeming quite a walkover. Question 3-6 required more skill, as regards the format and using specific keywords. I tried to be spontaneous, as well as rigid; adhering strictly to the format I learned. Tips from the youtube videos I watched proved invaluable. When I got to the writing section, I was already feeling soporific and this was surprising as I was accustomed to taking practice tests over a long stretch. I did my best in the first part, and had ample time to review my work. I barely finished writing the second part when I ran out of time.

I got my test result on the 17th of February via email.
Total score: 107
Reading: 28
Listening: 30
Speaking: 24
Writing: 25

Preparation continues for the Ultimate GRE. My quest to come up with a catchy maxim like Time2smile's has proved futile, perhaps when I smash the GRE, something better will come up. I am a Fall '18 applicant by the way.

#Selah

14 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:49am On Feb 18, 2017
RexCheeng
Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience with others.
Hope you do as great in your GRE as well.
While doing that, also start your ground work for applications.
1. Start searching for schools and emailing key people in the program.
Make sure you are aware of admission requirements and funding options
of the schools you are interested in.
2. Start thinking about what your SOP will be like.
3. Start making a resume for grad school application.
4. Start using sites like quora, magoosh, msinus, gradcafe and tons of FB groups
where you can get acquainted with programs in your field.

Put your all in the GRE and your opportunities would become way abundant.
Then post your experience again so we can learn wink
Good luck!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:52am On Feb 18, 2017
LOL you are talking like a real OBO in this Buhari economy and Trump disaster era.
Be sure of all your financial obligations before booking a plane ticket to avoid stories
that touch. The exchange rate is not smiling and the in-state tuition itself is not the best
deal these times to be honest. Forget all this 'hustling' o. When tuition is waived, your mind fit rest and face classes.
GA or no deal o. Wish you the best and hope you get something good smiley

iCool:

I was encouraged to ask about funding by SirRiddy and not form OmoBabaOlowo, I did ask and TAMUK just replied me in roughly 24hrs with an offer of $1k annual scholarship and I'll pay in-state tuition! The remaining fees required are what can be "hustled-out".

If and When I get a GA, talk don finish! I will be attending school on a financial stress-free level. smiley smiley cheesy

I dey come reply una congratulatory messages, make I go drink 1 bottle of wine first... cheesy grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 7:43am On Feb 18, 2017
sirRiddy:
LOL you are talking like a real OBO in this Buhari economy and Trump disaster era.
Be sure of all your financial obligations before booking a plane ticket to avoid stories
that touch. The exchange rate is not smiling and the in-state tuition itself is not the best
deal these times to be honest. Forget all this 'hustling' o. When tuition is waived, your mind fit rest and face classes.

Bossman, I never believed those schools could drop their 1cent for free.

I am very optimistic I can get more from them since the dollars have started dropping already, because I will not be battling for funding from scratch.

Lemme give them a little breathing space smiley while waiting for the final 3 decisions also.

[s]About hustling, while still in Nigeria between now and July pepper suppose rest.[/s] grin

Thanks man.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 7:55am On Feb 18, 2017
Next stage is getting more funding, How do I go about getting tuition fully waived?

Lamar has about $5k as instate, TAMUK has about 3k5 as instate tuition. I am also aware of the associated costs.

When will be the best time to submit my financial statement?

Is a further tuition waiver more feasible than an assistantship?

Answers are very welcome.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:04am On Feb 18, 2017
Good morning all. Please is the GCPA obtained from the WES iGPA calculator by manually inputing all your grades the exact same as that obtained when you send your official transcript to them? If I am getting say 3.61/4, is that going to be my official evaluation?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 9:41am On Feb 18, 2017
Thank God. Must be a wonderful feeling. Celebrate cool

*financial stress-free level* We all need this badly. The fx ish isnt looking good each passing day. Without funding, person go just siddon for naija.

iCool:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shayhune: 10:19am On Feb 18, 2017
sirRiddy:

Lol. The guy na hustler grin

As for me, I unequivocally told my grad cord that it's either funding or no deal(but na after I don accept their offer cheesy)

I can't afford to start thinking of how to sort my bills in Trumpland due to this terrible exchange rate.

@icool. Abeg show me the way make pepper rest for my side too before August grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 11:04am On Feb 18, 2017
@OGreene. Thanks.

shayhune:

Lol. The guy na hustler grin

As for me, I unequivocally told my grad cord that it's either funding or no deal(but na after I don accept their offer cheesy)

@icool. Abeg show me the way make pepper rest for my side too before August grin
1. Did they initially give you any funding?
2. What magnitude of funding are you requesting for now?

Master, I deh work o so small bread deh enter. August still far, maybe I sell one kidney take complete the money. grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 12:00pm On Feb 18, 2017
RexCheeng:
A big kudos to the folks who constantly ensure the survival and continuity of this thread. Congratulations in advance to those who are awaiting admission (funding) decisions from schools.

I took the TOEFL on Saturday, 11th of February 2017. Even though I am not too pleased with the score, it is expedient that I post my experience.

I got my test result on the 17th of February via email.
Total score: 107
Reading: 28
Listening: 30
Speaking: 24
Writing: 25

Preparation continues for the Ultimate GRE. My quest to come up with a catchy maxim like Time2smile's has proved futile, perhaps when I smash the GRE, something better will come up. I am a Fall '18 applicant by the way.

#Selah
Congratulations, how do you reconcile the two(2) bolded portion above?. By any yardstick 107 with a minimum section of 24 is a very good score. By the way which maxim are you talking about? grin grin grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by eusuph99: 4:13pm On Feb 18, 2017
kaima2015:

drop email pls
Pls send the books to eusuphzain99@gmail.com.

(1) (2) (3) ... (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.